PDA

View Full Version : Florida

kidal25
11-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi guys. Sorry for just posting randomly for the first time in a long time, but I have a question for Florida voting.

What and who the heck should I vote for tomorrow in the Nov 2nd elections in Florida? I wish I was in Kentucky to vote for Rand but obviously I can't. I just want to do my part for liberty so if someone can please give me a cheat sheet on what amendments to vote for and who to vote for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dannno
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I noticed we have one of these threads (or two) for CA, other states should be stepping it up.

teamrican1
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi guys. Sorry for just posting randomly for the first time in a long time, but I have a question for Florida voting.

What and who the heck should I vote for tomorrow in the Nov 2nd elections in Florida? I wish I was in Kentucky to vote for Rand but obviously I can't. I just want to do my part for liberty so if someone can please give me a cheat sheet on what amendments to vote for and who to vote for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

One nice thing about Florida is absentee balloting is quite easy. Next year just tell them to send your ballot and vote via mail. That's what I did. As far as voting, for Governor you should probably vote Scott. No viable Liberty alternative and Sink wants to raise taxes and supports Obamacare. For Senate vote Snitcker or whatever the Libertarian's name is. Rubio will win but when he turns in to a raving neocon once he gets to Washington you will have a clean conscience. Your individual house district varies, but the choices here are likely both horrible so who cares? In terms of Amendments, vote

Yes on 1 (ends public financing)
No on 2 (would give special tax break to soldiers)
No on 4 (makes development more difficult and expensive)
No on 5 (tries to end gerrymandering- bad for our movement since safe R districts are where our candidates have the best hope)
No on 6 (tries to end gerrymandering)
Yes on 8 (will loosen class to student ratio law)

bobbyw24
11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
www.liberty-candidates.org/Florida/

Dreamofunity
11-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Vote against amendment 4.

Elwar
11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
No on 5 (tries to end gerrymandering- bad for our movement since safe R districts are where our candidates have the best hope)

I was considering voting yes on 5 and 6. Sure, it takes away the Republican edge that we have right now. But the districts are so skewed as far as gerrymandering that principle would dictate that fairness of district lines would be good to jump on now so it wouldn't come back to haunt us in the future if Dems got into power. Sure, the Dems are pushing for it, but I'm thinking that districts that aren't as skewed to Dems or Reps could be taken by a candidate that is in the middle or libertarian.

Not sure, I'm still on the edge. Leaning toward voting no for most of them.

bobbyw24
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I was considering voting yes on 5 and 6. Sure, it takes away the Republican edge that we have right now. But the districts are so skewed as far as gerrymandering that principle would dictate that fairness of district lines would be good to jump on now so it wouldn't come back to haunt us in the future if Dems got into power. Sure, the Dems are pushing for it, but I'm thinking that districts that aren't as skewed to Dems or Reps could be taken by a candidate that is in the middle or libertarian.

Not sure, I'm still on the edge. Leaning toward voting no for most of them.

The NAACP and Acorn support Amendments 5 & 6.

Elwar
11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
The NAACP and Acorn support Amendments 5 & 6.

I know this.

But if Acorn and NAACP were trying to end the income tax because they didn't like Republicans getting all of that money I would still support it.

Elwar
11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Nevermind, just read the actual text of the amendment that's going into the Constitution and it hardly even adresses gerrymandering and geography. And it adds equality for races and language areas.

Gotta read the text of those things...quite deceiving.

Brett85
11-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Vote for Rubio.

Elwar
11-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Vote for Rubio.

Just got done voting. Voted for Snitker.

Rubio has Cheney's and Romney's endorsements. And he's pro-war.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-02-2010, 07:00 AM
T. Conservative pimping Rubio...never saw that one coming. ::chuckles::

bobbyw24
11-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I wonder how Constitution Party candidate DeCastro will do in the senate race.

bobbyw24
11-02-2010, 07:03 AM
says:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=vhkrrzdab&v=001Msfh5C4b-aeFh2IiqMjGHNd5zi_KGmwUl_0K0cluUCQ-WViJs4duoFRFdosPFXadVXx6swzQ88DmAbS08RUDueKchJvD15 haaAqXHe3VeiyRWXX20CUsDTBypo5_PBNCFNUwJiqmlDJrZDHG zueiu65G8MQkq762qttriIWjF1ASKrVVViMUfGoIRDUqryBQzc 3i1dzx3q50ZTThgf96j5yr1oM49lSh4uv9mFk3EU5C6KI9sO2M CqO8rP1Zqe6lTof-HH605SSl6Pw2QflBPz4QXywO-vnYXWP6xM1BZK344x6N11z46vUZUG1X1JPyXLqcVNKkCNfK9sR COj45YA%3D%3D

Elwar
11-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I admit that I didn't do enough research on our Mosquito control. I chose Michael Moore...because his name was far enough down the list and I hadn't heard much about him. So I figured he'd be losing anyway, and my vote for the winner wouldn't be seen as a "referendum" on mosquito control.

erowe1
11-02-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not a Rubio fan, and I'm not 100% sure I'd vote for him if I lived there. But I think I would.

I was dead set against him for awhile, and am still skeptical. But the thing that got me to think I'd like to see what he actually does in the Senate was this blog post:
http://www.independent.org/blog/index.php?p=5103
Holcombe says in one of the comments that he was an economic adviser to Rubio, which tells me he has more of an inside scoop on his philosophy than I can get just by observing how he plays the political game.

I'm a big fan of the Independent Institute, so I admit I'm kind of biased in favor giving the benefit of the doubt to what I read from their fellows. Here's Holcombe's bio there:
http://www.independent.org/aboutus/person_detail.asp?id=528

mnewcomb
11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
One nice thing about Florida is absentee balloting is quite easy. Next year just tell them to send your ballot and vote via mail. That's what I did. As far as voting, for Governor you should probably vote Scott. No viable Liberty alternative and Sink wants to raise taxes and supports Obamacare. For Senate vote Snitcker or whatever the Libertarian's name is. Rubio will win but when he turns in to a raving neocon once he gets to Washington you will have a clean conscience. Your individual house district varies, but the choices here are likely both horrible so who cares? In terms of Amendments, vote

I voted yes to all except 2.

jazzloversinc
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Rubio did sign the Tea Party contract to limit government etc. Vote for Rick Scott or Alex Sink will NOT allow us to nullify obamacare and cap and tax. Rubio is a win. If you are in the panhandle please vote for Steve Southerland..he is a constitutionalist and I know him .

libertybrewcity
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
What happened to Snitker?

jazzloversinc
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Snitker is not going to win. The libertarians should focus on trying to win local and state elections...then move to national elections.

Elwar
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Snitker is not going to win. The libertarians should focus on trying to win local and state elections...then move to national elections.

Snitker was the only Libertarian on my ballot.

teamrican1
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM

A candidate in the middle is NOT a libertarian. The "middle" is inhabited by people who support the absolute worst policies of both parties. The best chance we have of electing liberty candidates is to run Liberty candidates in gerrymandered "R" districts. That's how Ron Paul wins. That's how Justin Amash won. It's easier because all you have to do is win the primary and you are pretty much assured of winning the general. Almost all the true liberty candidates who will be serving in the Congress this coming year will be coming from safe Republican districts. "Centrist" districts like BJ Lawson's are much, much, harder to win. 5 and 6 will create an estimated +3 gain for Democrats in Florida's congressional delegation and it will make it much harder for our kind of candidate to win in Republican districts. It is a disaster.

mnewcomb
11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
A candidate in the middle is NOT a libertarian. The "middle" is inhabited by people who support the absolute worst policies of both parties. The best chance we have of electing liberty candidates is to run Liberty candidates in gerrymandered "R" districts. That's how Ron Paul wins. That's how Justin Amash won. It's easier because all you have to do is win the primary and you are pretty much assured of winning the general. Almost all the true liberty candidates who will be serving in the Congress this coming year will be coming from safe Republican districts. "Centrist" districts like BJ Lawson's are much, much, harder to win. 5 and 6 will create an estimated +3 gain for Democrats in Florida's congressional delegation and it will make it much harder for our kind of candidate to win in Republican districts. It is a disaster.

Sorry... I'd rather not game the system. I live in Orlando, but my legislative district goes up to Mims, around Cocoa, and then into Cocoa Beach...

I'm sick of the gerrymandering...

Elwar
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm sick of the gerrymandering...

I am as well. But after reading the bill it doesn't really even address gerrymandering.

The text going into the Constitution:
In establishing Legislative district boundaries:

(1) No apportionment plan or district shall be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent; and districts shall not be drawn with the intent or result of denying or abridging the equal opportunity of racial or language minorities to participate in the political process or to diminish their ability to elect representatives of their choice; and districts shall consist of contiguous territory.

(2) Unless compliance with the standards in this subsection conflicts with the standards in subsection (1) or with federal law, districts shall be as nearly equal in population as is practicable; districts shall be compact; and districts shall, where feasible, utilize existing political and geographical boundaries.

(3) The order in which the standards within sub-sections (1) and (2) of this section are set forth shall not be read to establish any priority of one standard over the other within that subsection.

mnewcomb
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure how it doesn't address gerrymandering. Existing political/geographic boundaries implies city/county boundaries.

Winter Park, a relatively small well-to-do area in Orlando is split among 4 congressional districts... I live in Orlando proper, but am lumped in with guys all the way up in Mims and Cocoa Beach!

As to the equal opportunity issue, that addresses the drawing of districts to divide and conquer minorities. Dividing a large minority area up so that smaller majority areas can remain intact seems to be the goal of this restriction.

As it is, the Legislature gets to create the districts with ABSOLUTELY NO/ZERO RESTRICTIONS.

K466
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Vote for Snitker :D

Definitely vote No on Four!

There's no good choice in the governors election so I reluctantly gave my vote to Scott.

I voted yes on 5 & 6 because I disagree with gerrymandering in principle, even though that might mean a gain for the democrats.

Elwar
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure how it doesn't address gerrymandering. Existing political/geographic boundaries implies city/county boundaries.

Existing political boundaries....such as existing congressional districts...

Elwar
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I voted yes to all except 2.

You voted yes for ending development in Florida (Prop 4)?

mnewcomb
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes. The sprawl in Orlando / Orange County is out of control.

LatinsforPaul
11-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Senator: Snitker Libertarian Party
Congressman: Porter Whig Party District 25
Governor: Scott Republican Party
Attorney General: Bondi Republican Party
Chief Financial Officer: Atwater Republican Party

Amendment 1: YES
Amendment 2: No
Amendment 4: No
Amendment 5: No
Amendment 6: No
Amendment 8: No

Referendum (balancing the Federal Budget): YES

kidal25
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys. This is how I ended up voting.
Senator-Snitker
Governor-Michael E. Arth (The republicats won't have any of my votes. I like what Arth said about a couple of things.

For the Amendments I did this. Thanks teamrican1