PDA

View Full Version : Who would vote for Ron Paul for Speaker of the House?

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
This is probably a pipe dream but so was Audit the Fed at some point. As long as we hold their feet to the fire, we can get things done.

Let's make a list of current or new representatives that would vote for Ron Paul as Speaker.

Possible:

-Justin Amash
-John Duncan
-Walter Jones
-Dana Rohrbacher

Additions:
-Jason Chaffetz
-Mick Mulvaney
-Jeff Flake

Any others? Also, if anyone has good reason to dispute the above, I'll amend the list. This is by no means a sure thing. Remember, Boehner has a 29% approval rating, so it's not necessarily a sure thing he wins. We can mount a campaign from the grassroots. Who wants to start RonForSpeaker.com?

torchbearer
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM
yeah, he wouldn't have the votes at all.

Elwar
I would.

t0rnado
Jason Chaffetz
Mick Mulvaney
Jeff Flake

Kotin
29% approval rating from the public, not congress.. Boehner will win.

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
29% approval rating from the public, not congress.. Boehner will win.

Understood. But even Democrats in the House are running from Pelosi and her ~20% approval rating.

Kotin
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Understood. But even Democrats in the House are running from Pelosi and her ~20% approval rating.

Yeah..

It's a great prospect, but not likely at the moment.. We should be happy that Ron Paul will be chairman of the sub-committee on monetary policy.. It's something he has been trying to do for a while now..

sratiug
11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Can Democrats vote?

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Can Democrats vote?

Yep. Usually they vote along party lines, though.

Daamien
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I think it will be more interesting to see who Ron will actually vote for, if he votes at all.

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I think it will be more interesting to see who Ron will actually vote for, if he votes at all.

Are votes made public?

nobody's_hero
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Walter Jones would be most likely out of those choices, I think. Taking into account some sense of seniority that might have the slightest chance of being respected by those who have been in there since before 2010.

(If Ron can't be speaker, of course)

wormyguy
11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Bachmann?

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Bump. If some of you are to believed, it is impossible to get Ron to be Speaker of the House, but we expect him to be elected President in 2012? I'm unsure why the former is somehow more of a stretch than the latter. At worst, a push for him to become Speaker could only spread his name and increase recognition.

tremendoustie
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Bump. If some of you are to believed, it is impossible to get Ron to be Speaker of the House, but we expect him to be elected President in 2012? I'm unsure why the former is somehow more of a stretch than the latter. At worst, a push for him to become Speaker could only spread his name and increase recognition.

I agree that an effort could be good, for publicity. I think the presidency is actually more possible, though, since it'd be average people voting, rather than politicians.

nobody's_hero
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

That's precisely the reason it won't happen. They don't want Ron to have any name-recognition before 2012.

Having said that, yes, I think it is worth a try (nothing to lose, anyway). Unfortunately, I live in a democrat district so there's nothing I could do except flood other districts' U.S. rep's offices with calls, which they probably will not heed since I am not a constituent (or rich).

Kregisen
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Jeff Flake is my representative. I could contact him if we were all-in on this.

wormyguy
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I can't really see a path to victory as speaker - I suppose if every Democrat voted for him* (because they think he would be an electoral drag on the Republicans if he won - probably true given Buck/Miller/Angle), and he could get c. 35 Republicans to vote for him, then he'd have a majority.

*If you're serious, contact the DNC/Democratic leadership about this. Bonus points if you pretend to be a lefty, but act reasonable (i.e. write something legible and coherent).

nobody's_hero
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I guess we could spam GOP.com?