PDA

View Full Version : New law: Defendants can't withhold encryption passwords. Must testify against themsel

Agorism
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Scott Horton Interviews Mike Gogulski (http://antiwar.com/radio/2010/11/11/mike-gogulski-5)

They talk about the chances the new Congress will draft legislation similar to the UK’s law against withholding encryption passwords from law enforcement.

pcosmar
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Scott Horton Interviews Mike Gogulski (http://antiwar.com/radio/2010/11/11/mike-gogulski-5)

They talk about the chances the new Congress will draft legislation similar to the UK’s law against withholding encryption passwords from law enforcement.

Encryption key?

Damn, I forgot. I may have it written down someplace. I'll get back to you if I remember.
;)

torchbearer
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
i can't remember my password.
30 days in jail won't fix that.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Encryption key?

Damn, I forgot. I may have it written down someplace. I'll get back to you if I remember.
;)

No doubt .

oyarde
11-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Encryption key?

;)

Best part is I could say that all the time and half the time it would be true.

LibForestPaul
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Not encrypted, just noisy random garbage, whats the problem.

Agorism
11-11-2010, 07:50 PM
RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT (Lawyer please)

Noob
11-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Must testify against them-self? What about the Fifth Amendment?

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2010, 08:15 PM
If you fail to reveal your password, they will torture it out of you. :eek:

jmdrake
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Must testify against them-self? What about the Fifth Amendment?

Note that the article linked in the OP is referencing England so the fifth amendment doesn't apply. I don't know if there is a Magna Charta equivalent.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 08:18 PM
If you fail to reveal your password, they will torture it out of you. :eek:

Does not bode well for a guy like me who forgets. I would never surrender anyway :)

Fox McCloud
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
this is precisely why you *don't* memorize your encryption key, but instead write it down and look it up every time you use it...hopefully you can burn the note that it's on, in time (or eat it or something) before they take you in.

"I'm sorry, I honestly don't remember what it is...I wrote it down somewhere, but I can't get to it anymore."

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Encryption? What's that and how did it get on my computer?

Rael
11-11-2010, 10:23 PM
i can't remember my password.
30 days in jail won't fix that.

Exactly. Contempt of court is the worst case scenario.

cindy25
11-11-2010, 10:26 PM
isn't this just more of forced fingerprinting, DNA samples, handwriting samples?

MRK
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
this is precisely why you *don't* memorize your encryption key, but instead write it down and look it up every time you use it...hopefully you can burn the note that it's on, in time (or eat it or something) before they take you in.

"I'm sorry, I honestly don't remember what it is...I wrote it down somewhere, but I can't get to it anymore."

So you're saying you should avoid going the route where they could not prove your knowledge, and instead go the route where you could be found in the process of destroying evidence?

freedoms-light
11-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Only the higher gov. officials have the right to selective memory lapses...