PDA

View Full Version : What is Rand going to do with his practice??

Liberty_Mike
11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
This is just something I was interested about. What does Rand plan to do with his medical practice? Is he going to close it down, sell it, etc? Has anyone heard anything? Would be sad to see it just shut down. Hopefully he is working on selling it so or finding a partner to take over for the time being.

Bergie Bergeron
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
He's trying to keep it open, he's going to find out what are the rules about this.

DeadheadForPaul
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
How much time is the Congress actually in session during the year?

I've always figured that there are few physicians, dentists, and pharmacists in the Congress due to the fact that they probably have to pretty much give up their practice.

My dad is a physician, and I'm currently pursuing my degree in order to enter into the healthcare field myself. I honestly don't know how an ophthalmologist could possibly take off several months and still maintain a practice. Many of your patients have frequent check-ups and require care fairly often at unpredictable times. You could bring in a partner, but whenever you were in session up in D.C., your patients would have to see your partner, which would be an unmanageable burden for your partner since it would double his patient base. Additionally, it would be potentially detrimental to your patients' health and unfair to them.

It'll be tough

specsaregood
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
In a previous article it mentioned that he wants to keep it open and still practice on mondays.

Libertea Party
11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Not sure about this but I read somewhere that the goals of '94 Republican congress was to be back in the "district" every single week. I assume it applied to Senators as well.

DeadheadForPaul
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
FYI: A lot of his patient base is probably diabetic since many of them suffer from these issues. If he increased the number of lasik surgery patients and shifted his macular degeneration/other patients to a partner, it would probably be more do-able

DeadheadForPaul
11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
In a previous article it mentioned that he wants to keep it open and still practice on mondays.

If he could come back every single week, it could be done. If he disappears for an entire month at a time - less do-able. He will definitely need to decrease his patient base though.

A lot of physicians have satellite clinics where they practice in a different town once a week or even just twice a month

Matt Collins
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
It's not being shut down. They'll probably make a statement about it later on.

specsaregood
11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
If he could come back every single week, it could be done. If he disappears for an entire month at a time - less do-able. He will definitely need to decrease his patient base though.

Doesn't his pops go home every single weekend?

dannno
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
How much time is the Congress actually in session during the year?

I've always figured that there are few physicians, dentists, and pharmacists in the Congress due to the fact that they probably have to pretty much give up their practice.

My dad is a physician, and I'm currently pursuing my degree in order to enter into the healthcare field myself. I honestly don't know how an ophthalmologist could possibly take off several months and still maintain a practice. Many of your patients have frequent check-ups and require care fairly often at unpredictable times. You could bring in a partner, but whenever you were in session up in D.C., your patients would have to see your partner, which would be an unmanageable burden for your partner since it would double his patient base. Additionally, it would be potentially detrimental to your patients' health and unfair to them.

It'll be tough

Rand could find a wealthy partner who only wants to work part time and do a 6 month vs. 6 month deal with them. It will cut their salary in half, but they would both get 6 months of vacation a year. They'd both share the same patient base, and whoever happened to be in that week or that day would be who the patient sees.

RonPaulCult
11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I hope Rand will focus on saving our country. Other people can be doctors - he's our guy in the Senate for F's sake.

fletcher
11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
He said in an interview that he would probably merge his practice with another.

low preference guy
11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I hope Rand will focus on saving our country. Other people can be doctors - he's our guy in the Senate for F's sake.

nah. i hope he reforms the senate so that they only meet once a month, or even better, once a year. we want to move in that direction.

low preference guy
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM

i disagree with your assessment. if the volume is more than what the partner can handle, he can just stop taking new patients for a while.

regarding "doubling the patient base", that won't happen if his partner is someone who moved to bowling green relatively recently. maybe Rand found someone like that.

i can't see at all what is "unfair" to his patients. in what sense would the situation be unfair to them?

BamaFanNKy
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I've not received anything in the mail (I go for eye check ups since I have the eyes of a Hawk) and from what I understand he will be keeping it open and a possible partner will come in to be a part of the practice.

Cowlesy
11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I think Senator Frist continued to do surgeries while he was a Senator if I am not mistaken.

One thing about Congress is they are on recess a lot, and it never seems like they do a true 5-day work week. It only gets gnarly when there is a bill and a vote is imminent.

sailingaway
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I think Senator Frist continued to do surgeries while he was a Senator if I am not mistaken.

One thing about Congress is they are on recess a lot, and it never seems like they do a true 5-day work week. It only gets gnarly when there is a bill and a vote is imminent.

He said something about trying to practice medicine one day a week. Ron did that, and it very likely is a good part of why he never 'went Washington' the way all the others did.