PDA

View Full Version : Support ballot question 1: It ain't what a lot of people think it is

specsaregood
11-02-2010, 07:13 AM

thrillhouse
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah I was thinking about this one myself...

Basically no more raiding of the unemployment fund, pension fund, etc for other purposes.

You would think that the unions are against it but they know that if people saw how much was actually going to their pensions that it would hit the fan.

Based on that I think I'll vote yes on it. This may be a good question for the main board as there may be more in this that we are not seeing.

Valli6
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I also found the Mulshine arcticle you posted above.

STATE TO THE PAYMENT OF EMPLOYEE BENEFITS."
Many voters are afraid that this is the proposal discussed earlier in the year that would have forced the state to dedicate money each year to pay off public-employee pensions.

It's not. I called Assemblyman Mike Carroll of Morris County and he explained it to me.
After discussing this with Mike, I hereby offer this interpretive statement:

"This amendment basically prevents the governor from raiding the unemployment fund any time he's too damn lazy to cut spending the way he promised during the campaign."

So it's a good amendment. But I can't blame anyone who votes against it.
I feel sorry for the poor voter who hits the polls on his way to work Tuesday, before he's had his coffee, and tries to figure out what either the question or the interpretive statement means.
I bet a lot of people will vote no either because they believe this is that other measure or because they can't figure out just what it is.
(I recall Paul Mulshine saying a lot of good things about Ron Paul in the past.)

Another:

Anne Ruach Nicolas, executive director of the League of Women Voters of New Jersey said... “The essence of the ballot question is what you believe should be done with the money paid by a worker and her or his employer into the state’s disability, unemployment, and similar worker benefit funds.”

The amendment would prevent the state from dipping into those various funds to use the money for other purposes, something that past governors have approved 22 times from 1992 to 2007.
http://www.shorenewstoday.com/index.php/politics/5212-question-would-end-using-worker-benefit-funds-to-pay-states-bills.html