PDA

View Full Version : What about Running Tea Party Dems in liberal areas?

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Other than Nancy Pelosi's area, maybe we should try to get our own Ron Paul people to run as Tea Party minded dems for the primaries in extremely liberal areas like Massachussits, etc.

Thus promoting liberty and a strong constitution in every party. I think it's a noble idea.

james1906
11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Democrats don't even want to pretend they like liberty.

Elwar
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
That's how one of the first Free Staters got elected in NH during the Democrat sweep.

If the Republicans go too extreme the next two years, don't be surprised by a swing back to the Dems in 2012. People are fickle that way.

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
That's how one of the first Free Staters got elected in NH during the Democrat sweep.

If the Republicans go too extreme the next two years, don't be surprised by a swing back to the Dems in 2012. People are fickle that way.

So it's a workable idea then. We run Ron Paul republicans, er I mean democrats in those very liberal areas and we possibly win either way. So maybe we can make a sub-forum where people want to try this?

Nate-ForLiberty
11-05-2010, 11:05 PM
We need to run anti-war democrats. that is the way to do it. people will listen to someone who wants to bring the troops home.

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I just spent every week of the last YEAR working on the John Dennis campaign. And as I sit here, looking at our result of 14.8% against Pelosi, I find myself wondering the same thing.

John made it a point during his campaign that we are trying to get past the left/right, two-party bullshit system. And you know what - yes he was saying it because he was REPUBLICAN running as a democrat. But you know what? He actually means it too. What is party affiliation these days?

Ron Paul wouldn't be a Republican if third parties had a realistic chance.

Our movement has learned from past mistakes and we need to KEEP leaning. If you have abitions to run for local, state or national office, consider which party dominates you local scene. Join that party and start building your connections. Stay true to who you are and it shouldn't matter which party you belong too.

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Our local Ron Paul meetup types in San Francisco knew for years that John had the look and the background and the knowledge to be a great politician. We picked him to be our "guy" to run. But he has been a registered Republican for 20 years.

The idea of switching him to a Dem wouldn't have worked.

So like I was saying, if you are looking to run years from now, switch over now and start being a part of local party politics now.

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Larry McDonald was a Constitutional Democrat! I would like to see more of those.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories/History/larrymcdonald.001.jpg (http://www.thenewamerican.com/history/world/270-kal-flight-007-remembered)
Ron Paul: "[Larry McDonald] was the most principled man in Congress."
- The Philadelphia Inquirer

Ron Paul on Congressman Larry McDonald (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_McDonald), the President of the John Birch Society (http://www.jbs.org/).

Ron Paul went to Congressman Larry McDonald, a Democrat, for advice on running for Congress. McDonald said, "Run in the party you think you can WIN because political parties are irrelevant." This made Ron Paul become a Republican.

Ron Paul explains:
YouTube - Ron Paul on Larry McDonald (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQ--ju7Vxk)

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Our local Ron Paul meetup types in San Francisco knew for years that John had the look and the background and the knowledge to be a great politician. We picked him to be our "guy" to run. But he has been a registered Republican for 20 years.

The idea of switching him to a Dem wouldn't have worked.

So like I was saying, if you are looking to run years from now, switch over now and start being a part of local party politics now.

Didn't I get through saying OTHER THAN pelosi's district? Anyone that strong will have no chance to beat her. I'm talking about in other areas. OTHER THAN pelosi's

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
We need to run anti-war democrats. that is the way to do it. people will listen to someone who wants to bring the troops home.

I agree and we need to try to get liberty candidates on both sides if possible. I guess it all depends on how strong the person we are going against is in each party.

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Didn't I get through saying OTHER THAN pelosi's district? Anyone that strong will have no chance to beat her. I'm talking about in other areas. OTHER THAN pelosi's

You, like most people, don't understand Pelosi's district. A Democrat could beat her. Most people hate her here. If John had run a different, better campaign he could have defeated her - even as a Republican.

Anyway - I was talking in general terms so lose the attitude.

malkusm
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I just spent every week of the last YEAR working on the John Dennis campaign. And as I sit here, looking at our result of 14.8% against Pelosi, I find myself wondering the same thing.

John made it a point during his campaign that we are trying to get past the left/right, two-party bullshit system. And you know what - yes he was saying it because he was REPUBLICAN running as a democrat. But you know what? He actually means it too. What is party affiliation these days?

Our movement has learned from past mistakes and we need to KEEP leaning. If you have abitions to run for local, state or national office, consider which party dominates you local scene. Join that party and start building your connections. Stay true to who you are and it shouldn't matter which party you belong too.

+ rep for you, sir! :)

TCE
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Exactly. In California, Illinois, Maine, etc, run in Democratic districts as a Democrat, especially if it's an Open Seat race. Take a couple of ideas from John Dennis's platform, and shut the F up about the conservative views on the economy. When you get into Congress/State Legislature, it won't matter since people just vote for parties most of the time.

TCE
11-05-2010, 11:32 PM
You, like most people, don't understand Pelosi's district. A Democrat could beat her. Most people hate her here. If John had run a different, better campaign he could have defeated her - even as a Republican.

Anyway - I was talking in general terms so lose the attitude.

I don't think a Republican can ever beat her. There are 60,000 people out there who will vote for whatever (D) appears on the ballot, which is enough in her district to keep her there until she dies or retires.

John raised $2 million, which is a ton for a House race where a candidate has no chance. He was close to spending with Pelosi and still couldn't even crack 20%. Justin Raimondo got 22,000 votes when he ran. A Republican cannot win against Pelosi in that district, period.

http://cgi.cnn.com/ELECTION/CA08house.html

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Thank you for trying. So are you giving it another go in the next few years against Pelosi?

I meant we should run AS DEMOCRATS(as well), in places where they don't have god-like power such as Pelosi.

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't think a Republican can ever beat her. There are 60,000 people out there who will vote for whatever (D) appears on the ballot, which is enough in her district to keep her there until she dies or retires.

John raised $2 million, which is a ton for a House race where a candidate has no chance. He was close to spending with Pelosi and still couldn't even crack 20%. Justin Raimondo got 22,000 votes when he ran. A Republican cannot win against Pelosi in that district, period.

http://cgi.cnn.com/ELECTION/CA08house.html

John didn't have 2 million to spend on the election. That's not how political fundraising works. Because of some f'd up problems that I won't get into right now - his voter outreach didn't begin until about a month before the election.

Don't look at the results of our race and think it was the district demographics alone that caused us to lose and to lose so badly. There's a lot more to the story. And I'm not saying it would be easy, but I will stand by my statement. It could be done. John's campaign didn't do the things that were necessary to win. They took the wrong approach, and failed.

Someday I might write and share the inside story of that entire campaign and everything we learned and everything we did right and everything we did wrong. It was an amazing learning experience for us (another reason why it does sometimes make sense for liberty candidates to run when they "can't" win).

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank you for trying. So are you giving it another go in the next few years against Pelosi?

I meant we should run AS DEMOCRATS(as well), in places where they don't have god-like power such as Pelosi.

That's up to John.

I think we generally share the same idea. Here's how I think liberty candidates should go about it. Timing is everything:

1) Figure out which party dominates in your district. If one strongly dominates over the other, join the party that dominates

2) Wait until the incumbent retires

3) Run in the primary, use local liberty minded people to help you canvass and phonebank and raise money. Work together and you can win!

4) Only run on the issues that you BOTH believe in and know will be popular with the voters

5) Avoid saying the issues that won't be so popular (the Rand Paul approach)

6) Win your primary and have an excellent chance of winning the election because you are the nominee of the party that dominates in the district

Easier said than done. We should try to get as many of us into state office as possible first.

TCE
11-05-2010, 11:52 PM
John didn't have 2 million to spend on the election. That's not how political fundraising works. Because of some f'd up problems that I won't get into right now - his voter outreach didn't begin until about a month before the election.

Don't look at the results of our race and think it was the district demographics alone that caused us to lose and to lose so badly. There's a lot more to the story. And I'm not saying it would be easy, but I will stand by my statement. It could be done. John's campaign didn't do the things that were necessary to win. They took the wrong approach, and failed.

Someday I might write and share the inside story of that entire campaign and everything we learned and everything we did right and everything we did wrong. It was an amazing learning experience for us (another reason why it does sometimes make sense for liberty candidates to run when they "can't" win).

If you can, I'd recommend posting it in HT or something, as that stuff can be very helpful to someone considering running for a political office. I am going to request the same thing from Gunny. Basically: what worked, what didn't, what would you have done differently? etc.

dead drunks dont dance
11-06-2010, 12:04 AM
That's up to John.

I think we generally share the same idea. Here's how I think liberty candidates should go about it. Timing is everything:

1) Figure out which party dominates in your district. If one strongly dominates over the other, join the party that dominates

2) Wait until the incumbent retires

3) Run in the primary, use local liberty minded people to help you canvass and phonebank and raise money. Work together and you can win!

4) Only run on the issues that you BOTH believe in and know will be popular with the voters

5) Avoid saying the issues that won't be so popular (the Rand Paul approach)

6) Win your primary and have an excellent chance of winning the election because you are the nominee of the party that dominates in the district

Easier said than done. We should try to get as many of us into state office as possible first.

Well Fucking A, let's do it?

Who's with me? Who's going to run?? Massachussits, California, Illinois, etc.

RonPaulCult
11-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Well Fucking A, let's do it?

Who's with me? Who's going to run?? Massachussits, California, Illinois, etc.

I'm with you. I just need to settle down someplace first. I tend to move every few years or so - not good when you are trying to build a relationship with a community. I encourage all Liberty Patriots to either run or work hard for a local liberty candidate as IF they are running themselves.

Part of the reason that John got the amazing attention that he did, and the reason that he won his primary (when so many liberty candidates do not) is because he had a handful of EXTREMELY dedicated people working just about daily to help him win - as if it were their own campaign. That is a powerful took that any opponents will not be likely to have - and it's almost impossible to overcome.

CaseyJones
11-06-2010, 01:30 PM
anti-incremental-ism FTW become Dems now the pendulum will swing the other way!

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 01:52 PM
What would a Ron Paul Democrat look like?

Howard_Roark
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Other than Nancy Pelosi's area, maybe we should try to get our own Ron Paul people to run as Tea Party minded dems for the primaries in extremely liberal areas like Massachussits, etc.

Thus promoting liberty and a strong constitution in every party. I think it's a noble idea.

Tea Party Dems? Is that a joke? Democratic party = big government, high spending. Tea Party is the conservative wing of the Republican party.

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Tea Party Dems? Is that a joke? Democratic party = big government, high spending. Tea Party is the conservative wing of the Republican party.
Larry McDonald was a Democrat.

Ron Paul on Larry McDonald: "He was the most principled man in Congress."

Monarchist
11-06-2010, 02:08 PM

There was a so-called Tea Party Democrat running for a freeholder seat in my county. I read an interview with him in a local paper and was very impressed, so I voted for him.

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 02:10 PM
There was a so-called Tea Party Democrat running for a freeholder seat in my county. I read an interview with him in a local paper and was very impressed, so I voted for him.
Correct. Rs and Ds mean nothing: Are they Constitutional is the question.

angelatc
11-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Run as precinct delegates: a lot of those seats were empty this time around, leaving the party leaders to make appointments.

amy31416
11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.bobconleyforsenate.com/images/Bob_Conley.jpg

After Bob Conley beat Cone in the primary he went on to compete against incumbent Republican senator Lindsey Graham. Conley's campaign followed his mantra of fiscal conservatism spending only $15,202 for 42.25% of the vote on November 5 to Graham's $6,596,229 for 57.53%.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Conley

Jordan
11-06-2010, 02:17 PM
10 R & 10 D Senate seats = We control the Senate all the time.

40 R & 40 D Hosue seats = We control the House all the time.

JamesButabi
11-06-2010, 02:17 PM
It would certainly be tough as there aren't too many political figures who have paved the way.

Who will be the first? I can think of a few popular dem issues: Supremely Anti War, Support of easier immigration regulations, Anti Drug War.

freedomdemocrats.com proposes democrats with an agenda of personal liberty, economic liberty, limited government, and social responsibility.

paulitics
11-06-2010, 02:53 PM
We run in the party we think we can win. The next election cycle we should run fiscally conservative, anti war, and pro civil liberties democrats. We may actually do better running as Ds next time around.

Imagine a couple of Ron Paul democrats in the house could have absolutely caused Obamacare to come to a screeching halt.

There will be bipartisanship in the favor of small government and liberty if we have allies on both sides.

FrankRep
11-06-2010, 02:56 PM
The New Democrat - Pro-Life, Pro-Second Amendment, Fiscally Conservative
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267622

amy31416
11-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Neocons infest both parties, we could learn a few strategic things from them--so long as it doesn't involve losing our principles.

GunnyFreedom
11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Seriously, either 2012 or 2014 will be a demwave. Stocking up on Constitutionalists in the Dems NOW will be hugely beneficial to our movement - but if you go this route, bear in mind you will be starting from ground zero.

Major_C_Natural
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
In my opinion, being socially conservative, a major component of the Tea Party, turns off many Democrats from learning more about the liberty movement. We need more pro-life and pro-gay candidates.

To convert Democrats to become economically and fiscally conservative, invoke the name of Bill Clinton. He deregulated and balanced budgets.

speciallyblend
11-06-2010, 07:09 PM

fully understand the lack of trust with republicans! they brought it on themselves! the brandname kinda sucks!

cindy25
11-06-2010, 07:21 PM
you could run the same people but in the Dem primary.

John Dennis, without changing 1 position, would be viable as a well funded anti-war Democrat.

Ron Paul's Texas district is not anti-war; they vote for Ron based on other issues.

dead drunks dont dance
11-07-2010, 02:59 AM
I think being pro-gay, pro-choice(or not caring either way, letting the law of the land stand), anti-war, fiscally conservative(but not taking away programs that people need to live on, but letting younger people opt out it they want), would be the way to go.

But waivering on illegal aliens and easing immigration is an epic fail, especially now imo. I know many people in frisco that are democrats and even they aren't too fond of illegals but they are very pro-gay, pro choice, etc.

My biggest issue that i'd never waiver on is immigration. I think if pubs chilled the fuck out on not being pro choice, and pro-gay, they'd be a much much larger party than they are. Essentially we need to make the democrats that mainly hold those issues close to them see that a lot of pubs really aren't anti-those issues. Because i'm defnitly not.