PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: "I can't imagine endorsing anybody else" (President)

BamaFanNKy
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/04/ron-paul-on-gary-johnson-i-can

YouTube - Former NM Gov. Gary Johnson's Vision For a Truly Free America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFeh7DHHbkI)

Liberty_Mike
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for sharing. Gary Johnson rules! He will have my support in 2012.

Chieppa1
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I can imagine him endorsing Rand.

Fr3shjive
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
What sort of impact did he have on NM? I was just looking at his wikipedia and I was impressed but what effect did he have on the state?

freshjiva
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Gary Johnson is awesome. I know he's a strong defender of liberty principles, but he has sort of created an image of himself (at least among those who follow him) as being an advocate of marijuana legalization. Of course that's a good thing from the perspective of curtailing a big part of the drug wars, but he's not going to get very many votes from social conservatives if he ever does decide to run for national office.

For the sake of taking liberty ideas mainstream, I hope he doesn't continue this trend.

BuddyRey
11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Fun Fact: If elected, Gary would be the third U.S. President with the last name Johnson, but only the first among them to have a functioning brain.

Elwar
11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Throughout the election season we must keep Ron Paul and Gary Johnson at the top of the lineup.

Any easy duplication of effort you can do between both campaigns...do it.

One will eventually drop out and endorse the other and we need to be able to smoothly transition supporters from one to the other.

malkusm
11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Fun Fact: If elected, Gary would be the third U.S. President with the last name Johnson, but only the first among them to have a functioning brain.

Hahahaha

teacherone
11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
he's got no charisma and cannot express the philosophy of liberty with any fluency.

he has no name recognition-- wanna do sign waves "google johnson" for the next 2 years?

don't see him going too far--but if he makes it into the debates it would be good and bad for ron paul--good to have some back-up, bad because the contrast between him and nine douche-bags won't be as stark.

Elwar
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
YouTube - THE R3VOLUTION CONTINUES (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5V4vbL_WE&feature=player_embedded)

trey4sports
11-04-2010, 03:46 PM
We are still in the educational phase. All candidates that espouse liberty views should be encouraged to join in the debate. Plus, gary will indirectly bring more people into the liberty camp.

Imperial
11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I really like Gary Johnson, and I'm cool with him running before we actually get to the Iowa caucus. It is a great exercise in building name recognition for the next presidential election, and would give Dr. Paul a handy boost at the polls.

But I don't know if Gary Johnson would be willing to do that. He seems very set on running for President already and has a team ready to go into that.

fisharmor
11-04-2010, 04:25 PM

It's my experience that anyone that historians regularly rank amongst the worst US presidents can't be all that bad... and it sure seems that there is enough intellectual coloration of AJ's career to go around.

nobody's_hero
11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
It's my experience that anyone that historians regularly rank amongst the worst US presidents can't be all that bad... and it sure seems that there is enough intellectual coloration of AJ's career to go around.

QFT! Basically:

"This president, so-and-so, sucked because he didn't do anything for the country."

"FDR, on the other hand, was a ***-damned hero."

Matt Collins
11-04-2010, 05:08 PM
This video is from February 2010.

Sentient Void
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
If Gary Johnson runs in the republican primaries with Ron Paul (if Ron Paul decides to run), wouldn't that 'split' the libertarian vote, making it easier for establishment republicans to win the primaries?

lx43
11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I would vote for Johnson if RP decides not to run.

BuddyRey
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Well, in fairness to Andrew Johnson, he wasn't as heartless as Lincoln and actually felt kind of bad for having to enforce Reconstruction on the south. He's not in my bottom ten or even my bottom twenty, but there's much he could have done in his position of power to challenge the northern Republican power structure that he failed to do.

I do heartily agree, however, that most critics' perception of the "best and worst" Presidents is completely bass-ackwards, and largely based on how "active" the President was, or how much he "got done" (a pretty euphemism for concocting new schemes to separate people from their money and freedom). Calvin Coolidge, for example, has to be one of the most singularly underrated figures in American history, and was probably the most libertarian U.S. President of the last 150+ years, IMO.

Knightskye
11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
he's got no charisma

Ron Paul ain't Obama either.

Sentient Void
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I would vote for Johnson if RP decides not to run.

Agreed.

Acralight
11-05-2010, 08:50 AM
What sort of impact did he have on NM? I was just looking at his wikipedia and I was impressed but what effect did he have on the state?

"When Governor Johnson entered office, New Mexico ranked as one of the top 5 states in the country for most spending. When he left office, New Mexico was one of only 4 states with a balanced budget." CATO Institutes Annual Governor Reports

BamaFanNKy
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
he's got no charisma and cannot express the philosophy of liberty with any fluency.

he has no name recognition-- wanna do sign waves "google johnson" for the next 2 years?

don't see him going too far--but if he makes it into the debates it would be good and bad for ron paul--good to have some back-up, bad because the contrast between him and nine douche-bags won't be as stark.

No charisma? hmmm

But you are right. America would never vote for a no name governor as President:
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politics/images-2/bill-clinton.jpg

Matt Collins
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
No charisma? hmmm

But you are right. America would never vote for a no name governor as President:

Clinton only won because Bush wasn't conservative enough and the conservatives didn't stick around to vote for him (Ross Perot)

BamaFanNKy
11-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Clinton only won because Bush wasn't conservative enough and the conservatives didn't stick around to vote for him (Ross Perot)

I'm even referring to his own party. He was not the most popular 2 years before. Anyone who tries to say "Name Recognition" matters..... needs to realize 2 years is too early to make that assessment (really it's one isn't it).