PDA

View Full Version : Bush Donor Takeover Of MSNBC, Network Selectively Applies Rules To Suspend Olbermann

Agorism
11-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Link to article (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/05/burke-comcast-msnbc/)

PDATE Media Matter's Eric Hananoki notes that MSNBC host Joe Scarborough gave a local Alabama Republican candidate $5,000 as recently as this year, and CNBC host Larry Kudlow donated $1,000 to Republican Chris Shays in May of 2009. Indeed, Kudlow also serves on the Leadership Council to the Club for Growth, a group that has donated over $2 million to Republican candidates this year. Do NBC ethics rules apply to Scarborough, Pat Buchanan, Kudlow, or other conservatives working for the media company? As Greg Sargent reported, a close reading of the NBC ethics rules suggest that the political donation standards do not even apply to opinionated hosts like Olbermann.

Flash
11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
What if they were looking for a reason to get rid of him? Has his ratings been declining? I heard Maddow's ratings were outstanding, perhaps it would be wise to move her to Olbermann's slot.

Philhelm
11-06-2010, 12:38 AM
I had thought that permission was part of the contract? Did the others notify MSNBC beforehand?

Agorism
11-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I had thought that permission was part of the contract? Did the others notify MSNBC beforehand?

Probably so, but it looks like Scarborough and Kudlow violated the same rules.

See Media Matters.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201011050037

hugolp
11-06-2010, 01:08 AM
What if they were looking for a reason to get rid of him? Has his ratings been declining? I heard Maddow's ratings were outstanding, perhaps it would be wise to move her to Olbermann's slot.

This was exactly my first though about the issue. His ratings probably werent good enough to justify his contract so this was as good reason as any to fire him.

angelatc
11-06-2010, 01:15 AM
The idiots over at that lefty leaning site have now admitted that the "Bush donors" don't actually own MSNBC yet.

UPDATED: We have been notified that Comcast has not yet officially taken over MSNBC/NBC Universal. Although Comcast has tentatively finalized a deal to purchase a majority stake in NBC....

These are the same bastards that started crabbing about the Chamber of Commerce funneling foreign money into the elections, and continued to spout off about it even after everybody from the New York Times on down had investigated the claims and found the bloggers had no evidence.

dumbasses. (them, not the OP.)

Agorism
11-06-2010, 01:16 AM
The idiots over at that lefty leaning site have now admitted that the "Bush donors" don't actually own MSNBC yet.

These are the same bastards that started crabbing about the Chamber of Commerce funneling foreign money into the elections, and continued to spout off about it even after everybody from the New York Times on down had investigated the claims and found the bloggers had no evidence.

dumbasses. (them, not the OP.)

Dinosaur media hates bloggers. Why not fire Sarborough and Kudlow as well?

angelatc
11-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Who actually cares?

MSNBC is a private corporation - they don't have to be fair to their employees.

Besides, Democrats pick and choose who has to play by the rules: see "Health Care Law" for evidence of that. 31 corporations are now exempt.

dead drunks dont dance
11-06-2010, 01:23 AM
RINO(REPUBLICAN IN NAME ONLY) = George bush.

The Bush donor also gave money to Democrat Arlen Spector(Another failure).

I highly doubt ms-dnc will all of a sudden become some bedrock for liberty, conservatism or the constitution.

angelatc
11-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Dinosaur media hates bloggers. Why not fire Sarborough and Kudlow as well?

The dinosaur media's opinion of bloggers has nothing to do with the fact that these particular bloggers are just throwing crap to see if any will stick.

MSNBC is a private company. It is really none of our business who they choose to fire or why. For all we know they were smart enough to get the permission of the network before they made the donations.

Olbermann broke the rules, and he should man up.

( I really, really hate "but that's not FAIR!" whines.)

Agorism
11-06-2010, 01:27 AM
MSNBC is a private company. It is really none of our business who they choose to fire or why.

Why not? They provide the "news."

Nothing wrong with talking about their television personalities and their dramas. (There is a big difference between regulating something and just talking about something especially television personalities that people are talking about anyways.)

angelatc
11-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Why not? They provide the "news."

Nothing wrong with talking about their television personalities and their dramas. (There is a big difference between regulating something and just talking about something especially television personalities that people are talking about anyways.)

Olbermann doesn't even do news. AFAIK, he merely gives opinion.

Scarborough isn't a journalist. He's a lawyer-turned-politician-turned-talk-show-host.

If I owned MSNBC, I'd treat this like any other Human Resources issue, and not discuss my employees publicly.

Olbermann has issues with the boss that put him on leave . At one point last year, he made a public remark like, "he's the guy that thinks he is my boss." So now the lines are drawn a little clearer.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with talking about it, but Think Progress and Media Matters are known to lie. The title of this post is simply wrong because of their lack of concern with the truth.

Agorism
11-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Thinkprogress and media matters are great sites.

I was referring to MSNBC in general when I said they give us news. I don't see what's wrong for liberals calling for them to fire Scarborough and Kudlow for violating rules as well. If MSNBC management doesn't care what they think, that's fine too.

But there is nothing wrong with us talking about it.

angelatc
11-06-2010, 02:05 AM

You seriously believe that? They're the propaganda arm of the White House!

I just showed you two blatant lies and distortions, and all you can say is "they are great sites?" Seriously?

Agorism
11-06-2010, 02:06 AM
They seem very independent to me although I tend to read thinkprogress site way more often than media matters.

I normally look at thinkprogress at least a few times a week.

Inflation
11-06-2010, 05:40 AM
>Thinkprogress and media matters are great sites.

You seriously believe that? They're the propaganda arm of the White House!

MSDNC is also a propaganda arm of the White House. They suck at least as much as Thinkprogress and media matters, if not more.

Cowlesy
11-06-2010, 06:25 AM

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/AMNick2008/facepalm.jpg

Son of Detroit
11-06-2010, 07:41 AM

:confused::confused::confused:

AlexMerced
11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I suggest Olbermann, Sanchez, and Williams, all go make their own offbeat news channel of offbeat new peoples... it'll suck, but I'd be amuzed

Also, how about Libertarian channel focusing on economics and philosphy, that's where it's at