PDA

View Full Version : 2012: Senate Contenders Part I

Imperial
11-13-2010, 01:55 AM
We must first begin with an understanding. The idea of targeting every single Senate seat in 2012 is silly- such sets are multi-million dollar affairs, and require us to raise at least $1 million to be effective in the primary. So I propose that we target a certain number of seats, 5 maximum. In order to determine these seats, I provide some analysis of each seat up for election in 2012 and give it a designation:

INDEX:
DOA- Dead on arrival. We gain nothing targeting this seat.
LOW PRIORITY- There could be an opportunity here if the local environment turns positive or some outside groups jump in, but we cannot devote too many resources to such a seat.
HIGH PRIORITY- With the right candidate, this should be a seat that warrants significant attention from the grassroots.
UNSURE- This could be a problem of the right candidate. The environment is perfect, but who would fill the shoes?

Note: I am aware about 2/3rds of the Senate seats are left out here. I will be writing those up at a later point.

Feinstein - D - CA

We are not going to have a GOP wave in 2012. Chuck Devore will not be able to win a Senate seat in this environment in liberal California. Maybe Tom Campbell with his moderate streak? LOW PRIORITY

Carper - D - DE

It is Delaware. DOA

Nelson - D - FL

Florida is too expensive of a state to run a legit liberty candidate. We do not have a big-name enough candidate to contest the seat. Let Jeb Bush and the big name Republicans duke it out- DOA

Akaka - D - HI
The only Republican with enough name rec in Hawaii is Laura Lingle. We have bigger priorities. DOA

Cardin - D - MD

Brian Murphy had a cool gubernatorial run in 2010; he got creamed by an establishment candidate in the primary. Said establishment candidate was soundly defeated in a soundly Republican year. 2012 will not be as friendly ; DOA.

Klobuchar - D - MN

Alas, my temporary home of Minneosta has few in the ranks of liberty candidate. State rep Mark Buesgens, who managed Republican Tom Emmer's gubernatorial campaign, could possibly gather the resources to challenge. We could also see another run from Pat Anderson, fresh off of a defeat in a tight Auditor's race. LOW PRIORITY

McKaskill - D - MO

Finally, a glimpse of optimism! Remember Sarah Steelman, the CFL friendly fiscal conservative who ran for Governor in 2008? Word on the street is she could make a comeback in the Senate race. Her conservative credentials are probably unmatchable, which will be handy in a GOP primary. This is a swing state, so although it will be an expensive match it could be winnable. HIGH PRIORITY

Tester - D - MT

I am not sure who would be a good candidate for this seat. With his national fundraising network from 08, maybe former Constitution Party presidential candidate Chuck Baldwin if he jumped parties? I am sure there are others too, although expect a healthy dose of social conservatism. LOW PRIORITY

Nelson - D - NE

This just screams Bart Stupak. Republicans don't like Nelson for voting for healthcare reform. Democrats don't like Nelson for his instrumental role in giving us the corporate mandate that HCR is today. Sadly, most of the candidates seem to be generic Republicans, although I don't know enough about this state's electoral situation to say for sure. But it is freaking Ben Nelson! UNSURE

Menendez - D - NJ

I don't think we can afford another Murray Sabrin campaign. Steve Lonegan ran a spirited conservative gubernatorial campaign in 2009. He is likely a bit too conservative for New Jersey, but if the national environment were favorable it could become interesting. State Senator Brian Doherty may also want a promotion at some point, although I see him waiting a couple years before trying to move up. LOW PRIORITY

Bingaman - D - NM

Confession time: I was one of the first ones to call for former Governor Gary Johnson to run for Senate here. I don't know where the thread went, but it listed a bunch of reasons why this would be ideal for both the presidential race and for an easy pickup for the liberty movement. To sum it up fairly succinctly, Gary Johnson could build a national name in the debates, then drop out and announce he would actually run for Senate while also endorsing Dr. Paul. With two terms as the state's old Governor, he would easily dominate the field and would probably be the only Republican who could knock out Bingaman. The problem is that Gary Johnson appears dead-set on running for President. If Johnson does not run for Senate, don't expect Adam Kokesh to be able to organize a statewide effort against whatever bigger names the GOP puts forward. HIGH PRIORITY if Gary Johnson runs; DOA otherwise

cindy25
11-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Feinstein is 77, she will be 79 in 2012; 85 in 2018

I doubt she will run

what about Michigan

Sen. Justin Amash sounds good

DeadheadForPaul
11-13-2010, 02:53 AM
For TN, we are trying to take down Bailout Bob Corker.
Representative Duncan would be a good replacement.
He's a member of the Republican Liberty Caucus

The question is whether he would run against a sitting Senator from his own party...

Corker has recently been casting more fiscally conservative votes - perhaps he sees the writing on the wall

Corker has decidedly come out in support of the FED btw

EndSlavery
11-13-2010, 03:10 AM
I'd like to see Duncan in TN and Rep. Jeff Flake (Arizona itself has 3 members of the Liberty Caucus in the house, so they could potentially elect a liberty-minded senator) primary Kyl in AZ. Those seem like winnable targets. I assume you'll mention those guys in a later part.

Regarding Johnson: If he loses some of the early primaries for POTUS, there is still time for him to file for the Republican primary in NM. Using info from 2008, the filing deadline was 2/29/2008 for senate in NM, and the primary took place on June 3. Plenty of time to mount a senate campaign, as you said. While I am hopeful for his chances in the presidential primaries, I'd love to see him win a senate seat if that doesn't work out.

Edit: Also, I think Montana is a perfect pickup opportunity. It is a traditionally Republican state in the west with rock-bottom priced media. In many ways it is like Alaska in 2010 - vetting potential liberty candidates in the primary will be crucial there.