PDA

View Full Version : question about marriage licenses

kojirodensetsu
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey. This has sort of been on my mind's back-burner for awhile. But I've been curious about something. I've heard people say that the whole marriage license system should be dismantled altogether. I agree on principal however I'm unclear on the specifics regarding marriage (I am not married) and how dismantling the system would change how things are.

I'm just curious if married couples currently get tax breaks or something and if they do why people think they deserve it. Also I hear things about people getting married so that if one dies the other gets all the stuff. Also I hear that being married allows you to see your loved one when they're in the hospital. But then this brings up the question as to why do you need to be married to give your belongings away and why do hospitals deny people from visiting if they not married? Are these just fake arguments to try to sell the idea of marriage or is there merit to these points? And if these are real issues are there ways to fix it while dismantling marriage at the same time?

Elwar
11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I once saw a list of about 50 government laws that come into play when you're married.

Either way. Every thing the government does could be fulfilled by a standard marriage contract, or a customized one.

There are tax breaks for some and tax hits for others.

The whole idea of needing a government license to get married is just wrong.

Why doesn't the government get involved in other religious ceremonies? Why no communion license? Or baptism certificate?

AlexMerced
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Marriage Couples get a tax break if one spouse has no income cause then the other spouses income gets diluted plus the no-income spouse can now contribute to an IRS which they wouldn't if they weren't married and filing joint.

There are plenty of tax benefits to marriage if you somehow can afford to live the tradition husband housewife life that the tax code pushed by design which is no longer feasible cause of the inflation cause by government.

We would better off getting rid of all these social engineering artificats in the tax code and just going with a reduction in the nominal tax rates and ending the existance of marriage as LEGAL institution and relegate it back being only a social/spiritual institution as it always should of been.

oyarde
11-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I once saw a list of about 50 government laws that come into play when you're married.

Either way. Every thing the government does could be fulfilled by a standard marriage contract, or a customized one.

There are tax breaks for some and tax hits for others.

The whole idea of needing a government license to get married is just wrong.

Why doesn't the government get involved in other religious ceremonies? Why no communion license? Or baptism certificate?

Just wait until they think to charge people for a baptism certificate and a communion license . I can see it now , I will be sitting in Church some Good Friday and the Pastor will ask if I am taking communion and I say I would like to , but cannot because I am not paying for the communion license .

denison
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
We would better off getting rid of all these social engineering artificats in the tax code and just going with a reduction in the nominal tax rates and ending the existance of marriage as LEGAL institution and relegate it back being only a social/spiritual institution as it always should of been.

^^^This so much.

kojirodensetsu
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
So are you saying that any benefit that marriage may give can be given by a normal contract? Even hospital rights and citizenship gained from marrying someone here (I do think though that we're a little too strict on letting people enter the country in general)? Again, I'm just curious, because I want something really concrete to say if people ever start attacking my beliefs.

denison
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
So are you saying that any benefit that marriage may give can be given by a normal contract? Even hospital rights and citizenship gained from marrying someone here (I do think though that we're a little too strict on letting people enter the country in general)? Again, I'm just curious, because I want something really concrete to say if people ever start attacking my beliefs.

well in a libertarian society, where everything is privately owned. different hospitals would have different policies. there wouldn't be one standard everywhere.

and as far as "citizenship", what entity would be granting citizenship? in a stateless society no one. you could have anyone you want on your private property, including your foreign spouse.

Matt Collins
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
If it's a right, then you don't need to first ask permission to exercise it.

The Individual Right
03-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I have pretty much the same questions as the first poster. I would also add what about children? If I don't register them with the state are they going to be taken away from me if discovered?

oyarde
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I have pretty much the same questions as the first poster. I would also add what about children? If I don't register them with the state are they going to be taken away from me if discovered? I read an article about a couple young ladies in early / mid twenties a few months ago that could not get an id since they were born on the farm , never attended school etc. , cannot remember what state , maybe Ky or WV.

ZenBowman
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm all on-board for getting government out of the marriage business, but what happens in the case of a US citizen marrying a noncitizen spouse, and then subsequently filing for their immigration?