PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell Suggested Using Troops As Political Pawns

TheDriver
11-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Former President George W. Bush has released a new book – Decision Points – that is grabbing headlines across the nation, and appears to have thrown a few Republicans under the bus.

Insert Mitch McConnell – the career politician and 5-term senator from Kentucky. George W. Bush claims Mitch made a private face-to-face plea and begged Bush to bring some troops home from Iraq (before the surge) in-order to make the 2006 midterms (and McConnell’s 2008 re-election) go smoother for Republicans, as McConnell sensed an anti-Iraq war backlash in the upcoming elections. Bush makes it crystal clear that McConnell was only concerned about upcoming elections, not national security or success in Iraq, when he made his plea.

“Wow, it stuns me,” said Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics. “It’s Darwinian — it’s all about survival. …That is not helpful to McConnell.”

“If the story is true, Sen. McConnell will have to explain to the families of all the men and women who sacrificed in Iraq why he was willing to play politics with their lives,” said Congressman John Yarmuth, who was elected in 2006.

Read the rest: http://capitalistbanner.com/2010/11/11/george-w-bush-mitch-mcconnell-suggested-using-troops-as-political-pawns/

MRoCkEd
11-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Sickening

dean.engelhardt
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
In other shocking news of the day: The earth is round.

Aratus
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
the book has been a string of happy paragraphs trying to be bon mots.
for mitch mcconnell to act like the politician he is, why are we surprised?
if robert byrd had serious doubts about our iraq policy and mitch listens...

TheDriver
11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
the book has been a string of happy paragraphs trying to be bon mots.
for mitch mcconnell to act like the politician he is, why are we surprised?
if robert byrd had serious doubts about our iraq policy and mitch listens...

If this had been known during Mitch's 2008 election, he wouldn't be a senator right now. :o

Anyway it's a perfect time to hold-his-feet-to-the-fire since he is battling DeMint over earmarks. :D

Aratus
11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
bumpitty bumpbump bump! bumpitty bumpbump! THAH BUDGET IS... (OH MY! NIXON ERA EXPLETIVE DELEATED!)

Philhelm
11-14-2010, 12:39 PM
The troops have always been used for political capital. Politicians have a political suckfest over who appears to most support the troops. It's pretty clear that the decisions being made in Iraq and Afghanistan have no bearing on what would be best for the American people, or the troops involved in the war. These people are scum of the highest order...always remember that.

Aratus
11-14-2010, 12:46 PM
^ i think i am easily twice your age, given that i remember LBJ + RMN and the pentagon papers going public!

a worldly wise cynicism like that of mark twain happenstances when we get sorta jingoistic and aggressive.