PDA

View Full Version : Why is the northeast so liberal and Texas so conservative?

Howard_Roark
11-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Having lived in both Texas and the northeast, this is something that puzzles me. If you look at political donations, the elite (ie big money donors) of Texas are ultra conservative while the elite of the northeast are uber liberals. Why?

wormyguy
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hmm . . . I know Connecticut donors favor the GOP.

Howard_Roark
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hmm . . . I know Connecticut donors favor the GOP.

Conneticut is hardcore liberal, where would you get the idea it isn't?

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
No. New Hampshire is the best State in this country when it comes to liberty -- by far. Guess where they are located? NorthEast. Twelve FSP just got elected this year, and over 120 NHLA endorsed candidates (I am assuming they are much more liberty-oriented than 90% of the GOP in Texas) won, not to mention a few homeschool group endorsed candidates won. If you are a libertarian then New Hampshire is obviously the place to be -- it is the epicenter of the liberty movement in this country. You have it all in NH. You have the awesome Keeniacs doing their thing. You have NHLA. You have FSP. You have Free Talk Live, Ridley Report, etc. etc. You have many yearly liberty forums with thousands and thousands of people, etc. NO BETTER PLACE TO BE! :p

Kludge
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Why are there more Baptists in the SouthEast than the NorthWest? I'm guessing heritage and culture has more to do with it than Baptists in other states wondering where the best state to live in would be. Many people reside in their home-town all their life.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2010, 09:24 PM
No. New Hampshire is the best State in this country when it comes to liberty -- by far. Guess where they are located? NorthEast. Twelve FSP just got elected this year, and over 120 NHLA endorsed candidates (I am assuming they are much more liberty-oriented than 90% of the GOP in Texas) won, not to mention a few homeschool group endorsed candidates won. If you are a libertarian then New Hampshire is obviously the place to be -- it is the epicenter of the liberty movement in this country. You have it all in NH. You have the awesome Keeniacs doing their thing. You have NHLA. You have FSP. You have Free Talk Live, Ridley Report, etc. etc. You have many yearly liberty forums with thousands and thousands of people, etc. NO BETTER PLACE TO BE! :p

Not to mention the most beautiful scenery in the country.

FSP-Rebel
11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Not to mention the most beautiful scenery in the country.
yup

Bergie Bergeron
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Blame Canada for most of the Northeast.

RonPaulCult
11-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Big cities versus country.

The northeast is a metropolitan area that never ends (the liberal parts anyway). When you live so close together, the problems of others blur into one and their problems become your problems. The interconnectedness of it all - the idea that you have to help one another because otherwise you are just hurting yourself. I get it.

In the country it's an opposite thing. Your land - your property - self-reliance. You, your family, what's yours is yours.

VaderM5
11-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Western and upstate NY is conservative, and New Jersey has pockets of conservatism in places. In Texas most of our liberalism is either in the cities or near Austin.

cooker263
11-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Culture, demographics, population density. Best example is New York State vs. New York City. Upstate NY is conservative (minus Ithaca/Albany). It's pretty spread out, tons of farms - yet because of the city, all state residents pay 8% sales tax, high income taxes, handgun restrictions, etc.

People up here joke about how NYC should be its own state because upstate NY subsidizes the city/long island and has to inherit their policies that don't really make sense for upstate. I think it's less of a joke to them now...

Bman
11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Big cities versus country.

The northeast is a metropolitan area that never ends (the liberal parts anyway). When you live so close together, the problems of others blur into one and their problems become your problems. The interconnectedness of it all - the idea that you have to help one another because otherwise you are just hurting yourself. I get it.

In the country it's an opposite thing. Your land - your property - self-reliance. You, your family, what's yours is yours.

The countryside in those states is pretty conservative, the cities are ultra liberal. The state often goes blue because so much of the population of the state lives in the cities.

dead drunks dont dance
11-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Having lived in both Texas and the northeast, this is something that puzzles me. If you look at political donations, the elite (ie big money donors) of Texas are ultra conservative while the elite of the northeast are uber liberals. Why?

Because the north east is less intelligent. Don't tell hollywood though.

Akus
11-06-2010, 12:01 AM

Texas is conservative, because it's a part of the South. The whole white South is conservative is because a Liberal LBJ signed a Civil Rights act, something that, after 100 years since slavery Amendment, finally made black hundred percent human beings, so the Democratic (Dixiecratic) whites switched over to the Republicans.

Same reason why overwhelmingly most blacks vote Democrat.

As far as the North "Yankee" land? I'm guessing they're left because of a lot of intelligencia up there was influenced by European economic and social views such as Marxism, which was novel at the time and it just took a hold since then. I could be completely wrong though....

dead drunks dont dance
11-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah it was those "intelligencia" up their.

The Karl Marx influence for sure.