PDA

View Full Version : Inhofe gets it! (Earmarks vs. Pork)

Lucille
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
HotAir Exclusive interview: Sen. James Inhofe pushes back on earmark moratorium (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/10/exclusive-interview-sen-james-inhofe-pushes-back-on-earmark-moratorium/)

In a wide-ranging interview this morning exclusive to Hot Air with one of the leading conservative voices in Congress, Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma explained why he has decided to oppose the earmark moratorium pushed this week by fellow Republicans like Sens. Jim DeMint (SC) and John McCain (AZ). The moratorium not only contradicts the Constitution, Inhofe argues, but it puts the power of the purse mainly into the hands of the President — and Barack Obama has already shown that he can’t be trusted with it after his pork-filled stimulus plan from February 2009. Inhofe warns that “Obama wins” if the moratorium passes, which is why the President has publicly backed the effort.

Finally, someone else gets it!

I posted this link and quoted the following excerpt in the thread:

Neil Cavuto Busted Peddling Liberal-Smack On Rand Paul (http://capitalistbanner.com/2010/11/09/neil-cavuto-busted-peddling-liberal-smack-on-rand-paul/)

So there is a question of semantics when dealing with earmarks, as every state is entitled to some decree of funds from the federal government – we do all pay taxes remember? Most government spending could be defined as “earmarked” spending, but only “pork-barrel earmarks” have been the target of reformers, like Neil Cavuto and Rand Paul!

It will be be nice when Boobus Americanus finally gets it, especially when the anti-Paul contingent, who have a "fundamental misunderstanding" of earmarks, can no longer use this issue to bludgeon him with.

Ron Paul (http://www.ronpaul.com/2009-03-11/ron-paul-on-earmarks/): Thank you, Madame Speaker. I would like to address the subject of earmarks today. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here among the members about exactly what it means to vote against an earmark. It’s very popular today to condemn earmarks and even hold up legislation because of this.

The truth is that if you removed all the earmarks from the budget you would remove 1% of the budget. So there’s not a lot of savings. But, even if you voted against all the earmarks, actually, you don’t even save the 1% because you don’t save any money. What is done is those earmarks are removed and some of them are very wasteful and unnecessary, but that money then goes to the executive branch.

So, in many ways what we are doing here in the Congress is reneging on our responsibilities. Because it is the responsibility of the Congress to earmark. That’s our job. We’re supposed to tell the people how we’re spending the money. Not to just deliver it in the lump sum to the executive branch and let them deal with it. And then it’s dealt with behind the scenes. Actually, if you voted against all the earmarks there would be less transparency. Earmarks really allow transparency and we know exactly where the money is being spent...

Koz
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
OK, maybe I am stupid, but if that money is not spent in a bill via an earmark, and that money is not authorized to be spent at all then how is it that the executive branch can spend unauthorized funds?

So what I'm saying is why can we have a defense bill that authorizes a park in X state via an earmark, it seems to me that if there was no earmark in the bill directing spending than that money is not authorized at all.

I'm pretty sure we can figure out how to have no earmarks and not have the execuitve branch be able to spend that money either.

RonPaulCult
11-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Ron Paul and Rand Paul are both right on the subject - and probably both agree on the subject. But they speak out differently on it.

Ron says that earmarks are ok because the money will be spent no matter what - and it's better that congress spends the money than the President. It's a good point.

Rand wants to spend the money also - he just wants a committee to review the spending first to decide if it's in the interest of the country rather than a single member of congress sticking it into a bill in the dead of night.

I would guess that Ron Paul would rather have it done that way also - with more transparency.

Both Ron and Rand want the power to be in the hand of the legislative branch.

hugolp
11-10-2010, 12:59 PM
OK, maybe I am stupid, but if that money is not spent in a bill via an earmark, and that money is not authorized to be spent at all then how is it that the executive branch can spend unauthorized funds?

So what I'm saying is why can we have a defense bill that authorizes a park in X state via an earmark, it seems to me that if there was no earmark in the bill directing spending than that money is not authorized at all.

I'm pretty sure we can figure out how to have no earmarks and not have the execuitve branch be able to spend that money either.

Imagine there is a bill that will appropiate 100 million dollars for education. If you are a congresman what you can do is include an earmark that will send half million to your constituents to build a schoold (f.e.), and the vote no for the bill. So you are voting no because you dont want the money spent by the government, but in case the bill pases you make sure your constituents get their money back as a school.

TheDriver
11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
HotAir Exclusive interview: Sen. James Inhofe pushes back on earmark moratorium (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/10/exclusive-interview-sen-james-inhofe-pushes-back-on-earmark-moratorium/)

Finally, someone else gets it!

I posted this link and quoted the following excerpt in the thread:

Neil Cavuto Busted Peddling Liberal-Smack On Rand Paul (http://capitalistbanner.com/2010/11/09/neil-cavuto-busted-peddling-liberal-smack-on-rand-paul/)

It will be be nice when Boobus Americanus finally gets it, especially when the anti-Paul contingent, who have a "fundamental misunderstanding" of earmarks, can no longer use this issue to bludgeon him with.

I liked this:
YouTube - Rand Paul & John McCain's Definition of an Earmark Explained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlciFWPews)

Lucille
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
You beat me to it, TheDriver!

Ninja Homer
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM

I imagine they could earmark it to go towards paying the debt or to go back to the people in the form of a tax refund, but that's about it. If it isn't earmarked, then Obama decides how to spend it. Earmarks aren't bad, the media has just made them synonymous with pork.

Ninja Homer
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
YouTube - Ron Paul on Earmarks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTyHbGcUQY)

TheDriver
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I imagine they could earmark it to go towards paying the debt or to go back to the people in the form of a tax refund, but that's about it. If it isn't earmarked, then Obama decides how to spend it. Earmarks aren't bad, the media has just made them synonymous with pork.

But...

The "reformers" aren't after earmarked items presented through the committee process, they're after earmarked items that are not transparent and can be used as bribes to pass big bills aka "pork-barrel" earmarks.

I think we agree that: There is no reason an earmark can't be inserted in the budget bill, and then approved by the President and Congress, with the rest of the budget in plain sight.

That's the way earmarks should be handled, not the current way, imo.

ctiger2
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
The entire budget should be earmarked so we know exactly how much money is going to each program.

TheDriver
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
YouTube - Ron Paul on Earmarks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTyHbGcUQY)

Ron and Rand are coming at this issue from totally different angles...

TheDriver
11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
The entire budget should be earmarked so we know exactly how much money is going to each program.

And approved through the committee process as part of the budget, and then passed by Congress and signed by the President. That's what I see Rand Paul advocating for.