PDA

View Full Version : Barber isn't good at cutting blacks' hair

zadrock
11-10-2010, 03:29 AM
So let's make a national story out of it.

Hmm, what would Rand do? :D

Aldrich says that he gets only about one black customer a year at his shop in Bellows Falls, which lies on the Vermont-New Hampshire border and is 97 percent white. He tells them up front that he struggles with cutting their hair.

"I'm sorry," he said he tells them. "You can sit in the chair if you want, but I've tried cutting it, and I have problems. Whether I don't have the right equipment, I don't know."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40097232/ns/us_news-life/

I'm mixed race and I cut my own (nappy) hair. My son, whose mother is white, has straight hair and I have no idea how to cut it. OH MY GOD, I'm racist against my own son! :rolleyes:

Z

libertythor
11-10-2010, 04:24 AM
I can't believe anybody is taking that guy's complaint seriously. He would be crying racism and filing a lawsuit if the barber had cut his hair without knowing how and botched it.

Some people are just out to be offended or make a quick buck over a frivolous suit.

aGameOfThrones
11-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Why is this news? That Dr. is too emotional, FFS.

AcousticFoodie
11-10-2010, 04:46 AM
To be fair, the problem here is that both sides are just passive aggressive. The barber shoudl have just said straight up that he can't cut black hair and the black guy should have asked for clarification instead of jumping to racism right off the bat.

NYgs23
11-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Perhaps the federal government should mandate that all barbers receive training courses in cutting black peoples' hair before being licensed.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

aGameOfThrones
11-10-2010, 04:53 AM
To be fair, the problem here is that both sides are just passive aggressive. The barber shoudl have just said straight up that he can't cut black hair and the black guy should have asked for clarification instead of jumping to racism right off the bat.

I think he was trying to avoid what ended up happening. Politically Correct society FTW!!!

Krugerrand
11-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Perhaps the federal government should mandate that all barbers receive training courses in cutting black peoples' hair before being licensed.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

I think we should ban hair and make everybody shave their heads. :eek::D

legion
11-10-2010, 06:45 AM
It's very rare to find a white barber that can cut black hair. Every black person knows this.

The guy is probably just pissed off he lives in Vermont and there isn't anyone around that can cut black hair, so he decided to make a scene.

james1906
11-10-2010, 07:08 AM
It's very rare to find a white barber that can cut black hair. Every black person knows this.

The guy is probably just pissed off he lives in Vermont and there isn't anyone around that can cut black hair, so he decided to make a scene.

It says he was on vacation and lives in Taos, NM, another town short on black people. Maybe this doctor watched Barbershop too many times and thinks all white barbers are good at cutting black hair.

payme_rick
11-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Eh? Is being a nice service-provider now passive agressive?

And isn't "jumping to racism right off the bat" pretty aggressive?

oyarde
11-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I will cut his hair , no charge .

oyarde
11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
It says he was on vacation and lives in Taos, NM, another town short on black people. Maybe this doctor watched Barbershop too many times and thinks all white barbers are good at cutting black hair.

I have been through Taos once , I do not recall seeing anything but brown people including the white folk.

BlackTerrel
11-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I was about to agree with the OP. But you kind of quoted out of context and created a false impression. This is what actually happened:

Aldrich was playing cards with a friend, and Fisher asked if the barber was in. Aldrich said no, and Fisher went on his way. Later, walking past, Fisher saw through the front window that the man who'd told him the barber was out was cutting the hair of a white customer.

Dripping Rain
11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
LOL this is so effin unreal that it becomes funny

WELCOME to the
YouTube - Twilight Zone intro. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y)

silus
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Eh? Is And isn't "jumping to racism right off the bat" pretty aggressive?
1. These days people are just incapable of rational thought whenever race is brought up.

2. The fact is that the barbers actions were racially motivated. Was it necessarily wrong? No. Because he sucks at cutting black peoples hair. Yet because race is involved people automatically move to their default position of attacking and attempting to discredit the individual bringing up the race issue? Its pathetic how ignorant people can be these days.

3. In my opinion this issue just revolves around the barber being a coward. People will respect the person with terrible views yet is up front, people will despise the person that attempts to cover up and hide their true feelings.

4. He should have just cut the guys hair and taught him a lesson that you don't go wandering around assuming every white barber can cut your typical black person's hair.

libertythor
11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
I was about to agree with the OP. But you kind of quoted out of context and created a false impression. This is what actually happened:

Interim town manager Francis Walsh describes Aldrich as "the kind of guy if you went in there and you asked for a haircut and he was playing cards, he'd tell you to leave."

Morrow, an expert on black hair and product developer who has written textbooks about its treatment, says others have the same problem Aldrich does.

"He's telling the truth. He literally cannot (cut black hair)," said Morrow, who's black. "The doctor would've been very upset at the haircut he would've gotten."

It sounds like this is a case of bad communication skills and not necessarily racism.

BlackTerrel
11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
It sounds like this is a case of bad communication skills and not necessarily racism.

Guy walked up to the barber and said "where is the barber"? And the barber replied "no clue":

- kind of a dick move. Maybe racist, maybe just an asshole, maybe just a lazy SOB.