PDA

View Full Version : Will Rand Paul Filibuster the Debt Ceiling?

jclay2
11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
What do you guys think?

TheeJoeGlass
11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
What do you guys think?

Hope so!

teacherone
11-02-2010, 08:09 PM
that would be his moment of glory

hold the Dept. of Ed hostage!

sevin
I hope he does and that it sends the U.S. government into default. Better sooner than later.

UtahApocalypse
I would love to watch him speaking to the empty senate floor at 2:00am lol

MRoCkEd
11-02-2010, 08:10 PM
He better!

Patrick Henry
11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I sure hope so!

Paulfan05
11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Not 100% sure its a good idea....

teacherone
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM

it would be unconscionable for him to vote to raise the national debt after this campaign.

sailingaway
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I think we have to give him some room to position himself. He didn't look too thrilled at the 'End the Fed' chant at his party when he just a couple of days ago soothingly said he wasn't really calling for that, he just wanted this real audit and for interest rates to be set by the market.... He has his own way of selling things and KEEPING it from being sensationalistic seems to be part of that.

MaxPower
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I will be ever so proud of him if he does.

ctiger2
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope he does and that it sends the U.S. government into default. Better sooner than later.

+1 that would be the shit.

terp
11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think he'll vote to raise the debt ceiling. The question is whether he'll filibuster the vote.

Reason
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM

This might be true.

axiomata
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
There's quite a few books that I'd like to see him read on the Senate floor during his filibuster,

boat6868
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I think we have to give him some room to position himself. He didn't look too thrilled at the 'End the Fed' chant at his party when he just a couple of days ago soothingly said he wasn't really calling for that, he just wanted this real audit and for interest rates to be set by the market.... He has his own way of selling things and KEEPING it from being sensationalistic seems to be part of that.

Agree. He needs to be given room to operate. He is a smart guy and will make us proud!!

awake
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Cause the debt ceiling is TOO DAMN HIGH!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/10/20/alg_jimmy_mcmillan_101910.jpg

obijuan
11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't think he'll vote to raise the debt ceiling. The question is whether he'll filibuster the vote.

This is the question. I think he'll concentrate on fixing things (balanced budget amendment) before blowing them up. But I do think his "You don't take the option off the table" quote applies here.

TVMH
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't know about the debt ceiling, but judging by his campaign rhetoric, one could reasonably expect him to filibuster any budget legislation that is not balanced.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. ;)

jclay2
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I desperately hope that when Rand Paul does position himself, he makes a stand and truly makes it a turning point. Looks like for now, I will be looking most towards a possible Ron Paul Chairmanship.

sofia
11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Rand will not filibuster anything.

He will vote the right way.....but don't expect him to do anything that will rock the boat too much.

Schiff was the guy to do that. Rand wont.

jclay2
11-02-2010, 08:54 PM

He will vote the right way.....but don't expect him to do anything that will rock the boat too much.

I fear you might be right.

TVMH
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Right...because Rand Paul never once rocked the boat during his campaign.

Jeebus...even in victory you concede defeat.

GTFO...please. :cool:

lx43
11-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I hope so, I didn't give him as much $$$$ as I did for him to go with the flow.

alex_florida
11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I fear you might be right.

So do I... Damn!

TVMH
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
So do I... Damn!

hahaha...y'all really suck at trolling.

The night of a victorious campaign is NOT the night to sow seeds of discontent.

Either everyone's out celebrating or the folks you're appealing to already agree with you.

No wonder y'all lost.
(and I say that as kindly as I possibly can. ;) ).

jclay2
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
hahaha...y'all really suck at trolling.

The night of a victorious campaign is NOT the night to sow seeds of discontent.

Either everyone's out celebrating or the folks you're appealing to already agree with you.

No wonder y'all lost.
(and I say that as kindly as I possibly can. ;) ).

The only thing that worries me is all the people answering "I HOPE", me included.

Philhelm
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
There's quite a few books that I'd like to see him read on the Senate floor during his filibuster,

He should start with the Constitution.

sailingaway
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM

I disagree. I am just not sure he will do it his first month in office. I think there are definitely things he said he would filibuster, and MAYBE this is the lever he intended to force the balanced budget amendment. Maybe a vote on that will be his price of releasing a fillibuster. But if it isn't part of his current strategy, I think we need to let him find his way around before we expect a filibuster that will single handedly shut down govt. I think the whole reason the dems are raising it is they want to do away with the fillibuster and they are trying to make Rand into the boogyman to scare votes to remove the filibuster in their direction.

BenIsForRon
11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, if a filibuster would truly bring about a global depression, then Rand should do a small filibuster, to bring attention to the issue, then vote to raise the cap.

During the filibuster, he could force congress to compromise on things like the Fed, TARP, and military spending.

I know some of you are thinking: Bring on the global economic collapse! I've got my guns and non-perishable foods! I don't know if that's the best way to go though.

And that's all if the non-raising of the cap actually would cause turmoil, which I'm not so sure it would.

low preference guy
11-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, if a filibuster would truly bring about a global depression, then Rand should do a small filibuster, to bring attention to the issue, then vote to raise the cap.

During the filibuster, he could force congress to compromise on things like the Fed, TARP, and military spending.

I know some of you are thinking: Bring on the global economic collapse! I've got my guns and non-perishable foods! I don't know if that's the best way to go though.

And that's all if the non-raising of the cap actually would cause turmoil, which I'm not so sure it would.

It won't bring collapse because the Fed can just print money to pay the interest on the debt.

sailingaway
11-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Under my theory it doesn't matter if it ACTUALLY would bring tumoil, enough votes to get rid of the filibuster only have to be CONVINCED that it will.

BenIsForRon
11-02-2010, 10:49 PM
It won't bring collapse because the Fed can just print money to pay the interest on the debt.

Is that the only way to avoid a collapse in this scenario?

I'm thinking that the liberty movement needs to come up with a plan now that it has a lot of power. How can we bring about an orderly collapse? I seriously think that's the best we can hope for. It's either that or complete chaos.

CUnknown
11-02-2010, 10:50 PM
If not letting the debt ceiling go up, or having a balanced budget, causes a worldwide depression, maybe it should happen. That is a seriously fucked up thing to have happen, from something that seems common sense. If that's really true, the system is so fucked it can't possibly survive.

low preference guy
11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Is that the only way to avoid a collapse in this scenario?

I'm thinking that the liberty movement needs to come up with a plan now that it has a lot of power. How can we bring about an orderly collapse? I seriously think that's the best we can hope for. It's either that or complete chaos.

It's really not too difficult, but it's hard to sell. Cut down a trillion dollars in foreign policy a year, as Ron Paul proposes. Then suspend Social Security for those who can pay their own retirement, i.e., means testing. Make it a welfare program for the truly needy.

Those are the two big items. You can save even more money by legalizing pot, abolishing departments, etc.

BenIsForRon
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
This leads me to another question. Would even the threat of a filibuster cause turmoil in the markets? It seems to me that it would.

sailingaway
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
This leads me to another question. Would even the threat of a filibuster cause turmoil in the markets? It seems to me that it would.

The PPT would make damned sure it would, I suspect.

DeadheadForPaul
11-02-2010, 11:12 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're the type of person that badmouthed Rand for 16 months instead of helping him out.

First, you say he has no shot.

Next, you say he's a traitor. A fake. A statist.

Now that's he's victorious, you say he's a worthless sheep and pawn of the elite. Just part of the old Washington game, right? You know this before the man has even stepped into office.

If you're not gonna help, then get out of the way.
A delusional truther...who would have thought...

anaconda
11-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Might be a bad move politically. He can always vote "no" and then sit back and blame the others.

anaconda
11-02-2010, 11:59 PM

But will they be able to "roll over" the debt with continued bond sales? When do the Chinese finally say "I think we're gonna pass on U.S. bonds..." These are not bonds in perpetuity.

low preference guy
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
But will they be able to "roll over" the debt with continued bond sales? When do the Chinese finally say "I think we're gonna pass on U.S. bonds..." These are not bonds in perpetuity.

there are two choices in that situation:

1. cut drastically spending, including SS through means testing and foreign policy expenditures, so you can pay back the interest on the debt

2. chaos

TVMH
11-03-2010, 12:24 AM
This particular thread is full TROLOLOLOL...:rolleyes:

He hasn't even been sworn in to address the dastardly deeds of the past.

Jeezus...do I need to set up a new-diaper exchange? (it's looking like a "growth market" at this point o_O ).

Have some faith, bishes. ;)

YouTube - Trololo Sing Along! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY)

K466
11-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I hope so. He better.

doctor jones
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I think he should vote against raising the debt ceiling but not filibuster it. He needs to pick his battles. Filibuster acts of war or the senate not voting for transparency at the Fed.

sailingaway
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I think he should vote against raising the debt ceiling but not filibuster it. He needs to pick his battles. Filibuster acts of war or the senate not voting for transparency at the Fed.

Or FISA/Patriot Act. Let those snakes defend their votes.

jmdrake
11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
He shouldn't have to. The GOP commands an overwhelming majority in the house. If the dems can cobble enough congressmen to get a majority to vote for increasing the debt ceiling then we know who to target with primary challenges in 2012.