PDA

View Full Version : Chris Matthews and Joe Scarborough talk about Rand on Morning Joe: He's he real thing

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 01:08 PM
video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/03/matthews-scarborough-clash-morning-joe_n_778466.html

"Scarborough asked Matthews to talk about Senator-elect Rand Paul, a Tea Party Republican from Kentucky. Matthews called Paul "the real thing" in terms of his political convictions.

"That speech last night was a cri de guerre," he continued, adding that Paul was the "actual essence of Goldwaterism."

It's sad, actually,
Scarborough said that he agreed with Matthews, even though he had "no idea what that French phrase means." :D

see video

Sad, a bit that 'war cry' isn't recognized....

ashura
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
That exchange was HILARIOUS! :D

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Chris Matthews was a Goldwater supporter in his teens

I love the 'he's the raw seed of the hurricane' line....

anaconda
11-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Chris Matthews was a Goldwater supporter in his teens

I love the 'he's the raw seed of the hurricane' line....

Ditto on the "raw seed of the hurricane" comment. God in heaven I think I'm genuinely starting to like Chris Matthews.

The main stream media, for one reason or another, is helping Rand overcome his missteps in his campaign and helping him with his image as an intellectual purist. This is wonderful and very unexpected in my opinion.

silverhandorder
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree on Mathews thing but I do not trust news media. They have an agenda.

terp
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Why didn't Matthews make any comments when O'Donnell was all "The End is Near!" last night? It seems he does like Rand, but was pretty silent when his cohorts were taking their shots last night.

SWATH
11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I think Matthews wants to like Rand but is afraid that it would look like an endorsement of his policies. Yet he doesn't want to attack Rand because he is waiting to see if Rand's "Goldwater" policies succeed, the same ones he himself supported when he was a young Goldwater supporter but never got to see in action. I think he is genuinely curious how they might work.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Why didn't Matthews make any comments when O'Donnell was all "The End is Near!" last night? It seems he does like Rand, but was pretty silent when his cohorts were taking their shots last night.

No, he didn't fight them, but he did say he thought he saw 'the ghost of Goldwater' in Rand's speech.

Chieppa1
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Hilary was a Goldwater girl. So the whole "The real Christ Matthews is shining through" thing isn't something to get crazy about IMO.

Chieppa1
11-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Maybe because he knows his cohorts are idiots? It honestly looked like that last night.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Hilary was a Goldwater girl. So the whole "The real Christ Matthews is shining through" thing isn't something to get crazy about IMO.

I think he disagrees with Rand mightily but is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he comes in good faith and not to wage war with people unnecessarily.

jclay2
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
How in the hell did Chris Matthews support Goldwater? Was he abused in college or something. How did the man do such a 180 in his political views?

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Hillary Clinton like Goldwater in the 60's. I think she just lost her faith in humanity, and decided they were too dumb to handle things without a massive government to dictate their lives.

Probably the same thing with Matthews.

amy31416
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Pretty sure that Rove was a fan of Goldwater back in the day as well.

DeadheadForPaul
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't like Chris Matthews but I think he is fond of libertarian philosophy...or perhaps had a fondness for it at one point.

First, he staunchly defended Rand and bashed Conway for the ad.

Last night, he said "that is classic Goldwater" in almost a glowing way

During the discussion last night with Maddow, Schultz, Lawrence O'Donnell, etc., he was not saying really nasty things like the others. It almost looked like he rolled his eyes/turned away when O'Donnell went on the debt ceiling rant

KramerDSP
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
How in the hell did Chris Matthews support Goldwater? Was he abused in college or something. How did the man do such a 180 in his political views?

Look up the interview Matthews had with Ron a fee months ago. He talks about being a Goldwater fan before "growing up".

ScotTX
11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Matthews and Pat Buchanan were bros in college and were big-time Goldwater Republicans, but Matthews became disillusioned when Goldwater lost and was seduced by the dumb side of the force. Make no mistake, underneath all the progressive liberal crust thats built up over the decades, there's a libertarian in there just hoping someone will rise up to claim the Goldwater mantle, and Rand just might be him.

Bman
11-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Matthews and Pat Buchanan were bros in college and were big-time Goldwater Republicans, but Matthews became disillusioned when Goldwater lost and was seduced by the dumb side of the force. Make no mistake, underneath all the progressive liberal crust thats built up over the decades, there's a libertarian in there just hoping someone will rise up to claim the Goldwater mantle, and Rand just might be him.

Maybe Chris will feel a tingle up his leg once again.

Live Free or Die
11-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Hillary Clinton like Goldwater in the 60's. I think she just lost her faith in humanity, and decided they were too dumb to handle things without a massive government to dictate their lives.

I'm tired of seeing this bandied about without proof. What we have are Hillary's own statements made fairly recently during her primary run against Barack in '07/'08.

Fact: Clinton graduated from Wellesley in '69. She was very active in student government, policies, etc... Anyone from this part of the country knows that there was NO Goldwater group at Wellesley, LOL!

Here is her Commencement speech:
http://www.wellesley.edu/PublicAffairs/Commencement/1969/053169hillary.html

From her own recollections, as reported by ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/WhoIs/story?id=3963326&page=1) on Dec 6, 2007:

Instead, Clinton began reaching for the political stars. At the age of 13, she helped canvass the south side of Chicago in the 1960 elections and later volunteered for Republican Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential election.

"My best friend and I became quote 'Goldwater Girls,' Clinton said. "We got to wear cowboy hats. We had a sash that said, you know, I voted AUH2O. I mean, it was really a lot of fun."

[...]
In 1965, Clinton graduated from high school and headed off to Wellesley College, where her political views and self-perception would take a drastic turn. Right, so while she was fighting to gain bipartisan support in her bid for DNC nomination against Barack Obama, Hillary reminisced to ABC News about being a "Goldwater Girl" at age 13-16, when it was popular and fun and stylish. Then when she was 17-18 (and finally away from her ONE conservative parent) at Wellesley, her true self came pouring out.

Would you people please stop this sick meme about Hillary being a "Goldwater Girl"? She was nothing of the kind. She is merely playing herself as the lesser of *progressive liberal* evils for the 2012 elections.

In her defense, at least her school records, speeches, associations, grades & etc... are easily found and verified as true archives of years-old internet files and scanned newspaper records.

But Hillary was never a "Goldwater Girl" any more than my daughter can claim she was black 30 years from now. Not for want of my daughter's passionate advocating of Diana Ross's music and style, or her glam Motown Halloween costume. 'Cause that's all Hillary was playing at from ages 13-17 or so. Me? When I was 13, I was front & center at a 1983 Reagan rally in my hometown in CT, and I have pictures to prove it. I wasn't concerned with what was cool or "a lot of fun" because all my friends, via their parents, were seriously afraid of "Raygun."