PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Vow to Cancel Afghan war withdrawal

Anti Federalist
11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Republicans Vow to Cancel Afghan Drawdown Date

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/03/republicans-vow-to-target-already-disavowed-afghan-drawdown-date/

Flush with optimism after major victories in yesterday’s Congressional elections, House Republicans have promised one of their first orders of business is to attack President Obama’s July 2011 drawdown date in Afghanistan, despite the comparative handicap that the president already disavowed that date months ago.

Rep. Buck McKeon (R – CA), seen as a virtual lock to head the House Armed Services Committee, says that the committee’s top priority will be to continue the war in Afghanistan. McKeon pledged to work directly with commander Gen. David Petraeus to commit more equipment and resources to the war effort.

Upon taking office in 2009, President Obama quickly established Afghanistan as his war, dramatically and repeatedly escalating the US presence despite ever worsening conditions. It seems now that he will face challenges from Republicans looking to make it their war instead, and the race may be on to out-hawk one another on the war, despite poll data showing the war is increasingly unpopular among voters.

An aide for Congressional Republicans also suggested that the party will be keeping a close eye on President Bush’s commitment to have troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011, a pledge which President Obama eventually endorsed (after abandoning campaign pledges to end the war at an earlier date). This has become a growing issue as the State Department, which is scrambling to assemble its own army to continue the war for years after 2011, has faced warnings it may not be up to the task.

Stary Hickory
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
They had better figure it out, people do not want to be in eternal war. This was NOT a vote to stay at war. They had better vow to repeal Obamacare and reduce the size of government instead.

This neocon krap is going to hurt them if they keep it up. Lets see if the new critters can take on the neocons.

oyarde
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Just out of curiosity , why would anyone announce a withdrawal date like happened with this ? What could be behind that ?

HOLLYWOOD
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Rep. Buck McKeon (R – CA), seen as a virtual lock to head the House Armed Services Committee aka Military Industrial Complex spokesman

tremendoustie
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
dammit ...

Now, have people figured out not to vote for republicans yet, unless they're named Ron, B.J., Kokesh, etc? Congrats to those who got suckered into the "lesser of two evils" trap, you just helped insure more endless war.

And when can we stop being stuck with this jacked up dystopian political system?

SWATH
11-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Yay! In two years we can throw the bums out...again, and vote for hope and change...again.

Anti Federalist
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
aka Military Industrial Surveillance Complex spokesman

Fixed that for you.

There is no Military Industrial Complex, because there is no industry here anymore to speak.

tremendoustie
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Yay! In two years we can throw the bums out...again, and vote for hope and change...again.

Ooo, will we get a fresh pack of lies? I do so love fresh lies. And how about pandering? Pandering makes me feel so important. I wish it were 2012 already!

oyarde
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
aka Military Industrial Complex spokesman

How did he get involved with that ? Unlikely background for it , Mormon businessman ...

Humanae Libertas
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
You guys got what you voted for, another 2 years of the Bush years. You guys seriously forgot it was the Republicans that pushed all this police state crap when they were in power back 4-5 years ago.

Agorism
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Dems would have kept it going anyways.

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2010/11/ramit.JPG

oyarde
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2010/11/ramit.JPG

Yes .

LibertyVox
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Just reverse the roles!

YouTube - Colonel Trautman's Commentary on Afghans (1988) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vd7q7Ip234)

YouTube - Taliban's History, told to an ex-American soldier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qeJqC5dFA)

The freedom fighters say, "You have the watches, We got the time."

Norwegian documentary: Living with the Taliban = Watch this and appreciate that Ron Paul is right.

YouTube - Afghan Patriots - Living with the Taliban (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvzDIr8zzE)

We Are The Taliban, Occupation Is Futile.

http://www.get-the-skinny.com/blog//images/bush_borg.jpeg

http://scifun.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/1278929569066.jpg

nobody's_hero
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Unfortunately, that is correct. I'm afraid that, on our current course, this war will continue until the dollar implodes.

nate895
11-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Moronic GOP. I swear some of the idiots in the establishment are retarded. "Hey, guys, we have a moderately popular small government agenda, let's start by advocating the one part of our plank that lost us the last two elections". Same garbage the Democrats pull on a regular basis.

heavenlyboy34
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
dammit ...

Now, have people figured out not to vote for republicans yet, unless they're named Ron, B.J., Kokesh, etc? Congrats to those who got suckered into the "lesser of two evils" trap, you just helped insure more endless war.

And when can we stop being stuck with this jacked up dystopian political system?

A-MEN!! :D:):cool:

Imaginos
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
aka Military Industrial Complex spokesman
Not just him.
Majority of politicians work for Military Industrial Complex and AIPAC.

anaconda
11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Go Rand Paul! Become the Strong Defense & Peace Leader!!!!

klamath
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
One republican suddenly becomes "Republicans". I didn't vote for republicans in 2006 2008 hoping the democrats would end the wars. Four years later and everything including the Iraq withdrawal went out the window. This election was about gridlock with the hopes to get a few less warring republicans elected. Most of them got defeated. If nothing else Obama may have to start apealing to his progressive base and start the drawdown to make the Republicans go against the american peoples wishes by opposing the drawdown.

jmdrake
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
They had better figure it out, people do not want to be in eternal war. This was NOT a vote to stay at war. They had better vow to repeal Obamacare and reduce the size of government instead.

This neocon krap is going to hurt them if they keep it up. Lets see if the new critters can take on the neocons.

Well Obama and the libs were too dumb to know that their mandate was for ending bailouts and ending the war. Last year the ridiculous "peace activists" went around collecting petitions to support Obamacare instead of for ending the war. And the jackasses kept saying that Obama had a "mandate" for "universal healthcare". So it's only to be expected that the GOP would make the same dumb mistake in reverse.

JK/SEA
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
But but but...WE NEED our weapons!,,,mark my words, japan and germany will attack again and we must be ready!..

Noob
11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Just watch, the Neocon's well expand the wars into Iran.

I have a gut felling that the wars well be further expanded into Saudi Arabia were they be ready to fight back at American forces, using the same type of equipment and jets. Leading Russia to attack the United States, with China backing Russia up.

smithtg
11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
You guys got what you voted for, another 2 years of the Bush years. You guys seriously forgot it was the Republicans that pushed all this police state crap when they were in power back 4-5 years ago.

i dont think anyone here did (well at least not too many) but bahhhh, thee sheeple have

lets not forget the patriot act, naked body scanners and "a strong national defense" OH and they are going to find that dead Bin laden guy yet! or maybe his alter ego?

smithtg
11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Just watch, the Neocon's well expand the wars into Iran.

I have a gut felling that the wars well be further expanded into Saudi Arabia were they be ready to fight back at American forces, using the same type of equipment and jets. Leading Russia to attack the United States, with China backing Russia up.

whats that song John? bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran?

Theocrat
11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Moronic GOP. I swear some of the idiots in the establishment are retarded. "Hey, guys, we have a moderately popular small government agenda, let's start by advocating the one part of our plank that lost us the last two elections". Same garbage the Democrats pull on a regular basis.

That's why I support third party candidates, for the most part.

Noob
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
whats that song John? bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran?
Explane to me why McCain was reelected?

Insane in the McCain Brain -

YouTube - Insane in the McCain Brain - RNC 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovN2lsT5wE)

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran

YouTube - Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg)

jmdrake
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Go Rand Paul! Become the Strong Defense & Peace Leader!!!!

Yes! This could be Rand's time to shine. Sure he might disappoint some "teocons" but who cares?

smithtg
11-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Explane to me why McCain was reelected?

Insane in the McCain Brain -

YouTube - Insane in the McCain Brain - RNC 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovN2lsT5wE)

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran

YouTube - Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg)

beautiful thanks for the tube support! AND YES WHO RE ELECTED HIM?

MN Patriot
This is why the Tea Party needs to have a serious discussion about creating a third party. Any Republicans who agree with us would be free to join us.

Watch... the Republicans will NOT even mention ending the income tax. Why? BECAUSE WE ARE THEIR TAX SLAVES! :mad:

nate895
That's why I support third party candidates, for the most part.

I just think we need to take over the GOP. We made huge strides towards doing that over the past year. We need to continue to make them.

oyarde
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I just think we need to take over the GOP. We made huge strides towards doing that over the past year. We need to continue to make them.

My thoughts as well .

RforRevolution
11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Rands first test!? Hopefully he comes out swinging!

Theocrat
11-04-2010, 08:00 PM

As I told LibertyEagle a few times, if you believe infiltrating the GOP will change its direction towards the right principles, go ahead. While you're doing that, others like myself will continue to build up support for third parties on the local and state levels through education and grassroots activism. Maybe we both will meet at a crossroad, and when that happens, may our messages be formidable enough to cause a revolution in this nation. God help us, please.

angelatc
11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Obama can call the troops home tomorrow and there's not a damned thing the warmongers could do about it.

Of course he won't, but he could.

LibertyVox
11-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Pathetic isn't it? Takes the mojo out of living.
So after about a decade minus one year of making wars on 2 countries (three if we count he destructive spillage) and destabilizing the region, mass murdering hundreds of thousands, what have we achieved? Does any one even remember?

Achievements? More enmity, more hatred, more isolation, more steps towards implosion, less respect, less credibility, less money and have opened our selves up for massive retaliations. Awesome.

Not until the shit hits the fan, that all is considered holy and well in being the policeman of the world, until the $$tab$$ comes a callin'... it is then that the American tax payer decides he doesn't really give a shit about mass murdering people in order to do them a favor.

Just imagining our sins being called to solvency send shivers down my spine.

smithtg
11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
This is why the Tea Party needs to have a serious discussion about creating a third party. Any Republicans who agree with us would be free to join us.

Watch... the Republicans will NOT even mention ending the income tax. Why? BECAUSE WE ARE THEIR TAX SLAVES! :mad:

The "tea party" was infiltrated a long time ago. The partiers mention smaller government and its good to "try" to discuss the entitlements blah blah, but they no longer (and havent in awhile) mentioned cutting defense, reducing OR ELIMINATING INCOME taxes (aka "status quo) "but we are saving you from obamas tax hike they say LMAO and of course the partiers never mention ending the FED anymore

yes a third party is in order

HOLLYWOOD
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
This is why we have a double battle with the Establishment..

1. We have to get OUR candidates to win the primaries

2. We have to win the General election against both parties.... aka one establishment party

Noob
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
McCain-Lieberman Enemy Belligerent, Interrogation, Detention, and Prosecution Act of 2010

http://www.infowars.com/dissenters-to-be-detained-as-enemy-belligerents/

MN Patriot
11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

2. We have to win the General election against both parties.... aka one establishment party

This is why we need to have a serious national discussion of HOW to create a third party to put the Republican Party out of business. Not why it can't be done. We need to come up with a plan of HOW TO DO IT.

Let any Republican who truly believes in small government, no unjustified wars, NO INCOME TAX, no corporate bailouts, to JOIN US.

In two years people might understand why there is no REAL difference between the old two parties, in case they haven't been able to notice this fact in the last 20 - 30 years.

Brian4Liberty
11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Right. And we need to run as both Republicans and Democrats in the Primaries, just like the establishment does.

Jordan
11-04-2010, 08:57 PM

OMG SERIOUSLY?

WTF! How were you the only person on this forum to realize most Republicans still suck?

dannno
11-04-2010, 10:02 PM
This election had nothing to do with the god damn wars you pieces of shit :mad: (the RINOS, not you guys, you're cool :cool:)

idirtify
11-05-2010, 12:31 AM
We need to come up with a plan of HOW TO DO IT.

Step one: enter voting booth.
Step two: pull lever that says “LIBERTARIAN”.
Step three: go through other pages.
Step four: push button that says “submit”.

sailingaway
11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Interesting. Some are looking to Rand and tea party senators to help on the withdrawal side: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/04/tea-party-obama-make-strange-bedfellows-afghanistan-war/

revolutionary8
11-05-2010, 12:52 AM
A LONG time ago when I first started figuring all of this out, I remember reading a post from Republicae Seditionist on how he thought that "the major parties" would split and were ultimately "doomed". He figured the GOP would go first. (if you know Republicae, it didn't sound like that) but regardless he was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. There WAS a rift within the GOP, he had surmised that the GOP would go the way of the whigs after a battle w/ in the party between the paleo conservatives/Constitutionalists/Libertarians and the NEOCONS/DIXIECRATS. He thought the constitutionalists would eventually win. Looking back he was SPOT ON, but as NFL has mentioned before- when people try to describe what they have never seen before, they might be somewhat "off"...

justinc.1089
11-05-2010, 02:39 AM
WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How DARE Obama utter the word withdrawal and make Amerika look week!!!!!!!!

We will win, and we will be uber vitcorious!!!!!!! We are going to get the terrorists b4 they get us! They hate us because we're free and rich!:mad:

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

I wonder what effect this is going to have on the Republican Party since they have been losing elections over the war.

Its interesting because people vote out the Republicans because they don't want war, and then the Democrats give them government ran healthcare they don't want, so they vote the Republicans back in. The Republicans win over saying they will end healthcare, but instead ramp the wars back up, even more than Obama has done.

I just wonder what effect this will have since each party is doing something incredibly unpopular right now. Usually they at least have support from their own 40%-50%, but they don't at the moment.

MyLibertyStuff
11-05-2010, 02:42 AM
What else were they gunna spend the saved money on? Paying down the debt?

bunklocoempire
11-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Just out of curiosity , why would anyone announce a withdrawal date like happened with this ? What could be behind that ?

I believe it sets up a "victory" date, and since the mission is anything but clear folks believe it has an end.

We just witnessed this with Iraq with the msnbc "combat troops leaving" extravaganza.

They're treating it like an appointment with your mechanic -except that if your paying attention you understand that your car is in the shop indefinitley.

date vs. no date

Of course the Repubs have to come in and remind us of the "differences" between the two parties at this point for good measure... in case anyone has forgotten.:rolleyes:

:mad:

Bunkloco

american.swan
11-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Rand and Ron and Amash aren't going to be voting for any more. The three of them should introduce legislation to withdraw in 30 days of the passage of said bill. Because it's "OVER" and "we can't afford it". We just marched in, we can just march out.

THAT would "shock" the neocon voters and may encourage a third party.

rich34
11-05-2010, 05:45 AM
If anything hopefully the anti war left will wake up and see that their only ally may just be the Ron Paul folks in congress albeit, republicans.. That is if they're truly serious about ending this nonsense..

RM918
11-05-2010, 06:22 AM
If anything hopefully the anti war left will wake up and see that their only ally may just be the Ron Paul folks in congress albeit, republicans.. That is if they're truly serious about ending this nonsense..

We know what they'll do: Say look, the Republicans are starting the war again! And demand more democrats.

MN Patriot
11-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Step one: enter voting booth.
Step two: pull lever that says “LIBERTARIAN”.
Step three: go through other pages.
Step four: push button that says “submit”.

It is MUCH more complicated than that.

We need viable Libertarian candidates running for EVERY federal and state office in the country. Candidates wearing suits, with good haircuts and no beards.
They need to run serious, credible campaigns.
ALL candidates should be part of a nationwide effort to promote the same SPECIFIC libertarian agenda. (End the income tax, end the wars, downsize government, end the Fed)
They need to have realistic, workable solutions.
They need to have massive amounts of POSITIVE publicity.

This is why we need to have a serious national discussion on how we are going to do this.

As a first step, perhaps there could be "exploratory" campaign websites popping up all over the country, for people who are at least thinking about running for a third party, just to show the Republican Establishment that there are many people around the nation who are still unsatisfied with the GOP when they talk about expanding war and not ending the Marxist income tax.

vita3
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
So are any House R's coming together to try & keep Buck McKeon from being the head of the Armed Committe?

jtstellar
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
my take is it's pretty much useless at this point, we will have non-interventionist ideas surging only after a financial collapse and we indeed will have a collapse. independents can't get elected, and we have seen what dems with control in house, senate, and presidency can do about the war--nothing.

moostraks
11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
We know what they'll do: Say look, the Republicans are starting the war again! And demand more democrats.

too true...:(

silentshout
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I am shocked, i tell you..shocked! /s

This is a return to the Bush years. (not like it wasn't already, since Obama has done more of the same.)

silentshout
11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Well Obama and the libs were too dumb to know that their mandate was for ending bailouts and ending the war. Last year the ridiculous "peace activists" went around collecting petitions to support Obamacare instead of for ending the war. And the jackasses kept saying that Obama had a "mandate" for "universal healthcare". So it's only to be expected that the GOP would make the same dumb mistake in reverse.

^^ so true..

georgiaboy
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

This would be nice.

angelatc
11-05-2010, 10:41 AM

No kidding. :(

paulitics
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
And somehow they will win on this issue, but somehow fail miserably in pushing back any socialist programs.

On this issue, the liberals will lie down, while pretending to put up a fight for political gain.

Same old shit, different congress.

oyarde
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
This election had nothing to do with the god damn wars you pieces of shit :mad: (the RINOS, not you guys, you're cool :cool:)

True , the election had nothing to do with the war , but the domestic economic terrorism waged by dems against the people.

Pericles
11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
True , the election had nothing to do with the war , but the domestic economic terrorism waged by dems against the people.
An activity at which they are both well practiced and adept.

charrob
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

There's a small vocal contingency of them that have been woke up since 2001 and never went to sleep. Recently at a relatively well-attended meeting of Liberal antiwar activists sponsored by Code Pink, i brought up this issue. Medea Benjamin was on the stage and had the microphone (she is founder of C.P.) and said she very much wants to work with Ron Paul libertarians to end the wars, and others at the meeting all agreed.

My question is, and has been,

what are the conditions of both sides to do this?
what, exactly, are we going to do in addition to writing letters, emails and calling our representatives (which most already do)?

osan
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/03/republicans-vow-to-target-already-disavowed-afghan-drawdown-date/ (http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/03/republicans-vow-to-target-already-disavowed-afghan-drawdown-date/)

Flush with optimism after major victories in yesterday’s Congressional elections, House Republicans have promised one of their first orders of business is to attack President Obama’s July 2011 drawdown date in Afghanistan, despite the comparative handicap that the president already disavowed that date months ago.

Rep. Buck McKeon (R – CA), seen as a virtual lock to head the House Armed Services Committee, says that the committee’s top priority will be to continue the war in Afghanistan. McKeon pledged to work directly with commander Gen. David Petraeus to commit more equipment and resources to the war effort.

Upon taking office in 2009, President Obama quickly established Afghanistan as his war, dramatically and repeatedly escalating the US presence despite ever worsening conditions. It seems now that he will face challenges from Republicans looking to make it their war instead, and the race may be on to out-hawk one another on the war, despite poll data showing the war is increasingly unpopular among voters.

An aide for Congressional Republicans also suggested that the party will be keeping a close eye on President Bush’s commitment to have troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011, a pledge which President Obama eventually endorsed (after abandoning campaign pledges to end the war at an earlier date). This has become a growing issue as the State Department, which is scrambling to assemble its own army to continue the war for years after 2011, has faced warnings it may not be up to the task.

Boy those bastards wasted no time going right back to their old tricks. I suspected this might happen, though I am surprised at how instantaneously the reversion was.

We need to do a lot more than work within the system. Mass civil disobedience is in order.

tremendoustie
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Boy those bastards wasted no time going right back to their old tricks. I suspected this might happen, though I am surprised at how instantaneously the reversion was.

We need to do a lot more than work within the system. Mass civil disobedience is in order.

Absolutely it is in order, and it is FAR more effective. It also requires more personal risk, however.

vita3
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I was in a Catholic Church in Minneapolis about a month ago & they had "end the wars" sign under the main Cross. It was pretty eye-opening & inspirational.

I agree that the Ron Paul crowd & the anti-war left should unite on this.

Now is the time.

osan
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM

I hope you don't plan on holding your breath in wait.

This neocon krap is going to hurt them if they keep it up.

How do you figure? How do you hurt them? Vote them out? That won't hurt them in the least. It will get them good paying jobs with those whose bidding they did.

I think it is high time we cut the self delusional crap and come down to actualities: the vote is ineffectual on the whole. We'd better get a plan and execute.

osan
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Absolutely it is in order, and it is FAR more effective. It also requires more personal risk, however.

How do you figure "more personal risk"? Doing nothing or something that is ineffectual pretty much brings the probability of complete loss of freedom to 1.0. Fighting this materially is the ONLY hope remaining to us.

Vessol
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I can hardly mask my surprise.

heavenlyboy34
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Believe it or not, some do. I've talked to them myself. There are some pretty sick people out there. :eek:

heavenlyboy34
11-05-2010, 06:03 PM

+a zillion! :D:cool::)

phill4paul
11-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Fuck 'em. Just fuck 'em. If you didn't get the message....

http://warisacrime.org/sites/afterdowningstreet.org/files/images/endfwars.jpg

Just MY belief. It is what I vote by.

Brooklyn Red Leg
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM

ARGH! Fuck! Fuck! FUCK!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: