PDA

View Full Version : Chris Matthews had more nice things to say about Rand

StateofTrance
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697//vp/40033933#40033933

Skip to 2:36

"Rand Paul didn't need her backing. He's a really gutsy politician who says what he believes in.

Inkblots
11-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Yep. I have no doubt that Chris Matthews genuinely respects Rand Paul for taking principled philosophical stands on the issues.

ronaldo23
11-06-2010, 12:39 AM
He seems to be coming around. He has been ambivalent towards Rand though, so don't expect an ally in Chris. At the end of the primary he was saying good things about Rand, but at many times during the campaign he described Rand as far too extreme, and even declared a few weeks ago that he was confident Jack would win the election.

RonPaulCult
11-06-2010, 12:40 AM
I think your link may be the wrong link?

dead drunks dont dance
11-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Chrissy mathews bashed rand pretty hard after his acceptance speech so I take his comments as disingenuous.

MaxPower
11-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Remember, Matthews was once a Barry Goldwater supporter; he may have gone through an ideological transformation (and for the worse), but I think he does still have something of a soft spot in his heart for Goldwater and his philosophy, and he sees those things reborn in Rand Paul. Rand "takes him back," so to speak, and this prevents Matthews from maintaining the degree of hostility that the majority of these media pundits unleash towards him on a daily basis.

misconstrued
11-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Remember, Matthews was once a Barry Goldwater supporter; he may have gone through an ideological transformation (and for the worse), but I think he does still have something of a soft spot in his heart for Goldwater and his philosophy, and he sees those things reborn in Rand Paul. Rand "takes him back," so to speak, and this prevents Matthews from maintaining the degree of hostility that the majority of these media pundits unleash towards him on a daily basis.

Agreed.

sailingaway
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
He seems to be coming around. He has been ambivalent towards Rand though, so don't expect an ally in Chris. At the end of the primary he was saying good things about Rand, but at many times during the campaign he described Rand as far too extreme, and even declared a few weeks ago that he was confident Jack would win the election.

I don't think he is so much 'coming around' as he recognized Rand as a real Goldwater Republican, and was a Goldwater supporter in his youth. He doesn't try to spin Rand's positions to be something other than they are, recognizes idealism rather than the 'corporate cronyism' the other leftists try to paint Rand with, and is waiting to see what he does. I think he thinks principles are good, much as we think so when Kucinich or Grayson displayed them.

sailingaway
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
However, that was good to hear on the video. And thanks for the counter mark -- I really didn't want to listen through Obama.

Matt Collins
11-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Chrissy mathews bashed rand pretty hard after his acceptance speech so I take his comments as disingenuous.
NOT REALLY!

Start at 7:00 into it:
YouTube - Rand Paul Victory Speech & MSNBC panelists' view of what this means - 11/2/10 - MSNBC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCBUBPcalw&feature=player_embedded)

If you notice Chris doesn't really join in the pillow party that the other clowns on BSNBC give him.

DeadheadForPaul
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't think he is so much 'coming around' as he recognized Rand as a real Goldwater Republican, and was a Goldwater supporter in his youth. He doesn't try to spin Rand's positions to be something other than they are, recognizes idealism rather than the 'corporate cronyism' the other leftists try to paint Rand with, and is waiting to see what he does. I think he thinks principles are good, much as we think so when Kucinich or Grayson displayed them.

+1

I think it's definitely a mutual respect thing. I disagree with Kucinich 85% of the time, but I guarantee you that I could get along with him both in Congress and at a bar. Seems like a genuine guy. I would never say anything to bash him and would never distort his positions, but still respectfully disagree

I don't think Rand/Ron make Matthews' blood boil like the neo-cons do

jabf2006
11-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Chris Matthews is becoming one of the most tolerable talking heads on cable tv to listen to.

talkingpointes
11-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Fantastic op on Matthews. I sense he might be taken back a bit by the elections. He probably never though so hard until after the results were tallied.

Amongst the biggest items that annoy me when folks respond to "voting libertarian", is the fact that most people don't see them as winners and foremost leaders into the future. Rand has now disproved both points and in a margin usually reserved for the mainstream political vampires. Imagine a lot of Republicans have sort of switched ideology on the basis of realization that it lay outside the realm of possibility. Here is a guy with a connection to the principles tried and proven (his father), and now on the national stage with major expectations. Matthews is probably like the rest of us still thinking, "wait did this really happen". We didn't just vote in some wicker man with a bunch of talking points, we have voted in the son of the most principled congressman of our times and that is fucking scary. Imagine he gets into office and becomes an actual "Maverick" rather than what we have. This is going to shake shit up for years to come.

DeadheadForPaul
11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Fantastic op on Matthews. I sense he might be taken back a bit by the elections. He probably never though so hard until after the results were tallied.

Amongst the biggest items that annoy me when folks respond to "voting libertarian", is the fact that most people don't see them as winners and foremost leaders into the future. Rand has now disproved both points and in a margin usually reserved for the mainstream political vampires. Imagine a lot of Republicans have sort of switched ideology on the basis of realization that it lay outside the realm of possibility. Here is a guy with a connection to the principles tried and proven (his father), and now on the national stage with major expectations. Matthews is probably like the rest of us still thinking, "wait did this really happen". We didn't just vote in some wicker man with a bunch of talking points, we have voted in the son of the most principled congressman of our times and that is fucking scary. Imagine he gets into office and becomes an actual "Maverick" rather than what we have. This is going to shake shit up for years to come.

Exactly. This is monumental. We now have a liberty voice in the Senate.

You can ignore a lonely Congressman from Texas.

You cannot ignore a Senator. His voice will be our voice, and it will be heard on an international level.

One of the most frustrating things is that the MSM and career politicians don't even TALK about the important topics like monetary policy, the debt, interventionism, etc. The movement has already got politicians talking about the debt - that's tremendous!

By just having a liberty voice in the Senate, more of the American people will be exposed to our ideas. They will actually know what the 10th amendment is! I would be shocked if more than 1/4 of the American people could tell you what that is. They will soon

MaxPower
11-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Yes, assuming that Rand does do the right thing after taking office- I'm still a bit leery, given his evasiveness and hedging on issues towards slightly more "mainstream" positions during the campaign. I am certainly rooting for him, but I have doubts. So much of the future rests on the shoulders of Rand Paul right now; let us hope he brings some of his father's steel and moral courage to the Senate.

starless
11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Chris Matthews very nearly called Rand Paul "brilliant".

"Rand Paul [...] probably didn't need her backing, he is a bril... I mean in many ways he is a really gutsy pol who says what he believes, which is so rare in politics."

Imaginos
11-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Huh?
Chris praised Rand Paul as a genuine Goldwater guy who is honest in his political belief.
Chris' comment was not cynical but very respectful.

Matt Collins
11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I think it's definitely a mutual respect thing. I disagree with Kucinich 85% of the time, but I guarantee you that I could get along with him both in Congress and at a bar. Seems like a genuine guy. I would never say anything to bash him and would never distort his positions, but still respectfully disagreeI used to think the same thing until he flipped his heathcare vote after a ride on Air Force 1

rprprs
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Fantastic op on Matthews. I sense he might be taken back a bit by the elections. He probably never though so hard until after the results were tallied...<snip>
I wouldn't bet on that.
I think Matthews (unlike the Maddow types) has thought long and hard...for years.
Unfortunately, that process has brought him to embrace a progressive and liberal agenda to which he is, now, every bit as committed as is Rachel Maddow. The difference is that he is more readily able to accept that others have a world view which diverges from his own. Unlike Maddow, who, from day one, has been hermetically sealed in a cocoon of liberal armour, Matthews has undergone a metamorphisis. Maddow simply can't imagine how any rational person could espouse political conservatism. But with his own evolution (and maybe some worldly wisdom afforded by his age) Matthews can. But that's the extent of it, and chances of converting him, at this point, are no more likely to be successful than they would be for Maddow...perhaps less so.

sailingaway
11-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I used to think the same thing until he flipped his heathcare vote after a ride on Air Force 1

I didn't say he was as principled as Ron, but still more principled than others. I believe his price was the ability to debate the war, which they were granted in the House. Mind you, he came up with a price after being taken for a spin on Air force one.

dead drunks dont dance
11-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Chris Matthews is becoming one of the most tolerable talking heads on cable tv to listen to.

Uh, NO.

dead drunks dont dance
11-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Chris praised Rand Paul as a genuine Goldwater guy who is honest in his political belief.
Chris' comment was not cynical but very respectful.

You missed the part about repealing the civil rights act in those after speech comments? Chrissy attacked him at least 2 other times on ms-dnc about the same thing, saying what rand wants would make slavery legal again.

Time to wake up, dude.

S.Shorland
11-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe he could say:' My economic convictions are best described in the book 'Economics In One Lesson' and perhaps after you've read it,Chris,we can dissect it for the American people and they can follow along at home' (It's available for free in pdf format).Matthews has a good nose and I'm sure RP has a lot of currency with him.I think he's sincere and wants what's best for you there.RP should have dinner with him and maybe start to flesh something out. That great Tom Woods metaphor for why production is the key to prosperity can be found on his Mises youtube 'applying economics to american history'
YouTube - Applying Economics to American History | Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LJ3wZjD4I)

Philhelm
11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Chris Matthews very nearly called Rand Paul "brilliant".

"Rand Paul [...] probably didn't need her backing, he is a bril... I mean in many ways he is a really gutsy pol who says what he believes, which is so rare in politics."

Yes, I had caught that too, and am glad that someone else did too, and that it wasn't my ears deceiving me. It really did sound as though he was going to use the word brilliant to describe Rand Paul.

low preference guy
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes, I had caught that too, and am glad that someone else did too, and that it wasn't my ears deceiving me. It really did sound as though he was going to use the word brilliant to describe Rand Paul.

I believe Matthews' man crush on Rand Paul is going to become more open and unabashed as the months go by...

Philhelm
11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I believe Matthews' man crush on Rand Paul is going to be more open and unabashed as the months go by...

You may be right. There are so many instances of Chris Matthews saying good things about the Pauls.

1. When Ron Paul was on Hardball, Matthews had stated that he used to be a big Barry Goldwater supporter, and understands the whole libertarian thing, but that he had grown up.

2. Chris Matthews had slammed Jack Conway.

3. After the Conway interview, Chris Matthews had said that Rand Paul is a principled man, and that there is a debt problem so maybe a person like Rand would be a good thing.

4. During the discussion of Rand's victory speech, Matthews said nothing bad about Rand, and had even compared him to Barry Goldwater. Other than his initial comment, he said not a word more.

5. The video listed in this thread. I'm almost certain he was going to refer to Rand as brilliant.

Are there any other instances? There really should be a YouTube compilation if there already isn't one. Matthews is certainly no ally, but I think that it is becoming more and more clear that there is a part of him that gets excited about Rand Paul. I think he sincerely hates the Tea Party folks though, but differentiates them from Rand Paul. This situation is interesting, to say the least.

low preference guy
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Are there any other instances?

I can think of one more.

After trashing Rand the week of the CRA thing, he sort of took back his criticism during the "Let me finish" part of his show. He said Rand was more of a philosopher.

low preference guy
11-07-2010, 01:22 PM
There really should be a YouTube compilation if there already isn't one. Matthews is certainly no ally, but I think that it is becoming more and more clear that there is a part of him that gets excited about Rand Paul. I think he sincerely hates the Tea Party folks though, but differentiates them from Rand Paul. This situation is interesting, to say the least.

A good start would be to put all the videos in one place. So if anyone comes across them, post a link in this thread.

ctiger2
11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I believe Matthews' man crush on Rand Paul is going to become more open and unabashed as the months go by...

I agree. If you watch all the videos with Chris and Ron you can sense the admiration of Ron. Chris seems to have this same fascination with Rand. All in all Chris respects the Paul's because they are very principled and don't lie. Rand is going to wreak havoc on the Senate like nobody understands right now. Rand is not going to back down.