PDA

View Full Version : Pat Toomey "Willing To Join Tea Party Caucus"

DeadheadForPaul
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Just said that on CNN

I've never really looked into Toomey that much, but from what I've read and seen he will be a very important ally on fiscal matters. I'm sure his foreign policy will leave much to be desired, but I think the debt will be the central focus on the GOP for the next 2 years. It's all they've got to win

* In successive terms in Congress, Toomey filed no earmark requests. In fact, he swore off all earmarks, led the fight to eliminate them and signed the "No Pork" pledge as a senate candidate

* When no longer a Congressman, in January 2005 Toomey became president of the Club for Growth

Let's hope he will help Rand bring change to the GOP

amy31416
11-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Just said that on CNN

I've never really looked into Toomey that much, but from what I've read and seen he will be a very important ally on fiscal matters. I'm sure his foreign policy will leave much to be desired, but I think the debt will be the central focus on the GOP for the next 2 years. It's all they've got to win

* In successive terms in Congress, Toomey filed no earmark requests. In fact, he swore off all earmarks, led the fight to eliminate them and signed the "No Pork" pledge as a senate candidate

* When no longer a Congressman, in January 2005 Toomey became president of the Club for Growth

The war hawks have this bobblehead firmly in their clutches, and he brings his own enthusiasm for blowing up the Middle East. But he might be okay on domestic fiscal matters--probably not so much on the civil liberties front.

Agorism
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
This should be an antiwar caucus if possible.

That would be hard to string together though.

paulitics
11-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Just said that on CNN

This guy is no different than Rick Santorum. He is an uber neocon, and will disappoint on fiscal matters since his ideology is logically inconsistant. Earmark cutting does not impress. All big govt types like to focus on this red herring for a reason.

AGRP
11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Let the co-opting formalities begin.

Agorism
11-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Maybe Toomey is antiwar as well.

A two man tea party would be fine.

MRoCkEd
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybe Toomey is antiwar as well.

A two man tea party would be fine.
Toomey is NOT antiwar.

He'll be another DeMint at best.

Galileo Galilei
11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Toomey is endorsed by the RLC. Of the new Senators, only he, Mike Lee, and Rand fall into that category.

amy31416
11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Not even close to being a moderate on foreign policy.

Read more if you can stomach it: http://www.toomeyforsenate.com/content/national-security

NATIONAL SECURITY

Pat believes that our country must have the strongest defensive capabilities in the world. We should not hesitate to take action in defense of our freedom and our American way of life. But we must also make sure that American military action is guided first and foremost by the country’s national interest.

READ PAT'S OP-ED ON U.S. ANTI-TERRORISM POLICY IN THE ERIE TIMES-NEWS BY CLICKING HERE.

As a congressman, Pat always voted to fund our most important defense systems, including the strategic missile defense program to protect our country from the threat of a missile attack. He believes we must support our democratic allies around the world and be firm when it comes to dealing with rogue nations like Iran, making sure we prevent them from acquiring nuclear weapons.

READ PAT'S OP-ED ON SANCTIONS ON IRAN IN THE NATIONAL REVIEW BY CLICKING HERE.

Finally, part of our national security must also include a comprehensive program to protect our nation’s soldiers and veterans and ensure their continued well-being. As a senator, Pat will fight to make sure our soldiers have the equipment they need to be victorious and our veterans have the care they deserve when they come home.

ISRAEL

I had the great pleasure of visiting Israel in 1999 on an AIPAC-sponsored trip. On a policy level, this was an incredibly informative experience. Not only were our official meetings with governmental and military leaders insightful, but directly seeing the physical terrain and challenges Israel faces was eye-opening. My Israel trip was also moving on a personal and spiritual level. No one who takes their faith seriously, as I do, can leave Israel without a profound sense of the historical and biblical importance of the land, and without a profound respect for the manner in which the Israeli government and people treat the holy sites.

Israel is without question the United States’ greatest ally and friend in the Middle East, and among its best allies in the entire world. Israel is a beacon of democracy and freedom in an area of the world dominated by dictatorships and political persecution. U.S. cooperation with Israel strengthens both countries in the continuing fight against global terrorism.

Israel’s Right to Self-Defense:
Like every country, Israel has a fundamental right to self-defense, including protecting its borders and responding to and preventing terrorist attacks from any sources. Israel has endured decades of terrorism and war, and, in fact, has acted toward its enemies with more restraint than would most any other country. When Israel has taken military action, it has always done so in self-defense, and it should be supported in its defensive efforts.

Iran:
Over the past twenty years, the Iranian government has aggressively pursued a nuclear program with the hope of attaining nuclear weapons, consistently flouting United Nations resolutions to suspend its nuclear activities and open up its facilities to international inspection. Its president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, persistently engages in anti-Semitic rhetoric akin to that of Nazi Germany, denies both the Holocaust and Israel’s right to exist, and embraces an ideology of hatred and violence toward both Israel and America. There is no question that a nuclear-armed Iran would pose an unacceptable threat to Israel, the United States, and its allies.

READ PAT'S OP-ED ON IRAN BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK.

It is abundantly clear that Iran’s nuclear activities have nothing to do with peaceful energy development. Iran is the world’s number two exporter of oil and a large exporter of natural gas. Despite its energy wealth, it remains a very poor country. Poor countries with virtually unlimited supplies of cheap carbon-based energy don’t spend billions of dollars enriching uranium for peaceful nuclear energy.

Merely talking with Iran is not sufficient. As a Member of Congress, I supported a number of bills to put pressure on Iran, including:

* The Iran Nonproliferation Act of 2000 (RC #409, 09/14/99) (RC #28, 03/01/00)
* The five-year extension of the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act (RC #276, 07/26/01)
* H Con Res 398 that would condemn Iran’s continuing deceptions and falsehoods about its nuclear programs (RC #152, 05/06/04)
* A bill to authorize the U.S. to withhold assistance for programs of the IAEA relating to the development and completion of the Bushehr nuclear power plant in Iran. (RC #310, 07/19/99)

And I strongly believe that the U.S. should now impose the most aggressive possible economic and travel sanctions against the Iranian regime. These sanctions may not succeed, but certainly, in their absence, Iran will become a nuclear power.

At the conclusion of this paper, you will find two op-eds that I wrote in 2009 on the need for strong and immediate sanctions against Iran.

Recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital:
Every sovereign nation’s choice of its own capital should be respected. The United States must always recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and we should move the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. From 1948 to 1967, Jerusalem was a divided city and Israeli citizens were prohibited from accessing holy sites in the area controlled by Jordan. Thankfully, today Jerusalem is once again an undivided city, the capital of Israel, and members of all faiths are welcome.

The Peace Process and a Two-State Solution:
Israel has the most at risk in negotiations over its borders and security. As such, the U.S. ought not to unduly pressure Israel to make concessions it deems incompatible with its security. External forces such as several European states, Russia, and the United Nations, all of whom have a history of hostility to Israel, are not likely to play a constructive role in the peace process and should not be encouraged to participate.

To say the least, it is understandable that Israel would demand Palestinian renunciation of violence and recognition of Israel’s right to exist as a sovereign Jewish State as non-negotiable preconditions for any peace agreement. Over the sixty years since Israel’s birth as a state, it has made many concessions to its Arab neighbors in the name of coexistence and peace, but concessions have often been met with continued violence. In 2005, Israel unilaterally withdrew from Gaza in a demonstration of its willingness to move toward a peaceful solution, but this effort was met with terrorism and war.

A major obstacle to peace is a pervasive culture of violence and hatred among Palestinians. State-sponsored news media and schools teach children to celebrate suicide bombers. Palestinian leaders must begin the process of cracking down on homegrown terrorism and embracing a culture that eschews violence and hatred. Without this fundamental foundation, real peace is impossible.

READ PAT'S OP-ED ON IRAN AND AFGHANISTAN BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK.

Settlement Growth:
Existing settlements are part of the landscape for a negotiated agreement between Israel and the Palestinians. But no one knows when such an agreement will be reached. In the meantime, existing settlements are also home to hundreds of thousands of peaceful, law-abiding Israeli citizens, and have been so for decades. Natural population growth in those settlements should not be a matter of international dispute. Israel has a right to accommodate and defend this natural growth.

Hamas and Palestinian Terrorism:
Based in the Gaza Strip, Hamas is responsible for some of the bloodiest acts of terrorism and loss of thousands of innocent lives—both Israeli and Arab. The group remains committed to the destruction of Israel and the use of violence to achieve its aims. There is no place for Hamas in the future of a peaceful Middle East. Israeli efforts to defend itself from Hamas-led attacks should be supported, and U.S. efforts should pressure Palestinian leaders to eradicate terrorist groups like Hamas from its midst.

His page on Israel's security is far longer and far more detailed than that of US national security. Quite telling.