PDA

View Full Version : What taxes DOES Ron Paul Support?

RCA
10-19-2007, 10:43 PM
We all know that RP wants to do away with many taxes (income, property, death, marriage, estate). The question is, what taxes does he SUPPORT?

:rolleyes:

steph3n
10-19-2007, 10:44 PM
quite a few corporate taxes still would exist if i am not mistaken, also there is a 36 cent(or maybe 38 now) gas tax, and a number of others

RCA
10-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm assuming he also supports the cigarette tax. Is it just me or should HQ put together a two column list of taxes that he opposes and taxes he supports and an explanation for each. It sure would help clear the air regarding the "Ron Paul wants to get rid of taxes" garbage. Also, if HQ did this, it would be a PERFECT chance to explain his stand on Social Security in that he wants to phase it out and give young people a choice to opt out while still supporting people who depend on it.

Hook
10-19-2007, 11:22 PM
The Constitutual ones. Namely: Import taxes, tariffs, duties, excise taxes, as well as direct taxes apportioned by states populations.

sylvania
10-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Corporate taxes are constitutional so I'm assuming those would stay.

This brings up an interesting question though - I wonder if the income from some of the pass-through entities (LP, LLP, LLLP, LLC, PC, etc.) would become taxable. Technically, they are legal entities in and of themselves (much like a corporation) and they limit the liability of the owners (like a corporation)...just a thought that crossed my mind the other day.

Hook
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Corporate taxes are constitutional so I'm assuming those would stay.

This brings up an interesting question though - I wonder if the income from some of the pass-through entities (LP, LLP, LLLP, LLC, PC, etc.) would become taxable. Technically, they are legal entities in and of themselves (much like a corporation) and they limit the liability of the owners (like a corporation)...just a thought that crossed my mind the other day.

Corporate taxes are also unconstitutional. They are direct taxes without regard to apportionment of states population.

jaumen
10-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Corporate taxes aren't taxes on individuals though, they are taxes on corporations. As far as I know, there is nothing unconstitutional about this tax.

Hook
10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Corporate taxes aren't taxes on individuals though, they are taxes on corporations. As far as I know, there is nothing unconstitutional about this tax.

That could be true. But income isn't something that is authorized to be taxed in the Constitution. I suppose they could create a Corporation excise tax or something.

steph3n
10-19-2007, 11:40 PM
That could be true. But income isn't something that is authorized to be taxed in the Constitution. I suppose they could create a Corporation excise tax or something.

there are non income taxes that corporations pay as well.

Johncjackson
10-19-2007, 11:53 PM
I doubt he "supports" any/many taxes to the point of making a List of "Hey I love these taxes." But I think he would first go after the obvious unconstitutional ones. it's about priorities and he has made distinctions in several speeches that there are programs he isn't too concerned about abolishing, even if he disagrees with them. i would think taxes are in the same boat.

Personally I would love government cut to the point that basically all taxes are gone, but it's a dreamworld at this point.

I don't think the point is educating people about what taxes to keep, but what functions of govenrment would run smoothly without the IRS. A lot of people are very naive and think if there were no Federal INCOME tax that we would have no roads or post office,etc.

ValidusCustodiae
10-20-2007, 03:34 AM
The definition of income originally was corporate gains, not the wages of the working individual. Federal Personal *Income* Tax is really a misnomer, unless you argue that the word's meaning has changed.