PDA

View Full Version : Prop 19 Passed (in my town)

dannno
11-03-2010, 01:02 AM
It passed by voters here 51-48...

Of course it won't be law, it had to pass at the state level.. just sayin ;)

We also had a ballot measure to ban dispensaries, which failed at over a 20+ point margin :)

Fr3shjive
11-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Disappointing but at least AZ got their medical marijuana law passed. Its a step in the right direction.

we just need to wait for the old people to die off before it ever get legalized.

amy31416
11-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Disappointing but at least AZ got their medical marijuana law passed. Its a step in the right direction.

we just need to wait for the old people to die off before it ever get legalized.

Pfft.

Just stop following unjust laws (so long as you don't have people who rely on you and you don't have career aspirations and stuff.)

DamianTV
11-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Did You Know? A person is victimized by the Police every 37 seconds in the USA for a Marijuana Related 'Crime'?

(Crime of course is in quotes, Crime is what ever our crooked elected officials seem to think it is)

tremendoustie
11-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Time to secede.

DamianTV
11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Maybe just time to emigrate.

Kregisen
11-03-2010, 01:34 AM

No we didn't......about 95% of precincts are in, and it's 50% to 50%, 650,000 votes no, 645,000 votes yes......I don't think it's gonna pass.

tremendoustie
11-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Maybe just time to emigrate.

Yeop. To NH, with me :D (do I sound like a broken record yet?)

DamianTV
11-03-2010, 01:41 AM
I meant out of the US period before it implodes.

tremendoustie
11-03-2010, 01:43 AM
I meant out of the US period before it implodes.

Yeah, you could do that too. While there aren't many more pro-liberty places around, there are many places less precarious from a socio-political-economic standpoint.

I want to stay here and fight. While there's danger, I think there's more reason for hope than most other places, where people don't even pay lip service to liberty or freedom.

Humanae Libertas
11-03-2010, 03:08 AM
So everyone got it right, except California - What a dumbass state I live in.

squarepusher
11-03-2010, 03:57 AM
heres an email I got yesterday from Letetia Pepper. The bill would have passed, except a large part of the medical community was alienated and turned off from the bill.

If there are still any medical marijuana patients who are thinking of voting yes on 19, you might consider this.

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: russ@norml.org; Mikki Norris <mikki@hr95.org>; Mike Gray <hmichaelgray@sbcglobal.net>; Sunil Aggarwal <sunila@u.washington.edu>
Cc: Brenda Kershenbaum <edna2422000@yahoo.com>; David Herrick <dherrick@earthlink.net>; David Nick <jdavidnick@lawyer.com>; Theodora Kerry <thekerry@comcast.net>; Mickey Martin <freetainted@yahoo.com>; Paul Armentano <paul@norml.org>; Don E Wirtshafter <wirtshafter@gmail.com>; Omar Figueroa <omarfigueroa@mac.com>; Chris Conrad <chris@chrisconrad.com>; GlobalMarijuanaReLegalization@yahoogroups.com; DC Williams <gear2000@lightspeed.net>; Ellen Douglas <douglasbiomedical@comcast.net>; dpfca <dpfca@drugsense.org>; staff <staff@taxcannabis.org>; Michael Cutler <cutlermj@aol.com>; Jackie Wilson <JGWilsonW@aol.com>; "casper@time4hemp.com" <casper@time4hemp.com>; Deborah Small <deborah@breakchains.org>; Ed Rosenthal <AskEdR@aol.com>; Lynette Shaw <lynnette_shaw@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sat, October 30, 2010 11:55:01 AM
Subject: Re: DPFCA: Respected leaders who support Prop. 19 vs. Letitia Pepper's delusions and absurdities

Each word, as well as words that are missing, can be very important in terms of meaning. So, for example, look at this sentence from one of the pro-19 people:
"We all know marijuana can't really be legalized, because the feds say so. But the people don't, and we're succeeding in fooling most of them, except the really smart ones, like you, Dragonfly, Lanette, and J."
First, "marijuana" CAN BE, and HAS BEEN, legalized as medicine in California. And we can grow and use it ourselves, with no pharmaceutical intereference/profit-taking, as herbal medicine, since, unlike the law in Germany, we can grow and use it ourselves instead of having to buy it from Bayer in the expensive, pharmaceutical form of Sativex.
Second, the RECREATIONAL use of marijuana cannot be legalized by one state's adoption of a law like Prop. 19. But fooling young and enthusiastic voters into thinking they can "legalize pot" for recreational use was a great way to get them to vote yes for a law that totally benefits the guy(s) who paid to put it on the ballot, Lee and Jones.
And who will they benefit from, if Prop. 19 passes? From the only people who can use marijuana legally: medical marijuana patients.
I stand by my legal analysis: if Richard Lee and friends did NOT intend to affect medical marijuana patients' rights, why didn't the Intent section specifically state that "the Act," i.e., Prop. 19, was NOT intended to affect H & S section 11362.5, or any of the laws and court decisions implementing Prop. 215 and interpreting it, the code sections put in place by S.B. 420, and the A.G. Guidelines?
Instead, Prop. 19 was carefully worded to create "plausible deniability" by making references to H & S section 31162.5 in two separate sections under "Purpose" -- which thereby limited the effect of such references to the subject matter in each separate section in which it was mentioned. This kind of drafting was no accident -- especially given the oft-repeated claim that Prop. 19 is the final product after 14 separate drafts.
And why didn't Prop. 19 provide that people under 21, who have doctors' recommendations to use marijuana as medicine. are not subject to criminal prosecution? Or exempt the parents and/or guardians of sick children from the criminal penalties that apply to adults who furnish, etc., marijuana to people under 21?
Prop. 19 DOES affect rights udner 215. Prop. 215 made it legal for ANYONE to use marijuana with a doctor's recommendation -- and Prop. 19, if it passes, changes that and makes it illegal for ANYONE under 21 to use marijuana, even as medicine.
In order to try to get as many people to vote yes on his scheme to increase his pot proceeds, Richard Lee, using focus group results, was willing to make the use of marijuana illegal for ANYONE under 21, even sick children who are truly benefited by cannabis.
And since Prop. 19 defines cannabis as marijuana, and then provides for the state to adopt laws allowing the cultivation of hemp or "non-active cannabis," Prop. 19 is clearly designed to let SOMEONE grow "non-active cannabis." Monsanto? Bayer? Some third party who will be in business with them? Who knows? Let's hope we don't find out any time soon.
And you Prop. 19 "yes" people call people like Dennis Peron and Dave Herrick traitors? And call me, an attorney who's spent most of her career providing neutral analyses of laws more complex than Prop, 19. crazy?

furface
11-03-2010, 07:09 AM
It appears to be the newspapers and TV stations. It was leading in the polls until they started slamming it. Their arguments seemed to be the following:

1. It will violate federal law
2. It won't stop drug violence.

As for #1, it's important to continue promoting 10th Amendment concepts. Most people have never heard of the 10th Amendment. I don't think they teach it in government schools anymore. My kids aren't learning it in school. I have to teach it too them.

#2 is an interesting argument. People tend to be very conservative in their views of government, conservative in the sense of not willing to try new things. It's important to promote the idea that if certain policies are failing, they should be abandoned, even if the alternative hasn't been proven. A lot of these things are trial and error, and it's interesting that people who claim to be "progressive" are in fact the most entrenched and inelastic.

There's also a problem of newspapers & TV being in with the bureaucracy. They get 1st crack at the news, so they're not likely to say anything that counters the bureaucracy in a major way.