PDA

View Full Version : Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay (Breaking NBC Rules)

MRoCkEd
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/keith-olbermann-suspended_n_779586.html

MSNBC president Phil Griffin released the following statement Friday following the news that Keith Olbermann had donated to three Democratic candidates this election cycle:

I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

Olbermann contributed to the campaign of Jack Conway, among others.

sluggo
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
haha

nate895
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Finally. That dude was a bigger blowhard than O'Reilly. That's hard to do.

liberalnurse
11-05-2010, 11:50 AM
SWEET!!!!! Karma's a bitch. It's not nice to mess with Aqua Buddah

Andrew-Austin
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
YouTube - Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)

dannno
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbfMvJ7-5ACzhBuxA0yJ2IhZ3ZPpWcezWFsqhftM7f_rD8hss&t=1&usg=__2CKDxDZGLY7FBFPGL4Jf88djZjo=

Theocrat
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
What's wrong with Olbermann donating to political candidates? I'm sure the media pundits over at FOX News donate to Republican candidates all the time. So, what gives?

By the way, I don't like Keith Olbermann's journalistic style nor his political positions, but this just doesn't seem right, to me.

Cowlesy
11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm waiting for CNN to pick him up within a few days if he doesn't stay with NBC.

Ekrub
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
It's NBC's policy. Within their right to fire/suspend him, and it's a good policy if you ask me.

nate895
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
What's wrong with Olbermann donating to political candidates? I'm sure the media pundits over at FOX News donate to Republican candidates all the time. So, what gives?

By the way, I don't like Keith Olbermann's journalistic style nor his political positions, but this just doesn't seem right, to me.

NBC forbids "journalists" from appearing "biased," which includes a provision to not donate to political candidates.

HOLLYWOOD
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh but it's okay for MSDNC to spend Millions flying their TV hacks around the country in promoting the democratic candidates and Democratic Party. $10's if not, $100's of millions in FREE PR coverage.

Pretty Hypocritical of NBC...

PS: Oh Olbermann will apologize in a beautifully written script in sympathy and guilt... tomorrow, business as usual.

PSS: Maybe they looked closer at the ratings... ;)

torchbearer
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM

the policy of the company he works for forbids political donations because it is definitive proof of a biased talking head.
if he donates to jack, and then promotes him on his show- NBC could get in trouble for not filing with the fec for the inkind contribution of its air time to promote a specific candidate.

dean.engelhardt
11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
nbc forbids "journalists" from appearing "biased," which includes a provision to not donate to political candidates.

rofl

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
About Time!

squarepusher
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Randslide!!!

LudwigVonMisoSoup
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Two pages and no one mentions that one of the candidates Olbermann donated to was Jack Conway? No wonder the collective staff of MSNBC threw a shit fit after Paul's speech.

Theocrat
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
NBC forbids "journalists" from appearing "biased," which includes a provision to not donate to political candidates.

the policy of the company he works for forbids political donations because it is definitive proof of a biased talking head.
if he donates to jack, and then promotes him on his show- NBC could get in trouble for not filing with the fec for the inkind contribution of its air time to promote a specific candidate.

That makes more sense now.

specsaregood
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Excellent point. How much does airtime on Olbermann's show cost?
Perhaps an FEC complaint should be made and force them to file for that inkind contribution.

akforme
Past being funny, I really don't care. It's kinda ironic that they have this stance when all they do is contribute to politicians for favors for GE.

pahs1994
lol is this supposed to be a surprise that he is bias towards democrats? just watching him on election night talk over all the republican victory speechs with his stupid little commets was enough to make me want to puke. i hope he gets a job cleaning toilets at taco bell

sluggo
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Does this mean that Rachel Maddow guy is getting his time slot?

eOs
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Olbermann is a douche and if he worked for my company I'd want him fired too. With that said, I'm positive you could get any one of these talking heads fired for appearing biased, which leads me to believe this was more of a personal vendetta than anything else. I remember Ol' Papa Bear saying something about the Comcast takeover of NBC and how they want to get all of these progressives off of the lineup. Wonder if that has anything to do with it..

BenIsForRon
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Olbermann should have disclosed at least once on his show that he donated to Jack Conway, especially before he interviewed Conway or talked about the race. Whenever there is a potential conflict of interest, any journalist/analyst is supposed to come clean to the audience.

So I support this suspension.

Mini-Me
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM

This is a strange thread to post in after a week's absence or so, but...
Contracts aside, I generally think it's rude and presumptuous when employers try to monitor, control, etc. your actions outside of work. In most cases, it bears little to no relevance to their job or the company's reputation. It's especially galling in our current economy, since major corporations are dominant (and therefore have leverage when contracting) largely thanks to government intervention instead of free market competition.

From the way it sounds, Olbermann's donations were considered an ethics issue for his position as a "journalist." Because of that, I would understand MSNBC's position...if he were actually a journalist! The problem is, I don't think he's ever even pretended to be a journalist. The entire point of his job is to be an opinionated progressive liberal pundit/demagogue. The idea that his donations create a conflict of interests or somehow compromise his "neutrality" - a concept entirely alien to the pundit position - is totally absurd! If it's an FEC issue, that makes sense legally, but I've never been one to call the law sane either.

Long story short: I agree with Theocrat (<shocked silence>). I may think Olbermann is a gigantic douche, and he may have violated MSNBC's policy, but MSNBC's policy here is completely two-faced and dishonest. It also leads me to agree with eOs that he was specifically targeted.

squarepusher
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Olbermann is a douche and if he worked for my company I'd want him fired too. With that said, I'm positive you could get any one of these talking heads fired for appearing biased, which leads me to believe this was more of a personal vendetta than anything else. I remember Ol' Papa Bear saying something about the Comcast takeover of NBC and how they want to get all of these progressives off of the lineup. Wonder if that has anything to do with it..

i have to agree here. Seems like hes targeted, maybe taking out the old trash

JoshLowry
11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night.Right...

With that said, I'm positive you could get any one of these talking heads fired for appearing biased, which leads me to believe this was more of a personal vendetta than anything else.

+1

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
SWEET!!!!! Karma's a bitch. It's not nice to mess with Aqua Buddah

Indeedy! Too bad, so sad Olbie.

Clairvoyant
11-05-2010, 12:14 PM
drama lol

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Drudge Report:

Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/05/olbermann-donated-to-three-dems-in-apparent-violation-of-nbc-policy/

fletcher
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
The girls at DU are throwing a fit. Too funny.

Anyone know what It's like to live in Costa Rica?
I need a new country to move to.

Hahahahaha.

lester1/2jr
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
well they had to do this or a right wing group would find out that he did it and make a show of it.

this is nipping it in the bud

Theocrat
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Drudge Report:

Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/05/olbermann-donated-to-three-dems-in-apparent-violation-of-nbc-policy/

In light of that article, Keith Olbermann should have known better.

http://www.thedailyrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/olbermann_display.jpg

Here is some exiting music for you, Keith:

YouTube - Soviet National Anthem(With Lyrics) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDrtNEr_5M)

Ninja Homer
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Some of the HuffPo comments are pretty funny too. This is the most entertaining week I've had in a long time (on the net anyway).

Johnnybags
11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
msnbc as we know is going away!

Ninja Homer
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Some of the HuffPo comments are pretty funny too. This is the most entertaining week I've had in a long time (on the net anyway).

Best so far:

"that sucks and is so not fair!
i thought we lived in a free country.
i wonder what the supreme court would have to say about this. "

Original_Intent
11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe his boss is now the worst person in the world?!? :D

LibertyBrews
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
ROFL, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

torchbearer
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/snud/cartman_tears.gif

Matt Collins
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
After his comments about Rand following his victory speech, he deserved it:

YouTube - Rand Paul Victory Speech & MSNBC panelists' view of what this means - 11/2/10 - MSNBC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCBUBPcalw&feature=player_embedded)

Cowlesy
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
msnbc as we know is going away!

A lot of truth to that. With Comcast owning NBC now, I think changes are coming.

Condor Bastadon
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Fox should hire Keith and make him the new Alan Colmes. Maybe even sit him beside Hannity. He would be so miserable.

torchbearer
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Fox should hire Keith and make him the new Alan Colmes. Maybe even sit him beside Hannity. He would be so miserable.

+1

hugolp
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I dont know if anyone has linked to economic policy journal: http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2010/11/murphy-passes-50000-mark.html

I was thinking that they were using it to get rid of him because maybe his contract was too high for the ratings, but it seems also there might be a change in political opinions of the network.

jtstellar
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
olbermann was trying to dodge that last one piece of mud from the Randslide as it came down..

and failed.

nate895
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Problem: Olbermann would beat Hannity.

Ninja Homer
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Just some wishful thinking, but I think it would be pretty awesome and help our cause a lot if The Judge took KO's spot.

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Just some wishful thinking, but I think it would be pretty awesome and help our cause a lot if The Judge took KO's spot.

Hell no. Fox News needs Judge Napolitano's influence.

Zatch
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
after his comments about rand following his victory speech, he deserved it:

Aqua Buddha akbar!!

lester1/2jr
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
this rule seems really dumb. You CAN make political contributions but you have to notify them?

So he like forgot to tell them? What is the purpose of the rule I wonder

furface
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
this rule seems really dumb. You CAN make political contributions but you have to notify them?

So he like forgot to tell them? What is the purpose of the rule I wonder

I believe the rule is to get approval, not just notify them.

I'm glad Olbermann was suspended. I couldn't watch MSNBC on election night because of him. I kept screaming at the TV because of all his idiotic comments and unsound reasoning.

lester1/2jr
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
apparently MSNBC is not even subject to this policy

http://gawker.com/5682789/nbc-news-source-our-rules-dont-apply-to-olbermann-and-msnbc

NBC News rules explicitly bar employees from making political donations without prior approval, which is ostensibly why Griffin suspended Olbermann. But according to one NBC News insider, it's common knowledge within the organization that MSNBC's increasingly left-wing programming and personalities aren't required to abide by NBC News' exacting rules—if they were, it would be a much less bombastic and politically charged network. So while Olbermann's donations may have run counter to the NBC News brand and Griffin's wishes, there doesn't appear to be a chapter-and-verse policy applying to MSNBC employees barring them.

"The standards department has told us that MSNBC doesn't answer to NBC News standards," the insider said. "They don't have coverage over MSNBC. They used to, back before MSNBC went political, but at some point it became too hard and MSNBC was taken out of their portfolio. As far as I know, there are no ethical standards at MSNBC. And if NBC says MSNBC is supposed to be living up to the NBC News standards, that's a preposterous lie."

hillertexas
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
aqua buddha akbar!!

lol

torchbearer
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
after this week, i'm a believer in aqua buddha.

Modern_Matthew
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm certainly not going to waste my time defending Olbermann.

Even if MSNBC is in the wrong. He's a belligerent fool and deserves no career as a political commentator.

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm certainly not going to waste my time defending Olbermann.

Even if MSNBC is in the wrong. He's a belligerent fool and deserves no career as a political commentator.

MSNBC is wrong to enforce it's own policies?

Esor
11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
MSNBC is wrong to enforce it's own policies?

I'm going to take a guess...

yes??

oh wait, was that the wrong answer? I meant to say no! Right?

Anti Federalist
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Since this was already used:

YouTube - Nelson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)

I'll have to settle for this:

YouTube - 32 D'oh's in 15 Seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GuEswXOXo&NR=1)

libertarian4321
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Does this mean that Rachel Maddow guy is getting his time slot?

Two hours of Maddow? Damn, that would make even the most hardcore Berkeley leftist cringe...

VBRonPaulFan
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
unless the political environment of msnbc is really changing like a few people have mentioned, i think they did this just to air out the dirty laundry before anyone else did. he'll be back after a week or two when it blows over.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
While I'm taking part in some guilty Schadenfreude over this, I have a little bit of an issue with this.

I'm always uncomfortable with a company restricting vital rights and freedoms.

oyarde
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Guess they have never enforced the biased thing.

KurtBoyer25L
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Why don't they just keep him and lie about it, they lie about everything else.

oyarde
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Colmes actually pulled that off well , but he is civilized and potty trained , not too sure about Keith .

tpreitzel
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Past being funny, I really don't care. It's kinda ironic that they have this stance when all they do is contribute to politicians for favors for GE.

Didn't GE sell it's stake in NBC?

oyarde
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Didn't GE sell it's stake in NBC?

I think Satan owns them both .

nobody's_hero
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I just think it's funny that NBC has this policy for the sake of trying to maintain some semblance of 'journalistic neutrality'.

Anyone who thinks that Olbermann isn't slanted must be lying sideways on the ground.

The man has an agenda. He put his money where his mouth was. Seems like he might as well be open about it. :rolleyes:

I still can't stand to watch his show, though.

Batman
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Hannity has gone one the air saying he donates to political candidates. Why pick on Olberfuhrer?

nobody's_hero
11-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Hannity has gone one the air saying he donates to political candidates. Why pick on Olberfuhrer?

Fox News has always been biased. Apparently, they just don't have a feel-good policy in place to protect a 'journalistic neutrality' that has never existed.

The bad thing (or good thing, if you're Andrew Napolitano), is that as a news commentator for an MSM network, you can offer far more support just by mentioning a candidate's name during a national broadcast than to spend $2,400 on their campaign. Why Keith Olbermann even wanted to risk it is beyond me, but I'm glad he did. I needed a break from his racial-slur spewing nonsense.

UtahApocalypse
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
So Keith, do you understand the meaning of 'blowback' yet?

agitator
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM

OMG! Batman has now joined the forum!!

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Didn't they used to call him Crazy Joe? :D

Anyway, yea, sucks for Olbie's freedom of speech, but the pigfucker deserved it for selling out the Anti-War Left and basically becoming Obama's blowjob buddy. In fact, old Olbie should go work for The White House as their Press Secretary. That would be a hoot.

HOLLYWOOD
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_orkXxp0bhEA/SzQAxvu_W9I/AAAAAAAAY3U/jsh4cTbglvI/s400/091224-obama-joker-olbermann3.jpg LOL!

50,000 sign petition for Olbermann (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-green/50000-sign-petition-for-o_b_779790.html)

Co-founder, Progressive Change Campaign Committee

As Danny Shea (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/keith-olbermann-suspended_n_779586.html), Sam Stein (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/keith-olbermann-suspensio_n_779727.html), and others are well documenting, Keith Olbermann's suspension is getting a ton of attention. The Progressive Change Campaign Committee is organizing the public to do something about it. In less than three hours, MSNBC viewers signed our petition saying (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.boldprogressives.org/images/komsnbc5.jpg (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff)

"Keith Olbermann made your network a success. If you want your viewers to keep tuning in to MSNBC, put Keith back on TV now!" Sign here (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff). (UPDATE: It's now up to 55,000 signers! Keep it going! (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff))
Literally thousands of people have shared the petition on Facebook and Twitter, including Michael Moore who Tweeted, "Sign this emergency petition (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff) to @msnbc to put @KeithOlbermann back on the air."
In our email to PCCC members announcing the petition, we pointed out the irony of this move -- given this week's election:
The Democratic Party sadly saw this week what happens when you alienate your base. Tell MSNBC that if they want to keep their viewers, they must put Keith back on the air NOW! This is a no-brainer. Keith was one of the only people speaking truth to power for years -- and we need to speak truth to power now, for him.

Sign the petition today -- then tell your friends (http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/petition_olbermann/?source=huff)

oyarde
11-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Anyway, yea, sucks for Olbie's freedom of speech, but the pigfucker deserved it for selling out the Anti-War Left and basically becoming Obama's blowjob buddy. In fact, old Olbie should go work for The White House as their Press Secretary. That would be a hoot.

Robert Gibbs is better .

KCIndy
11-05-2010, 05:16 PM

It's actually Bruce Wayne, but don't tell anyone! ;)

Anti Federalist
11-05-2010, 05:23 PM

ROFL

+rep

paulitics
11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
This is dumb. Everyone knows Kieth Olbermann is a liberal. The guy writes for dailykos for christ's sakes. It must be because he donated to Conway, and that is bad karma. Aqua Budda strikes again.

Bossobass
11-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Who's Keith Olbermann? :rolleyes:

Bosso

HOLLYWOOD
11-05-2010, 05:49 PM
This is dumb. Everyone knows Kieth Olbermann is a liberal. The guy writes for dailykos for christ's sakes. It must be because he donated to Conway, and that is bad karma. Aqua Budda strikes again.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_klxRPEKq4eo/S8aAR7ZAfqI/AAAAAAAADgM/yF-unHKfut4/s1600/MSNBC-Logo2.jpeg

libertarian4321
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, it's 11 minutes to Olbermann's show. I've got to watch just to see how they explain his disappearance.

silentshout
11-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I think it's sad, actually. Who cares who they donate to? Fox doesn't have that rule. Anyway, i don't watch any corporate cable news channels anyway. I have never even seen Olbermann, so I really don't care. However, if corporations now have free speech (citizens united case), why can't reporters donate to candidates, as long as it is disclosed?

Private company, I know, but still, bleh.

Vessol
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Can't say this makes me feel one way or the other. On one hand I used to enjoy him back in 2006/7 when I was just getting into politics, was left-leaning anti-war, and had not found Ron Paul yet. I liked when he did the Network reference.

But since then I realized how much a shill he was, so meh.

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Can't say this makes me feel one way or the other. On one hand I used to enjoy him back in 2006/7 when I was just getting into politics, was left-leaning anti-war, and had not found Ron Paul yet. I liked when he did the Network reference.

But since then I realized how much a shill he was, so meh.

The dirt is coming out now!

Keith Olbermann backed co-chair of 'Marxist-socialist' bloc
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267484

purplechoe
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
YouTube - Keith Olbermann: I'm still here! Oh wait... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmAjUb-OBo)

rprprs
11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
lol is this supposed to be a surprise that he is bias towards democrats? just watching him on election night talk over all the republican victory speechs with his stupid little commets was enough to make me want to puke. i hope he gets a job cleaning toilets at taco bell

Yeah, he sits there night after night repeatedly bashing and berating republicans and unabashedly promoting the left and THIS is what it takes to peg him as biased????!!! This is just bizarre.

purplechoe
11-05-2010, 08:14 PM
YouTube - Countdown Fill-In Thomas Roberts On Keith Olbermann's Suspension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmC701EPsuQ)

FrankRep
11-05-2010, 08:16 PM
YouTube - Keith Olbermann: I'm still here! Oh wait... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmAjUb-OBo)

:D Well played!

Batman
11-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Fox News has always been biased. Apparently, they just don't have a feel-good policy in place to protect a 'journalistic neutrality' that has never existed.

Granted, Hannity never calls himself a news anchorman by any measure. He runs an opinion show. But I feel Fox is getting a bad rap for being biased when it strikes me clearly that MSNBC is the exact same thing.

Well, yes. I am needed to fight crime if it happens in the alleys or in broad daylight. http://www.superbuddies.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_bat.gif

purplechoe
11-06-2010, 02:51 AM
YouTube - Fox News Exclusive Interview With Keith Olbermann (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u98w36t0cpw)

Noob
11-06-2010, 05:06 AM
I remember a Ron Paul revolution video were they put Olbermann as a voice over for it.

angelatc
11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Granted, Hannity never calls himself a news anchorman by any measure. He runs an opinion show. But I feel Fox is getting a bad rap for being biased when it strikes me clearly that MSNBC is the exact same thing.

Exactly. I posted an excerpt in another thread that mentioned that while Olbermann was doing his hysterics over Fox giving cash to Republicans, NBC and Viacom (among others) were giving money to the Democrats.

This isn't about him being biased. This is about him breaking their rules, and payback for being a prima donna jerk that nobody wants to work with.

georgiaboy
11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
This feels very contrived to me, esp. so soon after the election where the tea party spirit is on everyone's mind.

I'm on the watch for these types of distractions that keep the real news of where we're headed legislatively etc., off the front page. What's silver doing, btw?

That said, Keith's situation did initially strike me as Comcastic!

HOLLYWOOD
11-08-2010, 12:28 AM
It Ends~!
NBC's Phil Griffin putting Olbermann back on the air Tuesday. His suspension for donating to Democrats lasted two days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/business/media/08olbermann.html?src=twt&twt=nytimesbusiness

Matt Collins
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM
YouTube - Keith Olbermann - A Memorial Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvVJTaRw6aQ)