PDA

View Full Version : Doug Stafford to be Rand's chief of staff

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/d122c4b5145c45f4b8ea1c4fadae5efa/KY--Kentucky_Senate-Staffer/

low preference guy
11-03-2010, 12:07 PM
does anyone have a biography or know about him?

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Just what is in the article, he's a consultant to C4L apparently, etc.

Fozz
11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
It's very important for Rand to have a pro-liberty staff, so I guess this is a good choice.

MRoCkEd
11-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Cool.

From DeMint's advice to conservatives:

Second, hire conservative staff. The old saying "personnel is policy" is true. You don't need Beltway strategists and consultants running your office. Find people who share your values and believe in advancing the same policy reforms. Staff who are driven by conservative instincts can protect you from unwanted, outside influences when the pressure is on.

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Campaign for Liberty should put up a video interview with him, or something like that. I'd like to know the kind of company Rand will be keeping.

silverhandorder
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Campaign for Liberty should put up a video interview with him, or something like that. I'd like to know the kind of company Rand will be keeping.

I second that I would love it if Rand makes him self available to grass roots. Somehow I think that would not happen. :(

Thargok
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Doug is a great guy and an invaluable asset to the campaign, he will be a wonderful asset for Senator Paul's staff.

SWATH
11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
From what I hear from people who know him he is the real deal.

LibertyMage
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
How does a person comes to find a position on a senator's staff? Those of us close Washington would benefit by learning the formula.

silverhandorder
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Most likely anyone that the Senator determines is good enough. The question is what is the criteria in Rand's case. Sounds pretty good so far. Like three people so far vouched for the chief of staff.

Guys don't think I am an idealist or a troll but I do think we should explore whether it be a good idea to lobby Rand to be more available to give interviews and announcements to liberty movement. Kinda like what Ron does with CFL. We had many people from the forum work closely in KY. If he can do it without any bad side effects I would love to see that done.

Ethek
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Doug is a good guy.

BamaFanNKy
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I should of had this set to go up earlier.

http://www.freemaninky.com/2010/11/senator-elect-rand-paul-names-chief-of.html

Some good stuff. I think he's gonna be a good one for us.

Thomas
11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
he's a great guy and extremely competent

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
he's a great guy and extremely competent

Romney is competent, if you like that sort of thing.

Hopefully if he has worked around C4L they have scoped out his appropriateness.

BamaFanNKy
11-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Romney is competent, if you like that sort of thing.

Hopefully if he has worked around C4L they have scoped out his appropriateness.

Read his writings.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Read his writings.

I read the titles, and they all seem to be on the same topic. He could be antiunion and a big govt neocon from all I can tell. This isn't mutiny, I don't know him. I just hope Rand is taking de Mint's advice about choosing staff with your own philosophy to heart.

BamaFanNKy
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I read the titles, and they all seem to be on the same topic. He could be antiunion and a big govt neocon from all I can tell. This isn't mutiny, I don't know him. I just hope Rand is taking de Mint's advice about choosing staff with your own philosophy to heart.

Well, he did work for RTW which is why they were on the same topic.

Cardinal Red
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm glad he has chosen an experienced Chief-of-staff. It shows he is interested in passing legislation, rather than just being a protest vote.

JoshLowry
11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Rand has played his cards almost flawlessly thus far...

I haven't come across any criticism of Doug before this news.

Onward and forwards!

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry, I should of had this set to go up earlier.

http://www.freemaninky.com/2010/11/senator-elect-rand-paul-names-chief-of.html

Some good stuff. I think he's gonna be a good one for us.

Man, I'm getting huge corporatist vibes from this guy. Do you have any other writings or videos that aren't related to unions?

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Rand has played his cards almost flawlessly thus far...

I haven't come across any criticism of Doug before this news.

Onward and forwards!

Onwards and forwards? That sounds like "Nothing to see here, move along now".

low preference guy
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Onwards and forwards? That sounds like "Nothing to see here, move along now".

it doesn't like that when you read the first two lines of the post you're quoting

Cowlesy
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Doug is a good choice.

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Doug is a good choice.

Ok, I'm seeing a lot of comments like this with no elaboration.

WHY do you think that Doug is a good choice?

DeadheadForPaul
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Man, I'm getting huge corporatist vibes from this guy. Do you have any other writings or videos that aren't related to unions?

Based on what exactly? Because he doesn't have an "End the Fed" tattoo?

He was a consultant for C4L. Clearly he is not just some establishment GOP corporatist. With Mr. Stafford as his right-hand man, Rand is definitely not setting himself up to be a McConnell lapdog

I don't know much about the guy, but I'm not going to pretend to either.

People on here seem to know him or at least about him and seem to be giving the thumbs up. Good enough for me for now

Thargok
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok, I'm seeing a lot of comments like this with no elaboration.

WHY do you think that Doug is a good choice?

I assume when you say somebody is a good guy it is because you know them... Like I have no idea what kind of person James Earl Jones is, and I wouldn't say that he was good or not because i have no idea. It couldn't be that a guy who has been a consultant for months with the campaign has met people, or that his input on this campaign lead to a victory or anything.

BenIsForRon
11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Based on what exactly? Because he doesn't have an "End the Fed" tattoo?

Because, from reading his writings, he is completely focused on unionization issues. While I agree with most of his positions in those articles, I need more information.

Neocon institutions like the AEI and Heritage Foundation are similarly focused on unionization issues, and have similar positions.

And I don't know what being a consultant for C4L entails. That could be a very loose relationship for all I know.

MRoCkEd
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Because, from reading his writings, he is completely focused on unionization issues. While I agree with most of his positions in those articles, I need more information.

Neocon institutions like the AEI and Heritage Foundation are similarly focused on unionization issues, and have similar positions.

And I don't know what being a consultant for C4L entails. That could be a very loose relationship for all I know.
I would expect him to be focused on union issues considering he is the vice president of National Right to Work (http://www.nrtw.org/)...

YouTube - Ron Paul talks Right to Work issues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vx1nhrU4FM)

DeadheadForPaul
11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.wlky.com/r/25621231/detail.html

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Incoming U.S. Sen. Rand Paul has appointed his top political consultant as chief of staff.

Paul told reporters Wednesday that Doug Stafford, a longtime Republican operative in Washington, will be in charge of getting his Senate staff in place.

Stafford serves as vice president of National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation and as a consultant to the Campaign for Liberty, an organization chaired by Paul’s father, Ron Paul, a Texas congressman and former GOP presidential candidate

Ethek
11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I assume when you say somebody is a good guy it is because you know them... Like I have no idea what kind of person James Earl Jones is, and I wouldn't say that he was good or not because i have no idea. It couldn't be that a guy who has been a consultant for months with the campaign has met people, or that his input on this campaign lead to a victory or anything.

To me this seems an accurate statement.

rich34
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I think at this point the bottom line is that this is who Rand picked and we just gotta trust his decision. That don't mean we can't attempt to hold his feet to the fire if we think he starts to stray, but the fact is we have to trust him at this point he's given us no reason not to. Hell it could be worse, imagine if Mitch McConnell would have hand picked his staff? If that happened, then I'd be concerned...

BamaFanNKy
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Here is another thing..... The left is freaking out over this hire (at least the ones in Kentucky).

RonPaulFanInGA
11-04-2010, 06:45 AM
So Paul picks a Campaign for Liberty guy and people here are worried about that? How much more obvious does it need to be?

Stafford is a very anti-labor unions guy, too:

http://www.nrtw.org/

The labor unions went all-out against Paul.

LivefreeVA
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Consultant to Campaign since the primary (August 09)
Consultant to Campaign for Liberty since Day 1.
Conservative/Liberty activist for 12 years.
Ron Paul supporter since 1988.

:)

So Paul picks a Campaign for Liberty guy and people here are worried about that? How much more obvious does it need to be?

Stafford is a very anti-labor unions guy, too:

http://www.nrtw.org/

The labor unions went all-out against Paul.

BenIsForRon
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
That's the thing, not all unions are bad. As long as they are voluntary and there is no intimidation.

I was hoping Rand would get someone with a broader resume. If someone could just find one article this guy wrote in late '08/early '09 against the bailouts, my fears will be subdued.

Cowlesy
11-04-2010, 08:34 AM
That's the thing, not all unions are bad. As long as they are voluntary and there is no intimidation.

I was hoping Rand would get someone with a broader resume. If someone could just find one article this guy wrote in late '08/early '09 against the bailouts, my fears will be subdued.

Subdue your own fears my man!!!

I hope Doug reaches out to guys like Amash to help him navigate the staffing up he'll need to do on his way to D.C.

I am sure gentlemen like Daniel McCarthy at The American Conservative already in DC know lots of people who would make great staff members, too.

Matt Collins
11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Doug gets my endorsement. He did a lot of behind the scenes stuff that most people never get to see and will never know about to win this election. He was basically Rand's chief strategist as I understand it. He's close to Senator DeMint too.

But he hasn't gotten a photo with me yet

angelatc
11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
How does a person comes to find a position on a senator's staff? Those of us close Washington would benefit by learning the formula.

Send your resume to Rand Paul if you're interested. Be aggressive - try to reach him at his practice, and/or try to reach this Stafford guy.

Rachel got her job on Ron Paul's staff when he called her. She was a prominent activist before that.

BamaFanNKy
11-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Send your resume to Rand Paul if you're interested. Be aggressive - try to reach him at his practice, and/or try to reach this Stafford guy.

Rachel got her job on Ron Paul's staff when he called her. She was a prominent activist before that.

Actually send the resume' to Doug Stafford.

steined
11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Not that my opinion or anyone else's opinion other than Rand's should matter to anyone, but I think Doug is an excellent hire for this position. Granted I'm not in DC and don't know the town or the people, etc. I can't think of anyone I'd rather see at Rand's side right now. It was a pleasure to work with him on the campaign.

Thargok
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Not that my opinion or anyone else's opinion other than Rand's should matter to anyone, but I think Doug is an excellent hire for this position. Granted I'm not in DC and don't know the town or the people, etc. I can't think of anyone I'd rather see at Rand's side right now. It was a pleasure to work with him on the campaign.

+1

sailingaway
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Consultant to Campaign since the primary (August 09)
Consultant to Campaign for Liberty since Day 1.
Conservative/Liberty activist for 12 years.
Ron Paul supporter since 1988.

:)

OK, that's good. some concern troll is churning this at daily paul. Next time I see it I'll add this info (don't particularly want to bump it)