PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul : Time to debate these wars!

jmdrake
11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
If anybody had any remaining doubts about Rand Paul, this should put them to rest.

http://www.therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=5839

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZeBDrQ9q-sc&autoplay=1&fs=1&rel=0&showsearch=0

sailingaway
11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Did you see McClatchy yesterday say the White House was signaling it is changing the begining of the Afghan draw down date to 2014 from 2011?

Seems to me that's a good place to start the budget cuts......

jmdrake
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Did you see McClatchy yesterday say the White House was signaling it is changing the begin of the Afghan draw down date to 2014 from 2011?

I saw that in the other thread where you mentioned it and I looked it up. I know that's a disappointment to democrats who truly thought Obama would be an "antiwar" president. The GOP victory gives Obama cover to do this. Last week GOP misLeaders were claiming they were going to "push back" against Obama's withdrawal date. Technically they don't have the right to do that. Congress has only has the power to prevent troops from being deployed. But the president as commander in chief has always had the power to withdraw troops.

However I think that is all a show. Obama campaigned on expanding the war in Afghanistan. He was just quiet about that, but he clearly said it. The only surprise to me is that Obama acted like he was going to do a draw down in the first place.

Anyway, we have a short window of opportunity. We need to hit the talk radio airwaves now and get the message out that the GOP mandate was not for more war. We should start with conservative radio talk shows that have already expressed doubts about the war in Afghanistan. (Ann Coulter and Michael Savage). Once getting our "sea legs" on those shows, we need to venture out to more hostile territory on this subject. (Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck). We need to give Rand "cover" to do right just like the fake republicans are giving Obama cover to do wrong.

Edit: I initially said "Laura Ingaram" when I meant "Ann Coulter"

sailingaway
11-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I saw that in the other thread where you mentioned it and I looked it up. I know that's a disappointment to democrats who truly thought Obama would be an "antiwar" president. The GOP victory gives Obama cover to do this. Last week GOP misLeaders were claiming they were going to "push back" against Obama's withdrawal date. Technically they don't have the right to do that. Congress has only has the power to prevent troops from being deployed. But the president as commander in chief has always had the power to withdraw troops.

However I think that is all a show. Obama campaigned on expanding the war in Afghanistan. He was just quiet about that, but he clearly said it. The only surprise to me is that Obama acted like he was going to do a draw down in the first place.

Anyway, we have a short window of opportunity. We need to hit the talk radio airwaves now and get the message out that the GOP mandate was not for more war. We should start with conservative radio talk shows that have already expressed doubts about the war in Afghanistan. (Laura Ingraham and Michael Savage). Once getting our "sea legs" on those shows, we need to venture out to more hostile territory on this subject. (Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck). We need to give Rand "cover" to do right just like the fake republicans are giving Obama cover to do wrong.

Rand says he is going to propose a balanced budget in a few months. One that balances it in one year, one that takes two, etc up to five. People have no idea what a balanced budget looks like, and when they truly understand what we have to cut if we keep up this foreign policy, I expect many who never really thought about it will swing to a 'defense' not 'offense' foreign policy.

Meanwhile, China has already downgraded our debt from AA to A+. I think more people are also realizing the enormity of the debt crises.

S.Shorland
11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I actually like the 1,2..5 years options.It will give voters a criteria to gauge the integrity and conviction of their representatives.In all seriousness,though.America should choose the one year option.Look at the PIIGS now.There really isn't much time imo. (It could all be too late according to Mises with the poison already having been taken (forcibly administered) and the crack up boom coming but as you say,it would get the Americans thinking like independent adults again).

vita3
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Go Rand!

I'm still amazed that there was so little debate about the wars, during the election cycle.

obijuan
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Go Rand!

I'm still amazed that there was so little debate about the wars, during the election cycle.

10% unemployment will do that. I think that fiscal sanity is the way to sell ending the wars right now...

sailingaway
11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
McClatchy has updated its article, keeping in the senior white house spokesmen saying what they said, but adding a White House rebuttal that nothing has changed. We'll see.

10% unemployment will do that. I think that fiscal sanity is the way to sell ending the wars right now...

I agree. When people realize it is that OR deeper cuts elsewhere to programs they care about, they will view defense spending with a more critical eye.

georgiaboy
11-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Rand says he is going to propose a balanced budget in a few months. One that balances it in one year, one that takes two, etc up to five.

excellent - can't happen soon enough.