PDA

View Full Version : "stop pretending the new health reform law is some great progressive victory..." DU

purplechoe
11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9513746

Obama Again Admits His Health Care Law Is Republican, Not Progressive
By: Jon Walker
November 8, 2010

One of my strongest hopes is that everyone in the media, especially on the left, can simply stop pretending the new health reform law is some great progressive victory. It is not. It is a conservative, pro-corporate piece of legislation. From the CBS News:

"Obama: Well, partly because I couldn’t get the kind of cooperation from Republicans that I had hoped for. We thought that if we shaped a bill that wasn’t that different from bills that had previously been introduced by Republicans, including a Republican governor in Massachusetts who’s now running for president. That we would be able to find some common ground there. And we just couldn’t. And that was costly partly because it created the kind of partisanship and bickering that really turns people off."

In its basic design, the new law is even very similar to George Bush’s Medicare Part D, which also provides help by using extremely wasteful subsidized private health insurance exchanges. Obama even promised PhRMA he’d leave in place all the corrupt sweetheart deals from Medicare Part D that Democrats claimed to have found so offensive.

It doesn’t matter what prominent Democrats were telling the base when they were trying to sell the vote. Just because a basically Republican health care law was passed by Democrats doesn’t make it some great progressive policy victory. It is clear from this 60 Minutes interview not even President Obama honestly believes that, despite what he once tried to convince the base.

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/11/08/obama-again-admits-his-health-care-law-is-republican-not-progressive

Maybe they will finally come around and wake up from their idiotic Republicans=Evil, Democrats=Good stupidity... I doubt it...

FrankRep
11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
It is not. It is a conservative, pro-corporate piece of legislation.

Yet Zero (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/votes/house/finalhealthcare/) Republicans voted for ObamaCare.

HOLLYWOOD
11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh these DU Morons don't realize how they have been forced to their knees for: Corporate Hospitals, Big Pharma, Health MFG and Insurance Industries, plus the Federal Government's Power and Slavery stranglehold on Americans.

Those short sighted idiots over at Democracy Underground would consider it a victory if they got one spoon full of sugar. FOOLS

Their Fascist Messiah delivered them; HOOK, LINE, and SINKER to the Corporatist Masters

purplechoe
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Yet Zero (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/votes/house/finalhealthcare/) Republicans voted for ObamaCare.

before they voted for Bush's unfunded prescription program...

ChaosControl
11-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Anyone who isn't an idiot knew it was a corporatist piece of trash.

But then most on the regressive left are just as big corporate hacks as those on the neocon right.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Now that quote is a keeper.

"We thought that if we shaped a bill that wasn’t that different from bills that had previously been introduced by Republicans, including a Republican governor in Massachusetts..." --Obama

That's right, Obamacare == Romneycare. Gonna have to file that away for 2012 if needed.

FrankRep
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
"We thought that if we shaped a bill that wasn’t that different from bills that had previously been introduced by Republicans, including a Republican governor in Massachusetts..." --Obama

That's right, Obamacare == Romneycare. Gonna have to file that away for 2012 if needed.

RomneyCare is stupid, but Constitutional. (State Level)
ObamaCare is stupid and UnConstitutional. (Federal Level)

That's the big difference.

Lovecraftian4Paul
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Knowing the average Demwit, they'll blame those mean old Republicans for repealing their utopian legislation or poisoning the system when it either disappears or starts to show off its ill effects.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 09:21 PM
RomneyCare is stupid, but Constitutional. (State Level)
ObamaCare is stupid and UnConstitutional. (Federal Level)
That's the big difference.

I think you missed my point.

FrankRep
11-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I think you missed my point.
I'm just pointing out that RomneyCare is not equal to ObamaCare. ObamaCare is based on RomneyCare, but implemented on a federal level.

Brett
11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
We call corporatism leftist because we don't like it.
Leftists call it Conservative because they don't like it.

It's really neither, it's statist. False left/right paradigm anyone?

aravoth
11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Now that quote is a keeper.

Need that clip!

bunklocoempire
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh these DU Morons don't realize how they have been forced to their knees for: Corporate Hospitals, Big Pharma, Health MFG and Insurance Industries, plus the Federal Government's Power and Slavery stranglehold on Americans.

Those short sighted idiots over at Democracy Underground would consider it a victory if they got one spoon full of sugar. FOOLS

Their Fascist Messiah delivered them; HOOK, LINE, and SINKER to the Corporatist Masters

+ a bazillion. However, maybe they weren't really forced so much as herded...easily and willingly.

How can they not follow the money?:confused:

Bunkloco

tekkierich
11-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Need that clip!

Giving this man this clip in 1080p Dolby surround sound, is like giving Patton three days and 1000 tanks.

Averoth will slay Mittens in the primary with it!

My opinion of Obama just went up a small notch!