PDA

View Full Version : Free State Project

Acala
10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Am I missing something or is New Hampshire pretty far behind several other states in the movement toward nullification/Tenth amendment legislation?

HOLLYWOOD
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Way Way, Way Way Way Way... Behind

New Hampshire adores John McCain too

Acala
10-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Way Way, Way Way Way Way... Behind

New Hampshire adores John McCain too

I was going to follow up with a post crowing about Arizona, but now that you brought McMeat-head into this, I should probably just shut up as we are about to send him back to the senate yet again. But at least he is now in favor of a strong border and gun rights! Ugh.

FSP-Rebel
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Lol, take a closer look my friends.. At the whole ballgame.

Epic
10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
NH will flip republican in the legislatures this election and then stuff will begin to happen more.

Indy Vidual
10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
In general:
Northern New Hampshire = Empty & Free
Southern New Hampshire = :eek:

FSP-Rebel
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
NH will flip republican in the legislatures this election and then stuff will begin to happen more.
^Smart person, just watch and see if it's like your state.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Perhaps if more people moved there things would accelerate at a faster pace...just a thought.

Acala
11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Lol, take a closer look my friends.. At the whole ballgame.

Please enlighten me. I see several states challenging Federal power in health care, firearms, drugs, and more. But NH appears to have missed the boat. What's going on?

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Please enlighten me. I see several states challenging Federal power in health care, firearms, drugs, and more. But NH appears to have missed the boat. What's going on?

NH would have been the first state with full legalization of marijuana, but it was vetoed by the Governor (it passed the legislature). As for firearms, I believe they also passed something similar to TN and MT. Like I said, if more people moved there things would be happening at a faster pace. NH is the best place to bring about a libertarian majority anywhere in the country.

toowm
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Before the FSP, NH and Montana were the only states I know of that "nullified" by rejecting federal highway dollars for seat belts and speed limits, respectively.

With FSP early movers, NH was on the forefront of the anti-Real ID movement.

With the 2008 Democrat landslide, it has mostly been a holding pattern:
- Smoking ban enacted
- Seatbelt law failed
- Several gun grabs failed
- Medical marijuana passed, but vetoed, almost overridden, including Republican support
- Increased homeschool rules failed, parental freedom bill almost passed
- No income tax or sales tax got even close to passage

Keep in mind that NH does not allow statewide ballot referendums. The 400-member legislature slows things down, which is usually a good thing (Jefferson's the tendency of government to gain an liberty to lose). The small Senate, weak Governor, and money approval through the Executive Council all serve as checks and balances that make it harder to railroad even popular changes.

That said, the "liberty block" of reps come tomorrow will be 40-60 strong, big enough to swing bills on the issues listed above.

Ricky201
11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
That said, the "liberty block" of reps come tomorrow will be 40-60 strong, big enough to swing bills on the issues listed above.

Wait, wait, wait! Did you mean that there will be 40-60 possibly to be elected to the state senate/congress!? I knew they had 4 in there, but if how I read that is correct than holy shit balls batman!

Anti Federalist
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Before the FSP, NH and Montana were the only states I know of that "nullified" by rejecting federal highway dollars for seat belts and speed limits, respectively.

With FSP early movers, NH was on the forefront of the anti-Real ID movement.

With the 2008 Democrat landslide, it has mostly been a holding pattern:
- Smoking ban enacted
- Seatbelt law failed
- Several gun grabs failed
- Medical marijuana passed, but vetoed, almost overridden, including Republican support
- Increased homeschool rules failed, parental freedom bill almost passed
- No income tax or sales tax got even close to passage

Keep in mind that NH does not allow statewide ballot referendums. The 400-member legislature slows things down, which is usually a good thing (Jefferson's the tendency of government to gain an liberty to lose). The small Senate, weak Governor, and money approval through the Executive Council all serve as checks and balances that make it harder to railroad even popular changes.

We would have been the first state to pass an "Anti Real ID" law, had it not been torpedoed in the Senate.

We passed a constitutional amendment prohibiting eminent domain takings for private enterprise in the wake of Kelo v New London before anybody else, and it has the strongest wording of any measure.

That said, the established party structure consisting mostly of Democratic Massholes in the south and French Canadian Catholics in the north and hidebound Republicans in the center and eastern parts of the state, can be just as hard to move toward freedom as in any other state

JamesButabi
11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Like I respond with most posts regarding FSP on here, you msut realize the movement hasn't technically started. Once 20,000 people pledge the migration occurs withing 5 years. Nonetheless look how much the ~900 movers have accomplished. Also local towns and cities are organizing and coordinating as activist hotspots.
www.freekeene.com
www.freegrafton.com
www.freeconcord.org
www.freemanch.com (coming soon)

As someone who has followed it closely there is definitive progression each year in both size and scope that will only continue as more people make the "early" move.

I thought the recent overturn of the ban on knives of any creed was pretty cool!

toowm
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Wait, wait, wait! Did you mean that there will be 40-60 possibly to be elected to the state senate/congress!? I knew they had 4 in there, but if how I read that is correct than holy shit balls batman!

I'd say we have about 12-20 now - remember that it's out of 400 total.

The thread on this message board has about 40 endorsed.

NHLA has ~140 endorsed http://www.nhliberty.org/2010/endorsements

Gun/marijuana/education rights groups have similar lists.

One of the more interesting liberty movements in NH this election season was in the Republican primary, when RINOs and other big government types were turned out across the state. A Republican landslide tomorrow will result in a different makeup than the 2006-2008 house, which was more "moderate."

ChaosControl
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Well its in the NE, which is just insane. I don't understand why they decided to put the FSP in a NE state. Even if it does eventually become free, its surrounded by ultra-statist crapshoots.

Free Moral Agent
11-07-2010, 11:00 PM

We got a winner!

Keith and stuff
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Well its in the NE, which is just insane. I don't understand why they decided to put the FSP in a NE state. Even if it does eventually become free, its surrounded by ultra-statist crapshoots.

Because there was a vote. The most active and concerned liberty activists in the nation did 1000s of hours of research, voted and NH came out on top by a decent amount. Why? people voted for NH for many many reasons. It had arguably the most libertarian culture in the nation. It was by far the most welcoming state. The Gov of NH became a Friend of the FSP whereas the governors of WY and ID discouraged the FSP. NH has by far the best system of government in the world. Perhaps it was that people were more likely to find jobs in the NH and DE areas when compared to all of the other states. The job market in the NH area is larger than the job market in SD/WY and MT combined. No mater how much I love liberty, many people will not move without good paying jobs.

Other reasons:
http://freestateproject.org/101Reasons
http://whynewhampshire.org/