PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul vs. Marco Rubio: The Leaders of Future GOP Senate Factions?

bobbyw24
11-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Rand Paul vs. Marco Rubio: The Leaders of Future GOP Senate Factions?

If both Rubio and Rand Paul both are able to make their way to Washington this fall, you could be seeing two future leaders of two factions that will be battling for control of the party in the future. The party establishment can only watch and take their cues from the winner.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2010/05/01/conservative-inc-s-branch-office-in-florida/

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 07:00 AM
I definitely can see that, actually.

K466
11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Don't blame me. I voted for Alexander Snitker :D

Sola_Fide
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Wow. I can certainly see this happening.

AuH20
11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
History will repeat itself. It's going to be Goldwater vs. Rockefeller AGAIN. Rubio is the establishment's guy. He is handsome, he's latin and he's not real deep. Rove's boys are going all-in with him.

Elwar
11-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Don't blame me. I voted for Alexander Snitker :D

+1

:)

My vote was worth more to the candidate that I voted for.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
History will repeat itself. It's going to be Goldwater vs. Rockefeller AGAIN. Rubio is the establishment's guy. He is handsome, he's latin and he's not real deep. Rove's boys are going all-in with him.

Did you see that bank of flags behind him in his victory speech? I've never seen a show like that except in presidential appearances --- or elections for president.

LibertyEagle
11-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Yup, I noticed that last night. They were touting Rubio's win and he himself as the future of the GOP. Rubio is just more of the same. They want the attention off of Rand Paul, so they are going to pull out all the stops to demonize him. I think they plan to use the debt ceiling to do that; it's pretty obvious. And if that doesn't work, they'll find the next best thing.

bobbyw24
11-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Yep-already saying he will be the GOP VP candidate in 2 years

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Yup, I noticed that last night. They were touting Rubio's win and he himself as the future of the GOP. Rubio is just more of the same. They want the attention off of Rand Paul, so they are going to pull out all the stops to demonize him. I think they plan to use the debt ceiling to do that; it's pretty obvious. And if that doesn't work, they'll find the next best thing.

I think they will let him take the lead on all the politically unpopular stuff that needs to be done. I don't think they'll outright demonize him because they want him to be effective in some of the cost cutting, but I think they WILL let him be the 'hatchet man' and preserve Rubio's beauty for another day. They'll let Rubio be the face of the push on only SLIGHTLY aggressive stuff, and will tout his courage in doing so.

Matt Collins
11-03-2010, 08:46 PM
The GOP is putting Rubio on the fast track to become President.

Research Rubio's connection with The Aspen Institute, and then look at who funds the Aspen Institute. It's very telling.

erowe1
11-03-2010, 09:02 PM
The biggest problem with this theory is that Rand will be the only person in his faction, while every other Republican in the Senate will be in Rubio's.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Research Rubio's connection with The Aspen Institute, and then look at who funds the Aspen Institute. It's very telling.

Yeah.

Did you SEE those flags behind him at his victory speech? Talk about staging!!

LibertyEagle
11-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Yup and Beck appears to be pushing him too.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Joe Scarborough tried this morning with Matthews pairing him with Rand "Do you think people like Rubio and Rand Paul will be able to stick to their principles..." and Matthews totally ignored Rubio and started talking about how Rand was the 'real deal' and the 'raw seed of the hurricane' and 'pure Goldwater...'

Joe agreed, but I don't think the conversation went the way he was trying to lead it.

Anti Federalist
11-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Not a week goes by before Rubio jets off to Israel to kiss the master's ring.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267081

Tells me all I need to know.

propanes
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM
There's a thread about Rubio in the general politics forum. Rubio will soon travel to Israel. Really.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267081

Matt Collins
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Did you SEE those flags behind him at his victory speech? Talk about staging!!Pic? :confused:

amy31416
11-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Hmm...a little David v. Goliath battle is what we should give 'em. Guerrilla warfare anyone?

thasre
11-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I read on a British blog today that Rubio's been lying about his religion. Calls himself "Catholic" because he was raised Catholic even though he's attended an evangelical protestant church for years and gave most of his $66,000 in charitable donations this year to that church.

Anybody who lies about being Catholic just to boost his Hispanic bonafides and to win the largest religious voting block is a total scumbag in my book. I mean, at least Nancy Pelosi has the nerve to show up to mass once in a while and kiss a few bishops' rings to make herself look Catholic.

When you just outright lie about your religion and don't even go to the trouble to make it look like you're not lying, what else are you going to be two-faced about? Rubio's religion, ultimately, is going to have little impact on his tenure in the Senate, so if he'll be that disingenuous about something that doesn't matter, I hate to think how he'll behave when faced with important issues where his best interest conflicts with the nation's best interests.

EDIT: Also, what the fuck? I just thought about it, and it's not like he's a freaking atheist, which usually spells political suicide. He's a fucking evangelical Republican. He had to LIE about that? It's just mind-boggling. In what universe does being an evangelical hurt a Republican's chances at winning?

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Pic? :confused:

Here's the youtube, I didn't find a pic that did it justice:

YouTube - Marco Rubio Victory Speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFGmf3cmD4&feature=related)

Matt Collins
11-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow... those flags are ridiculous. Way too distracting for a background, someone didn't know what they were doing.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow... those flags are ridiculous. Way too distracting for a background, someone didn't know what they were doing.

That is what Obama and Bush have during head of state visits. Looks to me like he wanted pictures suggesting he would fit that role.

Matt Collins
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
That is what Obama and Bush have during head of state visits. Looks to me like he wanted pictures suggesting he would fit that role.
It very well could be that for sure, or it could just be that whoever was in charge of the event was an idiot. It could go either way ;)

bobbyw24
11-04-2010, 05:07 AM
CORAL GABLES, Fla. — For many Tea Party conservatives, Hispanics, and young Americans frustrated with the national debt that baby boomers have saddled on their future, Marco Rubio’s victory in the Florida Senate race gave them an extra reason to celebrate.

“He’s our Cuban Barack Obama,” said Alex Lacayo, 36, a campaign volunteer at the Rubio victory party on Tuesday night who could not stop giving hugs to strangers. “He gives us hope.”

The comparison has been made before, but by coming from behind to handily defeat Gov. Charlie Crist as well as Representative Kendrick B. Meek, Mr. Rubio, 39, has completed his entrance onto the national stage. With turbocharged help from the Tea Party, he has gone from a no-name former state lawmaker to what the conservative press calls the “great right hope.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/us/politics/04rubio.html?_r=2&hp

Bman
11-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Well guys it comes down to this. We have one thing Rubio doesn't. Us. Now we have our weak points and certainly still have some learning to go on how to conduct ourselves, but our group can hit the streets and get stuff done more so than any other Republican group. If you
re in it to win it, prepare for a battle that will last a lifetime.

rprprs
11-04-2010, 06:56 AM

I really have no comment. I just wanted that to be read again.

rich34
11-04-2010, 07:22 AM
This guy has NEOCON written all over him. While it's obvious Mr. Rubio has the republican establishment behind him, I don't think he'll have as easy of a time convincing the American people that he's one of them as Rand would. Rand comes off very authentic and very knowledgeable about the issues. As Mathews put it, "he's the real deal." The establishment can choose to ignore that if they wish, but it didn't work out for Mitch the last time they tried this strategy..

itshappening
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
The giant RAND sign was genius Matt, the photos look amazing and that has done alot for his name recognition nationally

Rand is a brand

itshappening
11-04-2010, 08:17 AM
CORAL GABLES, Fla. — For many Tea Party conservatives, Hispanics, and young Americans frustrated with the national debt that baby boomers have saddled on their future, Marco Rubio’s victory in the Florida Senate race gave them an extra reason to celebrate.

“He’s our Cuban Barack Obama,” said Alex Lacayo, 36, a campaign volunteer at the Rubio victory party on Tuesday night who could not stop giving hugs to strangers. “He gives us hope.”

The comparison has been made before, but by coming from behind to handily defeat Gov. Charlie Crist as well as Representative Kendrick B. Meek, Mr. Rubio, 39, has completed his entrance onto the national stage. With turbocharged help from the Tea Party, he has gone from a no-name former state lawmaker to what the conservative press calls the “great right hope.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/us/politics/04rubio.html?_r=2&hp

yeah the NY times, time magazine and everyone will call him "brilliant", a new "leader" like they did with Gingrich. He's the same as him, i.e wolf in sheeps clothing imho. he'll be pushed while Rand is marganalized

libertygrl
11-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Yep. And from all the cable news reports I've been seeing lately, Rubio has already been chosen as the Neo-Con's golden boy by some of the remarks made by Republican pundints. I've even heard him being mentioned as the GOP's version of "Obama." Articulate, charming, young and a minority. Jeb Bush is behind him so be scared. Be very scared. :mad:

Matt Collins
11-04-2010, 09:44 AM
The giant RAND sign was genius Matt, the photos look amazing and that has done alot for his name recognition nationally

Rand is a brand
That's the idea! ;):p:D

sailingaway
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
yeah the NY times, time magazine and everyone will call him "brilliant", a new "leader" like they did with Gingrich. He's the same as him, i.e wolf in sheeps clothing imho. he'll be pushed while Rand is marganalized

Still, the fact that comparisons are being made between him and Rand as if those are the two choices isn't such a bad thing. (One paper decided Rand's family attire was tacky because the baby was dressed in red and blue and had something on her head, and Kelley's coat was an 'overdone in these things' typical red. Whereas Rubio's family was 'elegant' with the kids 'buttons suggestive of the shimmer of Rubio's wife's pearls' [I don't make these things up] and with his wife in a Jackie O sheath dress. )

Why bother cutting down Rand's family's clothes if they didn't think he was a threat? Why the comparison to Rubio, at all? They barely discussed other people. There was a whole article on this.

propanes
11-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Compiling the dossier on the Paul family, no doubt. It seems nothing is left to chance by the oh so wise king makers.