PDA

View Full Version : Big grassroot project ideas? Here's mine: A radio station!

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
So, obviously the power of the grassroots is great. The question I pose is, what are the big things we should do for the 2012 election? One thing I think could be the best tool for us during the 2012 election is a radio station. As some of you may or may not know, I started RonPaulradio.com back in 2007, and basically was in charge until February 2008. Running RonPaulradio.com, a 24/7 Internet radio station, gave me amazing experience which gives me a unique insight into the benefits and challenges of running a radio station. This topic is going to examine all of the benefits and challenges of having a grassroots-style radio station during the 2012 presidential election.

First, I will start with the benefits (since there are more benefits then challenges). A radio station will give us the ability to report live from anywhere. With the advancement of technology (smartphones were not as widespread in 2007), reporting live from anywhere has never been easier. We can report from any rally or event in the country. Most people have jobs or commitments that require them to stay where they are, and cannot attend all of the events that happen around the country. The radio station makes it easy for people to tune in and follow along what is going on with the election, from home, work, or even from their smartphone. But it's not just reporting or broadcasting from an event that makes this special. Let me give you an example.

The first time RonPaulradio went live was at the August 6th national debates. I was broadcasting live from the press room, giving a report behind the scenes of the debate. After the debate, I went to the 'spin room' and got to ask the candidates questions 1-on-1. But it wasn't just me that was asking the questions. I posted here on Ron Paul forums, asking you guys to give me questions. Someone gave me an excellent question for Duncan Hunter about solving the trade deficit and preventing loss of jobs being sent overseas. It was a complicated and in-depth question. After he answered "we need to bring jobs back here", I followed up by asking "how do we compete with lower prices overseas"? He responded by saying that China was manipulating its currency (keep in mind, this was back in 2007). While he was telling me this, he was walking away, because it was obvious he did not want to answer tough, in-depth questions. Unlike the MSM, we can ask real, complicated questions, and ask follow-up questions. So let me ask YOU a question: How else are we going to ask these questions to these candidates without a radio station? How else can we put them on the spot with tough, no-fluff questions?

Giving YOU the ability to ask candidates questions in near real-time isn't the only benefit of having a radio station. Imagine, we could interview one (but could invite all) of the candidates to our radio show, and maybe have an hour segment, where we can really dig deep into the intentions of the people attempting to have the most powerful job in the most powerful country in the world. We would also have a chat, where once again, you can ask the candidates questions in real-time. It would allow us to have unhinged access to the presidential candidates, so we can further explore what their plans on for welfare, the war, the deficit, the economy, our many federal departments, and everything and anything else. Again, I am unaware of any other grassroots project that will allow us to have access to candidates like a radio station would.

Not only could we report live from rallies and debates, but we can also report live as the voting is happening. Does anyone remember Nevada? Mitt Romney won Nevada, but do you remember how? Some say Mitt used his powerful political and religious alliances in Nevada. When the primary vote was supposed to happen, the locations of some of the voting places were changed in the last minute. This resulted in a lot of Ron Paul supporters confused and angry, trying to figure out where to go. With a radio station, we can have people call in and tell us what is going on. The radio station can be a hub of instant and real-time information for the grassroots. We can also have things like exit polling, which can give us an idea of how the election is looking. Having a radio station would be immensely useful for this purpose alone.

Having our own radio station also allows us to circumvent the MSM and give YOU the information you want, when you want it. During the Iowa caucus, RonPaulradio was the first website or news outlet to report the results (we were reporting live, in real-time). As soon as the results were announced, we announced them, and WE (the grassroots) were the first to know the results of the Iowa caucus. The MSM was super late in reporting the results, and Daily Paul was maybe 15-20 minutes after us. Again, this is just another example of the power of a radio station.

And it was not just Americans who tuned into Ron Paul radio. I frequently got emails from people overseas telling me RonPaulradio was the only way they could listen to the debates and have access to the information. Imagine our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. How are they going to follow the political discourse in our country? Our radio station could give them access. And not just for our troops, but for all Americans living overseas. Again, a monumental benefit that is nearly unmatched from any other grassroots project.

These live reporting are great, but what about when there are no events? Typically, we would probably have radio shows from a variety of guests. We could also simulcast other radio shows. We could broadcast shows from people like Peter Schiff and the Southern Avenger (assuming, of course, they agreed to be broadcasted on our radio station). Since it is likely our radio station will be more high-profile then 2007, we could possibly get even bigger and better radio show hosts. I am not making any guarantees, but I am throwing out ideas that are entirely possible.

If anyone ever tuned in to my radio show (back in 2007), you can probably remember how much fun we had. This is less of a factual, and more of an emotional benefit. Political campaigns are draining. People get angry and frustrated. A radio station is a great way to release some steam and have fun at the same time. It is important for us to maintain a positive attitude. When you get home or get to work, and tune in to our great shows, it makes the political process less painful.

It wouldn't just be fun for everyone at home, but if we really wanted to do this, I think a great way to raise awareness would be to have a Sunday BBQ or something, where we can have live music and free food, and we can broadcast live and hand out information to educate voters. We could also host local events. I'm sure you've heard your favorite radio station broadcast from a bar or pub or live event. We could also do this. Again, the possibilities for us are nearly endless.
In 2007, someone offered me an AM radio station that reached about 500,000 people in Iowa. Imagine, being able to reach half a million people in the first primary state? Is there anything that could be more beneficial then that? Please, post your ideas, because I am convinced this is possibly the best grassroots project we could have.

Well, you might be asking, if it's so great and easy, why doesn't everybody do it? Well, it's really not that easy. Let me explain the main challenges to having the radio station.

Obviously the first challenge is cost. Having an AM radio station for a year in Iowa will cost anywhere between $150,000-200,000. It is expensive. The PLUS side of this (besides the fact that it's 1/4-1/3 the cost of flying a blimp for 2 months) is that we can run commercials. Radio is a business, and businesses are meant to make money. While it will cost 150-200k, we might actually be able to earn more money selling advertising, which could make our radio station a profitable venture. One thing I am pretty sure of, there is no way flying a blimp in the sky is going to bring a monetary ROI.

But that is just the cost of the radio station. That does not include the hosts or people running the radio station. If we are going to report from events, we have to get there somehow, right? That costs money. The people reporting need to eat, right? That costs money. Not only do we have to pay money to lease the radio station, but we need to pay money to the people who help it operate.
If this idea is brought to fruition, and I am lucky enough to be chosen to help run the radio station, then I will move to Iowa and live in the radio station. That way, I don't have to pay rent. I would practically live at the radio station anyway (lol). If I am not chosen, more then likely whoever is chosen is going to want some sort of decent salary. I have been an unemployed college student for almost 2 years, so I know how to live on nearly nothing. If you recall from "For Liberty", I say, "My whole life... for... 6,7,8 months, was Ron Paul radio, get Ron Paul elected. That is the only reason I was alive". That's because I am a patriot and I want to help our country. I am passionate about the cause. I am not trying to set myself up with a career or a job. If that was the case, I would stay in Austin, TX, and DJ in the clubs down here. But I am willing to move to an entirely new place and do this operation because our country needs help, and somebody needs to step up. I stepped up with RonPaulradio, and I'll step up again.

We also need interesting and likable hosts. With RonPaulradio, most of the hosts were not paid, and the ones that were were paid very modestly. If I was in charge of this radio project, I would not pay the radio hosts. Rather, I would give them a cut of advertising revenue they brought in. This will help keep costs down.
Another challenge is legal issues. With RonPaulradio, I found an experienced lawyer who helped me at little to no cost, because he was supportive of the cause. I would need to find someone similar for this venture, as legal expenses could possibly exceed the cost for the radio station itself.

Another challenge is avoiding divisive topics, such as abortion or 9/11 truth. Those of you who remember RonPaulradio know that my radio is not a 'conspiracy' radio. It is a NORMAL RADIO. I played music, I talked about news, and everybody HAD FUN. I am not someone who is going to want to go on the air to talk about extremely controversial issues, and I would strongly discourage such discussions among the show hosts. I understand these issues are important to some people, but it is not worth the conflicts or the backlash. If you guys want to talk about these extreme issues, go to Alex Jones, Revolution Broadcasting, or don't choose me to head this project. I am a DJ. This is what I DO. Expect a radio station that is run by me to be more like your 'normal' radio station, with the political spin of course ;)

Another challenge is equipment. If we do not decide to have a real radio station, I will still run RonPaulradio.com. However, it will be out of my house, likely in Austin, TX, with my basic equipment. It will be much more difficult and much less 'legit'. Equipment is an issue, but if we have a real radio station, the studio should have all the equipment I need to have a smooth broadcast. A real radio station is miles away from what I could achieve in my house with my equipment and my cell phone.

So, to sum up the challenges, they are - hosts, money, and equipment, and legal. The benefits? Broadcasting live from anywhere, having real-time results for polling events and caucuses, backstage access to debates, 1-on-1 with presidential candidates and media personalities, broadcasting around the world, having a platform to access half a million people in the first primary state in the country... I think I've made my point.

Many people say, "we should have one in NH". I think it's a great idea, but we need to keep our challenges in mind. Different markets have different costs. We should target low-cost markets, e.g. Iowa, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan. Yes, I have this thought out pretty well =P

If you guys have any questions or would like me to expand on any points in this topic, please ask. If you guys think there is a better 'major' grassroots project that we could do, please, explain it. But I think we should see all the benefits and challenges. Had we known all of the challenges of flying a blimp during the winter months, perhaps we would have made a better decision. I wrote a 12 page paper covering this topic (but lost it), so this is my 2nd attempt to explain the benefits and challenges of the radio station. It isn't as in-depth as my first paper, but at least I finally got this damn thing re-written (lol).

So, what do you guys think? Is this something the grassroots would support? My goal would be to have the radio station up and running BY THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE. If it is not, I will likely still do RonPaulradio, because this is my life, and I love my country, and RonPaulradio is the best way I think I can help. If we have a real radio station, I want to call it 'Liberty Live' or something like that. The real radio station will be 'non-partisan'. If Ron Paul is really the best person for our country, it will be shown through the debates and the campaigns. I will be willing to give ALL candidates the chance to give good answers on 'the tough questions'. If I were to guess, I'd say many candidates will fall on their face, because most politicians are full of BS. And they will be exposed through a tough line of questioning. It will be unedited and raw. But I will give them all a chance.

I am a DJ, and I was never involved in politics until 2007. I'm a veteran, I'm a nice guy, and I'm just a normal person. I would be a good person to help run this venture (with my experience and my skills). If this doesn't happen, then again, I'll do Ron Paul radio, and I'll do w/e I want. Keep in mind, running a 24/7 radio station is IMMENSE WORK. My passion kept the fire lit, until I knew Ron Paul would not win, then my flame burned out. I am ready to light the fire again, but I want to take it to the next level. Can we be legit, or will we remain on the internet? I want a studio, a station, and the real thing.

However, it's not up to me. It's up to you, and everybody here. So fire away with questions and comments =)

Madly_Sane
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I like listening to political radio shows, but not the ones who have only one person talking the whole time. If RP had a radio show, I'd listen to it.

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Right, it would switch up with the hosts, and the different style of shows. Personally I like music

nate895
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I have six projects that I think need to be worked on in order to win in 2012 and ensure the continued success and influence of the Liberty Movement, as I elaborate on here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=266869) and here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267148):

Solid Tea Party Backing
Smear Machine
Candidates Everywhere
Project Iowa
Project New Hampshire
Project South Carolina

This is about building a grassroots machine that can successfully elect candidates nationwide, wherever there is a viable race.

Madly_Sane
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
It should do the morning talk show thing... but idk, a lot of ppl I know dont like that. I personally do.
But yea, it could have a couple of songs in the middle of a show for a break. Or have mostly music during the day and talk during night.

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Cool, did you read my radio idea? I think it would work perfectly in your plan to win Iowa and SC. The benefits of a radio station are posted above

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I was thinking like a morning show, from 7-10 or 11, with a mix of talk, news, and music. Then music till like 2 or 3, then maybe talk until like 8 or so, then maybe music, and then for the late night hours, we could just play speeches and stuff from candidates, like we did with RonPaulradio

but the great thing is, we can be really flexible. There isn't really a set defined thing we have to do. It's more about a consensus

Deborah K
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I have six projects that I think need to be worked on in order to win in 2012 and ensure the continued success and influence of the Liberty Movement, as I elaborate on here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=266869) and here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267148):

Solid Tea Party Backing
Smear Machine
Candidates Everywhere
Project Iowa
Project New Hampshire
Project South Carolina

This is about building a grassroots machine that can successfully elect candidates nationwide, wherever there is a viable race.

I'm posting this in my thread listed in my signature. DjLoti, excellent idea!

RonPaulCult
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I would like to offer my services to you on this project. I have a degree in media production and have years of experience in television, but my first love has always been radio. If I can help - please let me know.

nate895
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Cool, did you read my radio idea? I think it would work perfectly in your plan to win Iowa and SC. The benefits of a radio station are posted above

That could go along with it, yes. My main points are the domination of the traditional media, which I think will still dominate politics for the next decade or so, possibly longer. Radio is part of the traditional media. After we get those six projects underway, I think we should start trying to setup radio stations across the country. I am not sure how much money that would cost, however.

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I would like to offer my services to you on this project. I have a degree in media production and have years of experience in television, but my first love has always been radio. If I can help - please let me know.

Definitely! I'm hoping this idea gains steam. This would be a great grassroots project that lots of people could help with (musicians too). I think it's just 100000x better then a blimp. And at a significantly lower cost!!

Elwar
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Kick ass DjLoTi...you'd mentioned this a while back.

wizardwatson
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
It's great to see people jumping into the "what next" mindset and coming up with grass roots ideas. I really want to jump into this when I get back in December from my month long trip to India. I've been bookmarking grass roots idea threads for a while and I'm adding this one (already had Nate's and Deborah's subscribed).

I'd suggest people start likewise subscribing to grass roots idea threads and try to get a list of "movement assets", ie who the programmers are, videographers, artists, researchers, actual politicians (gunny, thomas-in-ky, etc.)

Lots I'd like to help with now, but as I said, gone for a month. My best advice is to simply get RPF organizers and those who want to organize along these ideas on lists so we know who to talk to and who to ask about progress updates.

My $0.02

nate895
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
How about we schedule a meeting for CPAC to discuss how we are doing on our separate grassroots projects? I intend on going, especially now that my mom lives in NOVA (where I am right now). We can all get together and talk about our ideas and what projects could be fruitful and which are a waste of time and precious resources right now.

nate895
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Definitely! I'm hoping this idea gains steam. This would be a great grassroots project that lots of people could help with (musicians too). I think it's just 100000x better then a blimp. And at a significantly lower cost!!

Almost anything is better than a blimp. Blimp gets you the protest vote as a third party candidate, and that's about it.

wizardwatson
11-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Almost anything is better than a blimp. Blimp gets you the protest vote as a third party candidate, and that's about it.

I remember a guy at the Iowa thing back in '07 was a builder of those lit up boxes that you can put on your car to advertise stuff. Better than hauling a trailer behind and its legal.

I think it'd be awesome if everywhere we had RP support in every city we had Ron Paul-mobiles advertising websites and RP's candidacy (or whoever's). Better this than the guy I saw here in Topeka with the 9/11 was an inside job trailer (in 2010).

Matt Collins
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Lots of startup $$$$

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Lots of startup $$$$

It's sad actually. Millions are thrown at political campaigns but when it comes to a liberty media start up (something that could potentially reach an audience of millions of people everyday), money is all of a sudden an obstacle.

I doubt there is a talent problem either. There is probably enough talent in the liberty movement for a media start up to tap into, employ, and redefine media.

Wyurm
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM

I remember staying up late at night when you first started up Ron Paul Radio. Good times. Music is a powerful messenger and can often reach people that don't want to listen to talk. Dividing time between liberty oriented music and talk shows would be a great idea.

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Lots of startup $$$$

According to the person who contacted me in 2007, it would cost around $150,000 to lease a radio station for a year. If you add the costs of gas and food for people, it could probably be done quite easily for less then $250,000 a year.

Now, we do need to find this guy (or someone) again who will give us a good deal like that... but I think it could be done. Keep in mind this will be for an AM radio station

I remember staying up late at night when you first started up Ron Paul Radio. Good times. Music is a powerful messenger and can often reach people that don't want to listen to talk. Dividing time between liberty oriented music and talk shows would be a great idea.

Yeahhh! Wyurm! If I remember correctly you were one of the originals, back when we only had like 9 listeners!! =P Those were some seriously good times.

purplechoe
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
http://republicbroadcasting.org/

nate895
11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
According to the person who contacted me in 2007, it would cost around $150,000 to lease a radio station for a year. If you add the costs of gas and food for people, it could probably be done quite easily for less then $250,000 a year.

Now, we do need to find this guy (or someone) again who will give us a good deal like that... but I think it could be done. Keep in mind this will be for an AM radio station

The operators could get a profit off of it by running advertisements. What I'd do is get together a million or two, setup shop in Des Moines (political spot), and get some advertisement for your station. You might take a loss over the first year, but you could easily start making a profit in the second. Use the success of the venture (should it succeed) to stir up some investment in larger markets.

nate895
11-04-2010, 07:19 PM

That can be a useful programming start.

UtahApocalypse
11-04-2010, 07:29 PM
There is also TV as a possibility.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=265629

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, TV is a bit more expensive, with more expensive equipment. That's why I think radio is the best way to go. I like your post, but I think the area isn't particularly best for a major investment via grassroots, ya know? I think it should be a primary state, for sure

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Right now, the guy just said, "..and the jewish community is not monolithic pro-Isreal.... unfortunately, for the most part, the jewish community is in the pro-Isreal camp, and fanatically so, but there is opposition....."

Talking about the connection between Isreal and the military and politicians.

It's very 'conspiratorial'. It seems so to me. My radio will be fun, and normal, not conspiratorial.

This is the difference between being 'on the fringes' and 'legit'. A real radio station will make us legit. I tried to make a clear point about being a more normal, typical radio station. We do not need to be 'edgy' to get listeners. At least, I don't think so. We didn't need it for Ron Paul radio, and I don't see anything more successful then Ron Paul radio that is 'edgy', besides Alex Jones, who has been known to pioneer his self-interests over other well-intentioned activists.

purplechoe
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Right now, the guy just said, "..and the jewish community is not monolithic pro-Isreal.... unfortunately, for the most part, the jewish community is in the pro-Isreal camp, and fanatically so, but there is opposition....."

Talking about the connection between Isreal and the military and politicians.

It's very 'conspiratorial'. It seems so to me. My radio will be fun, and normal, not conspiratorial.

This is the difference between being 'on the fringes' and 'legit'. A real radio station will make us legit. I tried to make a clear point about being a more normal, typical radio station. We do not need to be 'edgy' to get listeners. At least, I don't think so. We didn't need it for Ron Paul radio, and I don't see anything more successful then Ron Paul radio that is 'edgy', besides Alex Jones, who has been known to pioneer his self-interests over other well-intentioned activists.

They have different hosts which talk about different topics. That particular host speaks about Zionism. I would recommend John Stadtmiller (owner of the network) show from 3-5 EST, they also had an outstanding host Robby Noel (following Stadtmiller) who was an expert on business, gold, etc... but he went back to Africa (he's white, but born there) because it was scarring him what was happening here in the States. His site: http://robbynoel.com/

Also they have Alan Watt 6-7 EST, in my opinion one of THE EXPERTS on all things esoteric...

I recommend you listen to the station every Tuesday 3-5 EST when they have Bob Chapman (his site http://theintrnationalforecaster.com/ ) on the show. The guy has been fighting for liberty for about 50+ years and even knows G. Edward Griffin from the 60's when they used to pass out leaflets warning people about what the things we are fighting for today.

BuddyRey
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I love this idea, LoTi! I remember back in the days of Ron Paul Radio just how fun and informative that was. It's an extraordinary comfort sometimes just to be able to hear another human voice articulate the thoughts that have been running through your head for so long; a reassurance of "normalcy" perhaps...or maybe even a shared revelry in abject weirdness that makes you forget why you were ashamed of being weird in the first place. Either way, it's a wonderful technology to be able to rally around. Let me know if you're looking for some help on the creative end (scripts, voiceovers, etc.) This is really exciting!

politicsNproverbs
11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
FYI: There's a fairly new website, online since April 2010, called RADIO & TV DEALS:
http://www.radiotvdeals.com

It's a legit site, set up by a lady long time in the biz. Station owners list their For Sales & prospective buyers then make contact with Sellers through the site. Only serious inquiries are accepted.

They say it is definitely a buyer's market.

The cheapest prices are for "dark" (off air) stations, or those who have not upgraded to digital.

Of course the fully functioning stations, especially in big cities & with higher market ranks, are Very Pricey, whether Full Power TV or FM stations.

AM's are cheaper, as are LP (low power) TV's.

They also have CP listings (station construction permits).

They have a site search engine but it's not that great, imho, but it will suffice. Just pick any state & start reading.

You can also sign up for emails for any new stations that are listed.

What I've found interesting since I found the site about 2 months ago, is the number of Sellers who state their reason for wanting to sell as "bad health." :-/ ??? Maybe they are older guys, so you might run across a good deal at the right time if the Seller is anxious to unload!

Many others say they "want to pursue other interests."

And some are bankrupt & in receivership, etc.

Here is just a sample to show how the listings look...

http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35.html?m8:search%5Bgroup%5D=933726;search%5Bneste d%5D=1&i2039437:page=2
(...)
Florida*
AM Station
Market Rank** Mkt 201+
Asking Price** $200,000.00
Part of a Combo or Group?** Stand Alone
Seller Financing Available?** Will Seller Finance
Will Seller LMA?** Will Consider LMA
Ad Headline** Florida Fulltime AM
Description**
Class: Fulltime
Coverage: Central Florida
Power: 1,000 Day, 77 Watts Night
Equipment: Good-Excellent
Real Estate: 2.5 Acres & building
Reason to sell: Owner in bad health
(...)

Here's a sample FM station, as a comparison...

http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35.html?m8:search%5Bgroup%5D=933726;search%5Bneste d%5D=1&i2039437:page=3
(...)*
FM - Full Power, Commercial
Market Rank** Mkt 51–100
Asking Price** $280,000.00
Part of a Combo or Group?** Part of a Combo or Group
Seller Financing Available?** Consider Seller Financing
Will Seller LMA?** Will Consider LMA
Ad Headline** Florida Gulf Coast - REDUCED!! -- Tallahassee Market AM/FM Group
Description**
Class: A, with CP for 25kW C3
Coverage: Tallahassee market
Digital: Yes
Hours: Fulltime
Equipment: Excellent
Real Estate: Included
Cash Flow: Positive
Reason to sell: Other interests
(...)

I have zero radio or TV knowledge but have had "fanciful ideas" of my own (unrelated to politics) & that's how I discovered the above site a few months ago.

And I thought it was especially funny you said you would live in the station, lol, as that is exactly what I was thinking. There's a "dark" TV station in Key West... :)

Noob
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Will it be AM, FM, Internet or Satellite?

DjLoTi
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Awesome post PoliticsNproverbs!! w00t w00t!! That's exactly like what I was looking for!! Awesome!!!

Noob: I imagine it would be AM, possibly FM, but also available online.

tangent4ronpaul
11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
DjLoTi,

Loved what you did last election cycle, however your current idea of a physical radio station looks rather impractical and limiting. For a physical, full power, non-pirate station, that means it can't move. 3,000,000 people live in Iowa, of which only 50,000 live in Ames Iowa and that would be about the limit of your potential broadcast audience. Well, however many of them like your station better than the other 44 radio stations in the area:

http://www.ontheradio.net/cities/ames_ia.aspx

As there don't seem to be any radio stations for sale in IA currently (and your price was sorta low balled) that means building one from scratch. So after some high priced consultant fees you get to send in some paperwork to the FCC and you'll get an approval or not in 9-12 months. You didn't want to start broadcasting till January 2012, right?

Stations for sale:
http://www.radiostationsforsale.net/

What I'm trying to get at is that for a political movement, owning the transport media for the message is a loose/loose ROI so long as the FCC is involved. Other things are still viable:

Internet radio
Internet TV
using someone else's station (college/community radio) w/ our staffing & content
using someone else's station (college/community radio) w/ our content (CD's of RP music, etc)
Low power/unlicensed radio (Linda - granny warrior - had a station in her RV and broadcast at events)

Last time there was some great stuff produced! - but there was a lot of cat fighting and narcissism too. There were several competing Internet radio and TV stations - and not a one was interested in helping others create their own version. This is completely different from the JustinTV and C-SPAN model where they do enable people. Where they downplay media personalities.

There is a significant advantage in syndication. Where you have a network that is mostly local programming, but a certain amount of content is national. That means all these micro-audiences add up to a huge audience and it's worth the attention of those that are looking for a lot of attention (politicians)

At the other end of the spectrum - micro-broadcasting can pay off - its very local, but easy to advertise

We can do better than we are....

-t

Nate-ForLiberty
11-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Why not look for a station near Auburn, Alabama? Take advantage of Auburn University and the Mises Institute. Auburn U will provide plenty of young people and Mises Inst would be a wonderful resource of media and personalities.

there is one in Union Springs, Alabama >1 hour from Auburn.
http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35.html?m8:search[group]=933572;search[nested]=1

politicsNproverbs
11-05-2010, 01:26 AM
You're welcome, DJ, lol.

Politics or not, since you're passionate about the medium anyway, & being a DJ, it might be a good career path either way.

Online AND brick/mortar would be ideal, though Tangent listed some pertinent realities. I would imagine having to deal with FCC red tape could be a quagmire, not to mention slow-moving.

Since there's a lot of very smart people at RPF, you may not need it, but the SCORE small biz org has free mentoring for various industries:
http://counseling.score.org/AvectraScore/secure/SearchExpertise.aspx

I have no idea how good they are, but if you do an Industry search at their above link, under the letter "R," the first listing is "Radio & TV Broadcasting." Check that & hit Submit & it will give a list of volunteer biz mentors with experience in that industry you could contact.

~~~

And speaking of the FCC, if you end up in a brick & mortar station, just be sure to answer the door when the FCC knocks. (If you're living there that shouldn't be a problem, lol. ;) ) The Broadcast Law Blog posted this yesterday...

An FCC Enforcement Bureau District Office today issued a Notice of Apparent Liability, proposing to fine an AM licensee $25,000 for not having a meaningful staff presence at the station's main studio...
http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2010/11/articles/fcc-fines/25000-fine-for-station-in-an-lma-not-having-staff-and-a-public-file-at-the-main-studio/index.html
:D

~~~~~

"For who has despised the day of small things?" (Zech. 4:10)

~~~~~

justinc.1089
11-05-2010, 02:31 AM
If you can figure out how to do this, as in radio playing that an AM/FM car radio can tune in to, in one or a combination of New Hampshire, Iowa, South Carolina, then GO FOR IT.

I live in South Carolina, Horry County its in the Northeastern corner, so if you need me to do anything here to help you I would be glad to do it. I have no experience that would be helpful, but if there's a way you would find me helpful just let me know.

I think going internet and broadcasting through Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina should be the ultimate goals. I have a feeling somehow going through already existing stations will be easier and faster, like buying already existing stations or something.

BuddyRey
11-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Morning bump!

tangent4ronpaul
11-05-2010, 07:22 AM
//

Travlyr
11-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Can we be legit, or will we remain on the internet? I want a studio, a station, and the real thing.

However, it's not up to me. It's up to you, and everybody here. So fire away with questions and comments =)

While Nate-For-Liberty has a good list started, Liberty Radio and TV is a great idea. In order for the liberty movement to win big, we must be on the air.
Some questions:

Would this project be "for profit?"
What is the mission statement?
What type of organization? Corporation, Partnership, etc.

TruckinMike
11-05-2010, 09:17 AM
DjLoTi - GREAT IDEA bring back RPR!! Here is an idea that I know that you have contemplated:

Think.... Microbroadcast stations, all across America - 100 to 1000 milliwatts strong blowing the doors off your neighborhood! With strategically placed signs, your entire neighborhood will be listening to RPR.

for less than $100 one can build a station that would easily reach a 1 mile radius.

Think "Ramsey FM10", plus a home-brew 3 stage filter and a 1000 milliwatt home-brew amp. Easy Filters and Easy amp plans can be found easily on the web (http://www.solorb.com/elect/microfm/).

It sounds so easy we could all easily do it - easy.

TMike:D

And if you are really adventurous try 10 Watts of in your face power with Free Radio Berkeley's kits, plans, or pre-built projects. Check out http://www.freeradio.org/howto.php
(http://www.freeradio.org/howto.php) and watch their videos -- Great info!

here are some of their useful micro broadcast Document links (http://www.scribd.com/freeradio)

DjLoTi
11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
There is a FM station in NH for 300k, and some cool cheaper stations in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee that seem like pretty good deals. I have some replies below

As there don't seem to be any radio stations for sale in IA currently (and your price was sorta low balled) that means building one from scratch.

Other things are still viable:
Internet radio (included)
Internet TV (viable on 3rd party website)
using someone else's station (college/community radio) w/ our staffing & content (like leasing)
Low power/unlicensed radio (Linda - granny warrior - had a station in her RV and broadcast at events)

Last time there was some great stuff produced! - but there was a lot of cat fighting and narcissism too. There were several competing Internet radio and TV stations - and not a one was interested in helping others create their own version. This is completely different from the JustinTV and C-SPAN model where they do enable people. Where they downplay media personalities.

There is a significant advantage in syndication. Where you have a network that is mostly local programming, but a certain amount of content is national. That means all these micro-audiences add up to a huge audience and it's worth the attention of those that are looking for a lot of attention (politicians)

At the other end of the spectrum - micro-broadcasting can pay off - its very local, but easy to advertise

T, thanks for the response. Initially I was thinking we could lease out the station(s). The suggestions here have been to actually purchase a radio station. A benefit from leasing a radio station, is that it should be cheaper. The downside is, in the end, we walk away with nothing. Actually buying a radio station is more expensive, but unlike something like the blimp, we own a tangible asset. If we lease, we're just 'renting' a radio station

I agree with you about the competing internet radio stations and cat-fighting. I started RonPaulradio because I am a DJ and I knew it was the best way i could get involved. I did it because it was fun, and not for the money. If Ron Paul was elected in 2008, RonPaulradio.com would have been extremely popular and possibly valuable. Some people wanted to own part of the website for helping me, and when I said no, a bunch of my hosts started a new website and tried to 'beat' me or something.

My experience in internet radio is primarily with jungletrain.net. Jungletrain.net is one of the top DnB websites in Europe. It has been going on for nearly 10 years. They consistently reach 250 listeners a day. But the people who run the website have normal jobs. They don't make a ton of money from the website. They do it because they love DnB. So when people started telling me they wanted to get paid and they wanted to own the website, it just seemed so foreign to me, because JT has had djs for years and years, and i'm pretty sure no one gets paid, but it's still a great website because everyone comes because they love DnB. My hope was that people would rally because they loved RP.

I didn't make that much money, but I didn't really ask for much either. It was never about the money for me. And the competition on internet radio is so brutal, the guys that left totally tried to take me down. Someone else tried to call himself 'Ron Paul radio' and started a radio show on a website, which confused people. It was a confusing process.

But that is why I want a real radio station. Because then, we can become 'legit'. We can syndicate Peter Schiffs radio show. We probably couldn't do that with just an internet radio station. I agree that syndicating is a real gem of an opportunity.

While Nate-For-Liberty has a good list started, Liberty Radio and TV is a great idea. In order for the liberty movement to win big, we must be on the air.
Some questions:

Would this project be "for profit?"
What is the mission statement?
What type of organization? Corporation, Partnership, etc.

It would be 'for profit' so we could have advertising and stuff. I think that would be the best way to go. Plus I'm pretty sure we can say things like 'it would be great if we had a change in 2012', other partisan statements.

I think the mission statement is basically using the airwaves to help advance the awareness of liberty and freedom, as well as being a provider of information throughout the 2012 election. Also I think there can be music. The programming is really quite flexible. Programming is actually very easy. There is plenty of content we can use to 'fill time'. But I think a radio station will give us access to candidates and events unlike any other viable alternative.

The type of org is kind of confusing. I would like to be a non-profit, but then we can't be partisan or w/e. I think if we *buy* a radio station, any large donors we have I think deserve to own a percentage of the radio station. If we get advertising, I think whoever gets the advertising is entitled to a % of the sale. Money could also be applied for advertising the radio station locally, or hosting local events. Or we could use money to buy low-power transmitters for people.

DjLoTi - GREAT IDEA bring back RPR!! Here is an idea that I know that you have contemplated:

Think.... Microbroadcast stations, all across America - 100 to 1000 milliwatts strong blowing the doors off your neighborhood! With strategically placed signs, your entire neighborhood will be listening to RPR.

for less than $100 one can build a station that would easily reach a 1 mile radius.

Think "Ramsey FM10", plus a home-brew 3 stage filter and a 1000 milliwatt home-brew amp. Easy Filters and Easy amp plans can be found easily on the web (http://www.solorb.com/elect/microfm/).

It sounds so easy we could all easily do it - easy.

TMike:D

And if you are really adventurous try 10 Watts of in your face power with Free Radio Berkeley's kits, plans, or pre-built projects. Check out http://www.freeradio.org/howto.php
(http://www.freeradio.org/howto.php) and watch their videos -- Great info!

here are some of their useful micro broadcast Document links (http://www.scribd.com/freeradio)

Tmike,
Great post! This stuff doesn't look too hard. I think these would probably be the best way to maximize our coverage area. I still think it would be good to have a real radio station, so we could have studio equipment and stuff, but with these things I'm not sure if it matters where the studio is!

DeadheadForPaul
11-07-2010, 11:57 PM
the return of Ron Paul radio w/ Dj Loti?

::has flashbacks to December 2007::

Good times back then :)

Loved the Iowa broadcast too - listened all day

nate895
11-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I would say go for the FM station. I don't have any money to invest with right now, but I'll host! LOL. I crack myself up sometimes.

DjLoTi
11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
haha

Tangoland
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Ron Paul Radio was good times...

http://www.aubroadcasting.com if you want to start your very own station will provide the technology for you.

payme_rick
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Sounds cool, I'd be willing to help somehow if I see something I can do...

On my own I'm thinking of some ideas I can do... Have to check the legality of these things first...

TruckinMike
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Tmike,
Great post! This stuff doesn't look too hard. I think these would probably be the best way to maximize our coverage area. I still think it would be good to have a real radio station, so we could have studio equipment and stuff, but with these things I'm not sure if it matters where the studio is!

I in no way was inferring to not have a real radio station. I meant in conjuction with a real boots on the ground RPR station.

My thoughts...

An army of unauthorized RPR micro-broadcoasters could very well change this nation. And being unauthorized and rogue removes any liability from the REAL RPR station where ever it happens to be. Also Advertisers would get an added benefit of having the pirate stations - of course that point could not be used to sale air-time. ;);)

Another plus...Streaming micro-broadcasting of a real RPR station is also way of contributing on a continual basis. Without much out of pocket expense.

If the Ron Paul folks make RPR happen, I'll do my best to make pirate RPR happen.(without your consent of course:D)

TMike

My FM10
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2934269043_d850d05002_m.jpg
Note: the FM10 is a bit unstable. For unmonitored use, the unit must be placed in a temperature stable environment (cardboard box w/small lightbulb). The FM10 will suffice if you can't afford ------ the FM25 $139, or the FM30, $199. Both have stable (PLL) broadcast ready features, no filter manufacturing required. --- But they still require a small inexpensive amp (<$20 to make).

osan
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
So, obviously the power of the grassroots is great. The question I pose is, what are the big things we should do for the 2012 election? One thing I think could be the best tool for us during the 2012 election is a radio station...

Good idea IMO, but as you put it, a lot of work and nontrivial financing if this is to be done in a way that will lead it to being taken seriously.

Where would financing come from? If you have the $$, getting people on board should not be that difficult, particularly if they are being paid. It would seem to be difficult at best to run such an operation mostly on volunteers.

Do you have a plan? How would it sustain itself? Would there be advertising?

Deborah K
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I in no way was inferring to not have a real radio station. I meant in conjuction with a real boots on the ground RPR station.

My thoughts...

An army of unauthorized RPR micro-broadcoasters could very well change this nation. And being unauthorized and rogue removes any liability from the REAL RPR station where ever it happens to be. Also Advertisers would get an added benefit of having the pirate stations - of course that point could not be used to sale air-time. ;);)

Another plus...Streaming micro-broadcasting of a real RPR station is also way of contributing on a continual basis. Without much out of pocket expense.

If the Ron Paul folks make RPR happen, I'll do my best to make pirate RPR happen.(without your consent of course:D)

TMike

My FM10
Note: the FM10 is a bit unstable. For unmonitored use, the unit must be placed in a temperature stable environment (cardboard box w/small lightbulb). The FM10 will suffice if you can't afford ------ the FM25 $139, or the FM30, $199. Both have stable (PLL) broadcast ready features, no filter manufacturing required. --- But they still require a small inexpensive amp (<$20 to make).

Hey Mike! You're a HAM right? I got my license a while back. Maybe we could talk sometime.

MelissaWV
11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Deja vu...

Promontorium
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Not a fan of donating to a for profit radio station in Iowa.

Put it online, regularly post the good stuff as a podcast available on iTunes. Have the radio stations website able to do video also.

Instead of paying reporters to go to events, let people who are already there do the reporting, perhaps with a host directing call ins.

Leave open slots for average people to get an hour, take applications/auditions, provide info on how an average joe can broadcast, technically speaking. Invite the good ones to come back at better hours.

Love the simulcast idea, I'm sure no one would want to say no, don't know if company contracts/ advertiser issues would arise, that's OP's problem.

If, IF it can be financially supported, expand to AM.

tpreitzel
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM

My thoughts...

TMike

My FM10

Sounds tempting ... ;) Really, as a movement, we need to exploit the use of micro-broadcasting .

EvilEngineer
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
o.O resurrection of Ron Paul radio?

DjLoTi
11-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Yeah I just emphasize the real radio station because, unlike jungletrain.net that plays only DnB, RonPaulradio was the first to break news, and occasionally reached 800-1000+ listeners online. I think it would be a lot easier to have a central command space for the best possible outcome for this idea.

An army of unauthorized RPR micro-broadcoasters could very well change this nation. And being unauthorized and rogue removes any liability from the REAL RPR station where ever it happens to be.

TMike

Haha yeah, well I think if someone sets up a website where people can donate money for micro-broadcasters, that is totally unaffiliated with our website, I guess there would be nothing anybody could do? It would be someone elses responsibility I guess. I don't think we could avoid responsibility if we used the money for this project to buy transmitters.

But I *do* think that maybe it would be a better idea to get a cheaper radio station, like one in Mississippi, and maybe we could find ways to help increase our coverage, through the internet or something.

I also think maybe it would be cool if we could have live video streaming from people with their Iphone, especially from big events. I think we could have different options online, but for the radio, there would be 1 primary broadcast.

Good idea IMO, but as you put it, a lot of work and nontrivial financing if this is to be done in a way that will lead it to being taken seriously.

Where would financing come from? If you have the $$, getting people on board should not be that difficult, particularly if they are being paid. It would seem to be difficult at best to run such an operation mostly on volunteers.

Do you have a plan? How would it sustain itself? Would there be advertising?

I would think with such high unemployment, and hopefully somewhat of a high demand of liberty activists willing to help out, we could minimize the costs of hiring high-priced staff. We can raise 75k to buy a radio station, but we'll still need to pay monthly electricity bills, and other additional costs, so it would be a good idea to raise more. My hope is that, if the grassroots can fly a $600,000 blimp, that we could start maybe $100,000 radio station. I think the benefits are greater. $100k is I think almost as much as someone once paid for 1 advertisement in a newspaper.

Not a fan of donating to a for profit radio station in Iowa.

Put it online, regularly post the good stuff as a podcast available on iTunes. Have the radio stations website able to do video also.

Instead of paying reporters to go to events, let people who are already there do the reporting, perhaps with a host directing call ins.

Leave open slots for average people to get an hour, take applications/auditions, provide info on how an average joe can broadcast, technically speaking. Invite the good ones to come back at better hours.

Love the simulcast idea, I'm sure no one would want to say no, don't know if company contracts/ advertiser issues would arise, that's OP's problem.

If, IF it can be financially supported, expand to AM.

I think having streaming video would be better on a 3rd party website. But I also think it would be great to have multiple video streams available on 1 webpage. I am not much of a web developer, however.

If Peter Schiff is still doing his show, he has a 2 hour slot available on our radio. At least that's what I would say. I, like many other people, love the Peter Schiff show.

I'm sure we would get a lot of people to apply for a show, and we could also get a list of current shows we like, and see if we can make a schedule with them. I don't listen to talk radio too much, but I would definitely start with the Peter Schiff show.

Having a studio makes running a radio station, internet or not, likely, much easier. Trying to run RonPaulradio out of my bedroom for 2012 doesn't sound like the best idea. In fact, I'm not sure it would even work. It would definitely be a lot harder to run the radio station from my house. I could set up a studio, but I'm still a little short of equipment. It would help a lot if I could get $$$ for a mic and a few other things. I could itemize a list.

The point is, I think if we can raise $600,000 for a blimp, I'm sure we could raise $200,000 for a radio station for a year. If we choose not to do a radio station, what are we going to do? Spend 400k running a TV ad? Spending 100k on a newspaper ad? There are multiple, in-depth, comprehensive benefits to having a radio station, and compared to the cost of many other advertising or grassroots ideas, I think the cost/benefit of a radio station is extremely high.

Last time I talked about getting a radio station, it was early in the campaign, and not enough people were really interested in super-big grassroots projects. Like Melissa said, it is deja vu. Here we are in the critical planning stages for 2012. If we don't do a radio station, what idea would be better?

TruckinMike
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey Mike! You're a HAM right? I got my license a while back. Maybe we could talk sometime.

I PM'ed you.

TMike

Jordan
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Speaking purely in terms of marketing ROI, I don't think this is a very good idea. You're going to pay 3-4x annual earnings plus fixtures for a year's worth of marketing to few listeners.

Those $280,000 price tags are ridunkulus. You can own the airwaves with a media buy with that kind of budget. Granted, you have nothing left to show for it at the end of the schedule, but you'd be on stations with multiples the ratings.

I think the benefits are greater. $100k is I think almost as much as someone once paid for 1 advertisement in a newspaper.

Full page and with circulation in the millions. Compare that to an AM station with a broadcast radius of a few miles, in one state, in a #200 or lower DMA, for one year. :-/

DjLoTi
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
But what does it allow us to do? Host local events, broadcast live from events, interview candidates 1-on-1, allows people like us to ask OUR questions, broadcast backstage at debates, break news when it first comes out... ect, ect. Yeah, we could 'blitz' the media for a few weeks...

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. But I honestly believe a radio station would be better tool for the grassroots then an ad buy.

And with RPR in 2007, if we can keep up the internet presence, as well as Tmikes idea, I think we could reach a decent audience. Certainly it would be more successful then last time I imagine. And last time, we were in the top 15 internet radio stations on shoutcast (the main internet radio station website)

And plus, it is probably the best way to reach out to supporters and musicians, and create a 'community' project. Like I said, I think it fills an emotional need. When the Nov. 5th money bomb happened, and we had 1400 listeners, and on the radio we were going ballistic with excitement, I really felt it brought us all together. And during the rough spots of the campaign, we can let loose and have fun. We can also discuss our issues on the air.

Again, none of these things will come with an 'ad buy'. JMO

puppetmaster
11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I am almost ready to launch his type of thing already. I am just finishing up on my second studio then we will talk....not in Iowa though.......I currently run a small home shopping biz and am branching out!

PM e and we can talk

specsaregood
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
My thoughts...

Why not do it legally and get a low-power license?

DjLoTi
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I am almost ready to launch his type of thing already. I am just finishing up on my second studio then we will talk....not in Iowa though.......I currently run a small home shopping biz and am branching out!

PM e and we can talk

Sweet! In Nevada? That would be great! I have a sliver of hope someone would already own a studio and would be interested in helping!

TruckinMike
11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Why not do it legally and get a low-power license?

The FCC certified transmitters are very expensive, not to mention problems associated with finding an un-owned spot on the FM dial(AM much easier), time constraints, hassle, hoop jumping, etc..

It can be done, just not with the numbers we need. And for the added effort and expense, the added radius of transmission it just isn't worth it collectively. IMO Not to say that if someone wants to invest that heavily into the movement with a 50 watt LPFM station- More Power to'em. yes, 50 watts is GREAT! And much better than one 1 watt station.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12743961/Broadcast-Range-Chart my experience has shown that 1 watt will cover a 1 mile radius with the antenna over the roof tops of neighborhoods 25-35 feet (the higher the better). The signal actually goes further, but some receivers are not sensitive enough to pull the signal out of the noise.

from Free Radio Berkeley:

A general guideline is that is takes 4 times the power to double the broadcast distance.
Further, raising the antenna height by just 10-15 feet or 3-4 meters will, in many cases, be
more effective than increasing broadcast power.

A one mile radius covers a HUGE number of people in the suburbs. Even more in the cities. However, large cities have an enormous amount of radio noise, so your one watt radius will be reduced(in some areas substantially).

PX50 - Professional 50 Watt Synthesized FM Stereo Transmitter
Only: $1995.00 FCC certified Low Power FM transmitterhttp://www.ramseyelectronics.com/images/fm/px50-w.gif

PXB5006 - 50W FM Station-In-A-Box
Only: $4295.00 FCC Certified transmitterhttp://www.ramseyelectronics.com/images/hk/PXB5006-w.gif

Note: The FCC is not in the habit of harassing (very lower power) unlicensed stations if they keep their noses clean.

Broadcast with very low power <1 watt IMO, max 10 watts but very cautiously
NEVER broadcast over an existing station
Including very weak stations
Don't be stupid - Like cursing on the air
have a stable transmit signal- no wandering transmit frequencies

And watch Complete Guide to Building an FM Broadcast Station on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/4553821)from free radio berkeley (http://www.freeradio.org)

puppetmaster
11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Sweet! In Nevada? That would be great! I have a sliver of hope someone would already own a studio and would be interested in helping!

yes in Nevada for now.....we are already set up... we could be live tomorrow if we wanted to. Our studio and equipment is available 16 hours a day right now ( we use it the other time) and when we finish the next phase then we will have 3 studios. and one devoted to freedom

DjLoTi
11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Bump =)

+ thread included, 4 memories =) http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=17632

Bruno
11-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Bump =)

+ thread included, 4 memories =) http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=17632

There's at least three people in that thread that are banned now, lol. :D

libertythor
11-12-2010, 01:22 AM
There's at least three people in that thread that are banned now, lol. :D

Ghemminger, Spotics, Joseph the Libertarian

DjLoTi
11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
aw.. two 1-star ratings. If people really think this idea is worth a 1-star, why not elaborate?

libertythor
11-12-2010, 02:07 AM
I remember back when the primaries were in their heat that RPR was struggling to find a way to generate revenue from sponsorship. This is something that ought to be seriously placed into motion as the station is being formed and not months later.

This is an opportunity to learn from last time and make it a greater and farther reaching tool than it was before.

If you can manage to get a broadcast license in a Mexican border town, the wattage allowed would be much greater and the operating costs lower. AM stations that broadcast with high power out of Texas border towns get coverage out into the plains states, especially in the middle of the night. One in Tijuana would get coverage all the way up to LA!

MyLibertyStuff
11-12-2010, 02:18 AM
yes in Nevada for now.....we are already set up... we could be live tomorrow if we wanted to. Our studio and equipment is available 16 hours a day right now ( we use it the other time) and when we finish the next phase then we will have 3 studios. and one devoted to freedom

Seems hopeful!

TheHumblePhysicist
11-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I think it should be talk radio. Here is the basic format of a talk radio show:

When you are small, you say really radical, inflammatory things, and hammer the big guys, such as Rush and Hannity. With luck, they'll mention your name, and then you'll get hundreds of thousands of listeners.

Once you grow to a certain size, you can become more moderate, pull headlines down off Drudge and bash Obama. Then bash Obama some more. Then keep bashing Obama.

As long as you have a fiery host with a distinct personality, the show will be self-sustaining in no time. Look at the success of a crackpot like Alex Jones, all he needed was a strong personality.

WE NEED A LARGE, NATIONWIDE LIBERTARIAN TALKSHOW IN ORDER TO INFLUENCE THE RIGHT WING OF THE COUNTRY.

This can also be a jumping off point to pass legislation. You're entire audience becomes a constituency.

libertythor
11-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Perhaps certain consecutive time slots can be talk only, and others mainly music.

When you are small, you say really radical, inflammatory things, and hammer the big guys, such as Rush and Hannity. With luck, they'll mention your name, and then you'll get hundreds of thousands of listeners.

Once you grow to a certain size, you can become more moderate, pull headlines down off Drudge and bash Obama. Then bash Obama some more. Then keep bashing Obama.

As long as you have a fiery host with a distinct personality, the show will be self-sustaining in no time. Look at the success of a crackpot like Alex Jones, all he needed was a strong personality.

WE NEED A LARGE, NATIONWIDE LIBERTARIAN TALKSHOW IN ORDER TO INFLUENCE THE RIGHT WING OF THE COUNTRY.

This can also be a jumping off point to pass legislation. You're entire audience becomes a constituency.

MyLibertyStuff
11-12-2010, 02:22 AM

Lets do this with someone a little bit less sinister-sounding than Alex Jones.

libertythor
11-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Lets do this with someone a little bit less sinister-sounding than Alex Jones.

Or at least have a lineup that balances itself out. One or two slots can be for the Savage and Jones sorts. The rest can have ones that sound more like Ingraham, Norri, or Beck, but please, no Dr. Laura types! (I am referring to tone, not philosophy.)

Bman
11-12-2010, 02:42 AM
IN all honesty. More so than a radio station we need to start our own 24 hour cable TV news network.:cool:

TheHumblePhysicist
11-12-2010, 03:11 AM
IN all honesty. More so than a radio station we need to start our own 24 hour cable TV news network.:cool:

Radio is relatively cheap, and is easy to sell. Lets be honest, the people who listen are mostly conservative drones who constantly need their own opinion reinforced. How hard could it be for a couple of smart guys like us to conquer the market?

TV is really expensive, and really hard to break into. How are you going to get on the spot news without a network of reporters? How are you going to get any credibility or name recognition without the backing of a large entertainment channel?

No, start with radio. We conquer the news next.

RonPaulCult
11-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Speaking purely in terms of marketing ROI, I don't think this is a very good idea. You're going to pay 3-4x annual earnings plus fixtures for a year's worth of marketing to few listeners.

Those $280,000 price tags are ridunkulus. You can own the airwaves with a media buy with that kind of budget. Granted, you have nothing left to show for it at the end of the schedule, but you'd be on stations with multiples the ratings./

Every campaign will be "owning" the airwaves for the Presidential election. You know how it gets during election season - you can't avoid a political ad. They all blur together.

And you are quite right that if we invest in media buys - the money is gone - never to return - in some media guy's pockets. If only WE became the media guys!

RonPaulCult
11-12-2010, 03:44 AM
I suggest we set up a business. I suggest we sell shares of the radio station. One dollar per share. Any profit made from the radio station will be returned to the investors. After the election the station should be sold and the money should be returned to the shareholders.

I wouldn't expect this to be a great investment opportunity (but hey - who knows). Chances are we would get back a little less than we put in. Plus we would have to part with the money for a year or more. But we would get MOST of our money back once the station has been sold. I even think there's a strong possibility we would get ALL of the money back - and of course there's always the exciting possibility of gaining money too. Perhaps our programming is so good other stations pick it up and we have a new, highly profitable media company in hand.

There's really no reason NOT to do this. We've been able to raise amazing, amazing amounts of money in the past for projects in which you never see your dollars ever again. Here is one way we could get major exposure without paying much if anything for it.

Let's do it!

libertythor
11-12-2010, 04:09 AM
If a "brick and mortar" radio station is acquired, why sell it if we start getting revenue?

A good idea would be to start a "Liberty Radio Network" so that the effort can survive beyond the Ron Paul campaign. "Ron Paul Radio" can be a moniker for most of the programming during the campaign, much like Rush uses "EIB" for his program. By grounding the founding of the station in the general idea of a constitutional government, this can be the start of a nationwide radio network.

KurtBoyer25L
11-12-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm down, know people in the industry and will do whatever I can to help. Only one condition -- it's gotta be focused toward winning the Iowa primary and must make some effort to reach college kids there.

Agorism
11-12-2010, 04:17 AM
I keep listening to antiwar radio. I only like things that are content heavy rather than just conversational, and his interviews are pretty thorough i think.

danda
11-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Hey DJ... I remember RPR from the old days. well done sir, and good for you kickstarting things again.

My only suggestion would be to contact the owner of KSCO radio in Santa Cruz, CA of all places. I've heard them claim to one of (or perhaps the only) privately owned single-station talk-radio left in CA and they are supportive of liberty and the freedom agenda more than any other station around here. They even broadcast AJ, for better or worse.

I mention it because:

a) the owner might have practical advice for you.
b) there might be a possibility of syndicating shows / hosts between your two stations.
c) it just seems like an interesting connection something good could come of.

anyway, good luck!

FTL_Ian
11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
A good idea would be to start a "Liberty Radio Network" so that the effort can survive beyond the Ron Paul campaign.

Good news! The Liberty Radio Network already exists and features a dozen principled, liberty oriented shows that are not crackpot conspiracy shows, including AntiWar Radio with Scott Horton, Declare Your Independence with Ernest Hancock, Free Talk Live, Stefan Molyneux, Complete Liberty, and more! See the full lineup here: http://Shows.LRN.FM

Not only that, we have a page dedicated to helping you learn about running a micro radio station including hardware suggestions for different budgets at http://Broadcasat.LRN.FM

It'd be crazy if you raised $100k and then just bought one station on the AM band of all places. You will have failed right out the gate as AM will not reach 80% of the radio audience. For $100k, you could set up 100 micro radio stations in different markets around the country, on the FM band. I'd recommend you do that rather then obey the arbitrary diktats of the FCC bureaucracy as an obedient, bribe-paying station.

Of course, it's a simple matter to break away from LRN.FM's feed and go live-and-local for a local program or news break.

You can get our audio via internet streaming, free-to-air Ku-band satellite, and even telephone. Stations are already airing LRN.FM content in Manchester, Keene, Savannah, and other places.

Take a look at our programs and listen at http://LRN.FM and I think you'll agree that LRN.FM is a great way to plug-and-play programming into your new radio station.

Let me know if you have questions or how I can be of assistance.
Ian Freeman
Program Director, LRN.FM

RonPaulCult
11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
If a "brick and mortar" radio station is acquired, why sell it if we start getting revenue?

Because, it would be much easier to raise the funds if it's more of a loan than a donation.

This is a rare opportunity to do a big grassroots project without having to pay much if anything for it.

And keep in mind that we could keep it going online or we could sell the shares of people who want their money back to people who want to keep it going and then keep it going. Just so long as we honor the agreement of when we started the station.

CaseyJones
03-20-2011, 09:55 AM
bump

Immortal Technique
03-20-2011, 09:56 AM
this would be nice, we should get this done !

FTL_Ian
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Are you waiting for someone else to do it?

Joey Fuller
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
great idea.
i am a ron paul supporter/political blogger from TN that would be willing to help do podcasts or something...