PDA

View Full Version : Should we become the anti-war protesters?

libertyfan101
10-31-2010, 07:20 PM
YouTube - Liberal Hecklers Won't Let Obama Speak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OSC3BgmUA)

I watch this video and ask myself. Where the hell are the anti-war protesters?
The silence from the anti-war liberals toward Obama is pure hypocrisy. We should be the one's to challenge Obama and the GOP with there continuation of undeclared endless wars. Because no one else is doing it. I believe it's up to us to offer the American people a resistance to our interventionist foreign policies. And a clear choice in 2012.

paulitics
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
The antiwar protestors are not being funded by Moveon.org or any other Soros funded group.

I think we should really get out in front of the antiwar movement now, before the "conservatives" get us back into another war, and the phony liberals start to care again.

libertyfan101
10-31-2010, 07:33 PM
The antiwar protestors are not being funded by Moveon.org or any other Soros funded group.

I think we should really get out in front of the antiwar movement now, before the "conservatives" get us back into another war, and the phony liberals start to care again.

Great answer. I agree 100%. Especially if Paul runs again. Then we will be the ones to truly offer an alternative in 2012.

Indy Vidual
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
If you want to approach the anti-war crowd, come armed with Economics textbooks (or slim-jims) because many of them are clueless.

libertyfan101
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
If you want to approach the anti-war crowd, come armed with Economics textbooks (or slim-jims) because many of them are clueless.

I agree. But some one needs to be the non-interventionist voice in this political charade. Betwwen the 2 parties and even the tea party. None are offering a change in foreign policy. It's the same BS continuation and even expansion of the wars and military industrial complex. It's really up to us.

Indy Vidual
10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
^^^
Great idea

Vessol
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
We're the only Anti-War Movement that's still alive.

libertyfan101
10-31-2010, 08:02 PM

And I think it's time we stepped it up.

Anti Federalist
10-31-2010, 08:03 PM

That^^^^ +rep

Vessol
10-31-2010, 08:03 PM
And I think it's time we stepped it up.

We've been stepping up to it for awhile. The media basically ignores us. The anti-war crowd during the Bush years are completely manufactured and astroturf that disappeared as soon as a Leftie was in office.

djinwa
10-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I am not anti-war. If we were truly threatened, or attacked, I'm for all-out war. I guess I am anti-stupidwar.

When we call ourselves anti-war, many think we'll just lay down and let others trample all over us when attacked, and they shut us out.

AGRP
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
There's no anti-war protest to join.

They stopped when Obama was anointed.

Anti Federalist
10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
We've been stepping up to it for awhile. The media basically ignores us. The anti-war crowd during the Bush years are completely manufactured and astroturf that disappeared as soon as a Leftie was in office.

That too^^^

Inkblots
10-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I am not anti-war. If we were truly threatened, or attacked, I'm for all-out war. I guess I am anti-stupidwar.

When we call ourselves anti-war, many think we'll just lay down and let others trample all over us when attacked, and they shut us out.

That's a good point. Going forward, we would do well to avoid MoveOn-style (fake) anti-war rhetoric, e.g. 'no blood for oil', 'Bush lied, people died', and so on (and that's to say nothing of 'inside job' sloganeering!). The way to win supporters, both among independents and especially registered Republicans, is to emphasize the big-government aspect to war, and that the national debt is the number-one threat to our national security.

You can point out government incompetence extends to foreign policy as well as domestic programs: "The CIA said that Iraq had a nuclear weapons program and that Iran didn't!"

You can point out that invasion and attempting to nation-build is a hugely ineffective anti-terrorism strategy: "al Qaeda spent $400,000 to plan and execute the 9/11 attacks; our counter-strategy, the invasion of Afghanistan and attempt to set up a liberal democracy there, has so far cost nearly $400 billion dollars. If al Qaeda can continue to force us to spend one million dollars for every dollar they spend, we will lose in the long run."

You can talk about the threat posed by our massive and growing indebtedness to pay for overseas military operations: "The greatest threat to our national security is our huge debt to communist China. The British Empire was brought to an end during the Suez Crisis by the Eisenhower administration because the US owned its debt. Creditor nations can control their debtors foreign policy - is it worth ceding control of America's foreign policy to China to try and force Asian tribesmen who have been killing each other for all of recorded history to hold hands and get along?"

The key is to frame things to appeal to people who have been brought up on neoconservative rhetoric from both parties for most of their political lives.

osan
10-31-2010, 09:54 PM

Where, indeed.

The silence from the anti-war liberals toward Obama is pure hypocrisy.

And yet they see no inconsistency there. With Bush, their big yaps were going a mile a minute, and rightly. Now... <crickets>

We should be the one's to challenge Obama and the GOP with there continuation of undeclared endless wars. Because no one else is doing it. I believe it's up to us to offer the American people a resistance to our interventionist foreign policies. And a clear choice in 2012.

Agreed. It would be most interesting to see how the Obama democrat liberals react to it. I'd just have to laugh if they came out in favor of the war just because they have to be against anything the other side is doing. It would not surprise me a bit were it to come to that.

GreenLP
10-31-2010, 09:54 PM
YouTube - Liberal Hecklers Won't Let Obama Speak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OSC3BgmUA)

The silence from the anti-war liberals toward Obama is pure hypocrisy. We should be the one's to challenge Obama and the GOP with there continuation of undeclared endless wars. Because no one else is doing it. I believe it's up to us to offer the American people a resistance to our interventionist foreign policies. And a clear choice in 2012.
+1

The anti-war movement in the US is pathetic. Other countries get their streets shut down from such huge turnouts.

Kilrain
10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
"We're funding global aids." :o

Some kind of new redistribution program, I bet. ;)

nobody's_hero
10-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I can't figure out which is worse. 'Republicans' shouting "U-S-A" or democrats shouting "O-Ba-Ma".

Of course, we chant "Ron Paul" sometimes, but it isn't as much about the man as the message. These Obama supporters, on the other hand, genuinely want someone to rule over their lives and make decisions for them.

klamath
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
If you really want to win this hammer "Your sons and daughters are dying in a NO win war."

Dripping Rain
10-31-2010, 10:38 PM
speciallyblend wrote something about this before
he said we should forum CODE RED. The right's antiwar organization
sadly i couldnt find the thread

parocks
11-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Some Ron Paul supporters are very happy with all the tea party candidates.

Other Ron Paul supporters aren't 100% with Rand.

The Ron Paul supporters who aren't 100% with Rand might be happier if they became solely focused on Anti-War.

The Democrats might need a tea party, too. 100% anti war. How about 100% pro-marijuana. How about throwing the 9/11 truthers in there? Other people who are anti-conspiracy? That's the tea party of the left's message.

Basically, watch the video of the speech in Philly 2007 - focus on the things that Ron Paul was talking about there, and what the tea party is not talking about now, and focus on those things.

The tea party is really just about half of Ron Paul's message. The "left" tea party or Democrat tea party or the other tea party, can be the other half of the message. And primary the Democrats with candidates that have the right core message.

Imagine a scenario where the Republicans tea party candidate wins and the Democrat tea party candidate wins. They could say, if they wanted to - "we agree on everything".

amy31416
11-01-2010, 04:14 AM
speciallyblend wrote something about this before
he said we should forum CODE RED. The right's antiwar organization
sadly i couldnt find the thread

Not too shabby of an idea.

The warmongers probably think they've got a pass for the next two years because they've got the stealth warmonger-in-chief, and are getting more blatant warmongers in the house.

Somebody has to be a massive thorn in their side--and it's obvious that the left isn't going to do it. We need to make it "cool" to be anti-war. And set aside other politics to get this done.

If we can't stop them from doing this in our name, there's little else that matters anyways--we'll continue to lose civil liberties, the economy will continue to tank and terrorism will increase. They have to be stopped.

idirtify
11-01-2010, 06:07 AM
That's a good point. Going forward, we would do well to avoid MoveOn-style (fake) anti-war rhetoric, e.g. 'no blood for oil', 'Bush lied, people died', and so on (and that's to say nothing of 'inside job' sloganeering!). The way to win supporters, both among independents and especially registered Republicans, is to emphasize the big-government aspect to war, and that the national debt is the number-one threat to our national security.

You can point out government incompetence extends to foreign policy as well as domestic programs: "The CIA said that Iraq had a nuclear weapons program and that Iran didn't!"

You can point out that invasion and attempting to nation-build is a hugely ineffective anti-terrorism strategy: "al Qaeda spent $400,000 to plan and execute the 9/11 attacks; our counter-strategy, the invasion of Afghanistan and attempt to set up a liberal democracy there, has so far cost nearly $400 billion dollars. If al Qaeda can continue to force us to spend one million dollars for every dollar they spend, we will lose in the long run."

You can talk about the threat posed by our massive and growing indebtedness to pay for overseas military operations: "The greatest threat to our national security is our huge debt to communist China. The British Empire was brought to an end during the Suez Crisis by the Eisenhower administration because the US owned its debt. Creditor nations can control their debtors foreign policy - is it worth ceding control of America's foreign policy to China to try and force Asian tribesmen who have been killing each other for all of recorded history to hold hands and get along?"

The key is to frame things to appeal to people who have been brought up on neoconservative rhetoric from both parties for most of their political lives.

You mean “what we are already doing”. Right? IOW we are already the antiwar movement, just a more intelligent version; one that opposes the ROOTS of war – and isn’t even recognized by much of the establishment (which is good). Right?

Imaginos
11-01-2010, 07:21 AM
This.
And our voice must be heard!
Fuck you Military Industrial Complex!
Fuck you AIPAC!
Fuck you warmongers!
If you love war so much, fight the war with your money and your lives (and your children's lives), not ours!

V-rod
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
How are we going to fund wars five years from now?

phill4paul
11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
This personally is my pet-peeve. I am a believer and adherent of the anti-war movement.
I REALIZE that there are other political factors involved but in this one issue I place all my eggs.
If we cannot succeed in this one effort then it really doesn't matter.
If we cannot succeed in this one effort then there is the force in place to be focused internally and the mindset of individuals that will go along with it.

Inflation
11-02-2010, 02:10 AM
The anti-war left will start to wake up from their trance soon, after Pelosi the shape-shifting sorceress is contained and safely stored in a lead-lined chamber under the Smithsonian.

anaconda
11-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I thought we were "anti-war" protesters.

thehighwaymanq
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
We need to become the anti-war movement and gain momentum with it. There really isn't a solid anti-war movement anywhere- and we're not loud enough. I went to the Students for Liberty conference a couple weeks ago and one of the speakers asked the same question, "Why are we not the anti-war movement?"

That should be a major talking point for '12.

LittleLightShining
11-02-2010, 10:30 AM

I've been helping a great local candidate run for House here in VT. This morning at the polling place Pat Leahy showed up with his wife and an entourage of young, naive Democrats. He approached my youngest and I and introduced himself to my son, shook my hand (apparently not remembering the Constitution incident) and we told him the wars need to end. He looked concerned.

As he should. He got his ass handed to him on the war in the final US Senate debate last week. He wouldn't have shown up here if he wasn't worried.

Oh, and Joe Biden was in state yesterday. We had a "It's the Wars, Stupid" protest along the motorcade route.

Todd
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
don't you think if people want to take the AW movement seriously, people should be doing more of this?

YouTube - Bradley Manning, Wikileaks Video, San Francisco, Sept 20, 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B258TVoIUNQ)

I have a friend on the left who has been to several of these events and says the right wing is curiously AWOL.

Todd
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
bump

oyarde
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I can't figure out which is worse. 'Republicans' shouting "U-S-A" or democrats shouting "O-Ba-Ma".

Of course, we chant "Ron Paul" sometimes, but it isn't as much about the man as the message. These Obama supporters, on the other hand, genuinely want someone to rule over their lives and make decisions for them.

Oh , the Obama worship is much worse .

surf
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
i've written it before - but we now are the anti-war movement and we have the best anti-war spokesman out there. unfortunately on the local level we're going to have to do what we can to spread the message of how peace or anti-obomber's-war is the best platform for winning the white-house and local congressional elections in 2012. in other words, we need to get back in form and seek common ground on social issues (for most of us that can be as sensible as medical marijuana) and get them to wrap their arms around obama's trillion dollar a year foreign policy. emphasizing peace will win us independents and democrats in the general, emphasizing it now on local levels is how we need to begin. we're not the f#cking tea party, we're the party of peace and prosperity.