PDA

View Full Version : Happy Bday Marines!

Uriel999
11-11-2010, 03:21 AM
235 years!

http://blog.stixblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/usmc-ega.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:cxiYj-VWdhZ51M:http://msp43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/tinarinkus/usmc.gif&t=1

YouTube - USMC-Marines Running Cadence - I Am Marine Corps Infantry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BM6KYPhZ20)

GunnyFreedom
11-11-2010, 04:07 AM
UUHRAH! Semper Fi! and thankee sai! :D

vita3
11-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Happy Birthday Marine Corps!

Here's to you getting honest civilian leadership, that doesn't use you for unattainable goals.

GunnyFreedom
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
happy birthday marine corps!

Here's to you getting honest civilian leadership, that doesn't use you for unattainable goals.

+1775 !

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Fredom101, Ron Paul Disagrees with you. :rolleyes:

2007 Video:

Ron Paul Wishes Happy Birthday To US Marine Corps

Ron Paul wishes happy birthday to the United States Marine Corps, an organization born on November 10, 1775 in Philadelphia.

YouTube - Ron Paul Wishes Happy Birthday To US Marine Corps Nov. 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4GoGdidHo)

And?
I don't blindly follow Ron Paul.

GunnyFreedom
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
That's not what the Marines do though. They go to foreign lands and slaughter innocent people. Are you a marine?

Yes, I am a Marine. You don't seem to have a clue.

FrankRep
11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
That's not what the Marines do though. They go to foreign lands and slaughter innocent people. Are you a marine?
Stop stereotyping Marines, Fredom101. Yes, Glen Bradley is a Marine.

GunnyFreedom
11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you feeling some anger towards me because your need for respect isn't being met?

:rolleyes: really?

The only thing I give a damn about is restoring liberty to my nation. People like you associated with our movement make that exponentially more difficult.

You can choose to make this all bout yourself if you like, or pretend that I am some kind of 'roid rager' if it fits better into your meticulously constructed fantasy world. Doesn't change reality though. :D

Theocrat
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
That's like saying guns kill people.

People kill people with guns.

Governments kill people with marines.

Anarchists won't understand that analogy, Elwar. To them, the government is bad, no matter what, just like (some) liberals believe guns are bad, no matter what.

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes: really?

The only thing I give a damn about is restoring liberty to my nation. People like you associated with our movement make that exponentially more difficult.

You can choose to make this all bout yourself if you like, or pretend that I am some kind of 'roid rager' if it fits better into your meticulously constructed fantasy world. Doesn't change reality though. :D

I didn't mean to come across as sarcastic. Are you irritated with me because I'm not showing empathy to you and Marines in general? I'd really like to understand where you are coming from, we obviously have different opinions here & I'm not trying to be a dick.

phesoge
11-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Happy B Day Marines.

Fredom I wouldn't blame the Marines for the actions of a few corrupt leaders.

TonySutton
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Frank, do marines not go to foreign lands and kill innocent people?

I traveled to over 30 countries during my 20 years in the Marines. I never killed a single person. I did provide food and blankets to some Lebanese soldiers who had been trapped on a mountain by a freak snow storm. I did provide food, water and other supplies to residents of the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Hugo ravaged them. I did go to Mostar to provide humanitarian assistance. I air lifted a tug boat captain off his ship in the Suez Canal and brought him on board our ship where he could get treatment for a heart attack.

Is that what you mean?

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
That's like saying guns kill people.

People kill people with guns.

Governments kill people with marines.

But someone has to pull the trigger, right?
If you were ordered to kill someone who had posed no threat to anyone in your family, would you carry out the killing? It sounds like you're saying that the people that pull the triggers are inanimate objects, like guns, no?

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I traveled to over 30 countries during my 20 years in the Marines. I never killed a single person. I did provide food and blankets to some Lebanese soldiers who had been trapped on a mountain by a freak snow storm. I did provide food, water and other supplies to residents of the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Hugo ravaged them. I did go to Mostar to provide humanitarian assistance. I air lifted a tug boat captain off his ship in the Suez Canal and brought him on board our ship where he could get treatment for a heart attack.

Is that what you mean?

That's great! Is what you did the stated goal of the marines? I'm asking, I really don't know what their goal is, but I do see a lot of killing going on in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Theocrat
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I didn't mean to come across as sarcastic. Are you irritated with me because I'm not showing empathy to you and Marines in general? I'd really like to understand where you are coming from, we obviously have different opinions here & I'm not trying to be a dick.

You're not trying to be a dick?

I see this as totally inappropriate to this forum.

Celebrate a killing machine? No way. This is the opposite of the liberty we're trying to promote here. :(

If this were a vagina monologue course, you would fail just by your own attendance.

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Happy B Day Marines.

Fredom I wouldn't blame the Marines for the actions of a few corrupt leaders.

Good point. However, I don't condone murder in any way. This isn't a case of self defense, because people have the choice to join or not join the military- and the US military has a tradition of aggressiveness and starting wars. So there's a huge problem.

GunnyFreedom
11-11-2010, 09:12 AM

You did not come across as sarcastic. You came across clearly stating that Marines are the opposite of Freedom. Indeed, that is a direct quote.

Politically, 85% or better of Marines are strict Constitutionalists -- a significantly higher rate than any other branch of service, and an exponentially higher rate than the 7%-10% found amongst the general population. Your statement clearly betrays your ignorance here.

And I explained quite directly why it annoyed me. "The only thing I give a damn about is restoring liberty to my nation. People like you associated with our movement make that exponentially more difficult." Do you need it translated into a different language?

All of this not even to mention your smear of my brothers and sisters currently working their asses off to restore liberty for your ungrateful self.

Oh that's right, y'all hate the Constitution too. Every time I knock on a voters door to explain to people why we need to go back to the American form of liberty and I see their eyes glaze over as they accuse "all you freedom people of hating America" I think of crap like this.

Oh wait, you guys hate voting too. :rolleyes:

Well have fun continuing to just make crap up about me and the Marine Corps. I'm off to show my face at a local Veterans Day celebration.

pcosmar
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I really don't know what their goal is,

You should have just left it there.
;)

TonySutton
11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
That's great! Is what you did the stated goal of the marines? I'm asking, I really don't know what their goal is, but I do see a lot of killing going on in Iraq & Afghanistan.

1) Provide Fleet Marine Force with combined arms and supporting air components for service with the United States Fleet in the seizure or defense of advanced naval bases and for the conduct of such land operations as may be essential to the execution of naval campaign.

2) Provide detachments and organizations for service on armed vessels of the Navy and security detachments for the protection of naval property at naval Stations and bases.

3) Develop, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, the doctrine, tactics, techniques, and equipment employed by landing forces in amphibious operations.

4) Provide Marine forces for airborne operations, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, according to the doctrine established by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

5) Develop, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, the doctrine, procedures, and equipment for airborne operations.

6) Expand peacetime components to meet wartime needs according to the joint mobilization plans.

7) Perform such other duties as the President may direct.

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
You did not come across as sarcastic. You came across clearly stating that Marines are the opposite of Freedom. Indeed, that is a direct quote.

Politically, 85% or better of Marines are strict Constitutionalists -- a significantly higher rate than any other branch of service, and an exponentially higher rate than the 7%-10% found amongst the general population. Your statement clearly betrays your ignorance here.

And I explained quite directly why it annoyed me. "The only thing I give a damn about is restoring liberty to my nation. People like you associated with our movement make that exponentially more difficult." Do you need it translated into a different language?

All of this not even to mention your smear of my brothers and sisters currently working their asses off to restore liberty for your ungrateful self.

Oh that's right, y'all hate the Constitution too. Every time I knock on a voters door to explain to people why we need to go back to the American form of liberty and I see their eyes glaze over as they accuse "all you freedom people of hating America" I think of crap like this.

Oh wait, you guys hate voting too. :rolleyes:

Well have fun continuing to just make crap up about me and the Marine Corps. I'm off to show my face at a local Veterans Day celebration.

Ok that is good to hear. I'm perfectly willing and open to change my mind here. My opinion going in was that the organization known as The Marines is anti-liberty. I see now from what you are telling me that most actual marines are pro-liberty. I didn't know this before and it definitely helps in formulating my opinion. If you don't mind I have some follow up questions.

Specifically, what do you see Marines doing to help restore liberty for Americans?

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:23 AM
1) Provide Fleet Marine Force with combined arms and supporting air components for service with the United States Fleet in the seizure or defense of advanced naval bases and for the conduct of such land operations as may be essential to the execution of naval campaign.

2) Provide detachments and organizations for service on armed vessels of the Navy and security detachments for the protection of naval property at naval Stations and bases.

3) Develop, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, the doctrine, tactics, techniques, and equipment employed by landing forces in amphibious operations.

4) Provide Marine forces for airborne operations, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, according to the doctrine established by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

5) Develop, in coordination with the Army, Navy, and Air Force, the doctrine, procedures, and equipment for airborne operations.

6) Expand peacetime components to meet wartime needs according to the joint mobilization plans.

7) Perform such other duties as the President may direct.

I'm not comfortable with this. The reason is that everything seems to be decided by the US government- which has a wretched history of starting wars and slaughtering innocent individuals. I'm not sure I can name a time in recent history when a US war was fought for defensive purposes. I'm not comfortable with #7 and all of its implications in terms of innocent people around the world dying for no reason other than to serve the US government and its corportate interests (i.e. military-industrial complex).

FrankRep
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not comfortable with this. The reason is that everything seems to be decided by the US government- which has a wretched history of starting wars and slaughtering innocent individuals. I'm not sure I can name a time in recent history when a US war was fought for defensive purposes. I'm not comfortable with #7 and all of its implications in terms of innocent people around the world dying for no reason other than to serve the US government and its corportate interests (i.e. military-industrial complex).
Attack the President, not the Marines.

TonySutton
11-11-2010, 09:29 AM

This is set by the National Security Act of 1947. In other words it was passed by Congress and signed by President Truman. If you do not like it you should actively work to get it changed.

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Attack the President, not the Marines.

Ok this is a point that I understand.
However, I still have concerns about innocent lives being lost.
The US has a long history of aggression, and this means innocent people are dying at the hands of the military. Knowing this, I'm curious why someone would want to work for this organization? Since it is highly unlikely that we are going to have a libertarian government any time soon, it is far more likely that unnecessary wars will be fought in the name of the MI complex...my question is what is the motivation to work for this organization in its current state?

Fredom101
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
This is set by the National Security Act of 1947. In other words it was passed by Congress and signed by President Truman. If you do not like it you should actively work to get it changed.

Any suggestions on how to actively work to get it changed? I would think the first step would be simply not working for (endorsing) the US government.

TonySutton
11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Ok this is a point that I understand.
However, I still have concerns about innocent lives being lost.
The US has a long history of aggression, and this means innocent people are dying at the hands of the military. Knowing this, I'm curious why someone would want to work for this organization? Since it is highly unlikely that we are going to have a libertarian government any time soon, it is far more likely that unnecessary wars will be fought in the name of the MI complex...my question is what is the motivation to work for this organization in its current state?

I can not speak for everyone but I can tell my story. Back in 1980, inflation was through the roof, the economy was terrible, unemployment was 7-8% and I had no money to further my education so I joined the Marines. My goal was to learn a trade and save money for college. I ended up enjoying the job I had which was repairing avionics systems on CH-53 helicopters so I stayed for 20 years.

My ideology now is not the same as it was 30 years ago when I first signed up. Having attended public school my entire life it took a lot of life experiences to open my eyes.

Elwar
11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Innocent people have died from guns used to defend their homes.

Should we chastise all people who would dare to defend their homes?