PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Daniels - Could He Earn Your Vote?

Jordan
11-11-2010, 01:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Mitch_Daniels.jpg/225px-Mitch_Daniels.jpg

On his first day in office, Daniels created Indiana's first Office of Management and Budget to look for inefficiencies and cost savings throughout State government. In 2005, he led Indiana to its first balanced budget in eight years and turned the $600 million deficit he inherited into a $300 million surplus in a single year. He used this surplus to repay hundreds of millions of dollars the State had borrowed from Indiana's public schools in previous administrations.[7] Also on his first day in office, he decertified all government employee unions, removing the requirement that State employees be union members; and, within eight months, 92% of government union members quit their union.[22]

In his first State of the State address on January 18, 2005, Daniels put forward his agenda to improve the State's fiscal situation by calling for strict controls on all spending increases and proposed a one-year 1% tax increase on all individuals and entities earning over $100,000. The move was controversial and the Republican Speaker of the House, Brian Bosma, criticized Daniels and refused to allow the proposal to be debated.[20]

Two of Daniels' tax proposals were approved: a tax on liquor and beverages to fund the construction of the Lucas Oil Stadium and a tax on rental cars to expand the Indiana Convention Center. The new source of funding resulted in a state take-over of a project initially started by the City of Indianapolis and led to a bitter feud between Daniels and Bosma. The State ultimately won and retained ownership of the facilities.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Daniels

They're saying the current governor of Indiana may run for President on the GOP ticket. I'm just curious whether or not RPF members could support his candidacy. Oh, by the way, I think he might be the first governor to ever privatize a road. :P

Sola_Fide
11-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Mitch has given lip service to libertarianism.

TheeJoeGlass
11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Mitch_Daniels.jpg/225px-Mitch_Daniels.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Daniels

They're saying the current governor of Indiana may run for President on the GOP ticket. I'm just curious whether or not RPF members could support his candidacy. Oh, by the way, I think he might be the first governor to ever privatize a road. :P

IPL scandal. Proposed a "truce" on social issues like abortion. He's a lap dog from a small state.

erowe1
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I answered no.

But really, the way the question is worded, I'd say yes.

I wouldn't vote for Mitch Daniels as I know him to be. But that doesn't mean there's nothing he could say or do to earn my vote. I suppose there are hypothetical possibilities out there where he could. They won't ever happen, but hypothetically, sure.

erowe1
11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Mitch has given lip service to libertarianism.

Lots of lip service, but that's about all.

Check out his 5 books here:
http://fivebooks.com/interviews/mitch-daniels-on-how-libertarians-can-govern

I'm pretty sure he's not faking it. He really has studied free market economics and libertarian-ish thought pretty seriously.

Unfortunately, his approach to governing has consistently been the exact opposite. He's all about having a government that does more, not less, and taking consolation in the fact that he can make it do it more efficiently.

If he did run, I think he could cut into Romney's support pretty deeply.

Sola_Fide
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Lots of lip service, but that's about all.

Check out his 5 books here:
http://fivebooks.com/interviews/mitch-daniels-on-how-libertarians-can-govern

I'm pretty sure he's not faking it. He really has studied free market economics and libertarian-ish thought pretty seriously.

Unfortunately, his approach to governing has consistently been the exact opposite. He's all about having a government that does more, not less, and taking consolation in the fact that he can make it do it more efficiently.

If he did run, I think he could cut into Romney's support pretty deeply.

Yes.

sailingaway
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Not against Ron. If Ron doesn't run, maybe. I don't know enough about him.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Hard to picture Mitch winning a Primary . Nowhere as good as Ron. He has pros and cons . A little dirty laundry from the private sector . Of course at least he could say he has been in the private sector . Other that Romney , not sure any potential candidates could say that . He has a better track record than Romney , does undertand , budgets , spending & economics etc. I will always hold daylight saving time against him though .

Imperial
11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
If Gary Johnson or Ron Paul were not in the running, I could definitely pull the lever for him.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
If Gary Johnson or Ron Paul were not in the running, I could definitely pull the lever for him.

Yes , I mean if he ends up on a ballot against Obama or primary ballot of suspected contenders , then yes , I would too .

Brett85
11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
No way. Did anybody read the article and see all the tax increases that this guy proposed as Governor?

oyarde
11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
And it would be the first time I ever voted for him . I voted Libertarian for Gov .

low preference guy
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
where is the "lol" answer?

oyarde
11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
No way. Did anybody read the article and see all the tax increases that this guy proposed as Governor?

The Caito had him ranked second among all Gov.'s for taxes , but 16th overall for failure to cut education spending . Education spending flat . I remember specifically the cigarette tax increase . Property tax was frozen and capped . Mixed bag .

wormyguy
11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Almost anybody could earn my vote, although most would have to get serious religion. If no liberty candidate runs in 2012, I suppose he'd earn my vote in the GOP primary, but probably not in the general.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Almost anybody could earn my vote, although most would have to get serious religion. If no liberty candidate runs in 2012, I suppose he'd earn my vote in the GOP primary, but probably not in the general.

What in the General ?

wormyguy
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Uh, my vote. In the general election, as opposed to the party primary.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Uh, my vote. In the general election, as opposed to the party primary.

I meant who in the general ?

wormyguy
11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Probably the LP, unless they nominate Wayne Allyn Root, in which case I'll see if any of the other minor parties are running someone tolerable, or write in something (myself, Ron Paul, Murkowski Mouse etc.)

oyarde
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Probably the LP, unless they nominate Wayne Allyn Root, in which case I'll see if any of the other minor parties are running someone tolerable, or write in something (myself, Ron Paul, Murkowski Mouse etc.)

That is what I thought .

RandallFan
07-16-2016, 01:16 AM
That pic shows me why Mike Pence is VP.