PDA

View Full Version : Drones to used in UK for spying on citizens.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Note how the Daily Fail spins this as a "celebrity" issue.

A serious effort needs to made in the direction of developing electronic jamming or "frying" devices.

Celebs beware! New Pandora's box of 'personal' drones that could stalk anyone from Brangelina to your own child

They could put your mind at ease - or do very much the opposite.

A new arms race is on and it could change everything from the way we parent to how we get our celebrity gossip.

For the technology currently being used by the CIA to ferret out terrorist leaders in the hills of Pakistan is set to arrive in a neighbourhood near you - and there's nowhere to hide.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/06/article-1327343-061158EC000005DC-789_468x286.jpg

Spy drones are considered the future of policing, although critics have voiced concerns that they could be a worrying extension of Big Brother Britain.

Last month arms manufacturer BAE Systems said it was adapting military-style UAVs for a consortium of government agencies led by Kent police. Documents showed the force hoped to begin using the drones in time for the 2012 Olympics.

But they also indicated that the drones could eventually be used to spy on the civilian population, by rooting out motorists suspected of antisocial driving, for covert urban surveillance and to monitor 'waste management' for local councils.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/06/article-1327343-00ACA721000004B0-211_468x479.jpg

Similar concepts are already being developed in the U.S.

'If the Israelis can use them to find terrorists, certainly a husband is going to be able to track a wife who goes out at 11 o'clock at night and follow her,' New York divorce lawyer Raoul Felder told the Journal.

The technology is swiftly moving beyond military and even police circles - already unmanned aircraft that can fly predetermined routes cost just a few hundred dollars and can be operated by an iPhone.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor and former Navy fighter pilot Missy Cummings is working to develop a 'Personal Sentry' drone about the size of a pizza box that warns soldiers if danger is approaching from behind.

But, she said, 'that military stuff is kind of passe'.

'It doesn't take a rocket scientist from MIT to tell you if we can do it for a soldier in the field, we can do it for anybody.'

She told the Wall Street Journal that she could use such technology to follow her young child on the way to school by planting an electronic bug in her lunch box or backpack.

'It would bring a whole new meaning to the term hover parent,' she said.

The FAA has not approved the use of personal drones just yet. But a spokesman said the agency is working with private industry on standards that could allow the broader use of drones.

Grey areas already exist, however - particularly with the recreational use of drones.

There are no regulations governing recreational drone use. Instead the FAA recommends - emphasis on 'recommends' - such drones be flown away from populated areas, from aeroplanes, below a certain altitude and so on.

And if people claim their drones are for personal use, that could theoretically get around many FAA regulations.

So while the military has to follow rules of engagement regarding drone use, there is - as yet - no similar set of rules regarding privacy for domestic use of drones.

'If everybody had enough money to buy one of these things, we could all be wandering around with little networks of vehicles flying over our heads spying on us,' Ms Cummings said.

'It really opens up a whole new Pandora's Box of: What does it mean to have privacy?'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1327343/Personal-recreation-drones-developed.html#ixzz14iRYpB81

youngbuck
11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Jeez, the UK really is the ultimate police state - coming soon to a city near you.

Heimdallr
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Dear God.

This is by far the most Orwellian thing the British have come up with thus far. Like... holy crap! This just elevates the unwarranted surveillance to a whole new level.

Wiretapping and security cameras, although they make me wary, and quite angry at people's complacency, never really truly frightened me.

But the concept of walking outside and having drones potentially spying on you everywhere you go makes me feel threatened on a personal level. This shit is right on our doorstep. It's very, very real.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Dear God.

This is by far the most Orwellian thing the British have come up with thus far. Like... holy crap! This just elevates the unwarranted surveillance to a whole new level.

Wiretapping and security cameras, although they make me wary, and quite angry at people's complacency, never really truly frightened me.

But the concept of walking outside and having drones potentially spying on you everywhere you go makes me feel threatened on a personal level. This shit is right on our doorstep. It's very, very real.

Heimdallr,

Serious question, would Newfoundland be a realistic "bug out" destination?

Or are things there just as bad if not worse?

Mach
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Can you say .22?

HOLLYWOOD
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, looks like we'll have new targets and save money when going "Skeet Shooting". ;)

Same should go for those government cash registers know as Red Light cameras

Heimdallr
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Heimdallr,

Serious question, would Newfoundland be a realistic "bug out" destination?

Or are things there just as bad if not worse?

Serious answer?

Not sure how in-depth you're talking about in terms of a "bug out" destination, like are you talking like a full-on survivalist style thing, or just somewhere off the beaten path?

500k people in , dysfunctional government, isolated communities, independent and welcoming people, very little military presence and a whole lot o' forest. Yeah, I'd say it would.

We're pretty laid-back here, so it's likely you would never see anything like those drones anywhere in NL. Perhaps a few in St. John's in the worst case scenario, but it's doubtful.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Serious answer?

Not sure how in-depth you're talking about in terms of a "bug out" destination, like are you talking like a full-on survivalist style thing, or just somewhere off the beaten path?

500k people in , dysfunctional government, isolated communities, independent and welcoming people, very little military presence and a whole lot o' forest. Yeah, I'd say it would.

We're pretty laid-back here, so it's likely you would never see anything like those drones anywhere in NL. Perhaps a few in St. John's in the worst case scenario, but it's doubtful.

That's kind of what I was hoping to hear.

No, not a "survival" bug out but a "get out of the country" bug out.

Very isolated, perfect climate (I'm in NH) and neat folks, a beautiful place as I recall from a visit years and years ago when the fishing vessel I was working on pulled into St. John's.

Plus, I've got one of "your" dogs. ;)

As much as I've said that I will stay and make my stand here, and I still plan on it, shit is getting serious enough where I might have to consider sending the wife and children out of this madhouse.

Heimdallr
11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
very isolated, perfect climate (i'm in nh) and neat folks, a beautiful place as i recall from a visit years and years ago when the fishing vessel i was working on pulled into st. John's.

LOL that's rich. We're slated for a toasty 37 F on Thursday. Not to mention that it rains. All. The. Time.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
LOL that's rich. We're slated for a toasty 37 F on Thursday. Not to mention that it rains. All. The. Time.

LoL.

I'm dead serious.

I left Palm Beach FL to move to NH.

I've lived in the "tropical paradises".

You can have it.

Heimdallr
11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
LoL.

I'm dead serious.

I left Palm Beach FL to move to NH.

I've lived in the "tropical paradises".

You can have it.

Just be prepared to never see blue sky and direct sunlight again. Or vertically-falling rain/snow.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Just be prepared to never see blue sky and direct sunlight again. Or vertically-falling rain/snow.

I could deal with it. ;)

Travlyr
11-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, looks like we'll have new targets and save money when going "Skeet Shooting". ;)

Same should go for those government cash registers know as Red Light cameras
Hahaha.... targets for "Skeet Shooting" :D