PDA

View Full Version : Prop 19 (Waiting on results...)

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Exit polls indicate Prop. 19 not driving voter turnout (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2010/11/exit-polls-indicate-prop-19-not-driving-voter-turn-out.html)

Polls closed 15 minutes ago.

Reason
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/ballot-measures/

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
sounds like it didn't pass. Bummer. I was really hoping to see Obama and the feds come in here to challenge the state.

devil21
11-02-2010, 09:28 PM
CNN says 57-43 against but only 2% reported.

Reason
I don't think people outside of CA realize how much most people our age don't give a shit about this prop...

To most of us, it's legal already...

We can go get a card for 50 bucks that allows us to buy it and use it legally...

I want it to pass purely because I want to see the drug cartels loose their cash crop

dannno
http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/ballot-measures/

This website is temporarily unavailable. Please check back later.
Unfortunately there were no suitable nodes available to serve this request.

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:29 PM
CNN says 57-43 against but only 2% reported.

Odd, FoxNews.com said that it didn't pass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anything on 23?

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Here is a better website for updates for CA election

http://www.sfgate.com/election-results/

Prop 19 down 11% with 7% reporting :(

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Actually it looks like CA failed on pretty much everything. Prop 23 losing and Prop 25 winning massively. This state is nuts.

dannno
11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Ya I bet Brown wins too.. fuckin eh..

devil21
11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I dont get it. Poll after poll after poll shows a majority of Americans support the legalization of mj yet a proposition to legalize in a state where its nearly legal already is failing that badly?

How does this make sense? Or is it that ppl are comfy answering a phone poll to legalize but wuss out when the real chance comes?

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Ya I bet Brown wins too.. fuckin eh..

well yea, he did.

BuddyRey
California, you got some 'splaining to do.

dannno
On the bright side I also heard that at the college town by me, the polls were completely packed, lines down the street, not enough ballots.. just like the report we got earlier from SDSU..

I don't think it's quite fair to count the votes yet, cause it looks like a lot of college areas haven't had all their votes counted. Not to mention a lot of people probably ended up being discouraged from voting with all the lines.

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Ummm, its full of libs.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
What was California smoking? (no pun intended) :)

Liberty Rebellion
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I dont get it. Poll after poll after poll shows a majority of Americans support the legalization of mj yet a proposition to legalize in a state where its nearly legal already is failing that badly?

How does this make sense? Or is it that ppl are comfy answering a phone poll to legalize but wuss out when the real chance comes?

There are people who are pro-decriminalization and/or legalization that were against Prop 19 for one reason or another. Doesn't sound like everyone was onboard with the plan

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM

You really think the powers-that-be are going to allow Prop 19 to pass? Not when California uses Diebold counters.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Hopefully the margin is relatively small- and there are three other states voting on marijuana today.

Even if this lost, this was a major stepping stone in decriminalization.

Breaking down the establishment little by little...

devil21
11-02-2010, 09:46 PM
There are people who are pro-decriminalization and/or legalization that were against Prop 19 for one reason or another. Doesn't sound like everyone was onboard with the plan

I guess when they end up in jail for possession they'll only have themselves to blame at this point. We gotta start somewhere! I think this will pretty much doom any legalization props in the near future because opponents can always point and say "Look! Even Cali didn't legalize!" :rolleyes:

I dont understand ppl sometimes.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Marijuana on November 2nd:

Here's Where To Keep Up With Cannabis Election Results
(http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/11/heres_where_to_keep_up_with_the_big_cannabis_votes .php#more)

California: Proposition 19
The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 would legalize possession of limited amounts of marijuana by adults, allow a 5x5-foot growing space, and permit local governments to regulate and tax commercial sales.

Verdict: Failed.

Arizona: Proposition 203
The Arizona Medical Marijuana Act would permit state-registered patients to buy cannabis legally from licensed dispensaries. Patients living more than 25 miles from the nearest dispensary would be allowed to cultivate their own marijuana.

Verdict: Still coming in, currently NO

South Dakota: Measure 13
The South Dakota Safe Access Act would exempt state-authorized patients from criminal penalties for up to an ounce of marijuana or six cannabis plants.

Oregon: Measure 74
The Oregon Regulate Medical Marijuana Supply System Act of 2010 would create state-licensed nonprofit facilities which would grow and distribute cannabis to authorized patients.

Verdict: NO[ (But it says 0% reported?)

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Even if this lost, this was a major stepping stone in decriminalization.
I figure it will still be a victory if it loses by less than 10%.

Remember, most of the complaints about Prop 19 from all the News Editorial that came out against it was not that it was about legalizing pot, but leaving the taxing up to the local govts and not the state.

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:51 PM
The big downer is Prop 25 getting pounded in. Now all it takes is a simple majority (read liberal) vote to pass budget.

Its going to be an interesting decade out west. Hope you're not planning on a pension.

torchbearer
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Ummm, its full of libs.

i thought libs were pro-pot???

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 09:53 PM

not all. Our voting libs are all old pensioners and gov't employees.

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 09:55 PM
libs of today are not like the libs of yesterday, kinda like how cons are more neocon today.

BuddyRey
11-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Marijuana on November 2nd:

Here's Where To Keep Up With Cannabis Election Results
(http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/11/heres_where_to_keep_up_with_the_big_cannabis_votes .php#more)

Very interesting that a safe access bill is on the table in South Dakota.

Reason
11-02-2010, 10:08 PM

I don't think people outside of CA realize how much most people our age don't give a shit about this prop...

To most of us, it's legal already...

We can go get a card for 50 bucks that allows us to buy it and use it legally...

I wanted it to pass purely because I want to see the drug cartels loose their cash crop.

jclay2
11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
If you need a laugh:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0733346573/vote-no-on-prop-19-from-a-drug-dealer?playlist=featured_videos

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
If you need a laugh:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0733346573/vote-no-on-prop-19-from-a-drug-dealer?playlist=featured_videos

Bahahha so great!

mport1
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Ugh, terrible news.

zade
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm watching the results on LAtimes, the gap between yes and no has moved from 12 to 10 to 8 percent in the last few minutes, 14% reporting, is there still hope for this?

silentshout
11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
*cries*

Fox McCloud
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the marijuana growers came out and voted against it, merely to keep their profits artificially high.

either way, looks like California is *definitely* not even remotely on the road to becoming even a tiny tiny friend of liberty.

BetaMale
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
is there still hope for this?

It'd be easier on you if you lost all hope for anything in a CA election.

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
looks like California is *definitely* not even remotely on the road to becoming even a tiny tiny friend of liberty.
Why doesn't NH take the lead on legalizing pot, the land of "Live Free or Die"?

mport1
11-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm watching the results on LAtimes, the gap between yes and no has moved from 12 to 10 to 8 percent in the last few minutes, 14% reporting, is there still hope for this?

Nope, not likely.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 10:29 PM
California is in so much trouble its scary

BamaAla
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Why doesn't NH take the lead on legalizing pot, the land of "Live Free or Die"?

+1

I have been thinking hard about the FSP. One would think that NH would lead they way, but a quick look at NORML shows that they aren't even as good as my neighboring state of Mississippi.

pcosmar
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
:confused:
Hand wringing and gnashing of teeth,,and the vote hasn't even been counted.

But it's California,, the media is psychic.
;)

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 10:35 PM
+1

I have been thinking hard about the FSP. One would think that NH would lead they way, but a quick look at NORML shows that they aren't even as good as my neighboring state of Mississippi.
Is there a FSP for the West? NH is a little too far for me, especially since the airlines system has gone fascist.

HOLLYWOOD
11-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Don't worry... the GOP will cut California's Nursing BAILOUT Nipple off.

No more bailouts of anykind for the MARXIST state

BuddyRey
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Is there a FSP for the West? NH is a little too far for me, especially since the airlines system has gone fascist.

Free State Wyoming shows a lot of promise. The guy who organized it wrote a book too, outlining exactly how a libertarian takeover of the state could be done, called Molon Labe!

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Free State Wyoming shows a lot of promise. The guy who organized it wrote a book too, outlining exactly how a libertarian takeover of the state could be done, called Molon Labe!

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/
Cool. I remember reading that WY was 2nd on the list.

I know almost nothing about WY, except that it's the home of Cheney (shiver). Are they pretty laid back there, or more religious fundie types? I was a former liberal, but still prefer to hang with liberal types rather than conservative types.

BuddyRey
11-02-2010, 11:13 PM

I know almost nothing about WY, except that it's the home of Cheney (shiver). Are they pretty laid back there, or more religious fundie types? I was a former liberal, but still prefer to hang with liberal types rather than conservative types.

I know exactly what you mean (I'm an ex-lib too). From what I know, most of the Western states have a pretty live-and-let-live attitude, provided nobody forces anything on their neighbors. It's certainly not as socially liberal as, say, New Hampshire. But in a state of only 550,000 people (yes, you read that number correctly), a couple hundred really principled libertarians can really shift the politics over there if they're organized. You might could get a pretty good sense of the flavor of the activism, as well as the character of the participants, by checking out their web forums.

Like you, I'm also really interested in the FSP, and I'm not entirely in the bag for Wyoming either. But strategically, I think the FSP made a bit of a blunder when they chose a heavily populated Northeastern state partly agreeable to their views instead of a very sparsely populated western state slightly less agreeable. As Kenneth Royce said, the FSP saw New Hampshire for immediate libertarian appeal it already had instead of seeing Wyoming for the even greater long-term potential that could have been cultivated there.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Damn!

56.2%-43.8%

Kregisen
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
This had so much promise. It was up huge at one point......damn scare tactics can do anything.

The good news is, eventhough we won't be able to see a state challenge the federal government, it was still a shitty bill that wasn't anything more than the tiniest of baby steps in the direction of freedom.

speciallyblend
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
fight the power, eat brownies!!

BamaAla
11-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Same here. We may be shit out of luck though; it looks like the FSP hasn't accomplished any of their lofty goals.

Sad to see that this measure failed. I wonder if a big Republican turnout killed it or something else.

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I know exactly what you mean (I'm an ex-lib too). From what I know, most of the Western states have a pretty live-and-let-live attitude, provided nobody forces anything on their neighbors. It's certainly not as socially liberal as, say, New Hampshire. But in a state of only 550,000 people (yes, you read that number correctly), a couple hundred really principled libertarians can really shift the politics over there if they're organized. You might could get a pretty good sense of the flavor of the activism, as well as the character of the participants, by checking out their web forums.
Yeah, I'm thinking WY is too small and cowboy for me. lol. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll continue this conversation in the appropriate thread.

Now back to free the weed!

GreenLP
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Same here. We may be shit out of luck though; it looks like the FSP hasn't accomplished any of their lofty goals.
Maybe they should shift to the FCP (Free County Project)?

Sad to see that this measure failed. I wonder if a big Republican turnout killed it or something else.
Cali has digital voting, so the fix could have been in.

silentshout
11-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the marijuana growers came out and voted against it, merely to keep their profits artificially high.

either way, looks like California is *definitely* not even remotely on the road to becoming even a tiny tiny friend of liberty.

The results now have Humboldt and Mendocino counties as voting about 54% No..so yeah, I think you are correct.

mport1
11-03-2010, 04:09 AM
+1

Marijuana laws are terrible in NH compared to many of the ways it is freer than other states. I think the FSP could help change this. However, there are only a few hundred people who have made the move so far. If that number was in the thousands or got to the 20,000 expected on the project's completion, I think there would be some progress.