PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Violated the Rules

lapi7
06-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Ron Paul Violated the Rules
by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

Ron Paul violated one of the most consistently observed rules of American political life in the GOP debate on 05/15/07 in South Carolina and also in the debate on CNN several nights ago: government officials are never, ever to level with the American population. The people are to be endlessly flattered, spoken to in bumper-sticker slogans, and in general treated like seven-year-olds.

A man of principle and in possession of an IQ above 80, Paul naturally
refused to play along. He explained that foreign policy has
consequences, and that political and military interference around the
world has a tendency to stir up whole peoples against us. If we ignore
this simple and obvious fact, we do so at our peril. His implicit
conclusion was that the shenanigans of our government have made our
people more hated and more vulnerable than ever. In sum, if you want
to play empire, you cannot pretend that doing so will be costless.

To the propagandized automatons of 2007 America, this is called
"blaming America" for 9/11. I guess detectives should bear that in
mind the next time they seek the motive behind a murder. "You’re
looking for motive? Are you saying the dead man had it coming?" (Will
moral relativism never cease?)

The rest of the world, hearing Paul’s remarks, will doubtless be
relieved to know that there are still at least a few Americans in
public life who are able to process information at higher than a
sixth-grade level, and whose understanding of international affairs
isn’t cartoonish and delusional. But being a conservative today, of
course, means that on principle you don’t care what the rest of the
world thinks – what are you, some kind of commie? God bless America!

"Prefer The Truth Over The Popular"

AlexAmore
06-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Ron Paul needs to attack the other candidates with that line about how the other candidates endlessly flatter Americans, bumper sticker slogans....ect. It's sooo true.

mikelovesgod
06-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Thomas Woods is one of the good guys. So is Dr. Paul

jon_perez
06-09-2007, 04:39 AM
The reason Ron Paul does not try patronize the people who listen to him (example: in the New Hampshire Town Hall forum, he was asked by a young questioner - who was clearly for universal health care - about his views on the subject and Paul did not hesitate in explaining why he thought it was a disastrous idea) is because he has genuine ideas to carry across and does not consider winning the presidency an end in itself.

Now if only some of his more rabid supporters would realize that it is not exactly Ron Paul himself whom they should care about winning, but rather that his ideas and messages are disseminated as widely and accurately as possible (and people left to decide if they agree with them or not).

This, I am sure, would be more effective in winning people over to Paul's cause[s] rather than alienating people by spamming polls, accusing them of being brainwashed by mainstream media or selling out to corporate interests, claiming that Paul is [more or less] the Messiah, etc...

lapi7
06-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Agreed jon_perez.
While radical fanaticism in any arena is sure to act as a demobilizing factor, all ideologies still need a communicator to champion their cause. Of course it’s the concepts and ideas which truly covey the sum of the total, however, just as the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step so must this journey begin with all true patriots who’s platform is expanded and who’s voice is extended through Dr. Paul.
We must keep it polite, civil, and sane.

denvervoipguru
06-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Ron Paul wasn't in a debate on CNN the other night...far as I know.

kylejack
06-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Ron Paul wasn't in a debate on CNN the other night...far as I know.

Haha, what?

Jpass
06-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Yea he was. He was alllll the way to the right and usually got the far-right camera angle rather then any direct center footage.

But he was there :)

CJLauderdale4
06-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Ron Paul is very articulate and knowledgable when it comes to asepcts of the Constitution, liberty, representative government, blowback, etc.

Some of these concepts are being heard my mainstream America for the first time (as unbelievable as that sounds, I know).

So Ron needs to get the same message across, while appealing to those who don't understand. Speak to people simply, without making them feel stupid or uneducated. Walk them through the points, don't always start at the conlcusion, because the conclusion may be so shocking that it will be an instant turn off (this is what happened with the Guiliani battle - whether that was a bait and switch on Ron's part, who knows).

Another point, what was up with the seating at the CNN debate in NH???
Ron all the way on the right, and Tancredo all the way on the left??!?!?!?
They did everything but use subliminal messages to tell us that RP and TT are coming from left and right field (hint, hint)....

billv
06-09-2007, 10:53 AM
being a conservative today, of
course, means that on principle you don’t care what the rest of the
world thinks – what are you, some kind of commie? God bless America!

I think I remember learning a long time ago that once upon a time in this country, a man's reputation and his word was ultra important. Not anymore unfortunately.