View Full Version : American History Paper Help Please! - "Multiculturalism"

CroSpartacus
11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
'll

FrankRep
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories/columnists/sowell.001.jpg
Thomas Sowell

The Multicultural Cult (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/thomas-sowell/4929-the-multicultural-cult)

Somebody eventually had to say it — and German chancellor Angela Merkel deserves credit for being the one who had the courage to say it out loud: Multiculturalism has utterly failed. By Thomas Sowell

The Multicultural Cult: Part II (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/thomas-sowell/4940-the-multicultural-cult-part-ii)

Cultural differences matter — and they have always mattered, however much that may be denied by the multicultural cult. By Thomas Sowell

http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories/columnists/samblumenfeld.001-001.jpg
Dr. Samuel L. Blumenfeld

Multiculturalism: Cultural Insanity Run Amok (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/sam-blumenfeld/2843-multiculturalism-cultural-insanity-run-amok)

The philosophy of Multiculturalism has been around since the 1970s and it now infects every aspect of American life. By Dr. Samuel L. Blumenfeld

Theocrat
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
For a paper like that, you're going to have to do a lot of reading on the works of the Founding Fathers. Embedded in the question of whether multiculturalism is good or not is the question of what was our Founders' original intent of establishing the republic. If you have the money to spare, this is a great resource that can help you in that endeavor:

http://shop.wallbuilders.com/common/images/products/main/Logoslg.gif (http://shop.wallbuilders.com/The-WallBuilders-Reference-Library)

wormyguy
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Your prof. will dock you a grade if you argue with them. Just write some BS with plenty of uses of the words "reactionary" and "progressive." It's easier.

LibertyVox
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
meh,
The pathetic way your professor has framed the question,it seems obvious he wouldn't mind you dissing multicult to your heart's content. Either that or he's a radical collectivist who believes in preserving group identities through social policies and is not serious about you learning. In which case you should think about changing your school.

Since the former scenario seems more likely iven the wording of the topic, just do some reading on what multiculti thingy means, get the definitions right, then get up on the soap box and start rippin it apart. It's easy.

awake
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Well from a functional standpoint, multiculturalism under democracy does not mix well, in fact it ends in cultural conflict. The majority culture uses the vote to expropriate and attack the minority cultures, and to set itself privileges over the others. Eventually in retribution, the minority uses the same system to attack others as well.

Forced integration is the government program. Property owners are forced to subsidize
unwelcome persons upon their property against their will. It leads to resentment and ill will.

Think of it this way; Let's say the government had the power to tell you that your home should have the desired multicultural makeup that it deems correct. It says that there should be one black person, one Mexican person, one Asian and one White person, You could arrange this quota in any way you see fit, but that is the criteria. But seeing that you live with your wife, who happens to be black while you are white, you immediately need to find, at your expense, an Asian and Mexican to make your home multicultural. That's fine if you want to go along and pay the costs, but what if you want only you and your wife to live on your own property?...well the government solves this by forcing you at gun point to pay for the Asian and the Mexican against your will, they are allowed to use your property with out exception. Do you think there would be happy relations between all? Who would resent who ? and for what reasons?

The statist utopia of world harmony between races and cultures via social engineering and wealth transfer welfare programs is an utter failure. They are achieving the opposite. You need not look far to see its de-civilizing effects.

However, mixed cultures can work, but only in a voluntary and contractual way, where the property owners take full responsibility and costs associated with the immigrant cultural minority being integrated . It is a slower process; it tends to be over a much longer time frame than politicians and bureaucrats can accept.

As for Americanism, I would say that it is the process of cultural stripping and forced conforming to the dominate American ideal - a trade in. Which is to say that no matter what race or culture you are from, you will now be expected to worship government paternalism, sing Americas songs, recite her pledges, wave a pretty flag and glorify war. All the while memorizing sanitized and distorted versions of American history that deletes all domestic government wrong doing in every notable event. The only bad governments are foreign ones; open targets for democratic salvation - first bribes, then bombs.

What does it mean to be American? It used to mean freedom from the government, now it means government is the answer for everything.

CroSpartacus
11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
ess.

Baptist
11-04-2010, 08:26 PM
"Multiculturalism has been the only successful challenger to the traditional narrative of Americanism, which is defined by WASP elitism and an insistence on assimilation. All other challenges to reshaping our national identity have failed. Do you agree or disagree with that statement. Has multiculturalism succeeded or have other challenges had a lasting influence on the ways in which we think of what it means to be an American. You are welcome to challenge the statement's premise, which is that Americanism has been defined by WASP elitism and an insistence on assimilation."

P.S The purpose of the class is to discuss what "Americanism" means? My entire class revolves around the question "What does it mean to be an American?"

Welcome to college. You can also look up "American exceptionalism" if "Americanism" does not lead you to enough literature.

If it were me I'd try to work in the individualism angle. Jefferson was a huge promoter of individualism as were classical liberals and current libertarians. Individualism is not about assimilation. Individualism has had a lasting influence, obviously, as is demonstrated by popular candidates like Ron and Rand Paul who promote the idea that we are all individuals, not groups.

You can also state that there has never been a whole "America," as in WASP. America has always been divided. Some of the strongest supporters of abolition were white and protestant. There have always been white protestants against screwing Native Americans. In my opinion, the Second Great Awakening was largely responsible for getting the abolition and women's rights movements going.

You could also rip multiculteralism to shreds, stating how it divides people by putting them into different groups.

Baptist
11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the resources everyone. I forgot to mention that we are discussing America of the 20th century. We went over the ethnic waves of immigration, the WWI, WWII, and Cold War years. We discussed the KKK, Civil Rights Movement, Women's movement, and Affirmative Action. I don't want to pretend to agree with the statement for a better grade. I want to argue it without him thinking I'm a bigot. It's hard to do with all the political correctness.

I never tell them what the want to hear. I take EVERY opportunity to represent liberty and the truth. At times it is the entire class + teacher against me. Teachers will respect you for not being a zombie. Every kid is a zombie so the fact that you don't regurgitate crap will impress them. Speaking the truth has never cost me a grade.

Baptist
11-04-2010, 08:31 PM
BTW, if you are a history major get ready to learn minorities and women. They are going to shove that crap down your throat the entire time. In the class I took that you are in (American history post reconstruction? or US Social History?) we spent 3 weeks on the Civil Rights Movement, 2 weeks on reconstruction, 2 weeks on women's rights, and ONE DAY to cover the entire Cold War and WWII.

They used to say that "all history is is the story of old white dudes." In half a century they will say "all history is is the story of oppressed women and minorities." They take it too far. They need to cover all history, but instead they are shoving multiculturalism down our throats.

nate895
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
"Question-begging epithet much?" is what I'd tell the professor. He so much as admits it in the second half of the question. He basically said, "Hey, WASPs are evil, but if you disagree, you can dispute, if you want, sigh."

legion
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I'd imagine the person that posted this thread is a stormfront type troll who made some BS story up to ask a question about "multiculturalism" while pretending to be an intellectual.

sailingaway
11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
What an incredibly biased question!

FrankRep
11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd imagine the person that posted this thread is a stormfront type troll who made some BS story up to ask a question about "multiculturalism" while pretending to be an intellectual.

Note: Multiculturalism is about Culture, not Race

CroSpartacus
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Um, no. This is a real assignment. As I said earlier, I'm trying not to appear as a bigot when writing this. Already I'm accused of racism just for posting the question!

legion
11-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Um, no. This is a real assignment. As I said earlier, I'm trying not to appear as a bigot when writing this. Already I'm accused of racism just for posting the question!

Lets see... the repeated use of the word "multiculturalism," an absurd and outrageous scenario, an indecipherable question.

*creeeeaaaak*

A giant filing cabinet drawer opens in my mind. The drawer is labeled "White Nationalism."

LibertyVox
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Opposition to multiculturalism has nothing to do with bigotry. The confusion usually occurs when people who do not even understand what it means employ it as a pejorative for their personal frustrations.

Tell your dullard prof that America is one of the least multicultural countries in the world, despite the tremendous diversity of background of the individuals that comprise it. SO there LOLZ

Problem of multiculturalism occurs usually in societies with historical demarcations and marked cultural differences. And for some such as Switzerland--which is one of my fav countries btw-- multiculturalism evolves into a unique symthesis of elite philosophy...and the sheeple,as usual are comfortable with it. Others such as in Canada (French Quebec), have an uneasy symbiosis.

The culture difference between California and New York is not a multicultural problem.

Having China Town or Little Saigon or Little Italy here and there, etc... is not part of the multiculti problem (hysteria). These things are actually a hall mark of a healthy vibrant, prosperous polity. They contribute to the uniqueness of a place and grow organically.

New Orleans Cajuns vs. Pennsylvania Dutch vs. Irish Hell's kitchen vs. Afro Harlem isn't part of the debate either.

Having various language chanels, and programs arn't part of the debate either (Duh!) unless ofcourse one channel is subsidized by tax payer's money.

Speaking multiple languages (which actually improves an individuals brain just like learning math at an early age) is not a multicultural problem.

The problem occurs only if one group asserts itself at the behest of others. Usually it is one " minority" against another "minority". So for example you will have signs and and government websites in English and Spanish but not Vietnamese or Farsi, that may create resentment.

Another foreseeable problem could be a city (and an American city typically is a mosaic) legislating with tax payer's money that children who can't study in Spanish, shouldn't be forced to learn English etc. but instead be offered courses in Spanish (while other "minorities" don't have that luxury). Things like these may happen once in a while, but these issues are rather trite.

The main problem is having government schools (which by their nature are inefficient) being run on theft money (which is what Public education is). If schools were private, they could ban English or Arabic or German from the curriculum and most people wouldn't care because the choices would be numerous.

Having speical quotas for minorities in public sector and public schools of higher education also causes problems.

In short, multicultural problems usually occur when there is tremendous government inervention, historical ethnic boudaries, conflicting elite supremacies (Fench vs. English Canadians) are at work, and you have things like "government ministers for minorities":rolleyes:, reserved seats in the government for minorities, having enforced quota in public schools etc etc...Or, and this is perhaps the most relevant point with respect to this country, having anti discrimination government laws and regulations which by their very nature can be invoked by individuals sometimes frivolously leading to polarization.

So tell your "trollalalala" instructor, that the problem with his premises is just that: it's simply not true (largely) that America is a multicultural nation. Never has been.

And seriously, you need to change schools or atleast drop your class because your professor doesn't seem to be very bright. You're not getting your money's worth.

An honest and reasonable opponent to multiculturalism would be taken aback at the dishonest and self-sabotaging way the question has been framed...seemingly to herd the sheep to go to the other side of the argument by design. That's no way to engender critical thinking. That's the reason members here suspected trolling.

BenIsForRon
11-04-2010, 10:47 PM
It seems to me that during much of the immigration prior to 1940, white christrians were focused on assimilating immigrants.

Now those types of assimilation programs aren't very popular, as many more Americans see the inherent value of other cultures.

Multiculturalism has made our country greater. That is, greater than it would have been if we tried to get everybody coming into the country to act exactly like we do.

FrankRep
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Multiculturalism has made our country greater. That is, greater than it would have been if we tried to get everybody coming into the country to act exactly like we do.

A melting pot society would be better for America.

LibertyVox
11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
A melting pot society would be better for America.

It already is by and large. It's mostly not a multicultural country.

timosman
07-09-2015, 03:21 AM
It has been almost 5 years now.

Multiculturalism has been the only successful challenger to the traditional narrative of Americanism.

Ronin Truth
07-09-2015, 04:23 AM
"Multiculturalism"

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=%22Multiculturalism%22+&gbv=2&oq=%22Multiculturalism%22+&gs_l=heirloom-hp.13..0l10.1327454.1327454.0.1337938.1.1.0.0.0.0. 296.296.2-1.1.0....0...1ac..34.heirloom-hp..0.1.296.oo87lc0PYBo

Does this help?

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-09-2015, 04:45 AM
In reading this thread from five years ago, it's clear that this forum has always had an infestation of egalitarian, "anti-racist" beta males.

Ronin Truth
07-09-2015, 04:49 AM
In reading this thread from five years ago, it's clear that this forum has always had an infestation of egalitarian, "anti-racist" beta males.

Yeah, we've really had all kinds pass through here. <shrug!> Only the ones that stick around for the long haul really count. ;) :D