PDA

View Full Version : GOP to Challenge Obama on Foreign Policy

Agorism
11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Republican to Challenge Obama on Foreign Policy
GOP Aims to Keep War Spending Growing
by Jason Ditz, November 05, 2010

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/05/republicans-to-clash-with-obama-on-foreign-policy

"This week’s mid-term election victory by the Republican Party sets up a major series of foreign policy clashes with the Obama Administration, as incoming congressmen eye battles on a number of fronts with the hawkish administration. But not the good kind like you’d want.
Rather the GOP congressmen are expected to try to out-hawk Obama as much as possible, fighting against the new START treaty on nuclear arms reduction and attempting to worsen relations with Cuba, Iran, and North Korea.

Beyond that, the battles center around an aforementioned effort to keep the Afghan war going as long as possible and to keep the military budget growing at the alarming pace that has already brought the nation to the brink of bankrupcy.

Given his enthusiasm for endless, escalating warfare it may seem difficult to outhawk President Obama, but by attacking his stated positions (the same stated positions that netted him a Nobel Peace Prize) instead of his actual, starkly different policies, they seem poised to forge an even more jingoist Congress ready to take even the most cynical lip-service to peace and blow it up into a sign of weakness ahead of the 2012 election."

lester1/2jr
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
all signs point to the GOP remaining clueless on this front

PeacePlan
11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
all signs point to the GOP remaining clueless on this front

I agree - Israel has Washington firmly under control.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Is there any doubt in anyones mind that we are a Militaristic Empire? We are the worlds pre-eminent Military/Police State.

Definition of a 'fiscal' 'conservative'. Spending 2 trillion on Military, Police, Surveillance, instead of 4 trillion. We could have always spent more -- FC Motto.

Hey, but it's ok. They'll reduce a little welfare so they can increase MIC spending. (Remember folks, it didn't matter their Foreign Policy positions, they said they are 'fiscal' 'conservatives'! -- Primary & General Election jargon BS)

Heimdallr
11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
//

JacksonianBME
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
They need to read some Bastiat.

Ninja Homer
11-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Let me get this straight... Obama is elected because everybody thinks he's going to end the wars, or at least think he's the one more likely to bring peace. Obama fails to end the wars as promised, and the people are pissed off and put a bunch of Republicans in office. Now the Republicans think the way to win in 2012 is to start even more war? These people are too stupid to live without adult supervision, let alone run a country.

JacksonianBME
11-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Let me get this straight... Obama is elected because everybody thinks he's going to end the wars, or at least think he's the one more likely to bring peace. Obama fails to end the wars as promised, and the people are pissed off and put a bunch of Republicans in office. Now the Republicans think the way to win in 2012 is to start even more war? These people are too stupid to live without adult supervision, let alone run a country.

He actually never promised to end the Afghan war. In fact he was the only D in the 2008 debates to argue for unilateral intervention in Pakistan. This notion that he was going to "end the wars" was a lie from the beginning.

HOLLYWOOD
11-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Obama doesn't control foreign policy and in general is a Puppet.

Israel, AIPAC, your Wealth, MSM Media, and Terrorist Zionists have taken this country to the point of crumbling, whether it be through controlling the politicians, inciting their well coordinated Fear and Terrorism propaganda campaigns or a dozen other theft avenues. They have shaken almost every nickle out of the poor and middle classes, stripped businesses out, and gimmicked PONZI/PYRAMID schemes to stick the taxpayers with huge piles of debt upon future generations all in the glorious name of "NATIONAL SECURITY" and/or "TO PROTECT".

They say it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater, what's the penalty for; inciting, creating, and escalating global terrorism/wars?

It's very easy to connect the dots of this highly rigged and elaborate operations. SO tired of the establishment's continued propaganda BS through their Public Relations firms of the MSM mediums.

Stary Hickory
11-07-2010, 11:14 AM
WTF is wrong with the GOP? This is NOT why people voted you back in office. It really pisses me off.

Stary Hickory
11-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Yeah the Neocons in the GOP make me angry. They had better watch themselves. I am waiting to see how this all unfolds before I pass judgment.

Lucille
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Yup! Because that's what America went to the voting booth for. More ruinous, GD perpetual war.

The only way these idiotic wars are ever going to end is if they bring back the draft, or when Zimbabwe Ben kills the dollar (http://www.lewrockwell.com/raimondo/raimondo101.html).

We are frickin' doomed! This country is being run (into the ground) by madmen who are totally and completely disconnected from reality!

Stary Hickory
11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Yup! Because that's what America went to the voting booth for. More ruinous, GD perpetual war.

The only way these idiotic wars are ever going to end is if they bring back the draft, or when Zimbabwe Ben kills the dollar (http://www.lewrockwell.com/raimondo/raimondo101.html).

We are frickin' doomed! This country is being run (into the ground) by madmen who are totally and completely disconnected from reality!

Well I don't know that the GOP will push on this. I see a lot of stuff like this posted making it seem like this is what the GOP is all about. There are neocons in the GOP, but they are weakened considerably. So I don't know if what I see sometimes is just an overblown tibit made into something more significant than it is, or if it really is what it is.

So I am going to wait and see what happens here. The GOP knows the war in Iraq cost them big in 2006-2008. Hannity never admits, he pisses me off...ignores it. But even that airhead realizes the war is what killed the GOP. To jump back on that suicide bandwagon again seems highly unlikely.

Ninja Homer
11-07-2010, 12:22 PM
He actually never promised to end the Afghan war. In fact he was the only D in the 2008 debates to argue for unilateral intervention in Pakistan. This notion that he was going to "end the wars" was a lie from the beginning.

Yeah, I think everybody here at RPF knew that, but the general perception of the public was that he'd end the wars. Hell, against McCain, anybody looks like the peace candidate.

Brett85
11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
The GOP should vote against the new START treaty. I thought that voting against treaties that take away American sovereignty was a non interventionalist position? I support ending the empire and bringing our troops home from around the world, but we don't need to cut our nukes in half and get involved in another one of these treaties. If you want to know how bad the START treaty is, Lindsey Graham is all for it.

PreDeadMan
11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
pretty funny a lot of the tea party people claim to dislike both parties.... it looks like a surge of R's were elected.... i personally don't give a shit about any political party but... according to that logic shouldn't the 3rd party candidates have won instead of the R's?

HOLLYWOOD
11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I support ending the empire and bringing our troops home from around the world, but we don't need to cut our nukes in half and get involved in another one of these treaties. If you want to know how bad the START treaty is, Lindsey Graham is all for it.

It's all a BS deal filled full of loopholes for both sides. The Russian Side of START reported: http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100408/158487362.html (http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100408/158487362.html)
Russia (http://en.rian.ru/russia/)http://en.rian.ru/i/fra/icons/square-orng.gif (http://en.rian.ru/export/rss2/russia/index.xml)

New START treaty benefits both signatories - Russian analyst (http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100408/158487362.html)

Topic: START: Russia-U.S. nuclear talks (http://en.rian.ru/trend/strategic_arms_reduction_treaty/)

The new strategic arms reduction treaty is beneficial for both Russia and the United States, a Russian military analyst said on Thursday.
The new treaty, signed by presidents Dmitry Medvedev and Barack Obama in Prague on Thursday, is expected to bring Moscow and Washington to a new level of cooperation in the areas of nuclear disarmament and arms control.
"It is a compromise agreement in which Russia and the United States moved as close to each other in their positions as Moscow and Washington considered reasonable," said Igor Korotchenko, editor-in-chief of the National Defense magazine.
The new strategic arms pact stipulates that the number of nuclear warheads is to be reduced to 1,550 on each side over seven years, while the number of deployed and non-deployed delivery vehicles must not exceed 800.
Overall, the new deal slashes the number of warheads by 30% and the number of delivery vehicles by half from 2002 levels.
The Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty (SORT), better known as the Moscow Treaty, which was signed in 2002, provided for a ceiling of 1,700-2,200 nuclear warheads on each side.
Korotchenko said both countries had a reason to agree to these comprehensive cuts.
"Russia benefits from the deal because it will be able to decommission Soviet-era liquid-fuel heavy ICBMs whose service life has expired," the analyst said.
The low reduction ceilings also meet Russia's interests because the production of new solid-fuel Topol-M and RS-24 ICBMs has been slow and the development of the ill-fated Bulava SLBM is still in question.
"The United States is revising the role and the place of nuclear weapons in its national security strategy and emphasizing high-precision weaponry, which allows the U.S. military accomplish practically the whole range of tasks," Korotchenko said.
The analyst added that U.S. missile defense plans in Europe remained the major irritant in Russian-U.S. relations.
"It is obvious that the sides will not be able to reach a compromise on this issue in the next five to seven years and Russia will be either forced to find an adequate, but less costly response or it will have to agree on joining the global missile defense network controlled by the United States and NATO," he said.
Both presidents pledged at the signing ceremony in Prague to continue dialogue on missile defense to remove the disagreements that remain between Moscow and Washington over U.S. plans.
Medvedev proposed cooperation with the United States in creating a global missile defense network.

Anti Federalist
11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Obama doesn't control foreign policy and in general is a Puppet.

Israel, AIPAC, your Wealth, MSM Media, and Terrorist Zionists have taken this country to the point of crumbling, whether it be through controlling the politicians, inciting their well coordinated Fear and Terrorism propaganda campaigns or a dozen other theft avenues. They have shaken almost every nickle out of the poor and middle classes, stripped businesses out, and gimmicked PONZI/PYRAMID schemes to stick the taxpayers with huge piles of debt upon future generations all in the glorious name of "NATIONAL SECURITY" and/or "TO PROTECT".

They say it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater, what's the penalty for; inciting, creating, and escalating global terrorism/wars?

It's very easy to connect the dots of this highly rigged and elaborate operations. SO tired of the establishment's continued propaganda BS through their Public Relations firms of the MSM mediums.

That ^^^

Agorism
11-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I'd be in favor of unilateral disarmament.