PDA

View Full Version : Cantor: Tea Party can get in the back seat?

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
On Fox News Sunday, Eric Cantor was pretty evasive about how much he wants to work with the new "Tea Party" members of Congress. Kind of like Marco Rubio. Thanks for the votes, the support, the donations and the majority, now get in the back seat and shut up. He finishes with a statement about fiscal discipline, so we will see if that turns out to be the first and only priority.

On second thought, "fiscal discipline" is pretty vague and generic. It doesn't speak to the size or scope of government.

WALLACE: OK. I've got a minute left and I want to get into one last area. There could be as many as 90 members of the tea party in the new House. And that would be more than a third of all Republicans.

Now, Michele Bachmann, the congresswoman from Minnesota, is running for the number four position in the leadership. But you and a lot of your colleagues in the leadership are backing a member of the Republican establishment, Jeb Hensarling, instead for that.

Instead of listening to the new members and saying, Let's come in, let's listen to you, isn't this a case of the old boys' network saying to the tea party, Wait your turn?

CANTOR: First of all, Chris, we are fortunate in the Republican conference to have two good conservatives running for this position. Both Jeb and Michele have a reputation as being some of the most commonsense, committed conservative -- constitutional conservatives in our -- in our conference.

And you know, I endorse Jeff -- I mean Jeb, because I feel that we've had a history of working together, and...

WALLACE: Yeah, but that's the old boys' network.

CANTOR: You know, we've had a history of working together and Jeb is someone who can produce results. But listen...

WALLACE: Doesn't the tea party deserve something for the role they played in this election?

CANTOR: Listen, you know, the fact is, again, you've got two conservatives in this race. You have an incoming class that is probably more diverse and more reflective of a growing conservative majority in this country than I've seen since I've been here in Washington.

And these individuals will be allowed to vote for which conservative that they -- that they choose. I mean, again, these are two conservatives. Neither individual could ever be accused of being anything but a conservative.

WALLACE: But real quickly, you're not willing to guarantee that there will be, if not in that position, a member of the tea party in the leadership?

CANTOR: Well, I think if you look at the tea party, the tea party are -- you know, it's an organic movement that played a tremendously positive role in this election. I mean, certainly, it produced an outcome beneficial to our party when you're picking up at least 60-some seats.

That is something that I think that the tea party has done which is fiscal discipline, and we're going to be focused on that.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday/transcript/key-republican-lawmakers-gop-agenda-new-congress?page=2

Bern
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Dear Mr. Cantor,

We are not asleep. We are paying attention.

Cordially,
America

specsaregood
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ixDpqVtXbfQ/2.jpg

FSP-Rebel
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
That's right, Cantor. We're monitoring you.

malkusm
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Cantor sucks

Cowlesy
11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Cantor sucks

Cantor is 100% Status-Quo DC.

JohnEngland
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Someone should challenge him in the primary, in his next re-election campaign.

We know incumbents can be taken out with ease when the effort is there from the grassroots - just look at that Utah senator.

Cowlesy
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM

We know incumbents can be taken out with ease when the effort is there from the grassroots - just look at that Utah senator.

He's got a huge campaign warchest from the Wallstreet community. He's not going anywhere.

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Cantor is 100% Status-Quo DC.

I can't help but get the feeling that Cantor's version of fiscal discipline means accounting tricks and both hidden and not hidden taxes. A big government Republican.

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
He's got a huge campaign warchest from the Wallstreet community. He's not going anywhere.

Ah, the same people who backed Obama. He will want to continue with massive debt and stimulus programs that will get skimmed off the top at the highest levels on Wall St...

EvilEngineer
11-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Ehh... just means he needs to be removed by other means. Political Scandal, infidelity, public embarrassing, criminal charges... etc.

Just need a good dirt digger to go after him.

anaconda
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM

It is very interesting to see how these people choose sides. Some have already sealed their fates. I have to laugh when I hear this "tough talk" from the old corrupt GOP elite Tent Lott types. Listen up, Rand Paul is shaping the debate. The power these dopes cannot overcome is that Rand Paul is shaping the debate for The People.It doesn't matter if they have some kind of non Tea Party caucus majority if Rand can lead another huge voter rebellion in 2012.

phesoge
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Cantor is insane, and his devotion to Israel is frightening.

Brian4Liberty
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Cantor is insane, and his devotion to Israel is frightening.

I don't know a lot about him. So does he want a war with Iran?

cswake
11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
YouTube - Eric Cantor's Voting Record Exposed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPs1eMsK4Hw)

txaslftist
11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. How much effort do you think it will take for the Tea Party to find and fund an opponent in your primary in 2012, Mr. Cantor?

txaslftist
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Doesn't matter. This is of primary importance, IMO. The Tea Party needs to find primary challengers for both Boehner and Cantor, and focus spending on these candidates.

If either of them loses a seat or loses a primary to a Tea Party backed person, the rest of the old guard will recognize that they need to get in line, a new line, fast.

Don't worry about his war chest. If it's enough for him to win the primary battle, the fact that he has to spend it alone will make him rethink his casual dismissal of the Tea Party.