PDA

View Full Version : NYT Gail Collins: Rand is a self-satisfied egotist

AuH20
11-03-2010, 09:47 AM
That sounds very familiar. The gatekeepers don't like it when someone bucks the system.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/the-new-kids-in-town/

Gail Collins: Some Democratic defeats on Tuesday truly pained me. But I have to admit others got what they deserved. For instance, I think Kentucky’s new senator, Rand Paul, is a self-satisfied egotist who is way out of synch with the voters in his — or any other — state. But he, at least, ran on his issues, and the Democrat, Jack Conway, just ran on promising to bring more pork to the district. Paul wanted a battle of ideas, Conway wanted a battle of bribes. Plus I hated the ads Conway ran against Paul, trying to turn a stupid college prank into an election scandal about “worshiping Aqua Buddha.” When two middle-aged men do battle, no fair going back to sophomore year.

Any Republican who you felt got a much-deserved licking?

David Brooks: Oh yeah. I’m delighted that the country will not be plagued by Senators Sharron Angle and Christine O’Donnell, and probably Joe Miller in Alaska. In a wave election a candidate has to beat the voters over the head with incompetence to lose, but these folks managed.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
"Gail Collins: Some Democratic defeats on Tuesday truly pained me. But I have to admit others got what they deserved. For instance, I think Kentucky’s new senator, Rand Paul, is a self-satisfied egotist who is way out of synch with the voters in his — or any other — state. But he, at least, ran on his issues, and the Democrat, Jack Conway, just ran on promising to bring more pork to the district. Paul wanted a battle of ideas, Conway wanted a battle of bribes. Plus I hated the ads Conway ran against Paul, trying to turn a stupid college prank into an election scandal about “worshiping Aqua Buddha.” When two middle-aged men do battle, no fair going back to sophomore year."

She was impressed by his sticking to farm subsidy principles even at the farm bureau, which she attended. She is opposed to his world view, and won't 'like' him, but I think she respects his sticking to a stance.

teacherone
11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
In a wave election a candidate has to beat the voters over the head with incompetence to lose, but these folks managed.

the left produces some good snark now and again.

torchbearer
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
when someone is talking about someone they don't really know, what they say really tells more about themselves than the other person.

Fozz
11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
David Brooks is an asshole. He wanted Ken Buck to lose, and I bet he also wanted Rand to lose.

Matt Collins
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
No relation.