PDA

View Full Version : Proportional Representation

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
The only real chance 3rd parties have.

heavenlyboy34
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
At the national level, probably. State and local, not so much, but a bit.

nate895
11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, and then the liberals can continuously negotiate for power through closed lists parliaments and having significant enough votes to win against conservatives fighting amongst themselves. It happens in Europe constantly. That's how they got into all of this BS.

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
At the national level, probably. State and local, not so much, but a bit.
What do you mean? 3rd party candidates usually get 1-3% of the vote at the state level, more at the local level (at least in my state).

heavenlyboy34
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
What do you mean? 3rd party candidates usually get 1-3% of the vote at the state level, more at the local level (at least in my state).

I was trying to say that the more local one goes, the more likely 3rd parties will succeed. They tend to do better with local issues than national/international ones. (Didn't Ventura run as an Independent in MO when he won the governorship? That would be an example for ya)

nobody's_hero
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
The FSP is a better idea, I think. If we can just manage to get a handful of reps in office, and FORCE the other two parties to have to compete for their votes, we could at least have some leverage.

There's no effectual difference between 1/435 or 1,000/435,000

(Or we could try secession.)

Major_C_Natural
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I totally agree. The House of Representatives should be elected under the Single-transferable vote system.

Yeah, and then the liberals can continuously negotiate for power through closed lists parliaments and having significant enough votes to win against conservatives fighting amongst themselves. It happens in Europe constantly. That's how they got into all of this BS.
If the liberals can remain cohesive while the conservatives continually bicker, whose fault is it that the liberals remain in power?

Single-transferable vote (or choice voting) is the best form of proportional representation because it elects representatives directly, rather than party lists.

nate895
11-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I totally agree. The House of Representatives should be elected under the Single-transferable vote system.

If the liberals can remain cohesive while the conservatives continually bicker, whose fault is it that the liberals remain in power?

Single-transferable vote (or choice voting) is the best form of proportional representation because it elects representatives directly, rather than party lists.

Why do we all have to debate about this stupid process BS? I like plurality voting because it is simple and republican. Europe has been debating this process BS for years, and adopted in some form or another lots of these ideas, and it hasn't worked the way they want, unless, of course, you're a social democrat.

BamaAla
11-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Duverger's law...

Fox McCloud
11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I think a better chance would be to have more representatives; stick with the original 50-60,000 people per district and return Senator elections to that of the States themselves, rather than by the people.

I think 3rd parties would do very very well under this system.