PDA

View Full Version : LEGISLATIVE ALERT: Nancy Pelosi Considering DREAM Act Vote in the House

bobbyw24
11-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Sources within the Democratic Party are saying that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wants a vote on the DREAM Act during the lame-duck session, and it could be as soon as next week. The DREAM Act would provide amnesty to illegal aliens who are attending college or serve in the military, but it includes no enforcement provisions and several loopholes that would open the amnesty to many more than it is intended.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/november-11-2010/pelosi-considering-dream-act-vote-house.html

Son of Detroit
11-12-2010, 05:52 AM
I think RPF is going to be divided on this...

bobbyw24
11-12-2010, 05:55 AM

You're probably right.

When it comes to immigration issues. Hardcore Libertarians act just like Liberals--they attack their opponents and not their opponents' arguments and label them "racists."

tangent4ronpaul
11-12-2010, 05:57 AM
I fully support this legislation - just so long as it is amended so that all voice mail hell systems be mandated to prompt for and provide service to callers in EVERY SINGLE language in the world presented in alphabetical order, by country name with a 30 second pause between language offers to assure proper confirmation..... :D

-t

oyarde
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM

The house will not be divided , probably could not get 150 votes .

Noob
11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Alert! Tell Congress: "NO lame-duck amnesty!"

I want you to know how upset I am that Congressional leaders are pushing this bill during this session. Millions of Americans are out of work, and the unemployment rate shows few sign of receding.

The election results along with numerous polls demonstrate that Americans oppose any amnesty for illegal aliens, including the DREAM Act amnesty proposal. Its supporters attempt to portray the legislation as helping a small number of students, but it would allow about 2 million people, including adults in their 30’s, to qualify for amnesty. Chain migration would then allow them to petition to bring in additional millions of family members.

Congress should focus on creating jobs for unemployed Americans, not an amnesty that increases the competition for limited resources. I trust you will heed the voters’ desires and reject this ill-conceived notion.

http://www.capsweb.org/wrapper.php?wrapper_id=1&menu_id=5&menu_item_id=19

sailingaway
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Reid was saying that too, I understand.

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-12-2010, 08:41 PM
You're probably right.

When it comes to immigration issues. Hardcore Libertarians act just like Liberals--they attack their opponents and not their opponents' arguments and label them "racists."

B.S.

This hardcore libertarian has asked every opponent to explain where the power has been delegated in the Constitution to regulate immigration. This hardcore libertarian has asked every opponent to cite where the United States of America border is defined in the federal political subdivision code.

Despite having no answers to these questions opponents continue with the intellectual dishonesty using illegal person phrases as if there is such a thing as illegal human beings.

sailingaway
11-12-2010, 08:45 PM
B.S.

This hardcore libertarian has asked every opponent to explain where the power has been delegated in the Constitution to regulate immigration. This hardcore libertarian has asked every opponent to cite where the United States of America border is defined in the federal political subdivision code.

Despite having no answers to these questions opponents continue with the intellectual dishonesty using illegal person phrases as if there is such a thing as illegal human beings.

Actually, it is in the Constitution. there was a date certain when the Federal govt got power, before then ONLY the states had it. But the issue is the welfare state, going broke, limited resources, and those legally here who, with their parents, paid for the system having better claim to such services, and insufficient funds to pay for education for all the world's poor. The schools are incredibly bad in border states in particular, and they tax people for the schools so by the time you have kids, you've already paid 'tuition' if you own a home. It is the open border / welfare state issue. If there were no welfare state and people kept their own money to educate etc it would be different, for many. That, plus chain migration specifically brings in the poorest, not the best qualified, with special preferences. I think when residency is granted it should be for the entire nuclear family, but should end there.

Maximus
11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't mind this at all.

Many of these people are kids who came here when they could hardly even walk. They grow up in America, go to our schools, and when they are older they realize they are illegal. These are people we should support becoming citizens. It's not their fault they were brought over.

Agorism
11-12-2010, 09:19 PM
What's wrong with having a large number of people who aren't citizens living here illegally?

If we got rid of national ID's then everyone would be like that.

Lord Xar
11-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't mind this at all.

Many of these people are kids who came here when they could hardly even walk. They grow up in America, go to our schools, and when they are older they realize they are illegal. These are people we should support becoming citizens. It's not their fault they were brought over.

Well, there is MUCH more to this legislation than offering legalization to graduates. To focus in on one benevolent aspect as if that is the crux of the legislation is dishonest.

They are entitled to loans on the taxpayers dime. For every illegal that gets a subsidy, that is potentially an american who can't. Is there an infinite amount of money available? I think not.

Also, you only need a GED! In addition, you have to be of "good moral character" <-- that is very subjective. And you only have to meet the requirements IN PART.

In addition, there is the cost & ramifications of chain migration from each Dream applicant.

This legislation is just an Amnesty bill. Nothing more...

Like I said previously, many moons ago, open borders and unyielding immigration is the bane of our sovereignty and exactly what the globalists want. In addition, liberals will be the beneficiaries of such actions.

Agorism
11-12-2010, 09:43 PM
What's wrong with a middle position. No amnesty and no enforcement.

Just lots of people doing their own thing off the radar.

oyarde
11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
What's wrong with a middle position. No amnesty and no enforcement.

Just lots of people doing their own thing off the radar.

Get rid of all social programs , I do not have to pay for any of it , I could get behind that .

akforme
11-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Part of me agrees but as for me I'm pretty pro open border but not until we end the welfare state. You can't have both.

jtstellar
11-13-2010, 05:03 AM
B.S.

do you understand that the problem is compounded, similar to how the banking sector should not get guaranteed deposit from the government, but once they do, glass-steagall act is required to minimize the scope of the mistake. the government is heavily into the wellfare spendthrift ways and regulating the economy through tax code and wage controls. the issue is not as simple as a sudden outburst of self righteous rhetoric anymore. the whole process needs to be unwound, starting with the wellfare state, step by step.

you don't start with a completely open border while leaving every policy else in place. that's just plain stupid.

Noob
11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
sample letter

Defeat the DREAM Act!

It has come to my attention that some Members of Congress, led by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, are plotting and scheming to ram the so-called DREAM Act - legislation that would grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens - through the current lame duck Congress. While granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens may be a "dream" for some of you, it is opposed by an overwhelming majority of Americans and must be stopped at all cost.

On November 2, the American people sent a very clear message. Simply put, we are sick and tired of our elected officials ignoring our will on issue after issue, including the continued push to grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens. Let me remind you that “public service” means that you serve the public. And when it comes to efforts to ram through the so-called DREAM Act and other amnesty bills, we demand that you cease and desist immediately.

The American people are watching. We will not be lulled to sleep. And, any effort to advance the DREAM Act or any and all other efforts to grant amnesty to illegal aliens in the lame duck Congress and beyond will simply not be tolerated!

Defeat the DREAM Act!

It is absolutely disgusting that Majority Leader Reid wants to force the DREAM Act amnesty through the lame duck session! How low and despicable can his actions get? I expect you to do the right thing for American workers and oppose this horrible mass amnesty.

Please do not pay attention to anyone who says the DREAM Act amnesty would only help innocent "children" who are the victims of their parents' lawbreaking -- the DREAM Act is not a narrow amnesty aimed only at children; it would amnesty any illegal alien under the age of 35!

The DREAM Act is not a small amnesty for a select group of individuals. In fact, it allows illegal "teens" (i.e., anyone under 35) to petition for their parents, leading eventually to their aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins, to come to the United States.

In 2007, the big argument for this amnesty is that it is for teenagers who are here illegally because their parents broke the law. Even with the less-than-35 age requirement, this amnesty will apply to more than just teens ("humanitarian" and "family unity" exceptions were added to the age limit). Nonetheless, the argument is that the teenagers should not be punished for the crimes of their parents.

However, as soon as DREAM amnesty citizens are over 21, they can bring in their parents, who broke the law to get them into the country in the first place, back into the U.S. (or to keep them here legally after years of avoiding deportation). The chief criminals will be rewarded after all. And due to chain migration, the amnestied "teens" can petition for their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents to get permanent U.S. residency as well.

This a back-door amnesty for the parents of these illegal "teens," and a chain migration nightmare for the country. I hope you will take the November 2nd election results to heart and observe the will of your constituents on this issue. Just say no to Sen. Reid and just say no to this anti-American worker amnesty.

I want you to know how upset I am that Congressional leaders are pushing this bill during this session. Millions of Americans are out of work, and the unemployment rate shows few sign of receding.

The election results along with numerous polls demonstrate that Americans oppose any amnesty for illegal aliens, including the DREAM Act amnesty proposal. Its supporters attempt to portray the legislation as helping a small number of students, but it would allow about 2 million people, including adults in their 30's, to qualify for amnesty. Chain migration would then allow them to petition to bring in additional millions of family members.

Congress should focus on creating jobs for unemployed Americans, not an amnesty that increases the competition for limited resources. I trust you will heed the voters' desires and reject this ill-conceived notion.

Oppose the DREAM Act amnesty!!

The American people are watching. We will not be lulled to sleep. And, any effort to advance the DREAM Act or any and all other efforts to grant amnesty to illegal aliens in the lame duck Congress and beyond will simply not be tolerated!

JustinTime
11-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Setting aside the usual argument, it irks me to see Congress bring this up again. My God, they've been voting on this every year at least since 2006, maybe longer than that. It gets voted down each year, give it a friggin rest already.

I get the feelings that certain powerful members of the government are saying "Vote on it until you get it right". Thats not how government ought to work.

Noob
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Sample letter

I expect you to observe the will of your constituents and oppose outgoing any attempts by anti-American worker Members of Congress to force the DREAM Act amnesty on the American people.

With people up to age 34 qualifying, the DREAM Act amnesty will apply to more than just teens, not to mention its fraud-prone "humanitarian" and "family unity" exceptions.

Once DREAM amnesty citizens are over 21 -- again, many of those who would qualify for amnesty are already that age or older! -- they can bring their immigration law-breaking parents back into the U.S. (or keep them here legally after years of avoiding deportation). The chief criminals will be rewarded after all. And due to chain migration, the amnestied "teens" can petition for their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents to get permanent U.S. residency as well.

Including:
1. The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children, And It Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans

2. The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application

3. Certain Criminal Aliens Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act

4. Estimates Suggest That At Least 2.1 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply

5. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

6. The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor's Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty

7. Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration

8. Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid

9. DHS Is Prohibited From Using the Information Provided By Illegal Aliens Whose DREAM Act Amnesty Applications Are Denied To Initiate Their Removal Proceedings or Investigate or Prosecute Fraud in the Application Process

Any attempt to force this amnesty on the American people during a lame duck session of Congress would be akin to placing a dagger in the back of every one of the 22 million Americans who cannot find a job as it would make it that much more difficult for these Americans to find a job.

With so many unemployed Americans, how can Congress even consider passing the Dream Act amnesty? This is not what your constituents want. This is no time to foist this legislation on an American people who simply do not want it. I am upset I that the Senate and House leadership is insisting on having this vote during the lame-duck session.

Americans realize that any proposal that allows illegal aliens to remain in the U.S. is a form of amnesty. There are limited educational resources available, and they should be used by students who are American citizens or legal residents.

I hope you will listen to the voices of frustrated Americans citizens. This bill is simply unfair, and I urge you to oppose it.