PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Rand would be willing to take this pledge?

skyorbit
11-07-2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance213.html

Tracy

MRoCkEd
11-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Why go out of your way to alienate people by signing that? If Rand comes out as basically an anarchist, he will be dismissed. He's playing it perfectly now, taking the "reasonable" position of wanting a balanced budget, which would mean 40% cuts in spending!

low preference guy
11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
i don't think so.

skyorbit
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
He wouldn't come out as an anarchist. He'd come out as a Constitutionalist. All these agencies are unconstitutional.

Tracy

DeadheadForPaul
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Why go out of your way to alienate people by signing that? If Rand comes out as basically an anarchist, he will be dismissed. He's playing it perfectly now, taking the "reasonable" position of wanting a balanced budget, which would mean 40% cuts in spending!

+1

Choose your battles.

Would you rather get 4 things accomplished with a more nuanced approach or would you rather get 0 things things accomplished and lose a valuable senate seat.

skyorbit
11-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I just hope Rand doesn't buy into the lie that "you have to save your political capital"

I agree. Pick your battles. But that doesn't mean, you're going to endorse all the things you don't pick to battle either.

Tracy

Jandrsn21
11-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I won't lie, after reading that I got a stiffie! If that were to happen tomorrow, man this country would be AMAZING!

MaxPower
11-08-2010, 12:52 AM
While I think it is likely Rand would privately agree with all or nearly all of those ideas, it is pretty clear he would not "sign on" to such a pledge. He already said, for example, that he isn't against the Americans With Disabilities Act- which doesn't mean he personally "supports" it, but does mean that he isn't going to try to get it repealed, which Vance's pledge involves "promising" to do. I certainly understand Rand's strategy, here; if he came out and tried to do a lot of the things in Vance's pledge, he would immediately lose all political credibility in the eyes of most of the public, would be jettisoned from the "influential member" club to "fringe kook" territory in the Senate, and would have no chance at actually making a serious push for the real central planks of his agenda.

skyorbit
11-08-2010, 01:03 AM
I just hope he doesn't work so hard to be "influential" that he ends up not changing much I guess.

I guess we'll see.

Tracy