PDA

View Full Version : HR 3835 AFA Act Help

john_anderson_ii
10-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm composing a letter to my district's representative and I like a few of the more level heads on this board to look it over. My goal is to make my representative understand, in no uncertain terms, that not supporting this bill will get him fired. By now, every politician on the Hill has heard of the juggernaut that is Ron Paul's grass roots support. I wonder if we can use that power for something besides, but in parallel to, getting Ron Paul elected.

Below is a letter I plan on sending to Jeff Flake, who I actually liked very much until he sold out and voted to reauthorize the PAT RIOT Act. I'm asking for critiques of both grammar and content. I think it sounds a bit threatening and harsh, but I don't want him to be able to easily brush it off. I hoping to come up with a type of form letter I can get Arizona meet up members to send out.

Dear Mr. Flake,

It has come to my attention that Representative Ron Paul (TX) has introduced HR 3835 the "American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007" and as your constituent I strongly support this bill. Americans all over the nation are waking up to the fact that we just aren't as free today as we were yesterday. The examples of this trend are too numerous to enumerate. One needs only to look at recent events at the University of Florida, or the actions of Blackwater in New Orleans to see evidence of the attack on individual liberty. The attacker is the Executive, and We The People will see this attack ended immediately. This piece of legislation is an important vehicle in bringing the power of the Executive back to constitutional levels.

I ask some simple questions of you. Why has the House:
- allowed the President or his agents to decide if an American citizen is an enemy combatant, and have them imprisoned without due process?
- allowed the President or his agents to establish secret prisons and torture individuals?
- allowed the President to pick and choose which portions of a law he will obey and enforce via signing statements?

The image conjured by the questions asked above is very real in a nation where such questions should never have to be asked. By volunteering in grass-roots campaign efforts I have the opportunity to see Americans begin to ask themselves the same questions. When I speak to them, I can see the realization that there is something very reminiscent of Mussolini's Italy or Stalin's Russia in these United States. The idea that our Congress is standing idly by while the Executive appears to be actively seeking an end to the American Experiment infuriates people with a fervor I've not seen ever before in political activism.

As a constituent I expect to read your name in the list of cosponsors of this bill as much I expect to see your name in the list of "Yays" when this bill is put up for a vote. To do otherwise would cost you much more than this voter's single vote. If everything possible is not done by your office in support of this bill I, and thousands of like-minded others, will actively campaign for your opposition in 2008. Even if we have to choose the challenger from our own ranks of grass-roots Ron Paul campaigners. I am sorry that I must sound so harsh, as I have always voted your way in the past. However, I must make it absolutely clear that not supporting this bill will bring about considerable consequences for your office at the ballot box.

Thanks for looking it over.