PDA

View Full Version : G-20 security fence in Seoul draws criticism

tangent4ronpaul
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-korea-summit-fence-20101111,0,5797073.story

Sounds like a good solid couple of days worth of rioting! What a stupid place to hod something like this. Grab some popcorn and watch the fireworks... :rolleyes:

A 7-foot bulletproof wall going up around the summit site in Seoul is seen as repressive. Other measures are extensive, including 60,000 security forces to help handle the hundreds of activist groups that have applied to stage protests.

Reporting from Seoul —
The barricade rose under cover of darkness, a mile-long wall of tough polyurethane and bulletproof glass that transformed the nation's largest mall and convention center into a South Korean version of Fort Apache.

As workers scurried overnight Wednesday to apply the finishing touches, the 7-foot-high security fence surrounding the site of Seoul's G-20 economic summit resembled something more apt to be seen in repressive North Korea than in one of the planet's newer democracies.

"We'll have it up by dawn," said a worker wearing a yellow hard hat.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-11/57533774.jpg

The wall encircling the Coex convention and exhibition center in the capital's fashionable Gangnam district is designed to offer peace of mind to foreign dignitaries converging here for two days of meetings that start Thursday, security officials say.

Similar barriers were set up at economic summits in London, Toronto and Pittsburgh to protect international leaders in the face of frequently violent demonstrations.

Nevertheless, criticism of the barrier is growing. Some call it the Korean peninsula's newest DMZ, a formidable fence separating the capitalist strategists from those staging the raging rallies outside.

Others liken the wall to a medieval moat or the barriers surrounding Baghdad's Green Zone.

In a dig at President Lee Myung-bak, newspapers have nicknamed the fence "Myung-bak's Wall No. 2," a reference to an earlier fortification of shipping containers used to block protesters during 2008 protests of U.S. beef imports.

"It just sends the wrong message," said Jang Sung-min, a former national legislator. "It reminds me of our country's dark days of military dictatorship. It just doesn't fit today's South Korea."

Security workers said they waited until 10 p.m. to erect the structure to reduce the inconvenience to adjacent residents and businesses. Critics counter that officials sought to keep it hidden amid all the feel-good pre-summit hoopla.

"It's a barrier to keep South Korea outside the conference," said Seoul G-20 spokeswoman Sohn Jie-ae. "It's not something security people want to talk about — a necessary evil."

The wall is actually one of three summit barriers erected here. There is also a "second line" green barbed-wire fence, as well as a "third line."

Additional security includes anti-terrorism guard posts and a secret state-of-the-art system that one newspaper here said can "detect possible terrorist suspects who have even had plastic surgery to change their faces."

Moreover, 60,000 security troop will be on hand to help handle the hundreds of activist groups that have applied to stage protests.

Experts point to ample rationale for the tight security.

" 9/11 changed everything," said John Kirton, co-director of the G20 Research Group at the University of Toronto's Munk School of Global Affairs. "These events used to be kinder, gentler affairs where there was little security and dignitaries were accessible."

As host of the summit, South Korea faces threats from known enemy North Korea but could now be on Al Qaeda's radar, Kirton said.

"A G-20 meeting is the perfect terrorist target," he said. "At no other time will attackers know in advance that the world's leaders will meet in a particular place and time."

North Korea has ridiculed Seoul's security concerns, its state-controlled news service calling them "a childish farce."

Late Wednesday, under stadium-bright lighting, laborers unloaded pieces of the hard plastic base of the fence, which they fitted together like Lego blocks and filled with water before affixing the bullet-proof glass to the top. As each truck pulled away after dumping its load, workers high-fived and then moved on to the next arriving truck.

A Buddhist temple near the summit site lies within the second security fence. After negotiations, security officials allowed worshipers to enter through a back door, despite worries that protesters might storm the building for use as a staging ground.

A temple official, who asked not to be named, said the center would handle its own security but that in "an urgent and tense situation, we will be calling for outside help."

When the summit closes shop, the man-made wall that helped create an image of a city under siege will face a pedestrian future: It will be broken apart and used as road lane dividers.

FrankRep
11-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Tens of Thousands Rally in South Korea Against G20 Summit (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267740)

Gulf Today
November 08, 2010

“We will never allow only 20 elite countries to decide the whole world’s future,” leaders chanted from the stage, as they also protested over the state of workers’ rights in South Korea and a proposed free trade deal with the US.

Hundreds of protesters tried to march towards the city centre against police warnings, pushing and shoving against police riot shields. Police used pepper spray to disperse the demonstrators.

devil21
11-11-2010, 01:44 AM
If our globalist leaders were doing good things they wouldn't need to hide behind these walls.

I actually thought Seoul was a good and relatively safe place to hold this G-20 since South Korea gets massive amounts of US aid and we still have a large troop presence there.

HOLLYWOOD
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
60,000 Troops to protect Obama and the G-20 Globalists in South Korea. WTF?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/11/113_76025.html

By Bae Ji-sook

Security is the first word that occurs to people when hosting a meeting of VIPs from 19 major countries and the European Union as well as heads of international organizations such as the United Nations.

Security at the G20 Seoul Summit from Nov. 11 to 12 will be the tightest in Korea’s history, with about 60,000 military, police and special officers watching over convention halls, hotels, roads and bridges 24 hours a day to prevent any possible terrorist attack or conventional mishap.

The police, military, fire fighters as well as the presidential security team has established a special task force to put embassies of member states, 1,468 public facilities, eight major airports, 27 ports, metro stations in Seoul and its vicinity, as well as major hotels and the Coex in southern Seoul under their full control.

Triple guard line

The security team will form a triple guard line ― the red zone will be around the Coex center, where 2.2 meter-walls will be installed.

The second line will be within 600 meters of the building with special fences and the third line will be 2.2 kilometers around Coex.

The 14-lane Yeongdong Boulevard and 12-lane Teheran-ro will be partially blocked and public transportation usage will be recommended to minimize traffic congestion.

Ordinary citizens will be prohibited from access to the Coex, the largest underground shopping mall in Asia that also accommodates the ASEM convention hall where the multilateral talks will take place. Computerized security checks will be conducted on all commuters. Security officers explained the state-of-the-art system will be able to detect possible terrorist suspects who have even had plastic surgery to change their faces.

Teams will be on alert around the clock on land and in the air. Fifty nearby high-rise buildings will be manned by military officers and snipers, who will also be on-call at the Umyeon and Daemo mountains near the venue.
Pedestrians and drivers visiting nearby areas will have to undergo tight security checks.

Security starts from airports

Earlier last month, Kim In-jong, head of the Presidential Security Service and the G20 security team, told reporters that tight security service will be provided from the airport at the time of arrival.

“For instance, from Incheon International Airport, security officers will monitor every move of presidential or delegation motorcades. They will pay extra attention from the mountains and nearby bridges. Officers will guard them till they reach their intended destinations,” he said.

In the case of emergency, firefighters will be waiting around the clock to deploy _ they have also been taught anti-terrorism drills.

Hotels will have restricted of access

Twelve five-star hotels will be accommodating the VIPs. They will have outside access strictly limited. Those with identification tags will be selectively admitted to accommodations.

Delegations of some VIPs have reportedly booked all the rooms of a hotel (in the case of the U.S.), and the respective upper and lower floors for others (most countries).

“Some VIPS have their own chefs with all ingredients flown from their home country for safety purpose. The hotel will be used to provide relaxation,” an industry insider said.

Protest to be prohibited

Any protests or rallies against the summit will be prohibited near the Coex. Organizers said the rights to hold class actions will be guaranteed but any demonstration within 2 kilometers from Coex and hotels where the VIPs are staying will be banned and the participants will be prosecuted regardless of their nationalities.
bjs@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/img/nation/101109_p03_tight.jpg

moostraks
11-11-2010, 06:31 AM
This is obscene. No wonder this jerks have such highly inflated egos. Maybe if the started to consider the people instead of just the needs of the elites they wouldn't need so much protection...

Teaser Rate
11-11-2010, 07:07 AM
If our globalist leaders were doing good things they wouldn't need to hide behind these walls.

Do you think that the anarchists who riot at these kinds of events are motivated by rationality ?

leonster
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I live near Seoul. COEX Mall is one of my most frequent shopping places. Nice food court and restaurants, one of the best bookstores in Korea for English books, aquarium, movie theater, etc... Wonder if they're shutting that down too... can't imagine the ~500 stores there could be too happy about this, if so...

american.swan
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
I live near Seoul. COEX Mall is one of my most frequent shopping places. Nice food court and restaurants, one of the best bookstores in Korea for English books, aquarium, movie theater, etc... Wonder if they're shutting that down too... can't imagine the ~500 stores there could be too happy about this, if so...

I drove past COEX tonight. The place was quiet. I heard about one small protest near City Hall which is no where close to COEX. I didn't hear about any 10 of thousands protesting. It also rained this afternoon and I'm sure that didn't help protesters. I heard one "lunatic" woman with "mental" problems tried to set herself on fire near to COEX this morning.

I'm not expecting a lot of protesters honestly. This place is way too "brainwashed", but a few might cause a ruckus. The amount of police seems like a lot, but you haven't been to COEX. The place is surrounded by apartment buildings and alleys. Normal protests aren't the problem it's the spontaneous protest they are trying to nip in the bud before they can get started. Also, the police is needed to direct traffic for the convoys going around town.

Every nation is being given Hyundai vehicles to use. I saw them lined up on the roof of COEX a week ago. Everyone had a plate with the following pattern. US-007, RU-007, CN-007.....I found that choice odd. James Bond anyone?

STORES? After extensive security checks your supposed to be able to get into COEX tomorrow, but it's been discouraged for months and shops are generally giving up on the notion and are going to be closed as they were advised to do.

Bruno
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I drove past COEX tonight. The place was quiet. I heard about one small protest near City Hall which is no where close to COEX. I didn't hear about any 10 of thousands protesting. It also rained this afternoon and I'm sure that didn't help protesters. I heard one "lunatic" woman with "mental" problems tried to set herself on fire near to COEX this morning.

I'm not expecting a lot of protesters honestly. This place is way too "brainwashed", but a few might cause a ruckus. The amount of police seems like a lot, but you haven't been to COEX. The place is surrounded by apartment buildings and alleys. Normal protests aren't the problem it's the spontaneous protest they are trying to nip in the bud before they can get started. Also, the police is needed to direct traffic for the convoys going around town.

Every nation is being given Hyundai vehicles to use. I saw them lined up on the roof of COEX a week ago. Everyone had a plate with the following pattern. US-007, RU-007, CN-007.....I found that choice odd. James Bond anyone?

STORES? After extensive security checks your supposed to be able to get into COEX tomorrow, but it's been discouraged for months and shops are generally giving up on the notion and are going to be closed as they were advised to do.

Nice to get a report from the ground from one of our own. Thanks!

Travlyr
11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you think that the anarchists who riot at these kinds of events are motivated by rationality ?
Do you think the G-20 world leaders in Seoul are motivated by rationality?

american.swan
11-11-2010, 09:01 AM
do you think the g-20 world leaders in seoul are motivated by rationality?

lol

american.swan
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Follow #g20 on twitter. They probably will have far better reporting. If my Korean ability was any good I could follow the Korean twitter users.

Seoul, the city, has a radio station. http://tbsefm.seoul.kr

Koreans seem to be using g20 and NOT #g20 on twitter.

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=+g20+OR+%23g20+near:%22COEX+%22+within:50 km

american.swan
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
http://business.inquirer.net/money/breakingnews/view/20101111-302722/G20-leaders-kick-off-stormy-summit

leonster
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
http://business.inquirer.net/money/breakingnews/view/20101111-302722/G20-leaders-kick-off-stormy-summit

What part of Seoul do you live in, by the way? I'm in Ilsan, just outside...

Teaser Rate
11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Do you think the G-20 world leaders in Seoul are motivated by rationality?

Of course, why wouldn’t they be?

You can’t compare high-ranking officials working on politically-favorable international treaties which may, or may not be in the best interests of their constituents with self-entitled delinquents who break windows and set police cars on fire with the stated goal of bringing the world together to fight globalism.

american.swan
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I live in 용인

ChaosControl
11-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Such a massive waste of money.

Seriously in this era if you're so concerned about safety, just do a teleconference instead of wasting multiple millions on travel and security.

american.swan
11-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Seriously in this era if you're so concerned about safety, just do a teleconference instead of wasting multiple millions on travel and security.

I don't think so. It seems to me they have these police state events solely to put in more police state laws and rules which don't go away after the events over.

devil21
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Im sad that you have fallen for the media propaganda regarding who attends the protests of G20 meetings. Anarchists? Ha. The "anarchists" at most of these events are the agent provacateur police dressed in black.

oyarde
11-11-2010, 07:59 PM

I have often wondered too if this would be better . It would save mucho dinero .