PDA

View Full Version : Cops open fire on van....that backfired

madengr
11-12-2010, 08:40 PM
http://kshb.m0bl.net/w/main/story/15812287/

Aaron Heintzelman
Nov 12, 2010 2:56 p.m.

Investigators say what police thought were gunshots intended for them was actually a van backfiring.

Officers were called to the area of Interstate 435 and Gregory Boulevard just before 6 p.m. Thursday on a report of shots being fired from a white van.

When they arrived, they saw a white van parked on the side of the road on Gregory Boulevard. As officers were getting out of their vehicle, they heard what they thought were gunshots.

Both officers fired their weapons at the van. Moments later, they realized the sound they heard was actually the van backfiring.

Nobody was injured in the incident, but police say the officers shot out the window of their patrol car.

The driver of the van was not armed. Police said they were continuing to investigate the incident.

Dripping Rain
11-12-2010, 08:45 PM
nice. I guess they will get a slap on the wrist, and told to be good facists next time by actually killing the van driver and planting a gun on the body

But in all seriousness Thank God no one was hurt

Anti Federalist
11-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Nobody was injured in the incident, but police say the officers shot out the window of their patrol car

Braack...I'm at a loss for words...

See, it's the training.

"A hostile has opened fire on us!!! Light him up!!!!"

Without even knowing what they were shooting through or shooting at!!!!!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/mc6b11.jpg

oyarde
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
http://kshb.m0bl.net/w/main/story/15812287/

rookies ?

KCIndy
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds almost like a PTSD reaction, except that combat vets would probably have the sense NOT to shoot out their own windows.

PreDeadMan
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Imagine if people were allowed to act like cops.... you're walking down the street you hear a noise you start shooting in the direction you think the noise is coming from.... and you kill some innocent people.... hm oh well they shouldn't have made noise!... they.. THEY WERE A THREAT TO MY LIFE!..... GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE AND A BIGGER GUN!!

pcosmar
11-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Imagine if people were allowed to act like cops.... you're walking down the street you hear a noise you start shooting in the direction you think the noise is coming from.... and you kill some innocent people.... hm oh well they shouldn't have made noise!... they.. THEY WERE A THREAT TO MY LIFE!..... GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE AND A BIGGER GUN!!

There are four rules that most intelligent gun owners follow.

The police as a rule do not.

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Rule 4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Is often completely ignored.
:(

awake
11-12-2010, 09:51 PM
We teach millions of people every day how to do CPR ( a responsible act of pulmonary resuscitation) It saves numerous lives every day because people were informed and trained on the proper use of the techniques. Why is it not the same for responsible gun use in self defense of oneself and others?...

Oh ya, the police are only interested in preserving their monopoly by disarming you to make you an easier victim from which you will beg them with the utmost enthusiasm.

AGRP
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I guess this proves why officers should be the only people to carry guns.

james1906
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
And to think "gun control advocates" support this.

youngbuck
11-12-2010, 10:15 PM

Exactly! What if it were you or me that fired at a vehicle for backfiring? Bunch of double standard bullshit...

AGRP
11-12-2010, 10:31 PM

I'm happy to see others think like me or vise verse.

I'm usually the first to point out that cops are not above the law ie "What would happen if a citizen did it..."

In this case, at least 12 squad cars would have stormed him and threatened his life before throwing him in jail until they tried him for attempted murder...if the cop was a citizen.

Will this happen to the cop? I don't think so.

Pericles
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Sounds almost like a PTSD reaction, except that combat vets would probably have the sense NOT to shoot out their own windows.

Vets recognize the different sound of rounds going away from you, than being in front of the muzzle with rounds approaching.

Anti Federalist
11-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Vets recognize the different sound of rounds going away from you, than being in front of the muzzle with rounds approaching.

That ^^^

Not a vet, but been shot at.

Completely different sound.

Carson
11-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Be a little more understanding if you can.

These guys don't uphold their oaths of office in regards to illegal immigration.

The government as a whole doesn't seem to be operating for the protection of the citizens it was organized too.

It seems to me the orders that control the actions on the house seem to originate outside of our country.

They need to protect themselves.

They have put us in a position where we can't do much to help.

tremendoustie
11-13-2010, 01:19 AM
And to think "gun control advocates" support this.

http://anarchyinyourhead.com/comics/2009-05-06-pro_elitism.png

Arion45
11-13-2010, 01:30 AM
This is what happens when one gives power and weapons to damaged soldiers returning from war. They were taught to shoot first without repercussions and ask questions later. In their world we are all the enemy. I can not wait for it all to collapse. It will be a good show.

evilfunnystuff
11-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Police said they were continuing to investigate the incident.

Investigate what?

I would not be surprised if they are gonna try to charge this guy with something

CCTelander
11-13-2010, 01:44 AM
That ^^^

Not a vet, but been shot at.

Completely different sound.

And a sound you're NEVER likely to forget, or mistake, as long as you live.

I sure the hell won't.

Promontorium
11-13-2010, 04:26 AM
This is what happens when one gives power and weapons to damaged soldiers returning from war. They were taught to shoot first without repercussions and ask questions later. In their world we are all the enemy. I can not wait for it all to collapse. It will be a good show.

Where does it say they are "damaged soldiers"?

youngbuck
11-13-2010, 07:17 AM

I think most soldiers would not have responded this way, including not shooting through their own windows (you'd only do that if you had no choice).

They were probably just idiots, having no business being knighted as armed enforcers, and maybe a few mental problems to boot. Unlikely as it is, I suppose it could be some PTSD-combo of sorts...

moostraks
11-13-2010, 08:12 AM
http://anarchyinyourhead.com/comics/2009-05-06-pro_elitism.png

:D Love it!!!

newbitech
11-13-2010, 09:02 AM
lol, how did that conversation go down inside the squad car?

"Hey Barney, pull over here. There is the white van that was taking pot shots at people."

"Ok Fife, I'll go ahead and position the car so we have a direct line of site on the suspect."

"Sure Barney, good idea. Hey why don't you go ahead an put the windows down a couple of inches while your at it so we can hear if something goes down."

"No problem Fife, we can just sit here with the windows slightly open, and watch and listen to this van that was reported as firing weapons."

"Say Barney, we have been sitting here a few minutes, think maybe we should get out?"

"Forget it Fife, we wouldn't want to put ourselves in danger in case something really is going on with that van."

"Yeah, your right Barney. This here windshield will protect us."

***Sputter Sputter, POP, Sputter, POP, POP, POP***

"Wholly shit Barney! What was that! Did you hear that?"

"Oh my god Fife! What was that! What do we do!"

"Barney quick! Unbuckle my safety harness and help me get my service revolver unholstered!"

"OK! Give me a second will ya Fife! I am trying to google that noise we heard!"

"Forget it Fife, its too late! It was a gun shot! I think they are shooting at us! The chief warned us about vehicles with yellow flags and snakes!"

"Damnit Barney! I spilled my coffee and this jelly donut is making it hard to unbuckle your safety harness!"

"Fife! You incompetent oaf! Here use this taco bell napkin, quick!"

"Got it! Hurry Barney, grab your service revolver! And point it at the van, like this!"

"Fife! I know how to point the service revolver!"

"Ok Barney, now what do we do?"

"Listen Fife, just wait until I give the signal. We have to try to keep our shields up as long as we can. Here is the plan. I am going to distract the white van by squeezing off a couple of shots into its back bumper."

"Wait a second Barney, won't that put a hole in our force field?"

"Fife, just listen, trust me. I have done this before. After I distract the white van by shooting its bumper, you will see that our force field will be down for a split second. You are only going to get one shot at this. Once the shield is down, you will need to target the white vans tail pipe to disable it. Ready? on the count of 3."

"Wait, wait, wait, Barney. The van has dual tail pipes. Which one do I shoot?"

"Fife, you MORON! Shoot the one that made the noise! We must silence this white van! Ready, 1... 2..."

"Wait!!! Barney! What if a PERSON is inside the white van?"

"Fife!! Damnit! We don't have time for this! The van has windows too! Don't you think that is going to protect them? Stop being such a pussy and shoot! THREE!!!"

***Bang, Bang, Bang, Pow, Pow, Pow***

"Yee, Hawwww!!! nice shooting Fife!"

"Oh yeah, Oh yeah, Oh yeah, that was great Barney! THink we got em?"

"Oh Yeah, uh baby UH! Yeah we got em alright! That will teach that white van not to make loud sounds around the police again! Nice work Fife! Now call this in and let dispatch know the loud white van has been neutralized! Oh and have them tell the garage to order us a new windshield."

madengr
11-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I love how the media repeatedly brings up how the victim "didn't have a gun". As it would have been OK to ventilate him if he did have one. Sounds like he was very close to becoming ventilated. Also looks like the cops originally claimed their windshield was shot out by an external bullet.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/12/2427505/backfires-from-broken-down-van.html

Phillip Ransom thought he had trouble Thursday night when his old van broke down on the side of the road, booming out backfires.

But that was when his troubles really began.

Two Kansas City police officers, mistaking the van’s backfires for gunshots, began firing at it.

It was a terrifying moment for the Kansas City man, who was unarmed and said he did not own a gun.

“I’m just an ordinary guy,” he said. “I go to work every day.”

Fortunately he was not hit. At least three bullets hit the van. Ransom said he did not know how many shots were fired.

“I wasn’t counting,” he said. “But it sounded like a lot.”

A department spokesman confirmed that Ransom was unarmed and said the officers have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

The incident occurred just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435. Ransom, who owns a janitorial service, said he was on his way home from work.

But his van didn’t make it, breaking down just a block from his home.

About the same time, someone called police and reported shots being fired.

Ransom learned later that a neighbor of his was the one who made the call after mistaking the sound of backfiring for gunfire.

The neighbor Friday was apologetic, but Ransom told him he would have done the same thing.

“We’re supposed to look out for each other,” he said. “It’s what we’re supposed to do.”

But Thursday night, Ransom, concerned that the vehicle might catch fire, stepped out of the van about the time the two officers arrived to investigate and began firing.

Ransom could only stand with his hands in the air and yell that he was not shooting.

“I guess they couldn’t hear me,” Ransom said Friday.

Besides the damage to Ransom’s van, windows of the patrol car were also shot out — apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.

Police and media reports initially described the incident as the police car being hit by a bullet fired from a suspect in the van.

On Friday afternoon, almost 24 hours after the encounter, Ransom said he was still shaken up. But being a small-business owner, Ransom could not call in sick and was headed out to a full night of work Friday.

“I only slept an hour or two last night,” he said. “I haven’t eaten since yesterday.”

The van, with its rear window shot out, remained in his driveway.

Ransom said a police attorney had called asking about damage, although the officers never apologized Thursday night.

More than anything, Ransom said he felt fortunate to be alive.

“It was definitely an ordeal,” he said.

To reach Tony Rizzo, call 816-234-4435 or send e-mail to trizzo@kcstar.com.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/12/2427505/backfires-from-broken-down-van.html#ixzz15AxFvOFF

james1906
11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
This just in... the police said that the van has had a history of mental health issues and had a high level of anti-depressants in its fuel line at the time of the shooting.

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
This just in... the police said that the van has had a history of mental health issues and had a high level of anti-depressants in its fuel line at the time of the shooting.

Farkin hilarious.

+rep

:D

Time for Change
11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
this is why Barney was allowed only one bullet and it was in his pocket. :p

puppetmaster
11-14-2010, 11:40 AM
lol....my fireplace was popping last night and some of the wood was popping pretty loud....glad there were no cops around or I would have been shot at or at least my fireplace would have been.....

payme_rick
11-14-2010, 01:49 PM
It's out of hand...

Around midnight last night I was at a party and went to the side of the building to relieve myself

I looked over at the 4-way stop-light intersection and a cop had pulled up to the light, stopped and turned off all of his lights... He was in the lane just sitting there with his lights off, which us normal folk can't do, only the cops can... This was a small town, and that is the only intersection there...

I called 911 and told 'em a car was parked at that intersection with it's lights off... 5 seconds later the cop turned on his lights and moved along... He got a whole 20 seconds out of that little sitting session...

Sneaky shit...