PDA

View Full Version : Hot Air supports TSA procedures

Agorism
11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/11/the-obligatory-tsa-screeners-grabbing-passengers-asses-now-post

People keep e-mailing or tweeting to ask why we haven’t written about this, but I don’t know what there is to say that isn’t completely obvious. (I know, I know: “That’s never stopped you before.”) No one wants their kid getting a genital patdown from a federal security guard, but then, no one wants their kid plunging 35,000 feet to the ground either after some jihadi degenerate cooks up a PETN bomb mid-air and sets it off. Remember Flight 253? Abdulmutallab had the bomb components sewn into his undies, which presents a challenge to finding the goods before the would-be bomber boards the plane. You can either run them through a full-body scanner, subject them to an “enhanced patdown,” a.k.a. crotch inspection, or … what? I’m open to alternatives, but you and I both know that for all the complaining going on right now, all it’ll take is one 757 exploding and suddenly airline passengers will have strange new respect for showing TSA screeners their junk.

Unions representing U.S. Airways pilots, American Airlines pilots, and some flight attendants are advising their members to skip the full-body scans, even if it means that their genitals are touched. Air travelers are speaking out online, with a woman saying in a YouTube video her breasts were “twisted,” and ExpressJet pilot Michael Roberts emerging as an instant hero after he rejected both the body scanning and “enhanced pat-downs” options and was unceremoniously ejected from the security line from Memphis International Airport…

TSA’s official blogger, who uses the apparent pseudonym Blogger Bob, went so far as to say this week that: “There is no fondling, squeezing, groping, or any sort of sexual assault taking place at airports. You have a professional workforce carrying out procedures they were trained to perform to keep aviation security safe.”…

TSA has “always done pat-downs,” but until recently they haven’t been so aggressive, says Chris Calabrese, legislative counsel at the ACLU in Washington, D.C. “The pat-downs never used to go up a woman’s skirt.”

“It’s become troubling,” Calabrese says. “You’ve got these controversial naked strip search machines that they’re rolling out at airports across America. And if you choose not to go through the naked strip search machine, you’re subject to this (level of intrusive physical contact). It seems punitive. It seems designed to drive you to the naked strip search machine.

One passenger whose young son had his groin patted down with the back of a TSA screener’s hand told Reuters, “We spend my child’s whole life telling him that only mom, dad and a doctor can touch you in your private area, and now we have to add TSA agent and that’s just wrong. At some point the terrorists have won.” Fair enough, although of course the big “win” terrorists are looking for is plummeting fuselage, not awkward moments in line in front of the metal detector. Meanwhile, Scott Ott argues that the most effective countermeasures against terrorists are the passengers and crew onboard the planes, not TSA’s dopey security theater. There’s some truth in that — the heroes of Flight 93 saved the Capitol and it was passengers who subdued both Richard Reid and Abdulmutallab — but I don’t see how it advances the ball on the privacy/security conundrum. Metal detectors are a very slight invasion of privacy but surely we wouldn’t do away with them on the assumption that passengers will handle a terrorist with a gun once the plane’s in the air.

The best argument in all this, I think, is the boss emeritus’s point that the feds are trying to atone for inexcusable gaps at the macro level of security by tightening procedures at the micro level. That was another, even more important lesson of Flight 253: There were plenty of red flags about Abdulmutallab’s intentions before he got on the plane, and yet bureaucratic inefficiency among counterterror agencies prevented anyone from doing anything until it was too late. Do something about that and you can afford to worry less about crotch-patting at the terminal.

YouTube - Nude Protest Airport Body Scanners in Germany P1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqBcNHX_To)

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I wonder how far they will go with this. I think it would be hilarious if a terrorist (Or Al CIADA) stuck some semtex up his ass. Would this poster then be in favor of the TSA anal probing everyone? Let the airlines handle their own security, and goddamnit let pilots be armed. FAA, TSA, and the lot of the .Gov make us less secure, and we lose liberty.

I really dislike Hot Air and the fascist air-heads that peruse there.

Anti Federalist
11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
So when the "terrurists" shove the PETN containers in a body cavity, you're going to "be OK" with full body cavity searches as well?

How about a TSA goon with their fingers in your 10 year daughter's vagina?

You "OK" with that?

Guess what?

You don't have the right to make me be "OK" with that.

I'd just as soon be blown up than live in a world that is "OK" with that.

Not to mention the fact that Abdulmutallab was taken past security by a government agent and that the whole thing was a huge "inside job" fail.

What a bunch of fucking pussies, walking around pissing themselves in fear over some Jihadis, that they'll stop at nothing, no assault on freedom or their persons is "over the line", just please, gooferment, keep me safe. (From the "terruhists" you created.)

FOAD...Hot Air is right...

Agorism
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Someone likes to vote zero stars on all my threads right away

ghengis86
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I wonder how far they will go with this. I think it would be hilarious if a terrorist (Or Al CIADA) stuck some semtex up his ass. Would this poster then be in favor of the TSA anal probing everyone? Let the airlines handle their own security, and goddamnit let pilots be armed. FAA, TSA, and the lot of the .Gov make us less secure, and we lose liberty.

I really dislike Hot Air and the fascist air-heads that peruse there.

where have you been?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/eveningnews/main5347847.shtml

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/Qaida-man-hid-bomb-in-rectum/articleshow/5074016.cms

ghengis86
11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
So when the "terrurists" shove the PETN containers in a body cavity, you're going to "be OK" with full body cavity searches as well?

You "OK" with that?

Guess what?

Not to mention the fact that Abdulmutallab was taken past security by a government agent and that the whole thing was a huge "inside job" fail.

What a bunch of fucking pussies, walking around pissing themselves in fear over some Jihadis, that they'll stop at nothing, no assault on freedom or their persons is "over the line", just please, gooferment, keep me safe. (From the "terruhists" you created.)

You too AF; I thought you already knew about this?

Anti Federalist
11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
You too AF; I thought you already knew about this?

I do recall that, thanks.

It'll take it happening on US plane to bring it to a head.

squarepusher
11-12-2010, 02:14 AM
I wonder how far they will go with this. I think it would be hilarious if a terrorist (Or Al CIADA) stuck some semtex up his ass. Would this poster then be in favor of the TSA anal probing everyone?

I think this is really what its coming down to

Agorism
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/201011111141.jpg

TheHumblePhysicist
11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
How many people have these bastards actually CAUGHT?

Anti Federalist
11-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Umm, zero.

Hallamaat
11-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Surprisingly, it looks like the majority of HA's denizens aren't agreeing with Allahpundit on this one. Seems like a lot of them want to try Israel's method of profiling those evil muslims in lieu of the scanners and patdowns, but I'm just surprised that since the TSA happened under their beloved GW Bush that anyone there is speaking out about this. I even saw a few people calling for the defunding/abolishing of the TSA. Shit, someone even linked to a reason.com article. :eek:

This comment made me chuckle:

No one wants their kid getting a genital patdown from a federal security guard, but then, no one wants their kid plunging 35,000 feet to the ground either after some jihadi degenerate cooks up a PETN bomb mid-air and sets it off.

This quote is a really good example of…

Why this site has become so utterly worthless.

Sure, it’s still good for a laugh now and again – but sadly a mere shadow of it’s former self.

Does anyone really need some weird anonymous guy telling you that you should give up your freedom for some level of security on a conservative site? Jeez, I think Diane Sawyer already has that covered for me.

Thanks anyway.

georgiaboy
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
i had to throw my swiss army keychain knife away at the checkpoint, big WIN for TSA!

Agorism
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
More ppl here need hotair accounts so when one of these threads comes up, we can ambush it.

Esor
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
More ppl here need hotair accounts so when one of these threads comes up, we can ambush it.

When I tried to register on Hot Air, I couldn't figure out how... and then I found this:

Hot Air allows you to post comments on the site, provided that you first register to do so with a valid e-mail address. Comments registration is now closed. That means you cannot comment unless you have already registered.

Agorism
11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
When I tried to register on Hot Air, I couldn't figure out how... and then I found this:

Ya you can only register during open days. Then they monitor you for a few days befoe you're member.

As long as you don't insult people, spam or whatever, they are fairly tolerant.

Esor
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Ya you can only register during open days. Then they monitor you for a few days befoe you're member.

As long as you don't insult people, spam or whatever, they are fairly tolerant.

When are open days?

Agorism
11-12-2010, 09:12 PM
When are open days?

Hmmm like once every 3 months. I'll post next time they have a registration.

It's quite amusing because tons of people flood in all on one day, and then the old posters complain for a few weeks, and then the cycle repeats 3 months later.

aravoth
11-12-2010, 09:56 PM

http://www.art-and-home.net/media/10/a20791a124bce37eba6828_m.jpg

pcosmar
11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
HotAir is as usual,,, um,
Hot Air

:(

ghengis86
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
HotAir is as usual,,, um,
Hot Air

:(

Obvious statement is obvious

Esor
11-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Hmmm like once every 3 months. I'll post next time they have a registration.

Please do. Send me a PM if you remember (not expecting you to).

Promontorium
11-13-2010, 04:04 AM
although of course the big “win” terrorists are looking for is plummeting fuselage, not awkward moments in line in front of the metal detector.

If all terrorists wanted was to bring down planes. Then they wouldn't be terrorists.

My heart is broken. This is just like hearing about more shit your cheating whore ex-lover is doing with your friends. It still hurts, but hell if there was anything left to ruin between you.

Hallamaat
11-13-2010, 04:17 AM

I have an account there. I usually get a headache reading their comments though, so I've only posted twice so far.

Agorism
11-13-2010, 04:02 PM
http://bluegrassbulletin.typepad.com/.a/6a00e008d2bcf48834013488eac838970c-pi

osan
11-13-2010, 06:17 PM

You "OK" with that?

Guess what?

Oh D00d, you are too cool.