PDA

View Full Version : Colbert makes Rand Paul "the word"

Brian4Liberty
11-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Here we go. The left side of the establishment is beside themselves over Rand's election. They will do anything to undermine and compromise him. How many other politicians have been against raising taxes on the rich? If Rand says it, he is crazy.

Tube to come...

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Somehow I am completely unsurprised.

Kotin
11-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Hope someone recorded it.

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Hope someone recorded it.

I watched it and had to keep from puking up my Fruit Loops.

JohnEngland
11-09-2010, 02:44 AM
If Rand were to write a book explaning these things, these people would have no excuse for their ignorance.

libertythor
11-09-2010, 02:45 AM

Check out the Pastor Manning videos that are now in Hot Topics. I used to think that Manning was a friend of liberty, but now I think he just wants a Theocracy.

Theocrat
11-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Watch it here (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364881/november-08-2010/the-word---nothingness).

Bman
11-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Colbert. What a douche.

libertythor
11-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Watch it here (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364881/november-08-2010/the-word---nothingness).

:mad: That idiot Colbert fails to mention that the working poor actually don't pay taxes and get a transfer payment known as the Earned Income Tax Credit on top of that.

RonPaulCult
11-09-2010, 03:06 AM
It was pretty funny. A bit out of context and unfair but - expect that. And lighten up.

Humanae Libertas
11-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Typical pro-government idiot taking what Rand said out of context.

Zatch
11-09-2010, 03:11 AM
It was pretty funny. A bit out of context and unfair but - expect that. And lighten up.

Also, remember Colbert was very friendly to Ron Paul during his campaign.

Lord Xar
11-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Why on earth are you guys watching him?

You are contributing to his ratings, paying his bills and lending credence to his opinions.

I don't even bother watching him, maher or stewart -- the unholy trinity.

Dripping Rain
11-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Glad I dont watch that crappy unfunny show anymore. Yes I dont find colbert funny by any stretch

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-09-2010, 03:30 AM
:mad: That idiot Colbert fails to mention that the working poor actually don't pay taxes and get a transfer payment known as the Earned Income Tax Credit on top of that.

Untrue. The poverty level is now at $20,000USD for a single person due to inflation and I sure as fuck have taxes taken out of my paychecks. EIC also only goes to those making less than 8k last time I checked.

libertythor
11-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Untrue. The poverty level is now at $20,000USD for a single person due to inflation and I sure as fuck have taxes taken out of my paychecks. EIC also only goes to those making less than 8k last time I checked.

How much do you get back at the end of the year?

Edit: Sorry. I see that the limit is 13K for single people. However, anybody who produces one kid gets that limit raised to $35,000.

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM

Doesn't matter. I still have taxes taken out of my paycheck. There are also hidden taxes, like the both side of SS and Unemployment that employees actually pay despite claims to the contrary.

Esor
11-09-2010, 05:19 AM
And to think I actually bought "I am America (And So Can You)."

JacksonianBME
11-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Colbert/Stewart are gatekeepers for the establishment. They are there to bring in young folks.

DeadheadForPaul
11-09-2010, 07:25 AM
You know, I used to love Colbert. I watched him every night since the beginning of his show despite him being blatantly liberal

Over the past 3-6 months or so, I've really grown tired of his angle and only watched maybe 1 show a week tops
He has been particularly nasty to the Tea Party in general.
These have not been VALID criticisms but rather deliberate distortions and lies as if he's the Democratic mouthpiece himself.
I think this has done it for me. Good thing Conan started last night so I have something to replace the show with

sluggo
11-09-2010, 07:32 AM
I liked Colbert back when he was doing segments on the old Daily Show with Kilborn. Since he's gotten his own show, he's been far more annoying than entertaining.

cswake
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
If you want to give the site your traffic, here it is:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364881/november-08-2010/the-word---nothingness

hugolp
11-09-2010, 07:39 AM
You know, I used to love Colbert. I watched him every night since the beginning of his show despite him being blatantly liberal

Over the past 3-6 months or so, I've really grown tired of his angle and only watched maybe 1 show a week tops
He has been particularly nasty to the Tea Party in general.
These have not been VALID criticisms but rather deliberate distortions and lies as if he's the Democratic mouthpiece himself.
I think this has done it for me. Good thing Conan started last night so I have something to replace the show with

One word: elections.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 07:50 AM
You are contributing to his ratings, paying his bills and lending credence to his opinions.

I don't mind watching him. I hope he does keep making jokes about Rand, it will only make him even more popular on the "right". I hope he talks about Rand every single night. Because no matter what they joke or say, Rand is there for at least 6 years bitches. And if anything the campaign is shown, Rand has a great way of taking attacks and turning them into support.....

MsDoodahs
11-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Colbert must be trying to get some higher ratings by getting US to watch. lol...

Jordan
11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
2:49 in the video you can see Awake's poster!

Todd
11-09-2010, 08:11 AM
The "buddha" comment was kinda funny.

LisaNY
11-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I had no idea that Colbert was part of the radical left fringe targeting Rand. He and the rest, including Pastor Manning and the Looney Larouche cult can all go jump off a cliff. They are nothing but a bunch of miserable failures anyway. They failed the moment he got elected, and are now going for further fail by attacking him before he is sworn in.

Yes WE know they are just trying to influence the 2012 elections. They have decided to Palin-ize Paul but it's not going to work this time. Boy oh boy have they picked the wrong target.

As for the youth, what has the left offered them? War and debt? Have the comedy central clowns been able to convince them that war and debt is good for them?

moostraks
11-09-2010, 08:14 AM

Edit: Sorry. I see that the limit is 13K for single people. However, anybody who produces one kid gets that limit raised to $35,000.

Having a child is not the way to retaliate against income tax. They just end up biting you with all the hidden consumption taxes. The cost of raising a child is much greater than the kickback the EIC gives you

Matt Collins
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
If Rand were to write a book explaning these things, these people would have no excuse for their ignorance.
Excellent idea... :D

How colorful :p

Matt Collins
11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Ouch... bad soundbite.

AGRP
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Colbert?

You mean his writers who are paid to push propaganda?

BenIsForRon
11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I thought it was funny. Rand brought it upon himself with the silly comment.

I'm not worried though. The liberals will come around when Rand is the only guy in the senate trying to bring home troops and protect our liberties.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm not worried though. The liberals will come around when Rand is the only guy in the senate trying to bring home troops and protect our liberties.

That's funnier, last I checked they didn't care about that stuff any longer.

Brian4Liberty
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM

You don't seem to realize the power of propaganda. They have demonized Rand. Laugh all you like, but the media is powerful.

True story: I walked into a Halloween Party full of people who tend to be on the left. The biggest Stewart/Colbert/Maddow worshiping one of the bunch basically stopped the party and announced, "look, the Rand Paul supporter is here." I was demonized, and Rand is the devil to them. To make matters worse, after the election was over, I was with a group of mostly hard-core Republicans. They pretty much all said "Rand is too out there, he's a little too wacky for me, don't you like that Marco Rubio, he's really got President written all over him."

Dismiss the power of the media all you like. They shape the perception of 95% of the population.

ctiger2
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM

When I initially heard him make that comment I thought uh oh. But, as he explained it I was like ok. He's talking on a philosophical level. If you increase taxes on the rich they won't provide as many jobs or capital for investments or will just raise prices to make up for those taxes effectively taxing the poor and middle class. We're all one and interconnected in that sense. I think that's what he was getting at. He prob needs to dumb it down for the people.

BenIsForRon
11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
When I initially heard him make that comment I thought uh oh. But, as he explained it I was like ok. He's talking on a philosophical level. If you increase taxes on the rich they won't provide as many jobs or capital for investments or will just raise prices to make up for those taxes effectively taxing the poor and middle class. We're all one and interconnected in that sense. I think that's what he was getting at. He prob needs to dumb it down for the people.

Well, poor people have felt like they've gotten the shaft from the rich people, and they have. Rand needs to stick to the small business and community bank lines. Large industry and the mega banks have been working with the government to siphon wealth from the poor and middle class.

sevin
11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
What saddens me is that the majority of people probably don't know anything about Rand Paul aside from what they saw on Colbert.

WilliamShrugged
11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
You don't seem to realize the power of propaganda. They have demonized Rand. Laugh all you like, but the media is powerful.

True story: I walked into a Halloween Party full of people who tend to be on the left. The biggest Stewart/Colbert/Maddow worshiping one of the bunch basically stopped the party and announced, "look, the Rand Paul supporter is here." I was demonized, and Rand is the devil to them. To make matters worse, after the election was over, I was with a group of mostly hard-core Republicans. They pretty much all said "Rand is too out there, he's a little too wacky for me, don't you like that Marco Rubio, he's really got President written all over him."

Dismiss the power of the media all you like. They shape the perception of 95% of the population.

I agree:(

Brian4Liberty
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
What saddens me is that the majority of people probably don't know anything about Rand Paul aside from what they saw on Colbert.

Absolutely. That's why it's so effective. People are fed just a little negative propaganda, and that's the only information they have. They even forget that, and the only thing they remember is that they have a negative feeling about him.

What did anyone know about the John Birch Society before getting into Ron Paul? Most of us just had a strange feeling about them, they are out there, they are to be avoided. What did we really know about them? Nothing except that. That's what they are doing to Rand Paul.

Wren
11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Stewart > Colbert imo. Much funnier and not as hung up on his political ideologies

misterx
11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

They don't pay income tax. They are still taxed directly through sales, property, ad valorem taxes, etc. They're also taxed indirectly through dozens of other avenues, tangible and intangible. The biggest of these being the inflation tax, which actually hits the working poor hardest.

TheeJoeGlass
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM

You are clueless if you think that. Stewart and Colbert just messed up big time with the rally fiasco. The left was not amused and you can expect a different tune from the political comedians.

Nothing to lighten up about on this. This was a full blown attack that questioned everything about Rand, and everyone that voted for him.

I stopped watching Colbert after the board license cheap shot and hope that the majority of Libertarians stop thinking these guys are on our side. They are not.

AuH20
11-09-2010, 12:09 PM
It's all about poisoning the well. That's what these comedic segments are about. Too bad you'll never see a Bernie Sanders skit. These writers are so transparent in their biases.

AuH20
11-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Rand should go on this bastard's show and completely blow up this false image they created.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Rand should go on this bastard's show and completely blow up this false image they created.

That^

TheeJoeGlass
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM

No, continue to ignore them, stay away from major news networks except for Fox. Stay on message and never give them the chance to attack you in person. They will never stop! And they will always view Rand as the SS/Medicare killer. Nothing to gain by giving them a ratings boost.

AuH20
11-09-2010, 12:26 PM

It wasn't a silly comment. Without entrepreneurs risking capital and time, job creation becomes non-existent. I'm certainly not defending corporatism, but to demonize and punish anyone making over $250,000 is height of stupidity. Many on the left have no idea who's truly rich and the sacrifices which come with success, especially in the small business realm.

AuH20
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
No, continue to ignore them, stay away from major news networks except for Fox. Stay on message and never give them the chance to attack you in person. They will never stop! And they will always view Rand as the SS/Medicare killer. Nothing to gain by giving them a ratings boost.

The left is dying because it's patronage machine is on life support. That's the only consolation to be taken from these troubling times.

Scottj88
11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
We are reaching the tipping point for humanity, as I feel this movement has already succeeded with the fact that it exists. There will be a lot of turbulent times ahead of us, but I feel that we are winning and humanity is truly unleashing its true power. If you like this train of thought or are curious, at the risk of having my account removed, check my blog out (I am doing it for no other purpose as a way to express myself and all things I say should be understood by the person before acting on them). Rand Paul is a vehicle to getting what we want, we are almost there... keep up the good work guys!!
-
Scott J

http://thehardrightedge.com

dannno
11-09-2010, 12:39 PM

:(

low preference guy
11-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Before I read the thread I was sure BenIsForRon would defend his lover. I was not wrong!

dannno
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, poor people have felt like they've gotten the shaft from the rich people, and they have. Rand needs to stick to the small business and community bank lines. Large industry and the mega banks have been working with the government to siphon wealth from the poor and middle class.

That's a collectivist view.. Many 'poor' people are much richer because of 'rich people' providing them capital and jobs so they can produce and sell.

You're correct that the banks, and the corporations that have "grown up around the banks" are screwing over the poor people, but rich people aren't inherently the enemy, and taxing them is not going to help poor people.

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM

There is plenty to gain. Do you want a chance to reach out to the young voters in this country? Or just hand them over wholesale to the left?

BenIsForRon
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
but rich people aren't inherently the enemy, and taxing them is not going to help poor people.

I never said that. I'm just taking issue with Rand's wording.

And I've had many laughs watching Colbert over the past five years. I'm not going to stop watching because he hurt my feelings once.

BuddyRey
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't even want to watch; it'll just raise my blood pressure.

sailingaway
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
You guys should watch Rand defeat Spitzer's attack attempt as an antidote: YouTube - Rand Paul "Your Personal Agenda Is Getting In The Way Of You Being A Good Broadcaster" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSI6Dsw1AS8&feature=player_embedded)

Knightskye
11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364881/november-08-2010/the-word---nothingness

Spoiler alert -- Colbert makes an analogy to the human body, and the caption on the right side of the screen says "Rand Paul is the a-hole."

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Spitzer is a fucking douchebag.

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-10-2010, 02:32 AM
You're correct that the banks, and the corporations that have "grown up around the banks" are screwing over the poor people, but rich people aren't inherently the enemy, and taxing them is not going to help poor people.

Yea, Stefan Molyneux talks about the fact that if you point government guns at the rich, they will use their money and influence to take the reins of government to aid themselves against the poor. As he says, you cannot achieve virtue with violence.

j6p
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM

For all the idiots on RPF that belive this they can shove it where the sun dont shine.

specsaregood
11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
You guys should watch Rand defeat Spitzer's attack attempt as an antidote: YouTube - Rand Paul "Your Personal Agenda Is Getting In The Way Of You Being A Good Broadcaster" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSI6Dsw1AS8&feature=player_embedded)

LOL, Rand smacked that douche upside the head with his own nozzle.

eOs
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM

CoCo is on TBS on their timeslot now, if you must watch TV at this time, I suggest tuning into TBS at 11.

Bruno
11-10-2010, 01:23 PM
^ Wow, he spanked him!! lol

JVParkour
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Rand is a BEAST.

VBRonPaulFan
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Doesn't matter. I still have taxes taken out of my paycheck. There are also hidden taxes, like the both side of SS and Unemployment that employees actually pay despite claims to the contrary.

You can't really classify SS/unemployment money taken out as a 'tax'. For SS, it's the government forcing you to be responsible (LOL) and put your money into a retirement fund they manage. So you aren't just losing that money, you eventually get it back (we all hope). Unemployment is government forcing you to pay for an insurance in the case you lose your job. Also, not really a tax. You get it back if you get fired and are eligible.

Now, for paying taxes...

If you are single and made 20k, had 2k withheld from your paycheck...
5700 is deducted pretax for your standard deduction
3650 is deducted pretax for your personal exemption
10650 = balance
your tax would be 1183
now subtract 400 posttax for the make work pay credit and you're left with a 783 tax bill. that is a 3.95% effective tax rate, not bad, eh?

now, same scenario and have one kid. you get almost 2500 for EIC, an addt'l 3650 personal exemption, 703 bucks for the child tax credit, and 297 for the addt'l child tax credit. you suddenly have a 5200 refund.

when you average it out, yes, the bottom earners really don't pay any taxes. the tax system is so f'd up.