PDA

View Full Version : Duncan being pushed to challenge Steele for RNC chair

Agorism
11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/07/duncan-being-pushed-to-challenge-steele-for-rnc-chair

Mike Duncan, who presided over the Republican National Committee from 2007 to 2009 before losing his bid for a second term to the current chairman, Michael Steele, is being encouraged to challenge Steele and is seriously considering such a move.

“Mike has been encouraged by a number of people to consider running,” said a source close to Duncan, a 60-year old veteran of Republican politics who lives in Kentucky.

The Duncan associate said that the former chairman “has a great job and is happy where he is and has made no decisions.”

“But people are encouraging him actively to do it,” he said.

The conflict within the GOP over whether a clear contender will emerge to challenge Steele is expected to reach a head this week, as the time to campaign grows shorter ahead of the RNC’s vote in January on its next chairman.

Many within the party adamantly do not want Steele to gain a second term. They say he has been a profligate spender who deprived the party of key financial and get out the vote resources that could have translated into an even bigger win than the GOP had last Tuesday.

Heading into an election cycle where the goal will be to defeat President Obama’s reelection effort, most Republicans in Washington believe Steele is the wrong man for the job.

Steele defended himself Friday in a round table with reporters at RNC headquarters, one in a string of interviews he has done since the Tuesday returns to defend his record.

“I inherited a party that no one wanted to be a part of,” Steele said. “There were a number of steps that we had to take to get us to the point where this past Tuesday could happen.”

Steele has cast himself as a Tea Party ally as well, appearing at movement events and speaking along side former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and paying her legal bills in exchange for fundraising help. But Saturday, one leader of a Tea Party group called for Steele to resign.

“Michael Steele needs to go and someone from the Tea Party needs to take his place,” said Judson Phillips, founder of Tennessee-based Tea Party Nation, saying that Steele has spent money “like a drunken Democrat.”

But no clear contender has emerged to take Steele on. Duncan is one of several names that have been whispered, along with North Dakota GOP chairman Gary Emineth, Michigan national committee member Saul Anuzis, whose run in 2009 many think cost Duncan his chance at a second term, and David Norcross, an RNC member from New Jersey.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour has been asked by members of the party to run against Steele, and would easily brush Steele aside if he did, according even to Steele supporters. But so far, Barbour has made clear he is not interested, as he considers a run for president in 2012.

There are 168 voting RNC members, and Steele currently is thought to have around 50 votes in his pocket, starting with the block of 15 votes from the five U.S. territories, which he has paid lots of attention to. He will need to get to 85 to win a second term.

Email Jon Ward and follow him on Twitter

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/07/duncan-being-pushed-to-challenge-steele-for-rnc-chair/#ixzz14cBYXKJf

South Park Fan
11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
From what I've heard, Steele has been more accomodating to the Paulites than any of the other potential RNC chairmen (especially Saul Anuzis)

low preference guy
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
So Mike Duncan is from Kentucky. Does he have a good relationship with Rand?

speciallyblend
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
the gop is fucked

forsmant
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Mike Duncan is not a friend of liberty.

Matt Collins
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
From what I've heard, Steele has been more accomodating to the Paulites than any of the other potential RNC chairmen (especially Saul Anuzis)
Ron has said that Steele is the only chairman to not only acknowledge his presence, but to actually reach out to him:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/End-the-Fed1.jpg

djdellisanti4
11-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I think it is in our best interests to defend Steele. He's no libertarian, but he's a big tent guy.

james1906
11-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Steele knows not to bite the hand that feeds him.

MRoCkEd
11-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Keep Steele.

CableNewsJunkie
11-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Keep Steele.

I concur.

tnvoter
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM
keep steele.

keep!

Kotin
11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
steele is our guy.. hes not the best.. but hes much better than that asshole duncan..

wormyguy
11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Steele has made some very encouraging statements. He's our guy.

Dripping Rain
11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
steele is our guy.. hes not the best.. but hes much better than that asshole duncan..

+1776
what ive been saying all along

Sola_Fide
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Steele said very good things about our movement when he was campaigning for Rand.

Although he would be cooler if his name was just "Steele"...like "Shaft"

wormyguy
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Steele said very good things about our movement when he was campaigning for Rand.

Although he would be cooler if his name was just "Steele"...like "Shaft"
Hello, ma'am. I'm Steele Shaft.

nate895
11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by Michael Steele's reaching out to our wing of the party, and I think he might even be "one of us," so to speak. I hope he gets reelected.

I will say, however, that he has not done great as a political boss, and that is his real weakness going into this election. The party is a lot more anti-war than at the start of his term, enough so that they need another excuse besides his moderately anti-war comments in order to kick him out.

kkassam
11-08-2010, 03:24 AM
I'm with the Hip-Hop Republican.

He has major flaws, on which I could elaborate.

But:

From our perspective: 1) He's been welcoming to the Paul wing from the beginning (even in the RNC chair debates), and recognized it as the only part generating energy among younger people. 2) He made those skeptical sounds on the Afghanistan mission, demonstrating his not a through-and-through neocon.

From a GOP perspective: Look at his performance. He has fundraised with the best of them and overseen a sharp reversal in the party's fortunes. He can't be doing everything wrong.

Bman
11-08-2010, 03:28 AM
Didn't I hear somewhere in the rumor mill that at least one of his kids(Steele) is a Ron Paul fan?

Thomas
11-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Didn't I hear somewhere in the rumor mill that at least one of his kids(Steele) is a Ron Paul fan?

i think his son is

Eric21ND
11-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Steele has been better than expected and more open.

t0rnado
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Steele is more likely to support libertarian leaning candidates in the primaries than Mike Duncan is.