PDA

View Full Version : What's the likelihood that Rand Paul will vote AGAINST raising the debt ceiling?

low preference guy
11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
What's your degree of confidence that Rand Paul will vote AGAINST raising the debt ceiling?

Anti Federalist
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
90% chance he will vote against.

<30% chance that he will filibuster.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
It would be nice if Rand filibusters instead of merely voting against. Let him know we want him to filibuster it. I hope to eat crow and Rand makes a critical stand for libertarianism and individual liberty. This is his first chance to do it.

low preference guy
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
someone should make a companion poll with the filibuster question. i would say at most 20% likelihood he will filibuster

JamesButabi
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I voted 25-50% wrongly as I thought this was fillibuster. I think 100% he will vote against.

Kotin
11-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Probably against.. But has anyone actually heard him speak on the matter??

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Probably against.. But has anyone actually heard him speak on the matter??

Only Speculation on Rand Paul. Strong feelings he will oppose.

Beck may not be the only conservative to believe in lowering the debt ceiling. According to MSNBC commentator Larry O’Donnell, Kentucky’s new Republican Sen. Rand Paul would prevent a hike to the debt ceiling, thereby causing an immediate default and possibly a global depression.

Business Insider writes, “Even if [Rand Paul] couldn’t do it on his own, there’s the fear that the GOP-controlled House could prevent the ceiling from being hiked, especially since Michael Steele, head of the RNC, has vowed ‘no compromise’ on this issue.”

In addition to Paul and Steele, Tea Party-elects like Utah Republican Senate-elect Michael Lee has vowed to oppose any increase in the debt ceiling, even if it means clashing with his own party. Likewise, many political campaign ads targeted incumbent Democrats’ previous votes to raise the debt ceiling.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/5087-will-gop-oppose-increase-of-debt-ceiling

erowe1
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
He really has nothing to lose by voting no.

He's pretty much guaranteed to be in the minority. So he can set himself apart from the rest without any consequences of having to make drastic decisions or being responsible for a government shut down.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Doesn't this increase have to pass the house before it goes to the senate? If so, this poll won't really be that relevant or accurate, b/c first you have to assume it passed the house, which is now under Republican leadership.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Doesn't this increase have to pass the house before it goes to the senate? If so, this poll won't really be that relevant or accurate, b/c first you have to assume it passed the house, which is now under Republican leadership.

Hahaha, that is hilarious. You think the GOP actually wants to stop the increase in spending. Look who is at the helm in the house - John Boner. He loves spending. The House will pass the raise mark my words.

teacherone
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
he would become an instant hero and a force to be reckoned with if he stood up there and filibustered the thing.

imagine the nerve of a freshman tea-partier shutting the whole train down.

man-- i get a tingle up my leg just thinking about it.

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Hahaha, that is hilarious. You think the GOP actually wants to stop the increase in spending. Look who is at the helm in the house - John Boner. He loves spending. The House will pass the raise mark my words.

Rand Paul, Michael Steele (RNC), Michael Lee are opposing the debt ceiling increase. We'll see how it plays out.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 03:08 PM

:D
I was just pointing out that the poll is not very accurate b/c there is a chance it won't pass the house, or gets delayed, or etc etc etc.
But yes, I think it will pass the house, and then we will just who the REAL republicans are. I do think this is an opportunity for those on the right side of things, I think any GOPer that votes or supports raising of the debt ceiling will be called out by liberals not being able to control their hatred, and I think they will be called out by the tea party people, as well as the Libertarians, the Independents and the patriot movement, so it will be bad news either way for these sell outs.

low preference guy
11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
:D
I was just pointing out that the poll is not very accurate b/c there is a chance it won't pass the house, or gets delayed, or etc etc etc.

the poll is based on the assumption that it will pass the hose. if i wrote if it passes the house... what's the likelihood of.. the text would be longer than the limit for a question/title.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
he would become an instant hero and a force to be reckoned with if he stood up there and filibustered the thing.

imagine the nerve of a freshman tea-partier shutting the whole train down.

man-- i get a tingle up my leg just thinking about it.

He would become a hero to us and some others, but he would become the devil to others. If Rand tries to fillibuster, they will say he is trying to "shut down government" and then, if the bottom tanks, they will blame it all on Rand. I think Rand fillibustering is a no-win situation, and a super ballsy and risky move as a freshman politician. He would take the heat for all the scumbags who voted for it in the house if it was actually stopped, which will never happen, so it is moot IMO. Let the scumbags who voted for the bailouts that got us in to this mess put a stop to their OWN reckless spending for once...

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
the poll is based on the assumption that it will pass the hose. if i wrote if it passes the house... what's the likelihood of.. the text would be longer than the limit for a question/title.

In that case, I have no doubt he will vote against raising the debt ceiling.

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Propose an amendment for every single dollar of potential debt.

And now comes amendment #19 billion... :)

I wonder if we could pull off a decentralized grass roots mass printing of two trillion amendments.

anaconda
11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
It's not about a debt ceiling...it's about making massive spending cuts. But he would likely vote no since there should be no reason to raise it.

Baptist
11-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Seriously. We are even questioning whether or not Rand will vote NO on raising the debt, and people think that the GOP as a whole is going to vote NO? Right. The GOP are frauds and they will prove it in a few months.

low preference guy
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Seriously. We are even questioning whether or not Rand will vote NO on raising the debt, and people think that the GOP as a whole is going to vote NO? Right. The GOP are frauds and they will prove it in a few months.

i hope every republican house member who votes to increase it gets thrown out in 2012. i think all of them voted against it the last time, but now that they're in power they might vote for it.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
i hope every republican house member who votes to increase it gets thrown out in 2012. i think all of them voted against it the last time, but now that they're in power they might vote for it.

exactly. especially all the noobs who were put their via the tea party. I bet they fear the wrath... Politicians DO try to avoid pain and get re-elected. That is about all they do, so if this is going to be stopped, this will be the time to stop it. This raising of the debt ceiling masked as "spending cuts" should be the tea party's new focus. IMO.

We need Ron Paul to get on the toob and explain to the people how voting against raising the debt ceiling is not voting to "shut down the government". Raising the amount of debt that the government can accumuluate is diametrically opposed to decreasing spending. Both can't be done.

Anti Federalist
11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
No real spending will be decreased, ever.

Spending on things "untouchable" is the greatest portion of fed spending.

No one will cut the military/surveillance complex, SS or Medicare, nor will they entertain the possibility of reneging on the debt that can never be paid.

Thus QE and endless spending and war.

The train has jumped the tracks already, all we can do is brace for impact.

South Park Fan
11-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Rand's in a Democratic-majority Senate, so he will definitely vote no.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Rand's in a Democratic-majority Senate, so he will definitely vote no.

Of all the crack potiest reasons to vote against ANYTHING, it is that, so what is your real point SPF?

Knightskye
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
What happens if he filibusters it? Can we still balance the budget?

knarfxii
11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
because that is in this session and not in the next which Rand will start in.

revolutionary8
11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
because that is in this session and not in the next which Rand will start in.

Wow. I am glad I am not the only noob. lol
I take my vote back.

South Park Fan
11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Of all the crack potiest reasons to vote against ANYTHING, it is that, so what is your real point SPF?

The point was that the GOP leadership isn't going to discourage him from voting against it since they are in the minority. Rand might be subject to more peer pressure if Mitch McConnell were majority leader, and since Rand is an untested commidity, it might be more like a 95% chance that Rand would vote against it if the GOP controlled the Senate.