PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Food Safety Vote Next Week

tangent4ronpaul
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote of the Day: "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." -- Woody Page, Denver sports columnist

S. 510 will make your food more expensive and less safe. It will drive many small farms out of business. The leaders of the "lame duck" Congress want to pass this falsely named "food safety" bill NEXT WEEK, but . . .

They'll need 60 votes to break Sen. Coburn's "hold" on the bill.

That means we can defeat S.510 with just 40 votes, but we must apply the pressure now!

Please send a letter right now telling your Senators to oppose S. 510.

You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .

S.510 will crush family farms and small businesses with excessive regulations - even though they were NOT the source of recent food safety problems.

S.510 also violates the Fourth Amendment by allowing the FDA to invade and search farms and food producers without court permission.

If you think the FDA will use this new power responsibly, think again. David Gumpert reports that the FDA shut down two raw-milk cheese-makers for the presence of the pathogen listeria, even though . . . http://tinyurl.com/2e5x2sq

* Nobody got sick
* The FDA almost never shuts down companies for the mere presence of pathogens - even when people DO get sick
* Companies have previously been allowed to clean things up, rather than shut down.

If the FDA is starting to behave like this now, just imagine how abusive it will be under S.510?

Finally, it must be stressed that big agribusiness has been the source of most recent food safety problems. S.510 will make this problem worse by burdening small producers, and driving them out of business. This will make our food supply more centralized, less diverse, and more dangerous.

Please STOP S.510. This Congress must NOT pass any food safety bill. Remember, the voters have repudiated this Congress, and it's heavy handed ways.

END LETTER

You can send your letter through DownsizeDC's Educate the Powerful System.

Remember, Congress DOES read your letters. They DO have an impact. The more letters they receive, the more we're likely to succeed.

So please forward this, share on your social networks, and retweet this message: http://twitter.com/#!/DDCDispatch

And thank you for being a DC Downsizer!

James Wilson
Assistant Communications Director
DownsizeDC.org

D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h

FrankRep
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Contact Senate - Click here!
http://www.votervoice.net/Groups/JBS/Advocacy/?IssueID=22734&SiteID=-1

The Senate will likely vote on S. 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act, in September which would greatly increase FDA regulation over small farms, ranches, and other small food producers, and could lead to greater regulation of dietary supplements as the U.S. moves towards compliance with the global Codex Alimentarius.

Continue to Oppose Food Safety Legislation (http://www.jbs.org/component/content/article/1009-commentary/6455-continue-to-oppose-food-safety-legislation)

Ann Shibler | John Birch Society (http://www.jbs.org/)
25 August 2010

It happened just in time, the salmonella egg outbreak and recall, that is. Remarkably so, in fact, to help boost the chances of Senate Bill 510's passing. The Food Safety Modernization Act, whose companion bill H.R. 2749 already passed in the House, was facing quite the uphill battle. But not any more; a vote is now highly likely with approval possible if not probable.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has said there could be as many as 1,300 salmonella-related illnesses (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/No-evidence-that-tainted-eggs-apf-380640816.html?x=0) linked to the eggs. And that there could be 30 or more unreported cases for every reported case. So far there have actually been 1,953 illnesses reported from May 1 to July 31 of this year with the CDC admitting (http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/enteritidis/) “some of these cases may not be related to this outbreak.” CNN has an interesting state-by-state listing (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/24/eggs.recall.salmonella.state/) of reported, suspected, and confirmed cases. It seems then, that labeling 1,953 food-borne illnesses in a three month period in a nation of over 300 million an “outbreak” is a bit of an over-reaction

Nonetheless, the hue and cry from the food agency regulators of the Obama Administration is deafening. Most call for an expansion of federal authority in order to prevent any more food-related illnesses, something that is quite impossible, given our imperfect planetary conditions.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee chairman Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and the chairman of the panel’s investigations subcommittee Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), directed letters to the owner of one of the egg farms. According to Congressional Quarterly, a request was made for “inspection records, lists of customers who bought products within the last 12 months, communications with federal and state regulators, the companies’ procedures for monitoring eggs for food pathogens and any documentation of allegations of health, safety and animal cruelty violations,” begging the question “is it the proper role of the federal government or congressmen to demand such information?”

Senate Bill 510 has already passed committee and is on the Senate calendar. It calls for enhanced expansion of FDA authority over small farms, ranches, and other food producers, establishes burdensome administrative requirements for large and small operations, and arbitrary legal authority to recall “unsafe medications,” the definition of which is not clearly established; if in line with the global standard set by Codex Alimentarius, “unsafe medications” could extend to dietary supplements and herbal products. There is language that currently exempts from heavy regulation dietary supplement manufacturers and packagers. However, the FDA and its agents are notorious for interpreting and enforcing these regulations in their own way.

A Manager’s Amendment has been proposed that would make technical changes in the definition for “adulterated food,” and the creation of a small entity compliance policy guide that would exempt small businesses from some of the bill’s requirements — for now. Sen. Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) restriction on the use of bisphenol A (BPA) in plastic containers may also be offered as an amendment, while another is the foreign country prescription drug re-importation amendment.

The inclusion of BPA restrictive legislation and the prescription drug re-importation is not enough to offset the unconstitutional directives contained in the bill. Having the federal government assume entire control over this country’s food supply won’t solve anything and won’t prevent all food-borne illnesses, but it is a usurpation of the states’ right to set and oversee standards for food safety.

The citizens of this country who are already financially overburdened with the government's wild spending policies resulting in a ridiculous deficit and gargantuan national debt cannot afford this increase in monetary costs and bureacuracy, and loss of freedom, by the federal government expanding its reach further into the country's food supply and personal buying and eating choices.

If you believe food safety is best achieved at the local level, contact your senators and continue to express your opposition to such plans. (http://www.votervoice.net/Groups/JBS/Advocacy/?IssueID=22734&SiteID=-1) Have them do everything in their power to defeat S. 510.

SOURCE:
http://www.jbs.org/component/content/article/1009-commentary/6455-continue-to-oppose-food-safety-legislation

Noob
11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Leaked trade agreements and hidden dangers of S 510: Corporations plan to end normal farming

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/leaked-trade-agreements-and-hidden-things-inside-s-510-corporations-plan-to-end-normal-farming/

Noob
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Nutrient Reference Values (NRVs) Another Codex trick: set nutritional levels so low that everyone will be in chronic nutritional deficit - and think that it is normal. This connects directly to S. 510, the Food Fascism Bill, and S. 3218, the Wall Street Reform Bill that contains language which can kill dietary supplements through hostile regulation

ronpaulhawaii
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Bump

Anti Federalist
11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Bump

Bump is right.

Jesus Christ, it's like playing "whack a mole".

Think you got one knocked down, 5 more pop up.

:mad:

Email sent.

ronpaulhawaii
11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Bump is right.

Email sent.

ronpaulhawaii
11-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Vote may come up tomorrow

http://www.naturalnews.com/030418_Food_Safety_Modernization_Act_seeds.html

Matt Collins
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
$10 Million Spent in Support of S 510:
http://maplight.org/us-congress/bill/111-s-510/360488/total-contributions

oyarde
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Bump is right.

Email sent.

You are correct . The evil bastards do not let up .

Noob
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
sample letters

Sample letters the Senate

I am urging you to vote "NO" on S. 510, The Food Safety Modernization Act - a well-intentioned, but flawed, effort to improve our system for ensuring the safety of our food supply.

Naturally, I support efforts to ensure the safety of what we eat and drink; however S. 510 would ultimately make our food less safe, not more. In addition, the bill would do so at the expense of health food retailers, manufacturers, and consumers of natural foods.

These are my concerns:

1) What the bill says: If the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to an article of food (and any other article of food that the Secretary reasonably believes is likely to be affected in a similar manner) will cause serious health consequences, then the source would have to give HHS agents access to all of its records.

My concerns: Simply believing there's a potential hazard isn't enough - there should be proof before HHS intrudes upon the livelihood of our health food retailers and manufacturers. Taking it a step further: What constitutes "reasonable," and by whom is it determined? There needs to be evidence, and it needs to be clear and definitive.

2) What the bill says: It mandates use of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) as a means of identifying sources of contamination.

My concern: HACCP is a risk-based algorithmic approach to food safety that allows many shortcuts and involves a monumental amount of expensive paperwork and recordkeeping with NO improvements in on-site, physical inspections.

3) What the bill says: If the Secretary determines...that there is a reasonable probability that an article of food is adulterated or misbranded...the Secretary shall provide the responsible party an opportunity to cease distribution and recall such an article.

My concern: Similar to #1 above, what level of evidence will constitute "reasonable" probability? In addition, the words "adulterated" and "misbranded" have been applied by the FDA so liberally over the years that they've become watered down as descriptors of contamination.

4)This tyrannical law puts all food production (yes, even food produced in your own garden) under the authority of the Department of Homeland Security. Yep -- the very same people running the TSA and its naked body scanner / passenger groping programs.

5)This law would also give the U.S. government the power to arrest any backyard food producer as a felon (a "smuggler") for merely growing lettuce and selling it at a local farmer's market.

6)It also sells out U.S. sovereignty over our own food supply by ceding to the authority of both the World Trade Organization (WTO) and Codex Alimentarius.

7)It would criminalize seed saving turning backyard gardeners who save heirloom seeds into common criminals. This is obviously designed to give corporations like Monsanto a monopoly over seeds, and would create an unreasonable paperwork burden that would put small food producers out of business, resulting in more power over the food supply shifting to large multinational corporations.

And, the biggest problem of all with S. 510:
8) What the bill says: "Nothing in this Act shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the U.S. is a party."

My concern: No other countries ensure that all of their internal regulations are consistent with WTO or any other treaty or international agreement - so why should the United States sacrifice its sovereignty? I am additionally concerned about what might happen to the affordability of - and especially my access to - the products and services I choose to maintain my health and wellness if the United States is required to harmonize with the WTO, SPS, the Uruguay Rounds, and Codex.

The bottom line: If the above problems and deficiencies are not fixed or eliminated immediately from S. 510, then it must not pass. What constitutes reasonable belief and reasonable probability will be moving targets, moved up or down by the FDA at will. By further emphasizing the risky HAACP algorithmic approach to food safety consumers will be less safe since there will a greater reliance on mathematical and statistical hazards models and less reliance on physical, on-site inspections. Furthermore, the sovereignty of U.S. law and regulation will be further undermined and compromised by referencing international standards and bodies in internal U.S. statutes.

I strongly urge you to vote "No" on S. 510 unless my concerns stated above are addressed. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter, and I look forward to your reply.

VOTE NO ON S.510. This bill is NOT a 'noncontroversial' bill that the Senate can sneak through as a unanimous consent action during the Lame Duck session!

THIS BILL AND ITS COMPANIONS SHOULD BE DEBATED BY THE NEW CONGRESS!

OPPOSE S.3767 which would reintroduce the criminal penalties that were not included in HR.2749 or S.510. This bill would destroy our access to dietary supplements and local food supplies!

Your constituents and others all around the US, in our determination to protect the right of every American to clean, healthy, clearly labeled, unadulterated food, have brought strenuous objection to degrading our food supply and implementing the well-presented, but very dangerous Codex HARMonziation which the corrupt and dangerous FDA, USDA and other industry-led agencies are so eager to present to us as faits accompli.

Instead, we look to you to preserve our right to clean food, labeled to indicate pesticides, adulterants, GMOs and other dangerous ingredients and to make sure that S. 510, the mis-named "Food SAFETY Bill" is defeated through either inaction or a successful Nay vote and any similar bill is, likewise, defeated. This is a controversial matter that should not be pushed through the Senate by "unanimous consent."

Among the dangers facing our food and our freedom is the FDA's determination to destroy our access to high potency nutrients although guaranteed by the 1994 Dietary Supplements Health and Education Act (DSHEA). Amendments and bills to do so, along with the FDA's illegal Codex activities constantly threaten this freedom of choice. I look to you as my elected legislator to protect this right along with all other food and health freedom related ones.

I will be monitoring your activities on these issues closely. Thank you in advance for your work in the service of health and freedom. I take these issues very seriously and will vote on the basis of their support by my legislators and other elected officials.

The congressional majority leadership has issued its "short list" of bills it wants to push to passage before the August recess. S.510 is NOT on the list.

VOTE "NO!" Have your staff call the Senate Cloak Room staff and tell them this bill is, in deed, a controversial matter that should not proceed by unanimous consent.

I repeat: this is not a non-controversial matter that could pass the Senate as a "unanimous consent" item. Therefore, please place a "hold" on this bill so it does not "sneak" through the Senate.

STOP THE MONOPOLY BILL! STOP FORCED INDUSTRIALIZATION OF OUR LOCAL FOOD SUPPLIES! STOP THE BIG AGRI BIZ POWER GRAB!"

Noob
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
PMA Drops Backing of Food Safety Bill

Citing changes “not in keeping with our fundamental position of risk- and science-based food safety efforts,” the Produce Marketing Association has announced its opposition of the Food Safety Modernization Act awaiting action during the current lame-duck session of Congress.

“Unfortunately, we must now oppose S. 510,” Bryan Silbermann, president and CEO of the Newark, Del.-based trade group, said in a letter to members Thursday.

A late-hour amendment added to the bill by Sen. John Tester (D-Mont.) exempts processors or farmers who meet certain criteria unrelated to risk. For example, it would exempt a food facility or farm if it has sales of $500,000 or less, or sells half of its food to retailers, restaurants or consumers in the same state or within 275 miles.

“If this was enacted, federal regulation would apply based on where the food is sold and how much it earns – neither of which are risk factors,” Silbermann said. “Because it would require the Food and Drug Administration to regulate based on miles traveled or other factors irrelevant to safety, PMA must oppose the bill.”

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/top-story-pma_drops_backing_of_food_safety_bill-31606.html

BuddyRey
11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I'll be sure to call Hagan and Burr tomorrow. Not that it'll do much good. :(

Cleaner44
11-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I love using DownsizeDC.org

puppetmaster
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I will continue to farm.....screw them....