Anti Federalist
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
My first thought was, "kids are still allowed to ride bikes to school?"

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

Officials Later Backtrack; Allow Boy to Fly Flag on Bike
Elissa Harrington

FOX40 News

November 12, 2010

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-americanflagbike11122010,0,3045879.htmlstory

DENAIR -
13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watch the video here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody had to take the flag off his bike and put it in his backpack, where he kept it all week.

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. And if it was an issue of safety, parents should have been contacted.

Hear from the Superintendent here

"No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger Alicea. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing." Roger says the family is not planning to take any legal action, but they do want to meet with school staff.

Cody says he wants to serve in the military some day, and is raising money for a trip to Washington, D.C. in the Spring.

After being contacted by FOX40 Friday morning, Denair's Superintendent says Cody will be allowed to keep the flag on his bike. He told FOX40 he and the school are patriotic, but their main priority is keeping students safe; the school will focus on the students who are causing uprisings. Riding a bike is still not allowed on school campus, but when Cody rides his bike to school he can now fly the flag

specsaregood
11-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag
This confused me, then I realized this story takes place in California. It is mexicans they are afraid of upsetting....

Kregisen
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
This confused me, then I realized this story takes place in California. It is mexicans they are afraid of upsetting....

Ohhh okay. When I saw racial tensions I thought of black/white tensions, as that's the media's food, and had no clue why an american flag would cause any.

james1906
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Don't these knucklehead administrators know when they'll cause a ruckus?

Dr.3D
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Well, if they don't like the flag of this country, they should go back to the country they do like the flag of. I would be more pissed if somebody was riding a bicycle with a Mexican flag on it to school in the U.S.

How would those in Mexico like it if some kid rode to school every day with a U.S. flag on his bicycle?

Nate-ForLiberty
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
wait, i don't get it. Mexicans come to America for a better life, and the American flag would offend them?

....what'd i miss?

Dr.3D
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
wait, i don't get it. Mexicans come to America for a better life, and the American flag would offend them?

....what'd i miss?

Sounds more like they want to claim the U.S. as Mexican territory.

specsaregood
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Sounds more like they want to claim the U.S. as Mexican territory.

Exactly, hence the promotion of claims by la raza and others that california and much of the southwest is really mexico.

Michael Landon
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
This is ridiculous. This is America, we fly the American flag here, if you don't like it then leave. If you are offended by this country's flag then perhaps you should move to a country who has a flag you aren't offended by.

I'm pretty sure that it's over for this country. You are treated as a hero if you fly a rainbow flag but you treated as an outcast if you fly the US flag, that's utterly ridiculous. That last time I checked this is still the United States of America, right?

- ML

PreDeadMan
11-12-2010, 10:57 PM
I personally don't give a shit about flags..... these are symbols like george carlin said I leave symbols to the symbol minded... but you should be able to have a flag on a bike or a picture depicting a burning flag :)

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 01:12 PM
That last time I checked this is still the United States of America, right?

- ML

Debatable at this point...:(

fj45lvr
11-13-2010, 02:05 PM
flags are stupid.

angelatc
11-13-2010, 02:16 PM
The school said that they were only concerned about the boy's safety, and that he will be allowed to put the flag back on his bike.

So either they're lying, or they don't care about his safety any longer,

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 02:37 PM
The school said that they were only concerned about the boy's safety, and that he will be allowed to put the flag back on his bike.

So either they're lying, or they don't care about his safety any longer,

http://diannej.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/backpedaling34.jpg

Deborah K
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
This isn't about safety, this is just more political correctness run amok.